Old 04-02-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
I just saw the latest episode. Did the download complete before the rift sucked up the Mcguffin?

I think it got about halfway through - just enough to cause trouble but not enough to kill everybody.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Did I miss the episode when they introduced Control? Because it seems like they just mentioned it once or twice, and suddenly it's the most important thing in the show.
I felt exactly the same way. I found myself googling the plot mid show to try find out what I missed.

There's so much I love about this show, but it continues to fall short. For some reason though, I keep sticking with it...
Old 04-02-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Tales of San Francisco View Post
I felt exactly the same way. I found myself googling the plot mid show to try find out what I missed.

There's so much I love about this show, but it continues to fall short. For some reason though, I keep sticking with it...

That’s how I feel about the Walking Dead. Discovery I started on last season and again this season but really couldn’t stay interested for the whole thing. Maybe it’s just trying too hard to look stylish, but it’s not Trek-like enough for me.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:17 AM

So I'm just watching the latest episode, and apparently they've still got the Sphere data? I thought at least the plan of downloading it into the suit had worked, but now there's apparently 'no way' to either destroy the data or remove it from the ship.

But then it's easy, right? Abandon ship and activate the self-destruct. Or fly her into the nearest star, I don't care. Or am I missing something?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
So I'm just watching the latest episode, and apparently they've still got the Sphere data? I thought at least the plan of downloading it into the suit had worked, but now there's apparently 'no way' to either destroy the data or remove it from the ship.

But then it's easy, right? Abandon ship and activate the self-destruct. Or fly her into the nearest star, I don't care. Or am I missing something?
Oh, well, they actually came to the same conclusion in the end...
Old 04-05-2019, 02:53 PM

Some spoilers for this week's below. Just doing this since the episode just dropped.

Pike is so great on this show. Having him knowingly create such a terrible future for himself as a sacrifice is probably the best use this series has ever made of the fact that it is prequel.

Seeing the 60s Pike Makeup done realistically was gruesome in a good way.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:46 PM

No bad. Barely any Tilly, and Michael only had to heroically hold back tears once or twice. Still, you're up against an enemy who can zombify people, and you don't suspect that the sole "survivor" of a ghost ship might be a zombie? What, have they evolved beyond horror movies in the future?

Also, why the hell is Spock still out of uniform?

Last edited by Alessan; 04-05-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Some spoilers for this week's below. Just doing this since the episode just dropped.

Pike is so great on this show. Having him knowingly create such a terrible future for himself as a sacrifice is probably the best use this series has ever made of the fact that it is prequel.

Seeing the 60s Pike Makeup done realistically was gruesome in a good way.
I rarely have nightmares after a TV episode of a movie, but this one caused me some very unsettling dreams.

I love Captain Pike, and I love the way that Anson Mount portrayed the horror without making it seem silly or melodramatic. I felt it. And he was obviously still shaken later when talking to Spock and Burnham.

But I'm wondering... Is his future really sealed like Tenovik told him? Now that he knows that this horror is in store, couldn't he just avoid the scenario that caused it to happen? Or will he just get to live out his days happily with Vina on Talos like in the original series?
Old 04-06-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages View Post
I rarely have nightmares after a TV episode of a movie, but this one caused me some very unsettling dreams.

I love Captain Pike, and I love the way that Anson Mount portrayed the horror without making it seem silly or melodramatic. I felt it. And he was obviously still shaken later when talking to Spock and Burnham.

But I'm wondering... Is his future really sealed like Tenovik told him? Now that he knows that this horror is in store, couldn't he just avoid the scenario that caused it to happen? Or will he just get to live out his days happily with Vina on Talos like in the original series?
I think the idea is that is the sacrifice he made. Had he left the crystal his future could have been changed but by taking it he locked that destiny in for himself. It's wonky hand wavey stuff but he made it work.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

One of these days, maybe in season three, they really need to have several lighter episodes, get some humor in there, maybe shore leave gone crazy wacky bad. Something.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages View Post
One of these days, maybe in season three, they really need to have several lighter episodes, get some humor in there, maybe shore leave gone crazy wacky bad. Something.
God help me, even a holodeck episode would be welcome at this point.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:25 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong.

A copy of Control injected itself into a crewman on a random Section 31 ship and ejected itself and the entire crew into space, all on the chance that Burnham would notice a ten-minute late check-in and come investigate?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong.

A copy of Control injected itself into a crewman on a random Section 31 ship and ejected itself and the entire crew into space, all on the chance that Burnham would notice a ten-minute late check-in and come investigate?
It wasn't even Burnham who noticed! She doesn't have access to Section 31. If the other guy didn't mention the late check-in to her this entire episode wouldn't have happened.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:35 PM

That bridge!!! It was perfect and I loved every second they showed it!!!

Last edited by Quimby; 04-11-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Well that was... something. I'm surprised they couldn't find a way to have the ghost of Captain Lorca pop in and tell Michael how awesome she is, too.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:24 PM

Man does this season bores me to death... bla bla sob sob bla bla sob sob.... ugh
Old 04-12-2019, 08:27 PM

Why isn't anyone up in arms about giving the show a female lead who can never stop crying? Can you imagine if they had written Janeway like that?
Old 04-12-2019, 10:18 PM

I don't remember Tilly's Serene Majesty friend, Po, though she was in the "previously on Discovery" sequence. Am I forgetting something?

As mentioned upthread, they really hit the ground running with the "Control" plot. I don't remember anything about it, then there's a couple minute meeting, then half the season is about stopping Control. Seemed a clumsy, abrupt plot change.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:41 PM

This show went to the pits when it start meddling with time travel. I hate that. Since when has Star Trek been about time travel.
What a mess the show has become.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
I don't remember Tilly's Serene Majesty friend, Po, though she was in the "previously on Discovery" sequence. Am I forgetting something?
She was in the 'short' episodes - there were 4 of them and so far, 3 of the 4 have had direct relation to the season.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post

The show decided that being on a minor subscription-based streaming service wasn't obscure enough, so they brought in a character from a web-only short, which I didn't know about until googling just now.

The next step is to feature characers who starred in a Braille Bantu-language fan-fiction kept in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard."

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 04-12-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:43 AM

Fuck trying to recrystallize dilithium, if they could get everything to run on Michael's tears they'd have an inexhaustible power supply.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
The show decided that being on a minor subscription-based streaming service wasn't obscure enough, so they brought in a character from a web-only short, which I didn't know about until googling just now.

The next step is to feature characers who starred in a Braille Bantu-language fan-fiction kept in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard."
Thanks. I think this will be news to a few people in this thread.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:34 AM

I'm thinking Jett Reno doesn't make it to season 3.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:44 AM

Wait, is Spock going to the future with them? I guess that means they'll be back.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:57 AM

As I told the wife last nite - when you have long tearful goodbyes, you always come back. It's only when you declare your undying love and 'we'll be together forever' that you don't.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Since when does everyone in Star Trek talk into smartphones to send messages?

That said, the shorts were great (they aired on TV in Canada) and because of Calypso everyone watching knew the whole 'Discovery is going to be destroyed' wouldn't work.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:45 AM

I don't have a problem with a little schmaltz. Comes with the territory. But my god they laid it on thick here. The scene with Burnham's adoptive parents was especially cringeworthy.

And it was seemingly endless! I saw a theory floated on another site that given the unusual number of episodes (14 instead of 13) and that this makes people who subscribed on the day of the season premiere buy an extra month of CBSAA (by a single day), that they started with one season finale and padded it out to two episodes to make more money. I kind of hope that was the reason instead of it being purely a creative decision. Because that was terrible storytelling.

And as that same site pointed out, if this isn't paid off by actually losing Burnham, at least for a while, it will be really sickening to spend all that time saying farewell to a character who isn't actually going anywhere.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:38 AM

So... somehow Sarek and Amanda were able to physically come out to the Discovery and say "good bye" to Burnham, but StarFleet couldn't muster a few more ships to help fight Control?

Or: Sarek knew their daughter was in enough deep water to fear for her, yet didn't bother to let StarFleet know to send help?

Ok, I can accept the need for Discovery to hard dock with the Enterprise to facilitate evacuating Discovery's crew faster. But good god, that special effect they used with the unfolding gangways looked pretty dumb to me.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 AM

Is Season three going to be with the Discovery, Burham, Spock, and friends, marooned in the future, trying to prevent Control from grabbing the McGuffindata, and get back to their own time?

I wonder if there is a connection between the borg, and Control. I saw a fansite/Youtube speculating along these lines.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Ok, I can accept the need for Discovery to hard dock with the Enterprise to facilitate evacuating Discovery's crew faster. But good god, that special effect they used with the unfolding gangways looked pretty dumb to me.

To be fair, the sound effects were even more stupid.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
So... somehow Sarek and Amanda were able to physically come out to the Discovery and say "good bye" to Burnham, but StarFleet couldn't muster a few more ships to help fight Control?

Or: Sarek knew their daughter was in enough deep water to fear for her, yet didn't bother to let StarFleet know to send help?
Sarek knew of Burnham's dilemma based on her Katra - Sarek was seen on the beach 'reaching out to her' at the beginning of the episode, and it was stated in a prior episode he was the best at it. Recall, they used a similar technique when Sarek was injured/dieing in season 1 and Burnham was able to find him as well.

As for informing the rest of Starfleet - well (a) stated in episode that 'ship to ship' was the only communication available as 'subspace communications' had been compromised and (b) while Sarek may have been able to know Burnham was having an issue -not sure there was sufficient detail there to warrant calling starfleet at the time.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Sarek knew of Burnham's dilemma based on her Katra - Sarek was seen on the beach 'reaching out to her' at the beginning of the episode, and it was stated in a prior episode he was the best at it. Recall, they used a similar technique when Sarek was injured/dieing in season 1 and Burnham was able to find him as well.
I recall that, yes.

Quote:
As for informing the rest of Starfleet - well (a) stated in episode that 'ship to ship' was the only communication available as 'subspace communications' had been compromised and (b) while Sarek may have been able to know Burnham was having an issue -not sure there was sufficient detail there to warrant calling starfleet at the time.
But he knew where to rendevous with her? His segment on the beach was before they spore jumped to the fifth signal.

Last edited by mlees; 04-17-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I recall that, yes.

But he knew where to rendevous with her?
The same way that Burnham knew how to find Sarek - 'vulcan magic' - or (offscreen) they called and got directions and told them not to tell Burnham.

Its simply not covered in the episode any more direct than that.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
The same way that Burnham knew how to find Sarek - 'vulcan magic' - or (offscreen) they called and got directions and told them not to tell Burnham.

Its simply not covered in the episode any more direct than that.

I guess I'm too dumb for this show.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 PM

The woo is strong with this show.

OTOH, I don't have a complaint about the docking. I like pretty much all the technical stuff on this show: CGI, set design, makeup, etc. It's the writing and sometimes the acting that I have real trouble with.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I recall that, yes.

But he knew where to rendevous with her? His segment on the beach was before they spore jumped to the fifth signal.
I thought the whole thing was very confusingly plotted. So, Discovery can jump any which where, yet somehow, Control always seems to find them, while Starfleet can't, yet they could meet up with Enterprise, and Sarek could find them, if only to fly over, have a tearful goodbye, and then jet off again. I'm sure this can be made sense of somehow, but the show itself didn't really seem to bother---it was just a set of scenes they wanted to show, connected by very loose threads.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 PM

So I fast-forwarded through about 90% of the season finale, and don't feel that I missed anything meaningful. Talk about padding.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 PM

Why don't they build starships out of whatever that door was made of? HONESTLY. That whole thing was so dumb. Why didn't they beam her out? Why didn't they send in one of those repair drones to yank the handle? Why didn't they tie a piece of rope to the thing and pull it from the other side of the door?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:11 AM

Why was the camera avoiding showing the interrogators face at the end?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldris bal Comar View Post
Why don't they build starships out of whatever that door was made of? HONESTLY. That whole thing was so dumb. Why didn't they beam her out? Why didn't they send in one of those repair drones to yank the handle? Why didn't they tie a piece of rope to the thing and pull it from the other side of the door?
Yeah. They build the whole time-suit while under heavy attack in like half an hour (or whatever it was), but can't jury-rig something that'll close a door in fifteen minutes?

And I had thought they'd have to go into the past, and change something so it'll never be the case that Discovery comes into possession of the Sphere-data, which might have gone some way to explain the absence of reference to Spock's sister, the Spore drive, and all the other oddities from future series. I'm not normally in favor of such a reset-button, but the whole 'now let's never talk about any of this ever again'-thing we got instead seemed incredibly hollow.

One thing I can't recall, how did they ever know it was going to be seven signals in the first place? The episode they came up with the whole concept, it seemed that there just had been seven signals, but for some reason, they could only determine the origin of one; but the other signals had not yet occurred. So why did they know it would be seven?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Yeah. They build the whole time-suit while under heavy attack in like half an hour (or whatever it was), but can't jury-rig something that'll close a door in fifteen minutes?

And I had thought they'd have to go into the past, and change something so it'll never be the case that Discovery comes into possession of the Sphere-data, which might have gone some way to explain the absence of reference to Spock's sister, the Spore drive, and all the other oddities from future series. I'm not normally in favor of such a reset-button, but the whole 'now let's never talk about any of this ever again'-thing we got instead seemed incredibly hollow.

One thing I can't recall, how did they ever know it was going to be seven signals in the first place? The episode they came up with the whole concept, it seemed that there just had been seven signals, but for some reason, they could only determine the origin of one; but the other signals had not yet occurred. So why did they know it would be seven?
so - somehow, Burnham knew exactly what /who she would need based on facts she did not know at just the right time to be able to make the jumps needed.

How did she 'know' the Kelpians would go her way?
When did she meet Po?
I thought it was her mom that came to her in times of need (astroid)? or just that one time?

A few too many things were way too handwaved.

I enjoyed the season - but you can't sit and think about it for long.

I have less issue with the "never speak of this again" - atleast that addresses the whole "why we never heard of this before" - but how do you get all of starfleet to forget the mutineer that saved us from the klingon war and her speech?

It also looks like much of the crew of Discovery went to the future - not just the seven that got to send emails (one of which helped save the day)

Last edited by simster; 04-20-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 AM

continued thoughts -

I knew early on it was going to be Burnham as the source and that somehow all the signals were intended to 'get them things they need' - but in the end (when she figures out thats what happens) they set up such a paradox.

Would have been better if they left it as 'Mom' playing with the timeline leading discovery to the bits instead of Michael.

As for the 7 signals - When they introduced them, Pike said "they had detected 7 signals, but only one lingered long enough" - not quite sure how they managed to detect things that had not happened yet?

Last edited by simster; 04-20-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:16 AM

It also occurred to me that Burnhan's 'red signal' at the asteroid occurred AFTER the red signal that took them there originally - since she 'saw her injured self'.

IIRC, the 'red signal(s)' generally disappeared directly after (or just prior) to Discovery's arrival at the location(s).

grrrrrr.....
Old 04-20-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Why was the camera avoiding showing the interrogators face at the end?
Because he doesn't matter. He could have been anybody. The focus stayed on the people being interrogated.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Isnt a regulation that mentions the people never to be mentioned sort of self-defeating?? Call it the Streisand Regulation...also (ahem) Hollywood writers...again, thats not what treason means.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:41 PM

I thought the second season was really lackluster compared to the first, but it really went out with a bang. Yes, it's full of "but why didn't they just..." but Star Trek usually is.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:16 PM

I quite like hurling them into the future that far. Talk about leaving the door open for all kinds of possibilities. Maybe somehow THEY have the most advanced ship when they arrive.

By the way...was the other 150 or so crew given an opportunity to disembark? You're asking a lot to tell a crew to they may spend the rest of their lives in the future.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 PM

It was only essential personnel and volunteers per Captain Pike’s orders.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 AM

I want to take credit for last week's prediction that Jett Reno was going to die during the unexploded torpedo incident. Thought her being exposed to the time crystal during the power transfer meant something.