Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 AM

I have a feeling that at some point all of Disco is going to be wrapped up into Section 31.

We've always known that Section 31 uses tech that is not available/not known to the rest of Starfleet, and the spore drive is right up there: remember, the drive itself is classified and most of Starfleet doesn't know it exists.

Overall, this show has more of a DS9 feel than TOS or TNG, and I think that's a good thing.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 PM

This show just boggles my mind and not in a good way.

What is it about???? TNG was a continuation of TOS. Its mission right in the theme. DS9 was about the Bajoran station and changed its theme more than once getting better and better. Voyager we know exactly what that was about. St: Enterprise was a prequel and had so much potential. I hate that i wished it cancelled.

What is Discovery about? Name the leads and their role on the ship. Burnham. ??? Saru is second in command and science officer isnt he? Pike we know. Tilly is a cadet in training. Stammets??? Reno i guess will become Chief Engineer. Stammets BF is back and will reassume Chief Medical Officer?

Is Burnham Communications Officer? I guess thats a nice homage if true.

Who is android girl, African girl, eye prothstetic girl?

I guess the theme is solve the season mystery box?? That's shallow IMHO.

DS9 changed a lot and like i said earlier for the better. If I ran DISC....I'd fold it into Pike's NCC-1701. Have the ship Discovery destroyed in whatever incident directly preceded The Cage, the one Pike talked about retiring over. Fold DISCs leads into Enterprises known officers. SHIT MAN, maybe Discoverys eye prosthetic girls name is Yeoman Colt? Or make Tilly Colt.

Then after The Cage, third season on is just To Boldly Go. The Cage, WNMHGB and the very early TOS eps are great because of how raw everything looks and how Final Frontier it is.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 02-20-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Saru is second in command and science officer isnt he?
Saru is XO. He is not the Science Officer. Burnham is the science officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams
Who is android girl, African girl, eye prothstetic girl?
Tactical (maybe), Navigator, Helm, respectively.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
Saru is XO. He is not the Science Officer. Burnham is the science officer.

Tactical (maybe), Navigator, Helm, respectively.
Thank you. Two days ago, the actress who plays "android girl" (I know she's stated her name. Ill look it up now)...Airiam. Is that a pun? Air I am? Advanced Integrated Robotics I Am. Anyhoo...

The actress did a small promo on her twitter account. I responded, "You're a full Lieutenant Commander...and we still don't know anything about you. But we're getting Saru's sister??"

She 'liked' it. So at least my complaint has reached someones ear. Prosthetic ear.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I've finally caught up with this season and I'm satisfied with how it's going so far. Season 1 was great and so far, they've kept the quality high.

Among the positives: Great casting (generally), good acting and interaction, nice balance in the plots between action/tension and thoughtful issues in the Star Trek tradition. Everything looks great.

Michael Burnham is the best main character and the best actor to play a main character on Star Trek since ... hmm ... only William Shatner and Patrick Stewart were better.

Regarding casting, Anson Mount as Capt. Pike is brilliant. He didn't have to be a near-ringer for Jeffrey Hunter for it to work (Bruce Greenwood worked too), but it's amazing how much he is.

James Frain as Sarek and Mia Kirschner as Amanda are perfect. Seeing them in the roles doesn't make me miss the original actors at all.

And speaking of that, kudos on the casting of Rebecca Romijn as Number One -- perfect, gorgeous, and actually a better actor than Majel Barrett. Best stunt casting since Rainn Wilson as Harry Mudd.

"There are no fat people in the future"? ... Thanks for wishing me and people like me out of my favorite show, dude.

I'm full of the tension of meeting adult Spock for the first time. Great stuff!

And continuity? Fuck that. Just make a kick-ass show for grownups and all will be forgiven.

My sole complaint: Tig Notaro. She's just playing Tig Notaro. I drop out of the story every time she talks. I keep expecting her to make a quip about Taylor Dayne. Act gooder, Tig!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
"There are no fat people in the future"? ... Thanks for wishing me and people like me out of my favorite show, dude.
So, you wouldn't take the pill or the genetic fix that would cure it? Those that wouldn't take such a cure are the same ones that don't take vaccinations now and wouldn't be allowed to serve on a Federation Starship.
Fatness like Downs syndrome will eventually be a thing of the past.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Nm

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-23-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for wishing me and people like out of any acting jobs on our favorite show.

Thanks for making it clear that you prefer a show in which we are non-existent it invisible. That’s not just a hypothetical sci-fi future but also affects our real lives in the present, knowing that people are wishing we just weren’t here.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for wishing me and people like out of any acting jobs on our favorite show.
Star Trek is about how humans have overcome their basest natures and achieved a future free from want where the goal of each person is to better themselves and society. And while I am sure you could gorge yourself on ice cream sundaes in the future to the point of corpulence, it is very unlikely that you could do so for a number of reasons. 1. Ice Cream Sundaes of the future would be zero calories, 2. You would have been genetically modified to not store excess fat, 3. There would be a pill to cure you being fat, 4. A doctor would commit you to a sanitarium to fix whatever desire you had to self harm yourself (or give you the pill to fix your psychosis).
It isn't about justifying your poor life decisions.

Quote:
Thanks for making it clear that you prefer a show in which we are non-existent it invisible. That’s not just a hypothetical sci-fi future but also affects our real lives in the present, knowing that people are wishing we just weren’t here.
I don't wish you aren't here, I wish you aren't there. It takes me out of the moment when I see people running in a race, stopping to argue with their spoor friend (which they didn't feel the need to report to a supervisor and which would have gotten them fired off of any ship I'd be in command of), and then passing obviously fitter 'looking' candidates to win. It is no different than the person with the artificial eye on the bridge. The medical tech is enough to rebuild an eye and remove any scarring in the future. Show the episode where she is fixed. Which means I'm pretty much against seeing disabled people in Star Trek as well. This isn't Star Wars, where they bolt painful machines onto you when you lose a limb, but Star Trek where they use technology to help each other to live better lives.

You could be on that future star ship, but it would be a slimmer fitter you. Rule of thumb: if you can't fit in a Jefferies tube, you can't serve on a starship.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:50 PM

The Saru episode was disappointing. His planet seemed to only have one person on it until the end and tell other race could have been more interesting instead of goopy evil looking aliens. Saru is one of my favorite characters on the show so I am hoping they don't break him.

Pike still rules and I hope they figure out a way to keep him the rest of the series.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi View Post

You could be on that future star ship, but it would be a slimmer fitter you. Rule of thumb: if you can't fit in a Jefferies tube, you can't serve on a starship.
1. That smiling emoji does nothing ’t change the fact that what you are saying is that no one who is fat in the present is qualified to play any role in this show about a better future. We are all eliminated from this vision of the future. Regardless of what you think the future will be like, eliminating an entire category of actual people from appearing on the show merely because of their appearance amounts to disincluding us from the future.

2. Imagine you are proposing a utopian future in which all racial discrimination has been eliminated and this all skin color variations have been emiliorated through fully integrated inbreeding. This, you say, only actors with skin colors from range X to Y will be considered to appear in any role in this universe. Cutting out all those disqualifies skin types is going to alienate all the people in the audience today who want to be represented in the show. “Don’t worry, you’re there but you just don’t look like you!” doesn’t change that.

3. Tilly isn’t necessarily obese in a manner that unquestionably defines her as physically defective. Sorry he’s just larger than average, which by itself isn’t a health defect that needs to be fixed.

4. “There is no wrong way to have a body.”

5. Genetic manipulation, should it be fully functional in 300-400 years, is going to change human appearance in ways we can’t imagine. There is no reason to believe that societal standards of beauty are going to stay the same as they are now. Thus we don’t actually know what people are going to want to look like. Today’s more attractive actors likely aren’t a representation of what people will do with designer genetics. So casting say Chris Pine in a role in such a future is just as likely to be as unrealistic as casting an overweight person. When we make shoes like this we aren’t casting to predict the future. We are casting to have us all in the present consider ourselves a member of a better society. So we all need to be represented there having the bodies we have and looking like we look like in the present. Telling me “you’ll be there but you won’t look like you” is no comfort. I’m left outside the party looking in.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:08 PM

You could easily run a marathon in a couple of hours too if you were all hopped up on space mushrooms. Plus, what is the policy on physical + mental mods in the military in the future?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
1. That smiling emoji does nothing ’t change the fact that what you are saying is that no one who is fat in the present is qualified to play any role in this show about a better future.
I'm not sure what your objection is here. People are working on cures now. I'm guessing in about 20 years obesity will be a thing of the past, let alone in 200 years.

Quote:
We are all eliminated from this vision of the future. Regardless of what you think the future will be like, eliminating an entire category of actual people from appearing on the show merely because of their appearance amounts to disincluding us from the future.
There are many jobs where obese people can't do now, so should we show people unfit for the job doing those jobs as well? I used to run a 5.5 minute mile in my 20's when in the army. After 1 heart attack, 60lbs and 35 years later I can't do that anymore. Should there be old fat guys in action flicks to make me feel better?

Quote:
2. Cutting out all those disqualifies skin types is going to alienate all the people in the audience today who want to be represented in the show. “Don’t worry, you’re there but you just don’t look like you!” doesn’t change that.
So, if no white guys in their late 50's are on the show, then I can't enjoy it because I can't relate to any of the characters?

Quote:
Sorry he’s just larger than average, which by itself isn’t a health defect that needs to be fixed.
It won't need to be fixed because it won't exist in that time period.

Quote:
4. “There is no wrong way to have a body.”
Hey, maybe in the future you can choose to look like Jabba the Hut. If you can meet the physical qualifications to crew a starship, then great. I would figure any role on a starship is a plumb position and the competition is fierce both mentally and physically (assuming people still look remotely like us as you have pointed out). Anyone who isn't at the peak of the competition isn't likely to make the cut. See many porky current astronauts, btw?

Quote:
Telling me “you’ll be there but you won’t look like you” is no comfort. I’m left outside the party looking in.
I remember sitting around a community drinking table one night looking up at the stars. I was about 45 at the time and said, "I've finally given up my dream of being an NHL star". Got a few laughs at that one, but you probably had to be there. I guess I should stop watching hockey, too, huh?
Old 02-24-2019, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The Saru episode was disappointing. His planet seemed to only have one person on it until the end and tell other race could have been more interesting instead of goopy evil looking aliens.
When Saru gave his little "I must return some day to free my people" speech a few episodes ago, I was like "Well there's a set up for a 3-episode arc." Silly me, but of course he got it done in one. I mean, for fuck's sake, even Moses had to wander for 40 years. Now, watch out! Here comes Saru! He'll do it for you in 40 minutes! (Granted, he had help from Tilly and a Nirvana In Utero album jacket.)

The actor playing the goopy evil Ba'ul looked a lot like the actor playing the goopy evil thing that killed Tasha Yar.

"That scar represented everything that made Hugh the man he is today and now it's gone." That is some subtle shit right there.

I can't believe I'm actually liking this season. Someone call in Tilly to do a level one diagnostic on me.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Star Trek is a fantasy/allegory/adventure genre. It’s not meant to be a reasliatic depictionnof a projected future. Of all the things in Star Trek that are logically or scientifically questionable what takes you out of the movie is (1) the very existence of an overweight woman in the world, and (2) an overweight woman outrunning thin people. You are making assumptions about technology and Tilly based solely upon her weight. You don’t know the state of her health or fitness or how in-universe technology has affected it. Some overweight people are capable of outrunning some thin people, and it’s entirely possible that Star Trek technology and health care allow her to be capable of that.

Certain groups of Americans have had to suffer generation of being invisible in American culture or treated as marginal, seemed to fit only certain marginal roles. Black people is one. Gay men is one. Black women in positions of authority is one. Overweight women is one. (Old white dudes are not.)

This version of Star Trek has managed to create strong, well-written. compelling characters from many of these marginal groups, and you’re here actually wishing one of them completely out if existence in the context of the show.

And it’s based entirely insisting on sticking to one small projection of what the “real future” will be like when the entire context of the story is fantasy and filled with unrealistic aspects. That’s hostile to me here in our world here and now. It’s really not a level of personal hostility I enjoy seeing in a discussion about a beloved TV show, so I’m unsubscribing from this thread. I’ll have to find my Discovery discussion fix elsewhere.

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-24-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

So far as I can tell, all this talk about fat is irrelevant and is threatening to disrupt all discussion about this TV show (you know, what this thread is about). Everyone, drop the subject. If you wish to start a thread about representation of overweight people on TV in general (I can't imagine this is a topic limited to Star Trek), start a new thread for that.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And it’s based entirely insisting on sticking to one small projection of what the “real future” will be like when the entire context of the story is fantasy and filled with unrealistic aspects. That’s hostile to me here in our world here and now. It’s really not a level of personal hostility I enjoy seeing in a discussion about a beloved TV show, so I’m unsubscribing from this thread. I’ll have to find my Discovery discussion fix elsewhere.
I wrote a long missive, but I think I'll just leave answer with this: Snowflakes wouldn't be allowed to serve on federation starships, either.

Last edited by Uzi; 02-24-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

When I said "drop it", I meant it. Uzi, that's a warning both for personal insults and for failure to follow moderator instructions.

Last edited by Chronos; 02-25-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

1. If you look what I wrote you can see I had originally written quite a bit longer post which I discarded prior to the post you see. I had started that hours before and did not refresh or preview, so I did not see your post to knock it off until much later.
2. I apologize for calling Acsenray a snowflake. Let me rephrase that and say that people that are offended easily, especially when there was no intent to do so, wouldn't be in Starfleet otherwise the Federation would be at constant war with everyone they meet, not just the few baddies depicted in the show.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:42 AM

What about cyborgs? More than a couple of characters appear to be partially or fully cybernetic. Seems like a refreshing departure from when robots like Data were "different". Hence my comment about enhancement and why superhuman feats like running marathons without training may not be considered a big deal.

Last edited by DPRK; 02-25-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:44 AM

If running a marathon without training wasn't a big deal, running a marathon wouldn't be part of training. "Okay, in order to become elite officers, first you must do something mundane that anyone can do with no problem!"
Old 02-25-2019, 01:20 PM

Acsenray, you appear to genuinely like the show. Cool. No one should ever ascribe negative attributes to someones genuine enjoyment of a show. *Especially* when one can point out why you like it and whats you think is good about it.

*I* like the original BSG. It's colorful. It's sweeping. They managed to pack a ton of stuff into the only season. I like The Omega Man. It's got a great soundtrack, and an unconventional ending. Not everything is for everybody.

That said....I still don't know what DISC is about.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 AM

No discussion of our first encounter with Spock?

I can't really figure out why they felt they had to drag in the whole time travel angle. Because it turned out so great on Enterprise?

But it seems like we're actually going to segue right into Talos IV. I wonder how that's gonna play out...
Old 03-01-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post

I can't really figure out why they felt they had to drag in the whole time travel angle. Because it turned out so great on Enterprise?
I am guessing that CBS is sensitive to the fans "not liking" the new Trek. So I sense story lines that have built-in retcons incoming.

For example, Captain Pike's throwaway line about how he ordered hologram based communication systems being disabled on the Enterprise, because reasons. Some fans are upset that the futuristic look of the technology shown far exceeds that shown in Shatner's TOS series.

As an aside: In this age of Internet Outrage Olympics, I think it's getting harder and harder for TV and movie studios to please the die hard fans of Star Trek, Star Wars, and other beloved franchises. *cough cough* ghostbusters *cough

Quote:
But it seems like we're actually going to segue right into Talos IV. I wonder how that's gonna play out...
I don't understand that last reference. Was there something I missed in the "upcoming episode" trailer?
Old 03-01-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I am guessing that CBS is sensitive to the fans "not liking" the new Trek. So I sense story lines that have built-in retcons incoming.

For example, Captain Pike's throwaway line about how he ordered hologram based communication systems being disabled on the Enterprise, because reasons. Some fans are upset that the futuristic look of the technology shown far exceeds that shown in Shatner's TOS series.

As an aside: In this age of Internet Outrage Olympics, I think it's getting harder and harder for TV and movie studios to please the die hard fans of Star Trek, Star Wars, and other beloved franchises. *cough cough* ghostbusters *cough

I don't understand that last reference. Was there something I missed in the "upcoming episode" trailer?
Just watched. Seem to be actual Talosians in the next episode. No idea how that works out.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's a very real possibility. Which I'm afraid would just be the sort of compromise nobody's happy with in the end. The outraged will find reasons for outrage, and the rest are left with a show where nothing really matters because there's always a finger hovering over the 'undo' button.

Quote:
Maybe not directly in the next episode, but the long term arc seems to be laying the foundation for the original TOS pilot, or at least that's where Michael going to Talos IV appears to lead.

Last edited by Half Man Half Wit; 03-01-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Ah! I just watched the trailer/promo for season 2, episode 8. Yup. Definitely has the Talosians there.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 AM

"It's good to be back in the chair."

Oh, Captain Pike. There is so much I want to tell you, and yet I cannot...
Old 03-03-2019, 02:29 AM

I've been thinking about what's bothering me with the show, and I've realized that it isn't the bad science or messy plotting, it's the fact that the show keeps reaching for these big emotional crescendos it doesn't come close to earning. Discovery: relax. Roll up you sleeves and tell a good story, and the emotion will come on its own, organically.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I've been thinking about what's bothering me with the show, and I've realized that it isn't the bad science or messy plotting, it's the fact that the show keeps reaching for these big emotional crescendos it doesn't come close to earning.

Yeah, tell me about it. I tend to fast-forward through half of those--one of the worst was the one between Michael and Saru when they thought that Saru was dying. (I keep wanting her to tell him that in the mirror universe, she ate him.)
Old 03-03-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I've been thinking about what's bothering me with the show, and I've realized that it isn't the bad science or messy plotting, it's the fact that the show keeps reaching for these big emotional crescendos it doesn't come close to earning. Discovery: relax. Roll up you sleeves and tell a good story, and the emotion will come on its own, organically.
I agree with this. The show is much improved this season but they really try to make it A VERY SERIOUS DRAMA way too hard. Please stop with the ponderous monologues. Please.

That said. I enjoyed this episode. Trek has wonky time shenanigans baked in so we were due. Other thoughts:

The Red Angel is going to be Michael herself isn't it?

I hope the next episode(s) reveal exactly why the Federation's one and only capital crime is going to Talos IV. Other than the fact that the aliens there are dangerous. That is true of a bunch of planets so something must have singled out Talos.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I agree with this. The show is much improved this season but they really try to make it A VERY SERIOUS DRAMA way too hard. Please stop with the ponderous monologues. Please.

That said. I enjoyed this episode. Trek has wonky time shenanigans baked in so we were due. Other thoughts:

The Red Angel is going to be Michael herself isn't it?

I hope the next episode(s) reveal exactly why the Federation's one and only capital crime is going to Talos IV. Other than the fact that the aliens there are dangerous. That is true of a bunch of planets so something must have singled out Talos.
Its because "You humans would learn our powers and destroy yourselves"

Its that simple. Also its a writer ploy to up the stakes on the episode it was written for.

Now to deconstruct that...the only death penalty on the books would only draw more attention to it but the a statute only has to last as long at the Talosians and that wasnt going to be very long. All that said...YES, Im sure DISC will try and put a new spin on that Ala SOLO etc....

And im sure DISC will eff up continuity even more. How the hell is Burnham running into Talosians?? What the hell do they care about Spock in the Cage era?*

*I will grant that in the Menagerie era....its weird that Spock "Contacted the Talosians to bring Pike to them for him to live out the rest of his life in illusionary bliss" and i guess theres room to flesh that out.

As for The Red Angel...Im hoping it will be Archer/Future Guy

Last edited by Dale Sams; 03-03-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Yeah, tell me about it. I tend to fast-forward through half of those--one of the worst was the one between Michael and Saru when they thought that Saru was dying. (I keep wanting her to tell him that in the mirror universe, she ate him.)
She didn't eat Saru, it was another Kelpien. Still an awkward conversation though.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
She didn't eat Saru, it was another Kelpien. Still an awkward conversation though.

Darn you Biffster! (This thread, starting at post #43.)
Old 03-04-2019, 06:31 AM

As DS9 taught us again and again, what happens in the mirror universe, stays in the mirror universe.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Its because "You humans would learn our powers and destroy yourselves"

Its that simple. Also its a writer ploy to up the stakes on the episode it was written for.

It's a law the Federation wrote for itself. It wasn't a declaration by the Talosians so it's more than that. Something happened there. There is definitely a seed of a story there. Of course the show may not address it at all and have the law already be in place but I am hoping otherwise.

Last edited by Quimby; 03-04-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
It's a law the Federation wrote for itself. It wasn't a declaration by the Talosians so it's more than that. Something happened there. There is definitely a seed of a story there. Of course the show may not address it at all and have the law already be in place but I am hoping otherwise.
The Feds wrote it so humans wouldn't visit and learn the Talosians powers of illusion.

But yes I agree there's definitely room to up the stakes on that.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Am I naive for hoping that the 3 red dots thing we saw in Fartbot's (née Airiam) eyes while the probe was going through the data isn't a Fartbot OS virus that will take over her and cause some shit?

I mean, a Star Trek/Predator crossover would be super cool, but I have my doubts.

Last edited by zbuzz; 03-04-2019 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Fartbot OS virus got me too, had to fix with an edit
Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And then she thought Tilley could be dead, and then they found the doctor and then lost the doctor again. Just as an fyi, anything born from a pod needs to be disrupted. I'm surprised how many characters in Star Trek (not just this series) have been compromised by aliens and then allowed to keep their command positions.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Okay I had the timeline messed up in my head. The Cage already happened but this kind of helps set up why Spock thinks to help Pike in TOS by taking him back to Talos.

I enjoyed this episode and having clips of The Cage show in the "previously on..." package made me grin like an idiot.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:46 PM

So from the Talosians POV...they have to think "WTF?? You guys keep coming back"

The Cage: "You were our best chance. We have to let you go. This is a death sentence for us. Best if you never return"

Last Nights Show: "Uhhhh...didnt you guys just leave a few years ago? Yeah, I guess we can fix your brain. Weird choice though to look for us. Death penalty much??"

The Menagerie: "Okay....this is just stupid. Yeah, roll him over to the elevator. Whatever."
Old 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM

Well, at least it seems SQL will still be around in 200 years...

So, how's the Airiam situation going to play out? By the way, is there any word yet on what exactly the character is supposed to be? Augmented, alien, robot? It seems kinda strange that TNG made such a big thing of Data, when a hundred years earlier she's basically taken in stride...

And of course, the bad blood between Michael and Spock had to be because she oh so nobly tried to push him away for his own good. Because god forbid the character have any actual flaws. Spock kinda seemed to be a dick about it, though.

The things that destroyed all the planets in Spock's vision reminded me of Mass Effect's Reapers. Again, scale: it's never enough anymore to have just a threat to Earth, or even Discovery itself; no, it's gotta be all sentient life in the galaxy, nobody's gonna even get up for less.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
By the way, is there any word yet on what exactly the character is supposed to be? Augmented, alien, robot?

Thanks to threads here, I can only think of it as a fartbot.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Well, at least it seems SQL will still be around in 200 years...

So, how's the Airiam situation going to play out? By the way, is there any word yet on what exactly the character is supposed to be? Augmented, alien, robot? It seems kinda strange that TNG made such a big thing of Data, when a hundred years earlier she's basically taken in stride...

And of course, the bad blood between Michael and Spock had to be because she oh so nobly tried to push him away for his own good. Because god forbid the character have any actual flaws. Spock kinda seemed to be a dick about it, though.

The things that destroyed all the planets in Spock's vision reminded me of Mass Effect's Reapers. Again, scale: it's never enough anymore to have just a threat to Earth, or even Discovery itself; no, it's gotta be all sentient life in the galaxy, nobody's gonna even get up for less.
First I think her name is a pun of sorts "Airiam" Air I am. Advanced Integrated Robotics I am.

Second, I noticed in a close-up she seems to be a withered thing, or some kind of very alien creature under all that. I also object to her disuse in the past cause she's a full frigging Lieutenant Commander!

I also object to the constant use of "threat to galaxy". Even TOS only used it once (might have been the universe!) in "Alternative Factor"....mayyyybeee That Space Ameoba ep featured a galaxy-wide threat.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Rather well, I thought. Right down to the singing flowers.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
Rather well, I thought. Right down to the singing flowers.
I haven't seen it, and have to wonder what kind of writers put so much weight on "feelings and harsh words". I'm referring to the drama between Burnham and Spock.

...but from what I've read and some clips I've seen, the episode seemed good.

I'm hoping the Red Angel is Picard. To me thats the only revelation that will have any kind of impact.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks to threads here, I can only think of it as a fartbot.
My work here is done.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Darn you Biffster! (This thread, starting at post #43.)

Mmm-mm! That’s some tasty ganglion!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:45 PM

I'm only 2 episodes into the season, so there may be relevant character development I haven't seen yet... but is Tilly supposed to be Wesley Crusheresque?

At first I thought it was just trying to inject a sort of "normal", imperfect character to contrast to all of the always perfect star trek characters, as mostly a source of comic relief.

But in episode 2, they talk about how Tilly was the youngest person ever accepted into the command track program. Why? She doesn't seem unique or gifted or have a talent for command or anything like that. But we're supposed to accept she's a prodigy or otherwise special in terms of the command track program?

So you combine a character that's just an awkward person that a lot of the awkward audience of a star trek show can relate to (just like Wesley was supposed to be a Marty Stu gifted magic kid that all of the 13 year old boys watching Star Trek could imagine themselves as) and then declare her to be a prodigy or special or otherwise worthy of special consideration or praise....

At least Wesley was a genuine prodigy, Tilly is just a super awkward person who everyone pretends is this super smart unique person who will make a great captain one day. It's quite frankly a huge "show don't tell" violation - we're being told by everyone around us that she's special but clearly from what we can actually see she is not.

I really don't understand wtf they're trying to accomplish with the character. If she's just an quirky neurotic character comedy relief, then so be it, but does she have to be The Chosen One Who Will Become The Best Captain Ever Despite No Reason That Would Be too?

The Orville is doing Star Trek way better than this, especially in the second half of the second season.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:12 AM

Tilly was especially Mary Sueish tonight. (Brad Garret voice) Everybody loves Tilly. (/Brad Garret voice)

Also

SPOILER:
Poor Fartbot. (Sniff.)