Old 10-15-2018, 07:47 AM

Legends of Tomorrow Season 4

Legends of Tomorrow is supposed to air right after Arrow on the same night, but the show is only premiering next week, October 22. They've also been left out of the big crossover this year, where Batwoman will be introduced, but reports are they're going to stage their own crossover, with themselves.

Comic Con trailer: https://youtu.be/VoSjI3N3_rA
Misfits trailer: https://youtu.be/OH_XRHHviWM

Cast changes: Victor Garber (Martin Stein) and Franz Drameh (Jefferson Jackson) are no longer part of the show. Neither is Arthur Darville (Rip Hunter). Franz Drameh (Wally West/Kid Flash) has also chosen to move on. Maisie Richardson-Sellers will remain with the cast, but as a different character Charlie. Matt Ryan (John Constantine), Jes Macallan (Ava Sharpe), and Courtney Ford (Nora Darhk) are promoted to series regulars. Ramona Young will be added, playing the part of Alaska Yu who is "something of an expert in the world of the magical creatures that the Legends encounter in season 4". It's interesting to note that, of the original cast, the only three left are Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh, and Dominic Purcell. (Four if you count Amy Pemberton.)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:53 PM

Can they please get rid of Constantine's tie. It drives me nuts. How can you have a tie that loose and it still only hangs to his belt buckle? It must be the shortest tie in the world...

Other than that, love the show.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Legends of Tomorrow is supposed to air right after Arrow on the same night, but the show is only premiering next week, October 22. They've also been left out of the big crossover this year, where Batwoman will be introduced, but reports are they're going to stage their own crossover, with themselves.

Comic Con trailer: https://youtu.be/VoSjI3N3_rA
Misfits trailer: https://youtu.be/OH_XRHHviWM

Cast changes: Victor Garber (Martin Stein) and Franz Drameh (Jefferson Jackson) are no longer part of the show. Neither is Arthur Darville (Rip Hunter). Franz Drameh (Wally West/Kid Flash) has also chosen to move on. Maisie Richardson-Sellers will remain with the cast, but as a different character Charlie. Matt Ryan (John Constantine), Jes Macallan (Ava Sharpe), and Courtney Ford (Nora Darhk) are promoted to series regulars. Ramona Young will be added, playing the part of Alaska Yu who is "something of an expert in the world of the magical creatures that the Legends encounter in season 4". It's interesting to note that, of the original cast, the only three left are Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh, and Dominic Purcell. (Four if you count Amy Pemberton.)
I believe you intended to say that Keiynan Lonsdale played Wally/Kid Flash.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:27 PM

Lord Beebo demands another episode, to air on odins day
Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM

How about Tala Ashe/Zari? I think she's still on the show.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 PM

Caity Lotz just posted this on Instagram: "Season 1 doesn't count."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggins View Post
How about Tala Ashe/Zari? I think she's still on the show.
She isn't original cast, but she's still on the show.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:03 AM

Extended trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRZJgA_IqM

"What in the Disney hell is this?" Sara always gets the best lines.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:28 AM

Homicidal unicorn! Swamp(y monster) Thing! Gojira! Biff Tannen! Superman's mustache! Killer Stein puppet! Audey II?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be watching that.

Last edited by Alessan; 10-18-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:15 AM

S04E01: The Virgin Gary

The Virgin Gary promo: https://youtu.be/kS9eyh6YnmA

IT'S ALL MAGICAL - After the Legends defeated Mallus and wiped the final anachronism from time, they find themselves in unfamiliar territory with the Time Bureau. All that changes when Constantine informs Sara of a new magical threat that leads the team to Woodstock. Constantine thinks he knows how to defeat the new threat, but will need the help of the team and their special klepto talents to help with his spell. Meanwhile, Nate and Rory go on an adventure leaving Nate facing someone from his past.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:11 AM

Thank the good Lord Beebo the Legends are back, just as meta as and even more magical than before. A mature relationship without forced CW drama. Subtle political commentary, especially compared with the sledgehammer that is Supergirl. Jerry, Jimi, and Janis. Nate's mom's sandwiches. Killer demon unicorn. Constantine's magical towel. Still the best show in the Beeboverse.

Gary's nipple is going to figure prominently in a future episode, isn't it?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Thank the good Lord Beebo the Legends are back, just as meta as and even more magical than before. A mature relationship without forced CW drama. Subtle political commentary, especially compared with the sledgehammer that is Supergirl. Jerry, Jimi, and Janis. Nate's mom's sandwiches. Killer demon unicorn. Constantine's magical towel. Still the best show in the Beeboverse.

Gary's nipple is going to figure prominently in a future episode, isn't it?
Nate's dad is Biff Tannen!
Old 10-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

SO much fun! I'm glad they're finally embracing the wackiness.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Nate's dad is Biff Tannen!
I was really expecting him to call his son a "butthead".
Old 10-26-2018, 01:11 PM

How about Ray disguised as a reporter with camera and glasses during the Beatles' arrival and looking very Clark Kent-ish? A definite call out to Brandon Routh's previous big superhero role.

Last edited by cochrane; 10-26-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:35 AM

S04E02: Witch Hunt

Witch Hunt promo: https://youtu.be/WMW70LzF8aw

NOT YOUR TYPICAL FAIRY GODMOTHER - When the magical Time Seismograph goes off, the team finds themselves headed to the Salem witch trials. Sara notices that Zari is taking this case personally when she promises to save a mom, who is being accused of being a witch. However, the team quickly learns that there is a magical creature in the town creating problems they hadn't been expecting. Meanwhile, Nate and Ava work together to try to keep their Time Bureau funding by proving to them that magic exists.

Didn't they already try to burn Sara as a witch for corrupting the good women of Salem?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:30 AM

The evil, embittered fairy godmother was exactly as awesome as she was touted to be. Did they actually compose some original faux Disney songs just for this episode? That cements this show in my mind as having the most creative writing team in the Beeboverse.

Zari sucking the lifebreath out of people is something we haven't seen before. It's one of her more powerful and honestly rather frightening abilities. You don't want to get Zari mad at you.

When I said Gary's missing nipple would play a part in a future episode, I did not expect it to be so soon. A Nate and Ava teamup is rather unexpected. Now that he's going to be hanging out in the Time Bureau, does this mean we'll be seeing less of Nate? More likely, it's an excuse for us to see more of Ava and the Time Bureau.

Both Ray and Constantine mentioned the aswang. The aswang is a shapeshifting creature of Filipino folklore that wants to eat your liver and drink your blood. It also likes to eat the unborn, using its proboscis to suck the fetus right out of the womb. I hope the Legends fight one in a future episode. More info:

https://exemplore.com/cryptids/The-A...o-Folk-Monster
https://www.aswangproject.com/what-is-an-aswang/
Old 10-30-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est
A Nate and Ava teamup is rather unexpected. Now that he's going to be hanging out in the Time Bureau, does this mean we'll be seeing less of Nate? More likely, it's an excuse for us to see more of Ava and the Time Bureau.
I figured it was because changed-timeline stories call for a trivia-buff historian to do exposition when the records suddenly go wrong, but magical-creature stories spotlight John Constantineís lines about whatís going on and which items heíll need to solve the problem and why the idea someone just proposed wonít actually work.

You maybe donít want two guys like that in the same scene.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I figured it was because changed-timeline stories call for a trivia-buff historian to do exposition when the records suddenly go wrong, but magical-creature stories spotlight John Constantineís lines about whatís going on and which items heíll need to solve the problem and why the idea someone just proposed wonít actually work.

You maybe donít want two guys like that in the same scene.
I dunno, looks like Nate is stepping up to the air conditioned office, wearing the suit and tie. Being a deputy and love interest for Ava would flesh out the series nicely and get some of the characters off the ship. The beeboverse is large enough to handle multiple arc's and handle that inhouse cross over thing.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Being a...love interest for Ava....
Sara might have something to say about that.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Sara might have something to say about that.

Yup, its only two episodes into the new season and last week had Sara tell Ava that she could not move in , had to be with the team, blah blah blah. Episode two has Ava tell Nate that she has been watching him, and that he is a hero. Which to be fair could simply have been bullshitting Nate to get him to get her funding, but she invites him to work the office and he stays behind after seeing Ray off.

So maybe they have a relationship, mayhap Ava uses this to leverage more attention from Sara. Either works for me.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 AM

S04E03: Dancing Queen

Dancing Queen promo: https://youtu.be/QhXYoeERSQI

LONG LIVE THE CORGI - When the Legends discover a fugitive is hiding in 1970's London, they realize he is part of a gang that is targeting the British Monarchy. Trying to stop the gang, they realize someone from the Legends must infiltrate them. Surprising everyone, Ray is the one to gain their trust after he is put through a series of tests with help from Sara and Rory. Meanwhile, Gary shows Nate the ropes at the Time Bureau, but it turns out to be anything other than an ordinary day at the office.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:03 AM

Enter "Charlie". So the Legends pick up yet another misfit. That was certainly a creative way to introduce a new character while keeping the same actress, perfectly in keeping with what's already been previously established. Great callback to "Here I Go Again". Shapeshifting seems like it would be a useful ability when battling a magical fugitive but Constantine took it away. Hopefully Charlie has other abilities. Does Maisie Richardson-Sellers get to speak in her native accent now?

The lunch lady "Mona" that Gary zapped MiB-style is also supposed to be a new cast member, although my understanding is that she's supposed to be called "Alaska Yu".

Poor Nate still hasn't gotten over Amaya and now there's an Amaya lookalike on the Waverider. It looks like he'll be stuck in the Time Bureau a little while longer. He's also missing his time bro Ray (or rather Rayge) and has to settle for Gary, of all people. It did seem like they had a good time fighting Audrey II.

Caity Lotz posted this Instagram video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BpzybirA8Ly/
This episode featuring anarchy in the UK was aired on the Fifth of November. I am sure that was a total coincidence.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Enter "Charlie". So the Legends pick up yet another misfit. That was certainly a creative way to introduce a new character while keeping the same actress, perfectly in keeping with what's already been previously established. Great callback to "Here I Go Again". Shapeshifting seems like it would be a useful ability when battling a magical fugitive but Constantine took it away. Hopefully Charlie has other abilities. Does Maisie Richardson-Sellers get to speak in her native accent now?

zapped MiB-style is also supposed to be a new cast member, although my understanding is that she's supposed to be called "Alaska Yu".

The lunch lady "Mona" that
Poor Nate still hasn't gotten over Amaya and now there's an Amaya lookalike on the Waverider. It looks like he'll be stuck in the Time Bureau a little while longer. He's also missing his time bro Ray (or rather Rayge) and has to settle for Gary, of all people. It did seem like they had a good time fighting Audrey II.

Caity Lotz posted this Instagram video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BpzybirA8Ly/
This episode featuring anarchy in the UK was aired on the Fifth of November. I am sure that was a total coincidence.

I think Lunch lady is Kaya in the Skya from Z nation.

Last edited by Declan; 11-06-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:47 PM

'Ball kick paradox' needs to replace 'grandfather paradox' for that concept.

How long are they going to milk the nipple?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Charlie seems to be telepathic, since she was able to imitate people (like Amaya) who she has never seen.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Charlie seems to be telepathic, since she was able to imitate people (like Amaya) who she has never seen.
She saw Amaya in the picture from the newspaper. Ray pointed out each of the people and told her about them. When he pointed out Amaya, he said something like "she's our moral center, but not with us anymore." So she saw Amaya from the front and is making some guesses about the 3d version.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
She saw Amaya in the picture from the newspaper. Ray pointed out each of the people and told her about them. When he pointed out Amaya, he said something like "she's our moral center, but not with us anymore." So she saw Amaya from the front and is making some guesses about the 3d version.
Thanks. Sorry about missing that.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 AM

S04E04: Wet Hot American Bummer

Wet Hot American Bummer promo: https://youtu.be/t5cFTT6Veuo

MEMORIES FOR A LIFETIME - When the Legends discover that kids at a summer camp have disappeared, Sara, Ava, Ray and Constantine find themselves as the new camp counselors. At camp, Ava struggles to get along with the kids, but Constantine whips up a potion that helps Sara and Ava bond with the children. Luckily, the team finds clues to the whereabouts of the missing kids, but the battle to save them leaves one member in bad shape. Meanwhile, Rory and Zari are tasked with watching the fugitive and Rory finds a kinship with their "prisoner."
Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 AM

Pretty low key but absolutely solid episode. It was written and shot like the cheap teen slasher flicks it was emulating, with minimal special effects and not showing the monster until the absolute last minute. The kids they got play Sara and Ava were great. It must have been difficult to stage a fight scene with child actors, especially on a TV budget, but they pulled it off.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 PM

...I'm in awe with what they've managed to turn Legends into.

I struggled with the first season. I only stayed around because of Arthur Darvill: I was missing 11 and Rip Hunter was the closest I was going to get. But from season 3 onwards its just been a new show. Not afraid to reinvent itself. Not afraid to get rid of characters, bring characters back, or turn a character inside out. And season 4 is better than 3. Its such great and fearless writing now: not trying to insert pointless drama but focusing on the characters, the relationships, and bringing the funny.

And there was a pitch-perfect shout-out to the AV Club last week: the review of the monster movie was actually a pull-quote from an AV Club review from a first season episode: that got a well deserved D+ Turns out the writer of that badly reviewed episode also wrote the latest episode, and the episode that got the D+ was also the first thing he had written for television.

https://twitter.com/OliverSava/statu...74858733043712

The latest got a well deserved A- . That's just brilliant.

https://tv.avclub.com/a-near-perfect...ste-1830400305
Old 11-14-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
And there was a pitch-perfect shout-out to the AV Club last week: the review of the monster movie was actually a pull-quote from an AV Club review from a first season episode: that got a well deserved D+ Turns out the writer of that badly reviewed episode also wrote the latest episode, and the episode that got the D+ was also the first thing he had written for television.

https://twitter.com/OliverSava/statu...74858733043712

The latest got a well deserved A- . That's just brilliant.

https://tv.avclub.com/a-near-perfect...ste-1830400305
This show has gone full meta, hasn't it? From Ray commenting that they need to get their ratings up in the first episode of the season, and now this.

That article also has a link that explains why Nick Zano was absent this episode. His wife delivered a baby that went straight into NICU, then into surgery, then into another surgery. Both mother and infant are now doing well.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 AM

S04E05: Tagumo Attacks!!!

Tagumo Attacks!!! promo: https://youtu.be/0WL-67epa3M

SOMETHING'S FISHY - A new fugitive is on the loose in 1951 Tokyo and Sara, Zari, Rory and Charlie try to capture it. As Constantine struggles to recover, Ray knows that magic might be the only thing that can save him but must look outside the team for help. Meanwhile, Ava joins Nate and his family for an unconventional Thanksgiving dinner.

That is exactly how this episode is entitled - with three exclamation points!!!
Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 PM

Not sure if I was watching Godzilla or tentacle porn
Old 11-19-2018, 10:41 PM

Tagumo is a good name. It seems to have been created in the same way Godzilla was. Tako + Kumo == Tagumo the same way Gorira + Kujira == Gojira. Onlike Goji-Kun, though, Tagu-chan has retained the original named elements - it's an octopus (tako) who appears to have a spider (kumo)-like carapace...but Godzilla definitely isn't a gorilla-whale (gorira kujira).
Old 11-20-2018, 12:23 AM

Having finished the episode, Tagumo is less spidery than the drawing looked. Still sure that's the derivation of the name, though.

Also... 'Let's make like a tree and leave.' 'I'm not sure if that's how it goes.' Now, that is a clever reference.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 AM

I looked it up: Ishiro Honda, the hapless filmmaker featured in the episode, did indeed create Godzilla in 1954. We can thank Mick Rory for that. I liked how they shot the Tokyo scenes to mimic the cheap color film stock of the 1950s, with flat lighting and desaturated color. And they went to the trouble of staging a kaiju fight in the miniature destructible Tokyo, with Rory's triple-breasted warrior woman no less.

I thought Biff Tannen was just going to be fanservice for a couple of episodes, but it looks like he's going to sticking around for a while longer. Does he think he can control all the fugitives with food?
Old 11-26-2018, 05:29 AM

S04E06: Tender is the Nate

Tender is the Nate promo: https://youtu.be/xz1sGE74CJk

SHOCKED BUT NOT FORGOTTEN - When Hank Heywood (guest star Tom Wilson) confronts Ava about the spending habits of the Legends, Nate steps in to try and smooth things over by inviting Hank on to the Waverider. The Legends then show Hank what they do by visiting 1920s Paris, trying to capture the newest Fugitive. Meanwhile, Mona is trying to make a good impression with Ava, but her over eagerness gets her and Ava stuck in a cell instead.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Does he think he can control all the fugitives with food?
Works with Mick.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:43 AM

This one was just a comedy of errors, wasn't it? And it was glorious, from Sara in lingerie to Hank singing James Taylor. I mean, every Legends mission (after Season 1) is pretty much a comedy of errors, but this one even more so. Even Gideon got in a few good zingers.

Ava, Nora, and Mona had a better "Girls Night Out" than The Flash episode of the same name. I think Mona is going to fit right in. I hope she gets to go on a few missions.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
This one was just a comedy of errors, wasn't it? And it was glorious, from Sara in lingerie to Hank singing James Taylor. I mean, every Legends mission (after Season 1) is pretty much a comedy of errors, but this one even more so. Even Gideon got in a few good zingers.

Ava, Nora, and Mona had a better "Girls Night Out" than The Flash episode of the same name. I think Mona is going to fit right in. I hope she gets to go on a few missions.
I had forgotten that Tom Wilson can sing.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
ETA: Here's a link to "Biff's Question Song" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwY5o2fsG7Y
Old 11-27-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
ETA: Here's a link to "Biff's Question Song" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwY5o2fsG7Y
That was hilarious!
Old 11-27-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That was hilarious!
Glad you liked it. I first heard about it from Ken Jennings' blog (funny story about when Ken met Wilson http://ken-jennings.com/blog/archives/199)
Old 11-27-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I never knew. I am impressed.

Overall a good episode.

Get a feeling the writers aren't fans of Hemmingway or Fitzgerald. >_>
Old 11-27-2018, 07:21 PM

I didn't like this one that much...the silliness has been dialed up all Season which is good but this episode it was up to 11 and maybe that is a little too much.

Mona was very annoying but I was glad that the misunderstanding when Nora lashed out was settled quickly (her redemption storyline is one I have liked since the begining).

I never really liked Nate all that much so maybe that's why I was sour on this. Who knows?

Also, weren't the Time Bureau a bunch of guys that lived outside of Time? When did it become a branch of our department of defense?
Old 11-27-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Also, weren't the Time Bureau a bunch of guys that lived outside of Time? When did it become a branch of our department of defense?
No, those were the Time Masters, who got blown up at the end of Season 1 (R.I.P. Snart). The Time Bureau was established by Rip Hunter and exists very much in the real world in the "present" time.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 PM

I guess I always assumed it was a new version of the same group remade in Rip's image.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:40 AM

The Legends and the Time Bureau have never seemed too strict on the "don't change the past" concept, so I have to wonder how a government organization with access to time travel has to worry so much about funding. Investing just a couple of dollars in various businesses throughout history would go a long way towards buying pens and paper. Heck, just putting it into the bank and relying on compound interest would do the trick.

Last edited by Lightnin'; 11-28-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:50 AM

You know, it's been previously established that the Waverider has matter replicators from which the crew gets their food and their costumes. So what's the deal with the budget? I think Gideon is billing the Time Bureau for her services. She's cheeky enough to do it. What's Gideon going to do with all that money? Probably going to fabricate herself a body.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 AM

S04E07: Hell No, Dolly!

Hell No, Dolly! promo: https://youtu.be/02kRuvPZe88

RIPPLE EFFECT - With Rory and Ava at odds, Sara tries to come up with a way for them to get along, but all is put on hold when a new magical creature attacks the Legends. Constantine is forced to confront his tragic past but it could have devastating consequences for the rest of the team. Meanwhile, Mona has a crush on someone she works with and gets some advice from Nate.