Old 01-11-2019, 07:13 PM

My upset at Alara made me forget something, but now I remembered it.

If Alara wasn't home, her family wouldn't have flown off to the beach house. So how did Andrew Wakefield's parents happen to be there?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 PM

Yeah, there's always some Wha? moments when you analyze any show. My take: the murderous people had been stalking Ildis, looking for a chance. When the family left town they kept looking and found out -- beach house? On the off-season? And no-one else is around? Hun -- this is exactly what we need. Let's get that sonbitch now.

That's not their beach house that was "broken" into -- they somehow intercepted the caretaker, and took all his stuff. When Alara saw it, at their beach house, she didn't know what to make of it either. Was their caretaker squatting at some random people's house? Why? I'm guessing, it was all to make their story plausible.

My question is, how did Mercer know Alara and her family went to their other family house? Did Alara list all the possible places she might be while recuperating? Can a Union Captain demand help from Xelanian police? Can even the planetary security find it quickly? And will they just hand such information over? Is that correct for a government to do, and are all Xelanians as bigoted as Ildis, and thus even less likely to help? I guess, they just did the ST:NG thing, and scanned for her com-badge, that little wrist thingy?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 PM

I really was not expecting Alara to leave the show. Also I really wonder what the police & security services are like on Xelaya if her parents are representative of Xelayans in general (they seemed members of the elite).

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytyperanma View Post
I liked the episode overall.

I wish they at least attempted to explain why they couldn't just change the gravity for her to begin with. Even if not her quarters they literally have shuttles on board with their own gravity control. Sorry you are going to have to spend a few hours a day chilling in a shuttle...
DS9 had a guest character with the opposite problem; she came from a very low-gravity world and needed the gravity turned down in her quarters (otherwise she was in a wheelchair). When the show was in the planning stages she was supposed to be a main character, but the producers quickly realized the special effects would be way to expensive (the character could fly around her quarters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Does it niggle at anyone else that the Bortus/Klyden relationship seems to map so closely to 50s-type middle class hetero couples? One partner earns the income, the other partner is a stay-at-home housekeeper/parent?

For that matter, what in the world does Klyden do all day? They're living in a smallish apartment in what is undoubtedly highly automated circumstances. Little housework, no yardwork, maintenance type things taken care of by, er, the maintenance department...
Well it does seem like Klyden's suffering from boredom. There's no indication he had any kind of job even before the baby hatched. I wonder what life is like for the other dependent spouses on the ship? Do most of them civilian jobs? Is there any support system at all?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 PM

The resolution of this episode was poorly plotted from a character position.

Alara's family has always looked down on her as being mentally slow, and the resentment of that is a significant part of her character. And now she's back on her planet, but she's also weakened so that her physical abilities are rendered moot. But the show starts hinting early on that the savvy she has gained as a security officer has her more suspicious of the situation.

So when it turns out they're in danger, the obvious thing would be that she saw some solution her parents didn't, and it turns out that while slow for her species, her experiences have given her a certain savvy in which she can come up with solutions that her parents couldn't, thereby giving her parents a reason to have a respect for her mentally.

........... Except.... the actual resolution we got was a fist fight. Crippled, can't-get-out-of-her-chair Alara has her big redeeming moment which is a fist fight with the woman holding a gun to her.

This show doesn't work without the humor. The episode was light on humor, and the plots and character development on their own aren't compelling. The writing in that way is often quite bad. The sci-fi stories themselves aren't interesting - they'd range from mediocre to okay episodes of TNG from 30 years ago. But we expect a lot more out of our sci-fi now than something that would've been generic and predictable 30 years ago.

The humor is what gives it its charm and makes it work, but the episodes in which they only even attempt humor maybe 3 times really shows the weaknesses of the writing when playing it straight.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 01-11-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Minor thing: Malloy has had a couple of observational lines which I like: the thing about "seeing this planet makes me realize my family are trash" in this ep and saying that "women pick him" and his insecurities in the first ep.
Not really jokes, but I just like these things because I can relate to them, yet they are things TV characters don't normally say.
This is why show like this succeed -- Family Guy, and other shows with irreverent humor, everything from Beavis and Butthead, to Bob's Burgers, to Curb Your Enthusiasm. This is just the sort of slightly jarring, "just "off" comments that people make all the time. It just makes television real, even though the biggest situations, for example FTL space travel in giant manned spacecraft is inherently implausible. Dunno why TV critics refuse to "get" it -- have they never known anyone like Gordon who says dumb things all the time? Don't they feel like Ed Mercer -- on the surface, competent and cool, but inside, conflicted and unsure?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
...That's not their beach house that was "broken" into -- they somehow intercepted the caretaker, and took all his stuff. When Alara saw it, at their beach house, she didn't know what to make of it either. Was their caretaker squatting at some random people's house? Why? I'm guessing, it was all to make their story plausible...
That's the least of the plot holes; the caretaker could work for several families & be living in one of the houses.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 PM

I tell ya, SenorBeef:, now that you mention it seems like almost every episode is light on humor. Oh yes, there's some jokes, mostly Ed and XO one-liners back and forth. And Gordon's a goofball who just says the first inappropriate thing that enters his head. But wacky situations that go on for the whole episode -- that doesn't happen. It almost seems like, although Seth MacFarlane may have sold it to Fox as a comedy, they're really doing a straight up, old school lighting, NextGen-type space opera. Just occasional lapsing into humor during their workday of flying through space.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 PM

I thought the first season had a much better balance of humor and drama. There were the episode-long gags you mentioned. All of the "Avis" remarks on the Krill ship. The escalating pranks resulting in the missing leg for example. Nothing like that this season.

It feels a lot better when it's a comedy with sci-fi trappings rather than a mediocre sci-fi show that has a joke or two per episode.

Unfortunately, ‘The Orville’: Seth MacFarlane Says Season 1 was ‘Misrepresented’ by Fox, Promises Season 2 Is What ‘Was Always Intended’.

It seems that the intention is for this to be a more serious, less humorous work, and it just won't work that way.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 01-11-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
My upset at Alara made me forget something, but now I remembered it.

If Alara wasn't home, her family wouldn't have flown off to the beach house. So how did Andrew Wakefield's parents happen to be there?
What else do they have to do with their lives other than keep an eye on Alata's Dad and notice a good opportunity?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What matters is how we 21st century humans perceive them. For us, society has still only recently, and not everywhere in the world, come to accept same-sex relationships. This is relevant for understanding why the relationship is written the way it has been: same-sex relationship, two huge guys from a warrior (or at least: super strong, stoic) culture...it's unusual for us. So they play against that with Klyden watching black and white movies while eating rocky road.
Bortus looks more like someone who could be the security chief, but perhaps he looks a bit too much like Worf. Perhaps Klyden will be the new security chief? Because I don't see Lt Tharl lasting very long.

And a physics question. Gordon tossed what looked like an empty, uncapped aluminum bottle on the driveway of Alara's family's house and the bottle immediately crushed. If the bottle was empty and uncapped, would it have crushed, or would the atmospheric pressure maintained it intact?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
And a physics question. Gordon tossed what looked like an empty, uncapped aluminum bottle on the driveway of Alara's family's house and the bottle immediately crushed. If the bottle was empty and uncapped, would it have crushed, or would the atmospheric pressure maintained it intact?
If the bottle was uncapped, then the pressure inside should be equal to the pressure outside regardless of gravity, so it wouldn't crush. If it were capped, it might crush (depending on the strength of the bottle) because the pressure inside would be lower. (You can do that experiment right here on Earth, btw.)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't be crushed due to atmospheric pressure.

If the gravity was extremely high the can would rapidly accelerate towards the ground and pancake like a bullet hitting a wall. So maybe that could happen, but it's a high gravity planet not a star. 4 feet of acceleration to that effect did not make sense.

Last edited by boytyperanma; 01-11-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:

It would have taken a lot of gravity for a bottle to compact that flat after that short a fall. I don't know how much, but much more than merely 2 or 3 times Earth's gravity.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Or a hobby. Or a goal. Something to be more than "Of Bortus"
well - Kytus caught Bortus @ the Holodeck - why do you think Klytus was going there?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:13 PM

This episode was the first I'd seen. And, as a sci-fi fan, I was impressed.

Even though I knew nothing of the characters, the writers* gave us enough to quickly understand and feel for Alara. Though I was waiting for her to prevail through "superior deductive skills". The sets and effects were well done, and Alana's home planet was gorgeous.

I thought the acting security guy was just the right amount of humor. I may have blurted out "Hey, it's Puddy! I mean, the Tick..."

*I'm assuming a good team, because I can't believe that this was written by anyone immature enough to give us interminable Peter vs Chicken fights, and six minutes of Conway Twitty.

Actually, my first comment was an amazed "Whoa, Seth grew up when I wasn't looking."
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Even though I knew nothing of the characters, the writers* gave us enough to quickly understand and feel for Alara.

Yeah, but I don't think any of the character development so far was enough to carry the length of that final hug-off.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

*I'm assuming a good team, because I can't believe that this was written by anyone immature enough to give us interminable Peter vs Chicken fights, and six minutes of Conway Twitty.
This episode was actually written by Cherry Chevapravatdumrong, a longtime Family Guy writer.

Last edited by friedo; 01-12-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's not their beach house that was "broken" into -- they somehow intercepted the caretaker, and took all his stuff. When Alara saw it, at their beach house, she didn't know what to make of it either. Was their caretaker squatting at some random people's house? Why? I'm guessing, it was all to make their story plausible.
Alara and her sister went to the caretaker's cottage, not the other couple's claimed beach house. They found his stuff still in his own cottage.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:55 AM

A better episode but still not a great start to season 2. I hope next week delivers on the promised action and maybe a bit more humor.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Alara's family has always looked down on her as being mentally slow, and the resentment of that is a significant part of her character. And now she's back on her planet, but she's also weakened so that her physical abilities are rendered moot. But the show starts hinting early on that the savvy she has gained as a security officer has her more suspicious of the situation.

So when it turns out they're in danger, the obvious thing would be that she saw some solution her parents didn't, and it turns out that while slow for her species, her experiences have given her a certain savvy in which she can come up with solutions that her parents couldn't, thereby giving her parents a reason to have a respect for her mentally.

........... Except.... the actual resolution we got was a fist fight. Crippled, can't-get-out-of-her-chair Alara has her big redeeming moment which is a fist fight with the woman holding a gun to her.
I was expecting a Rear Window riff myself but the she has is bravery more than street smarts. Dad needed her encouragement to find enough bravery to go out a window. The encouragement he never gave her.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Also, mentioning guest stars and not the fact that both the Xelarian fathers were doctors on Star Trek?
I wondered if they had tried to get Gates McFadden, as well, for the episode?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Well it does seem like Klyden's suffering from boredom. There's no indication he had any kind of job even before the baby hatched. I wonder what life is like for the other dependent spouses on the ship? Do most of them civilian jobs? Is there any support system at all?
Agree. It would be nice to hear what Klyden's life is like. There are jobs that could be done from a ship - does he have one of those?

Quote:
That would have been nice to see. One could interpret what we see as her parents also disrepecting the toughness that Alara has, which allows her to take action rather than be frozen in fear. So when a weakened Alara manages to take action when her physically fit family can't make themselves do so, it is showing her parents what Alara can do - not punching, but having the guts to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Alara and her sister went to the caretaker's cottage, not the other couple's claimed beach house. They found his stuff still in his own cottage.
Yeah.
Quote:
My question is, how did Mercer know Alara and her family went to their other family house? Did Alara list all the possible places she might be while recuperating?
The computer system in their home lets approved people know where you are if you're out, just like servants in the 19th century would let people (of the right class) know that the master and his family were at their country estate this week.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Yeah, but I don't think any of the character development so far was enough to carry the length of that final hug-off.
My god, yes. That scene went on forever. We get it already.

Iím a little bummed Alara is gone; she was one of the more interesting characters. I kind of hope Patrick Warburton sticks around for a while now, though.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:59 AM

No. They should turn 'Security Chief of the Week' into a running joke. Like Murphy Brown's secretary or Dilbert's 'Ted.'

Yep, they wear red shirts, right? Keep that tradition going. To the point future assignees beg and plead for mercy upon learning they've been sentenced to the Orville.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
My god, yes. That scene went on forever. We get it already.
That reminds me, this was the second week in a row The Orville was "presented with limited commercial interruptions" according to the announcer guy just before the episodes started. I don't think that's a good sign.

Every tv episode ever has extra raw footage that they edit down to fit the allotted time for broadcast. Both this episode and last episode had portions that dragged and could (should) have been edited down, but I get the feeling they were re-edited to extend the running time.

I wonder if they're having trouble selling advertising.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
That reminds me, this was the second week in a row The Orville was "presented with limited commercial interruptions" according to the announcer guy just before the episodes started.

The latest one was 48 minutes (and maybe some change.) Apparently it is going to be that way all season? Wiki lists 43 min per for season 1, 48 pin per for season 2.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I wonder if they're having trouble selling advertising.
The whole "limited interruption" seems a little odd to many people.

First off, there seems to be just as many breaks, if not more. Seems like every scene change is a commercial break. Except ... you get a commercial, an advert for an upcoming show, then The Orville continues. People are complaining the there aren't limited commercial breaks, but Darren Garrison: right here did the math -- there are more minutes of showtime

I'd vented about this sort of regarding Saturday Night: Live. For years its seemed to me that it had become skit...commercial...skit...commercial which really sucks when, as Edward Murphy once admitted, "Not every skit is hysterical." I claimed the show was effectively shorter, and people here called me out on the logic...if that were true, the DVD would effectively be shorter, and thats not happening to SNL DVDs.

Seems like, a long time ago, movies on TV were two hours long. A 90 minute movie, with a few cuts, was padded out to two hours with commercial breaks. Now tv showings of movies are longer and longer, there's no shame, on the networks, to play 9 minutes of movie, 4 minutes of commercial, and run the whole thing for four hours. The WIZ, I'm looking at you.

So we're getting the "DVD on TV" version of The Orville (although Fox can't call it that, 'cause that's what TNT network calls it.) Lots of reasons possible for that: like you said, they could trim some scenes, but I guess they want to tell more story. Maybe they're trying to add value to the show, so what commercials they do sell, they can sell at a premium price, because they can claim the commercial isn't lost in the shuffle.

Maybe The Orville is like a loss-leader, and as long as people tune in, and keep talking about it, they'll accept a smaller advertising income. Remember my link a few pages back, Season 3 is already ordered, and the article seems to strongly imply that Fox saves taxes by committing to the cost of the next season of The Orville now.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:42 PM

Just looked at the episode again, and 2x03 is 48 minutes, 26 seconds. So barely 11 1/2 minutes for commercials.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I don't understand the plot lines where the super intelligent robot is put in some subservient role despite showing better problem solving capabilities.

How many times did Data outsmart the entire crew on the enterprise? Yet he was 4th in command I think.
Remember Spock in The Galileo Seven? 2nd in command, smarter than the rest of the ship put together?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
Remember Spock in The Galileo Seven? 2nd in command, smarter than the rest of the ship put together?
Command of a vessel involves much more than just intelligence. It demands the ability to lead. One of the recurring issues explored in the first season of Star Trek was the ability of Spock to be a commander of men, given his inability to empathize with them (lack of emotions). The same issue was eventually explored with Data, specifically in the episode where he's put in command of one of the fleet of ships trying to blockade the Romulans from getting supplies to their Klingon allies during the Klingon civil war.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:58 PM

I'm not clear on the two esophagi, especially since it looked like one went from his face to his belly. How was he supposed to eat with it?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:09 PM

He doesn't eat with it, I don't think. It's just an extra path from his mouth/throat to his stomach so that he can really cram it down.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Overall, it was a pretty good show. There certainly were plot holes (everything the bad guy ended up doing made his plan to fake a suicide moot), but it worked pretty well.

I find the drama in the show much more interesting that the lame jokes, so I was glad that they stayed away from them.

I'm sorry that Alara left -- she was one of the most interesting characters on the show -- but it seemed like "the actress wants out so we'll come up with a reason" than anything that showed up in the episode. There was no particular reason for her to stay behind other than IITS.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 01-13-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
He doesn't eat with it, I don't think. It's just an extra path from his mouth/throat to his stomach so that he can really cram it down.
Also why did Mercer say they only have standard uniforms on board? They have replicators and presumably just make clothing as needed so why even mention it? Unless of course he just couldn't stop staring at the 2nd esophagus and was trying to make up an excuse for doing so.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 PM

Oh, and didn't the actress who played Alara's mother also play a Vorta on DS9?
Old 01-13-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yes. But I recognized her mostly as "Angel" - Herman's sensitivity in "Herman's Head"
Old 01-13-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, the original Vorta seen, no less. Eris, in the final episode of Season Two (IIRC), called "The Jem'Hadar". She was eventually determined to be a planted spy, rather than the damsel in distress she was playing.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
No. They should turn 'Security Chief of the Week' into a running joke. Like Murphy Brown's secretary or Dilbert's 'Ted.'

Yep, they wear red shirts, right? Keep that tradition going. To the point future assignees beg and plead for mercy upon learning they've been sentenced to the Orville.
It seems they've cast Jessica Szohr as another Xelayan Security officer. It's a shame, I was really look forward to Warburton & his multiple esophagi being a regular.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's the least of the plot holes; the caretaker could work for several families & be living in one of the houses.
Also, note that trees wouldnt look like that and waves would be flat.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Two boring episodes then my favourite character leaves. Super.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Two boring episodes then my favourite character leaves. Super.
Yep. She was the best character there. Sure, she brought on the "waif-fu" trope, but this is a trope filled show.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Also, note that trees wouldnt look like that and waves would be flat.
That really bothered me, too. I was trying to explain to my wife while we were watching exactly how gravity that extreme would change the way everything moved and behaved, but I think she just wanted me to shut up so she could watch the show.

I wish they'd just made the gravity 4G or so- that would still be dangerous to humans and made Alara's race sufficiently stronger, but wouldn't have required drastically different motion and behavior.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I wish they'd just made the gravity 4G or so- that would still be dangerous to humans and made Alara's race sufficiently stronger, but wouldn't have required drastically different motion and behavior.
I was watching constantly for efforts to display the effects of supposedly much-higher gravity, but there weren't a lot of objects thrown or dropped. The closest, I guess, is when Robert Picardo climbed over the balcony rail to jump to the ground, which I guess he should have hit like an elephant, but it was not shot very clearly.

I have to admit, I don't get:

1. Why Mercer knew to look at the beach-house.

2. Why Mercer was so insistent he had to talk to Alara right this second and I'm not leaving until I do, dammit, which only served to force the home-invaders' hands. Mercer's proposed solution to Alara's problem didn't seem all that time-sensitive.

3. Why Malloy couldn't just move the shuttle a few meters so its gravity-shield would cover the fallen Mercer.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I was watching constantly for efforts to display the effects of supposedly much-higher gravity, but there weren't a lot of objects thrown or dropped. The closest, I guess, is when Robert Picardo climbed over the balcony rail to jump to the ground, which I guess he should have hit like an elephant, but it was not shot very clearly.

I have to admit, I don't get:

1. Why Mercer knew to look at the beach-house.

2. Why Mercer was so insistent he had to talk to Alara right this second and I'm not leaving until I do, dammit, which only served to force the home-invaders' hands. Mercer's proposed solution to Alara's problem didn't seem all that time-sensitive.

3. Why Malloy couldn't just move the shuttle a few meters so its gravity-shield would cover the fallen Mercer.
1) Looking at the beach house is easy - Ed calls Alara's parent's house and the automated system there lets him know that they're out at the beach house.

2) No idea - this one bothered me during the show.

3). Good point. Hotshot pilot should be able to handle that.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:09 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:

I don't recall how much time passed between knowing Mercer's suit was compromised and the arrival of Daddy.

Nor do I know if you have to let the choke run for five minutes on a shuttle before it can move.

Last edited by carnivorousplant; 01-14-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: To add interest and verisimilitude to an otherwise bland and uniteresting narrative.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think he needed to talk to her right this minute or else it won't work, but rather he realized that her folks didn't really like her decision to join the fleet and so he probably thought they were pushing him away to convince her never to come back. So he probably was that insistent so that Alara would actually know she had a choice (as opposed to them always coming up with some excuse every time he came down to tell Alara what they found).
Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I don't think he needed to talk to her right this minute or else it won't work, but rather he realized that her folks didn't really like her decision to join the fleet and so he probably thought they were pushing him away to convince her never to come back. So he probably was that insistent so that Alara would actually know she had a choice (as opposed to them always coming up with some excuse every time he came down to tell Alara what they found).
Good!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
Over on reddit, they're trying to model the gravity from the evidence presented. Its not going well.

In the pilot, Alara could jump 20 ft er ... 6 meters urm ... well over the Krill heads at any rate. I was waiting to see her pump an obscene amount of iron on the Orville, but I didn't pay attention to how many weights she had on the bar. She's lost a small percentage of muscle mass and a troubling amount of bone mass, but she just collapses on her home world, her bones don't break. Malloy flattening the bottle on the surface may be the most problematic example in the episode. But on reddit, they're even trying to time how long her father takes to fall 5 feet -- he seems to accelerate much as he would on Earth. OK, maybe we can't see the difference between 4x and 1x, but 40x or 100x should make him fall visibly faster.

If this were Fark.com, someone would, at this point, post an image of Donald Gibb, in his role of Ogre, yelling "Nerds!", from the eponymous film, "Revenge of..."

He's an old man, and he's clearly not very physical at all, and his hand is seriously burned, and I don't know how massive Ed and his suit are, so I have to give him a gimmie on how hard it is to move Ed quickly. I was expecting him to suddenly become as strong as Alara, and pick Ed up one handed once he entered the shuttle field. I don't blame him for not knowing it would happen, he may never have been off world. Although a smart guy would have gotten himself under the low gravity field at least as soon as he got most of Ed inside.

Maybe it seemed to me, he seemed a little bit more at ease with Ed, two leg breaks later, but it seemed like he was working with Malloy's help. And nobody on the Orville "helps" Alara carry anything, that's just be silly. I was expecting a Popeye theme-song clean and jerk of the crippled suited captain by grandpa Picardo.

Last edited by Arkcon; 01-14-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM
SDSAB

Sorry to have Alara leave the show - she was one of my favorite characters.

Lots of problems with this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
...it should have been "You need to readjust to higher gravity...so we are turning up the artificial gravity in your quarters." (Roll credits.)....
Yeah, I didn't really buy that either. Or she could sleep every night in a shuttle with the gravity turned up - turn it up a little each night until it matched her homeworld's gravity, if you have to. Why did the CMO say she had to go through very painful therapy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
...both the Xelarian fathers were doctors on Star Trek....
Good catch!

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/E...raphic_program
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Phlox

Quote:
...you made me remember the best line of the episode: the one about "we can't legally ask if he's planning on dividing in 2"
Heh, I liked that, too.

Quote:
...The whole home intruder scene was horrifyingly tense....
Yeah, the shift from "I'm a germ freak and that ladle isn't clean enough" to "stick your hand in the bubbling stew or I'll kill you" was scary.

Quote:
...DS9 had a guest character with the opposite problem; she came from a very low-gravity world and needed the gravity turned down in her quarters (otherwise she was in a wheelchair)....
Yes, and she even had a similar name: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Melora_Pazlar

Quote:
...Gordon tossed what looked like an empty, uncapped aluminum bottle on the driveway of Alara's family's house and the bottle immediately crushed....
I thought for sure they'd have Alara's dad come out, see the crushed bottle, realize no one else had been there but the Orville's shuttle, and mutter, "Stupid human litterbugs."

Quote:
No. They should turn 'Security Chief of the Week' into a running joke. Like Murphy Brown's secretary or Dilbert's 'Ted.'.....
Or Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers at Hogwarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Command of a vessel involves much more than just intelligence. It demands the ability to lead....
You also have to want to lead. Spock long insisted he didn't want a command of his own; Riker was reluctant to leave the Enterprise due to his admiration of Picard and his desire to continue to serve with and learn from him.

Quote:
...He's an old man, and he's clearly not very physical at all, and his hand is seriously burned....
Which made me wonder why Alara would insist he be the one to go over the railing. Her sister or her mom were right there and in better shape. (And Alara got up and out of her chair awfully quickly and conveniently for the plot, given how weak she'd seemed to be not long before. Maybe it was some kind of Xelayan adrenaline-boost-in-crisis thing).

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01-15-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 AM
SDSAB

I also noticed several references to "the military" (which I took to be generic) and to "the Fleet" (which I took to be specific), in referring to the Union organization in which Capt. Mercer and his crew serve. As I noted in last season's thread, I don't think they'd ever given it a name before.