Old 07-19-2018, 07:23 AM

CW Announces Batwoman Series in Development

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bat...cw-1202874978/

Note that this is Batwoman (Kate Kane), not Batgirl (Barbara Gordon). She's still based in Gotham City, though.

Quote:
In the series, Kate Kane, armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.
The character will be introduced during the annual crossover. According to other news, Legends of Tomorrow will not be included in the crossover. My guess is that the crossover will take place on Earth-38, where Supergirl lives. It seems like a natural fit to have Batwoman and Supergirl interact more.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
It seems like a natural fit to have Batwoman and Supergirl interact more.
Supergirl is a lesbian too?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Supergirl is a lesbian too?
Her sister is.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:08 PM

Very au courant.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 PM

Please don't be all angsty. "Kate must overcome her own demons sounds" like it will be angsty.

Is Batwoman at all light-hearted or dark comedy or is she a serious hero like the Green Arrow?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Her sister is.
In fact, in the comics Batwoman dated Maggie Sawyer--who was Alex Danvers's girlfriend on Supergirl.

Meta.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Is Batwoman at all light-hearted or dark comedy or is she a serious hero like the Green Arrow?
I hope they make it like Gotham and go super-outré. Especially since Gotham will be ending next season and there isn't anything else in that niche. Bring on the weird and wacky while still somehow retaining the grittiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
In fact, in the comics Batwoman dated Maggie Sawyer--who was Alex Danvers's girlfriend on Supergirl.
I wouldn't be surprised if Renee Montoya showed up. According to the wikis, she eventually became the Question. Hmmm....
Old 07-20-2018, 01:03 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Please don't be all angsty. "Kate must overcome her own demons sounds" like it will be angsty.

The comic is very angsty.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 PM

Here's a trailer from the CW that teases the arrival of Batwoman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG16rRK3-xo

It's just clips from past episodes, but the way it's structured implies that Batwoman will indeed be a part of Supergirl's Earth-38 rather than Earth-1. Of course, it also includes Black Lightning which is explicitly not a part of the Arrowverse (for now), so who the frak knows?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Here's a trailer from the CW that teases the arrival of Batwoman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG16rRK3-xo

It's just clips from past episodes, but the way it's structured implies that Batwoman will indeed be a part of Supergirl's Earth-38 rather than Earth-1. Of course, it also includes Black Lightning which is explicitly not a part of the Arrowverse (for now), so who the frak knows?
I'm kind of irritated by Supergirl apparently not know the identity of a masked person, Given the wide array of super-senses a Kryptonian supposedly has, she might not even notice the person she's addressing is masked, having already identified the person by smell, heartbeat, the particular arrangement of blood vessels as visible in infrared and skeletal structure as visible via x-ray... We mere humans might recognize people by sight, but I'd expect Supergirl to casually collect vastly more information about a person, to where masks and disguises are trivial, even laughable.

Not that she would laugh, as that would be rude.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I'm kind of irritated by Supergirl apparently not know the identity of a masked person, Given the wide array of super-senses a Kryptonian supposedly has, she might not even notice the person she's addressing is masked, having already identified the person by smell, heartbeat, the particular arrangement of blood vessels as visible in infrared and skeletal structure as visible via x-ray... We mere humans might recognize people by sight, but I'd expect Supergirl to casually collect vastly more information about a person, to where masks and disguises are trivial, even laughable.

Not that she would laugh, as that would be rude.
The masks are of course lead lined.

Last edited by What Exit?; 07-20-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
The masks are of course lead lined.
That's how they explained Supergirl not knowing who Guardian was underneath the mask. Of course, Cat Grant could immediately identify that he was Jimmy Olsen because he left his eyes unconcealed.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:05 AM

Ruby Rose has been cast to play Batwoman. I'm unfamiliar with her work, so I can't say whether this is a good fit.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...man-cw-1132599
Quote:
Rose's casting comes after The CW made it a priority to cast an openly gay actress to take on the role. Her credits include Netflix's Orange Is the New Black and features The Meg, Pitch Perfect 3 and John Wick: Chapter 2. Rose, also a model and recording artist — and former MTV VJ — is repped by UTA, Art2perform and Hirsch Wallerstein.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Ruby Rose has been cast to play Batwoman. I'm unfamiliar with her work, so I can't say whether this is a good fit.
I'm meh on Rose - she plays pretty much the same character in everything I've seen her in. I think the casting is a mistake because they're using the appearance as a sort of back-door pilot for (yet another) CW superhero show and I seriously can't see the actress dropping her movie career to star on a series. That means that if they wind up doing a series they'll have to re-cast the lead.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 AM

Although the Batwoman series is still in development, it is being reported everywhere that Ruby Rose would be the lead. So, not re-cast; it's just still in development.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 AM

According to IMDB, she's had some supporting roles in a few movies. Doesn't seem like much of a movie career. She probably would prefer being the lead in a TV show, which also comes with a steady paycheck.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
It's on the CW. Even without knowing the comic, I can tell you it's going to be angsty.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...man-cw-1132599
What I've seen on Reddit is largely people claiming she's not a good actor. And this was from people who were optimistic about the show saying that they now were no longer. And it wasn't because she is LGB, as they recommended others who they thought would be better.

I do think she at least looks the part. She has that type of face that looks good below the cowl. (When I look at superhero casting, I always consider looks.) But I myself have not seen her act in anything, so I do not know.

Her stint on Orange is the New Black tended to be how most people knew of her. I never got into that show.

Based on this USA article, the people on Twitter saying she's a good idea are all fellow actresses, while those who think she is bad actress or a problematic LGBT actress are all regular people. Interestingly, all the comments are from women.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
It's on the CW. Even without knowing the comic, I can tell you it's going to be angsty.
Screw being on the CW, it's Batwoman...Kate's life is full of angst. From the alcoholic haze she spent much of her time in after getting DADT'd out of West Point, to her engagement ending because her fiancee (Maggie Sawyer, as a sidenote)'s ex threatened to sue for custody of their child, to the fact that her main villains have included her (brainwashed) twin sister, and one of her (not-brainwashed) lovers.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:03 PM

Ruby Rose is 130 pounds. There is no way someone that small is going to be an effective street fighter. Wonder Woman, Supergirl, and Buffy all have powers that make them superhumanly strong. The appeal of Batman/Woman is that they are regular people who are highly skilled. She is going to need to seriously bulk up for the role.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Ruby Rose is 130 pounds. There is no way someone that small is going to be an effective street fighter. Wonder Woman, Supergirl, and Buffy all have powers that make them superhumanly strong. The appeal of Batman/Woman is that they are regular people who are highly skilled. She is going to need to seriously bulk up for the role.
They could play her up as a low-wattage version of Tony Stark: bulletproof costume with taser gloves; nightvision lenses and smoke pellets, plus an air-supply mask for when she’s tossing knockout gas grenades around; and maybe flashbangs, too, for really making an entrance; and that’s all assuming she doesn’t just, y’know, carry a gun, since after all she’s not Bruce Wayne and doesn’t have his signature hangup.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Michael Keaton is about 3 foot 2. They can make it work.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
There is no way anyone could do the grand majority of the things Batman does, Ruby Rose has as much chance of doing any of those things as Ronda Rousey.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
There is no way anyone could do the grand majority of the things Batman does, Ruby Rose has as much chance of doing any of those things as Ronda Rousey.
Rousey fought people who were the same size as her, the reason they have weight classes in UFC is she would be crushed by someone significantly bigger than her.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Rousey fought people who were the same size as her, the reason they have weight classes in UFC is she would be crushed by someone significantly bigger than her.
That doesn't mean she can do most of the things Batman does. Neither could Ben Affleck, Christian Bale, George Clooney, Val Kilmer, Michael Keaton or Adam West. Having Ruby Rose play Bat Woman is not any more unrealistic than anyone else because nothing they do is realistic.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
That doesn't mean she can do most of the things Batman does. Neither could Ben Affleck, Christian Bale, George Clooney, Val Kilmer, Michael Keaton or Adam West.

Well, maybe Adam West.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:46 PM
BANNED

A Batperson then.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
Although the Batwoman series is still in development, it is being reported everywhere that Ruby Rose would be the lead. So, not re-cast; it's just still in development.
To clarify: Rose will play Batwoman in a series of cross-over eps on the CW. It's an annual thing they do, with a story running across the other DC series. What I'm saying is that while Rose will easily do the 3 episode cross-over (apparently Legends won't be part of this one), I'm dubious about her doing an entire series, so they would need a new Batwoman for that.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:00 AM

And the point other people are making is that she's already on board for the series. Or,at least, that's what all the reporting seems to be saying, as it all mentions the new show. I suspect it was a requirement to get the the Supergirl part that she be on contract for the new series if it comes out.

I mean, the episodes are likely to function as a backdoor pilot, and are thus connected. If her performance on Supergirl gets the show made, why wouldn't they want to lock her down for the show proper?
Old 08-09-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And the point other people are making is that she's already on board for the series. Or,at least, that's what all the reporting seems to be saying, as it all mentions the new show. I suspect it was a requirement to get the the Supergirl part that she be on contract for the new series if it comes out.
I really, really doubt that. Rose was cast for a 3 episode run and yeah, if the character is popular they might try to shoehorn yet another DC series into the schedule, but saying Rose committed to something so up in the air as a "possible series is in development." That's the entertainment industry's version of "vaporware."
Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 AM

Has the CW ever not created a series in the Arrowverse when they said they would? Barry Allen was introduced on Arrow, and the next year they gave us The Flash. Hawkgirl and Vandal Savage were introduced during the first Arrow/The Flash crossover and the next year they gave us Legends of Tomorrow. The Flash crossovered with Supergirl and lo and behold they're in the same multiverse. If the CW says they want to make a Batwoman series that's part of the Arrowverse, I think they're probably going to make a Batwoman series.

Ruby Rose herself seems quite committed to playing the role: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...asting-1133434
Old 08-09-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
I really, really doubt that. Rose was cast for a 3 episode run and yeah, if the character is popular they might try to shoehorn yet another DC series into the schedule, but saying Rose committed to something so up in the air as a "possible series is in development." That's the entertainment industry's version of "vaporware."
You keep insisting on this when every article talking about it claims that Ruby Rose has signed on for the series. The vaporware here is the series, not Ruby Rose's participation in it.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
The Flash crossovered with Supergirl and lo and behold they're in the same multiverse.
Doesn't literally everything have to be in the same multiverse?
Old 08-21-2018, 07:05 PM

The crossover dates, where Batwoman will be introduced, have been revealed: http://www.ksitetv.com/batwoman/2018...twoman/182691/

The shows will air Dec 9-11. For the crossover only, The Flash moves to Sunday and Supergirl moves to Tuesday; Arrow remains on its (new) regular night of Monday. So the crossover will go The FlashArrowSupergirl. Given that the finale will be on Supergirl, this speaks to it taking place on Earth-38 and Batwoman will probably live there as well.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:04 PM

Superman is going to be in the crossover, and he's bringing a friend:
https://ew.com/tv/2018/08/22/arrowve...man-lois-lane/

Quote:
EW has learned that Tyler Hoechlin is set to reprise his role as the Man of Steel in this year’s three-night crossover, which will mark Ruby Rose’s debut as Gotham crusader Batwoman, a.k.a. Kate Kane. He will appear in all three episodes, meaning fans will finally get to see him share the screen with Grant Gustin’s Flash and Stephen Amell’s Green Arrow; however, that isn’t the only major development. The CW will also introduce intrepid Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane in the epic event, too. Casting for the role will begin soon.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 PM

Elizabeth Tulloch has been cast as Lois Lane.
https://supergirl.tv/elizabeth-tullo...t-as-lois-lane

She even kinda looks like Margot Kidder. It'll be fascinating to see her interact with white-bread Jimmy Olsen. Are they going to bring back Jenna Dewan as Lucy Lane?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:40 PM

I trust we've all seen the Elseworlds crossover by now. I thought Ruby Rose did a good job as Batwoman; her Kate Kane could use some work.

To no one's surprise (except possibly epbrown01) the CW has put in an order for a pilot with Ruby Rose in the lead role. A full series order will no doubt follw.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcory View Post
Michael Keaton is about 3 foot 2. They can make it work.
LOL - when Tim Burton's "Batman" came out, I had a boss at the time who was a huge Batman fan and was outraged at the casting of Keaton. "He can't play the Batman! He's just a little guy!"
Old 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Question: does Batgirl/Batwoman have all the money and cool toys like Bruce/Batman has?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Batgirl and Batwoman are different characters.

Batwoman is Bruce's cousin, Kate Kane.

Batgirl is (currently) Commissioner Gordon's daughter, Barbara.

Both, in the comics, do have access to lots of gear, for multiple reasons. Among them, having worked with Bruce. (Also, in Babs' case, being a tech genius in her own right, and in Kate's, due to her father's paramilitary connections.)

In this universe, Kate is in control of Bruce's...for want of a better word, estate (though he's probably not actually dead), so she has access to his actual gear.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
I trust we've all seen the Elseworlds crossover by now. I thought Ruby Rose did a good job as Batwoman; her Kate Kane could use some work.
I think Rose is not a good actor at all and I didn't like her as Kate Kane or Batwoman.

I did like seeing Tulloch as Lois, though. I was a fan of Grimm and liked her in that.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 AM

Batwoman ordered to series

Batwoman is officially ordered to series. Ruby Rose is still playing the lead. With Arrow ending and getting only a truncated final season, I see this series easily going into that time slot.

Here's the official teaser: https://youtu.be/CzNYUWX2eYY
Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 AM

Oh yes, nothing says ready for action than a cape the size of Kate Middleton's bridal train. I may give the show a look but I'm not expecting much.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM

I didn't really like the taste of this we got in the Elseworlds crossover. Not sure if I am going to watch this one (except for the crossover episodes).
Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 PM

Batwoman to premiere in Fall 2019

The CW has released its Fall 2019 schedule which, rather unexpectedly (for me, at least), includes Batwoman.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/cw-...ay-1203216862/

The show will be on Sunday at 8pm, before Supergirl, which moves to 9 pm. Arrow moves to Tuesday at 9 pm, after The Flash. Legends of Tomorrow is not in the lineup.

I think this means Batwoman will be included in the crossover, Crisis on Infinite Earths. The Legends may or may not be, though it would be strange if they weren't involved when the multiverse is being destroyed.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:07 AM

Official Trailer

https://youtu.be/vrIiPcv4_iY

Yeah, there's some pretty heavy-handed dialog right there. I wonder if they're going to move all the feminism messages to this show, now that Supergirl has moved on to other political commentary.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Usually a trailer like this is only showing clips from the first episode, so it's possibly not going to be so overt throughout the whole series.