Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 AM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,724

Survivor 38: Edge of Extinction premieres Wednesday


Quote:
The Emmy Award-winning series returns for its 38th season, themed “Edge of Extinction.” This edition features 18 castaways divided into two equal tribes, The Manu Tribe and The Kama Tribe. Four returning players join the 14 castaways who are competing for the first time. The returning castaways are Joe Anglim (“Worlds Apart,” “Second Chance”), Aubry Bracco (“Kaoh Rong,” “Game Changers”), Kelley Wentworth (“Second Chance,” “San Juan del Sur”) and David Wright (“Millennials vs. Gen-X”). This season presents a new layer to the game with the introduction of the island known as “Edge of Extinction,” which severely tests the will of the castaways to be the Sole Survivor and what they are willing to endure to make that happen. Those who can withstand the emotionally and physically difficult challenge will be afforded a shot at one of them to get back in the game and continue their quest for $1 million.
I'm normally against a few castaways returning (especially since we'll probably have an all-stars for season 40), but David and Aubrey are two of my favorites, so I'll suck it up. I don't remember Joe or Kelley at all.

I think last season proved that regardless of what the premise is, the quality of the season ultimately comes down to the quality of the castaways. I've heard rumors about what the twist is, but nothing specific, so please no spoilers on it.
  #2  
Old 02-18-2019, 12:40 PM
magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I've heard rumors about what the twist is, but nothing specific, so please no spoilers on it.
I might be wrong (just read the same rumors I believe, nothing 100% sure) but the description you posted basically explains it.

I'm fully prepared for the Edge of Extinction island to make this a really stupid season, but maybe that way I'll be pleasantly surprised.
  #3  
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,063
I fully expect Extinction Island to be pointless and irrelevant. I don't tune in for the goofy gimmicks, though, so no harm no foul for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I'm normally against a few castaways returning (especially since we'll probably have an all-stars for season 40), but David and Aubrey are two of my favorites, so I'll suck it up. I don't remember Joe or Kelley at all.
Joe was essentially the next Malcolm, if you remember Malcolm. (Googling both, Malcolm's back-to-back seasons were 25 and 26, Joe's were 30 and 31.)
  #4  
Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 PM
notfrommensa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,845
IIRC, Joe was bigger than Malcolm. Taller and heftier.

He was dominating challenges in his 2nd season, until he passed out on a balance challenge. Jeff was talking about balls and poles during the challenge.

On the same season, Kelly Wentworth played a HII when she had nine votes against her. Sneaky Sneaky. Andrew Savage went home.
  #5  
Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 AM
magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,307
Decent opening episode. Too bad we didn't get an hour and a half like last season, that was a really good opener. Too soon to say who I like the chances of out of the non-returnees... maybe Rick?

I felt bad for Reem at first - it's no fun getting on the island and immediately becoming an outcast and being targeted - but man did she do a bad job of playing the game. Instead of figuring out a way to flip the votes or even just apologizing she just kept doubling down on being upset.

The ending was nice and creepy, though I think it would've worked better if they hadn't explained it at all at the start of the episode.

Will be curious to see how many people end up voluntarily quitting... I'm thinking in the 2-4 range, I can't see many people giving up. But it's also hard to say without knowing exactly what supplies they'll get ... obviously if they don't give them food people may end up quitting, or be forced to from starvation and getting medically evacuated.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 02-21-2019 at 02:19 AM.
  #6  
Old 02-21-2019, 09:57 AM
phungi's Avatar
phungi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: on the spinning sphere
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Decent opening episode. Too bad we didn't get an hour and a half like last season, that was a really good opener. Too soon to say who I like the chances of out of the non-returnees... maybe Rick?

I felt bad for Reem at first ...but man did she do a bad job of playing the game. Instead of figuring out a way to flip the votes or even just apologizing she just kept doubling down on being upset.
It seemed like a textbook tutorial on how NOT to play the game...
  #7  
Old 02-21-2019, 11:47 AM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Will be curious to see how many people end up voluntarily quitting... I'm thinking in the 2-4 range, I can't see many people giving up. But it's also hard to say without knowing exactly what supplies they'll get ... obviously if they don't give them food people may end up quitting, or be forced to from starvation and getting medically evacuated.
I'm wondering if it's going to be one person at a time, or if we'll end up with a dozen people there. Frankly, if it's just one person, being the first person out would be my dream. A chance to be in a survival situation, that I can leave at any time, and I don't have to deal with any other people? Sign me up.

I don't know anyone's names yet, and I won't for another few episodes (I wasn't sure which one was Wendy and which one was Reem until tribal). The only standout to me so far was the news anchor guy.
  #8  
Old 02-21-2019, 04:26 PM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,724
Not mentioned: I really like the secret advantage found on the boat. Give someone a choice of options and having a limited time to use it is a lot more interesting that a boring HII. The "steal a reward" is the most interesting. Do you use it get some brownie points with your tribe, at the expense of pissing off a bunch of people you may soon find yourself sharing a tribe with?
  #9  
Old 02-21-2019, 06:29 PM
magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Not mentioned: I really like the secret advantage found on the boat. Give someone a choice of options and having a limited time to use it is a lot more interesting that a boring HII. The "steal a reward" is the most interesting. Do you use it get some brownie points with your tribe, at the expense of pissing off a bunch of people you may soon find yourself sharing a tribe with?
Yeah, I liked that too. He seems to be in a good position so I assume he just ends up stealing a reward. It's entirely possible he never gets a chance to use it though (if he's not in danger at tribal, but his tribe also doesn't lose a reward).
  #10  
Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 PM
notfrommensa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,845
Apparently this was left on the cutting room floor. Maybe it is in a secret scene.

https://twitter.com/roundhoward/stat...88785610608641
  #11  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:13 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,880
So is Edge of Extinction just going to be another Exile Island? Secret from the rest of the players, and they'll unexpectedly just drop one of the voted off back into the tribe post-merge?
  #12  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 29,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
So is Edge of Extinction just going to be another Exile Island? Secret from the rest of the players, and they'll unexpectedly just drop one of the voted off back into the tribe post-merge?
I'm guessing kind of yes. My guess is that roughly 6-8 people will gather there and then compete for one shot to get back in.

I hope we don't cut to it too often in the episodes leading up to the "return moment". I hated exile island because it took time from a 42 minute show.
  #13  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:26 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I'm guessing kind of yes. My guess is that roughly 6-8 people will gather there and then compete for one shot to get back in.

I hope we don't cut to it too often in the episodes leading up to the "return moment". I hated exile island because it took time from a 42 minute show.
Actually, I was thinking of Redemption Island, not Exile. Exile was where someone from the tribe who lost the reward challenge got sent to Exile island, but was guaranteed to return. Redemption was where whoever was voted off at Tribal went to an island, had a competition with the current resident of Redemption, and after a bunch of those the last man standing returned to the game.
  #14  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:10 AM
motu's Avatar
motu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by magnusblitz
Decent opening episode. Too bad we didn't get an hour and a half like last season, that was a really good opener. Too soon to say who I like the chances of out of the non-returnees... maybe Rick?

I felt bad for Reem at first ...but man did she do a bad job of playing the game. Instead of figuring out a way to flip the votes or even just apologizing she just kept doubling down on being upset.


Quote:
Originally Posted by phungi View Post
It seemed like a textbook tutorial on how NOT to play the game...
In a game with Hidden Immunity Idols and Secret Advantages, moving everybody's stuff is a very bad idea, even on the first day. Only reason to touch anyone's stuff is to save it from fire or maybe high winds. Or to find their Idol or Advantage
  #15  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:23 AM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Actually, I was thinking of Redemption Island, not Exile. Exile was where someone from the tribe who lost the reward challenge got sent to Exile island, but was guaranteed to return. Redemption was where whoever was voted off at Tribal went to an island, had a competition with the current resident of Redemption, and after a bunch of those the last man standing returned to the game.
Although that wasn't a secret either. The only one where people secretly returned was Pearl Islands, and I don't think there was a special name for where they went. The audience didn't even know it was going to happen.
  #16  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:34 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Although that wasn't a secret either. The only one where people secretly returned was Pearl Islands, and I don't think there was a special name for where they went. The audience didn't even know it was going to happen.
Right, so my question is will Extinction just be a secret Redemption, or a secret Redemption where all the losers congregate and have one big challenge for one person to get back in the game, or something completely different?
  #17  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:35 AM
jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,437
In the opening sequence, while still on the boat, our new cast spotted Kelly and recognized her from 100 yards away, and got all starstruck? Seriously? If I was in an elevator with her I'd have no idea who she was, even with the aid of Wikipedia. I suppose it's possible that Survivor fans/players are operating on a whole different plane...
  #18  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:37 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
In a game with Hidden Immunity Idols and Secret Advantages, moving everybody's stuff is a very bad idea, even on the first day. Only reason to touch anyone's stuff is to save it from fire or maybe high winds. Or to find their Idol or Advantage
It's worse than that though. Reem claimed she's been watching since day 1, but she didn't realize (a) don't interrupt people at TC, especially to challenge their points, (b) be nothing but apologetic when told what you did wrong, (c) if you think you're going to be voted out, find out who else is vulnerable and vote for them, don't do a throwaway vote for someone safe. Because if she had voted for Wendy instead of Kelly, she would have forced a tie instead of losing.

But Reem strikes me as the type of person who thinks it's always better to seek forgiveness instead of permission. Who'll always "help" out whether you want them to or not, or whether it's appropriate or not, then go with the whole "Fine! Forget it! I'm just trying to be helpful" when you as them to stop.
  #19  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:41 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
In the opening sequence, while still on the boat, our new cast spotted Kelly and recognized her from 100 yards away, and got all starstruck? Seriously? If I was in an elevator with her I'd have no idea who she was, even with the aid of Wikipedia. I suppose it's possible that Survivor fans/players are operating on a whole different plane...
Well yeah, a lot of new players are superfans. And even those who aren't will watch past seasons to get tips how to play the game.

And if you're on a boat with 14 players, which is too few, and another boat comes cruising towards you with 4 people in it, it's a pretty reasonable assumption that they're also players, and possibly/probably returnees, since they almost always introduce the returnees to the new players as a group in the opening sequence. So it's not that they would have recognized Kelly in an elevator, it's that they assumed there were returnees in the boat, and Kelly was recognizable as a returnee to fans.
  #20  
Old 02-22-2019, 12:26 PM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Well yeah, a lot of new players are superfans. And even those who aren't will watch past seasons to get tips how to play the game.
I've noticed that's been a big change recently. It seems like for a while, a big chunk of the cast would be aspiring actors who had never seen the show before.
  #21  
Old 02-22-2019, 01:04 PM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,880
If you're even slightly interested in the behind-the-scenes aspects of the show, here's an excellent article by Dalton Ross detailing everything. Even if you're not interested, the pictures are very enlightening as well.
  #22  
Old 02-22-2019, 01:30 PM
Wheelz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
In the opening sequence, while still on the boat, our new cast spotted Kelly and recognized her from 100 yards away, and got all starstruck? Seriously? If I was in an elevator with her I'd have no idea who she was, even with the aid of Wikipedia. I suppose it's possible that Survivor fans/players are operating on a whole different plane...
I thought the same thing. I clearly remember the other 3 returning players, but even though Kelly has played multiple times, and I recognized the name, I have no recollection of her previous appearances.

I'm amazed that anyone who has ever seen Survivor would act the way Reem did. I only wish she were gone for good instead of having a chance to get back in. My guess for Extinction Island is that they'll put the players through a series of hellish solo challenges and place them back in the game if they make it through. If they competed against other voted-out players it would just be Redemption Island again, so why rebrand it?
  #23  
Old 02-22-2019, 03:14 PM
phungi's Avatar
phungi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: on the spinning sphere
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Apparently this was left on the cutting room floor. Maybe it is in a secret scene.
This article is a pretty good read, from Josh Wigler's Twitter feed....
  #24  
Old 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM
jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
If you're even slightly interested in the behind-the-scenes aspects of the show, here's an excellent article by Dalton Ross detailing everything. Even if you're not interested, the pictures are very enlightening as well.
Excellent, indeed - thanks for sharing.

A relevant factoid from the article - contestants have to know how to swim. When the pre-med student was flailing in the water in the throw-the-fruit-overboard opening, I was wondering "how the hell can anyone go on this show without knowing how to swim??" And it was answered: he can apparently swim well enough, but was definitely not showing it at that moment.

Given the size of the production crew it's a miracle that they never accidentally get on camera. There are 34 boats involved in the initial marooning: we only saw the 2 they want us to see.
  #25  
Old 02-22-2019, 03:22 PM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Excellent, indeed - thanks for sharing.

A relevant factoid from the article - contestants have to know how to swim. When the pre-med student was flailing in the water in the throw-the-fruit-overboard opening, I was wondering "how the hell can anyone go on this show without knowing how to swim??" And it was answered: he can apparently swim well enough, but was definitely not showing it at that moment.

Given the size of the production crew it's a miracle that they never accidentally get on camera. There are 34 boats involved in the initial marooning: we only saw the 2 they want us to see.
I'd guess the swim test is in a pool, in a bathing suit - jumping into a choppy ocean with clothes on is a very different proposition.

And I'm not sure I'd call it a miracle. I'm guessing stuff we're not supposed to see gets on camera pretty frequently, but just gets edited out.
  #26  
Old 02-22-2019, 04:42 PM
McDeath_the_Mad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Given the size of the production crew it's a miracle that they never accidentally get on camera. There are 34 boats involved in the initial marooning: we only saw the 2 they want us to see.
Yeah Survivor continually amazes me in regards to this. I've watched ever minute of every episode for 37 seasons and I can probably count on 1 hand the times you see film crews in shots. And for those times it's because something serious has happened (Skupin falling into the fire, Caleb being evacuated, etc.).

And the attention to detail for the setup of some of their camera shots is first class. Survivor is definitely the the nicest looking reality show around.

MtM
__________________
/\/\cDeath the /\/\ad
  #27  
Old 02-22-2019, 04:59 PM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
If you're even slightly interested in the behind-the-scenes aspects of the show, here's an excellent article by Dalton Ross detailing everything. Even if you're not interested, the pictures are very enlightening as well.
Most shocking thing I read there was that they've only done the "jump off a boat" opening 9 times. If you had me guess, I would've thought at least 20.
  #28  
Old 02-28-2019, 01:50 AM
magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,307
I know it makes sense to only have one combined reward/immunity challenge early on to free up air time for everyone, but, man... one challenge and it's a re-run. I can't help but feel a little cheated even if it's a decently good one with lots of parts. But I suppose after 37 seasons it's hard to come up with new ideas. :P

Victoria sure came off like a tool during that "should we look for the idol?" montage. Thankfully Lauren didn't have the same mindset.

I thought we were heading for a Wendy vs. Keith vote-out, was a little surprised when everyone decided to start targetting Wentworth. But I definitely appreciate everyone thinking about it (certainly far better than the days of Boston Rob, Cult Leader). I know if I was a rookie on the island I'd be all for voting out the returning players first.

They really went above and beyond in making me dislike Keith... first by him being useless in the challenge (in every phase too, not just the swimming, though that probably drained him) but also his reaction at being voted out and then being unable to make a decision at the end. Chances next episode begins with him choosing to exit?

Does Reem become more or less likely to stay in the game if Keith shows up at Extinction Island?

Last edited by magnusblitz; 02-28-2019 at 01:51 AM.
  #29  
Old 02-28-2019, 06:45 AM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
They really went above and beyond in making me dislike Keith... first by him being useless in the challenge (in every phase too, not just the swimming, though that probably drained him) but also his reaction at being voted out and then being unable to make a decision at the end. Chances next episode begins with him choosing to exit?
Yeah, the editors were fucking with him in the final 10 seconds of the broadcast proper. I laughed.
  #30  
Old 02-28-2019, 08:27 AM
jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Chances next episode begins with him choosing to exit?

Does Reem become more or less likely to stay in the game if Keith shows up at Extinction Island?
Why would anyone *not* choose to go to Extinction Island? They're only a week in -- nobody's facing starvation and exhaustion yet.

I'm always bemused in the Week 2 challenge when the tribes emerge and Jeff reads his standard intro: [Winner Tribe] getting their first look at the new [Loser Tribe]...Reem voted out at Tribal Council." Cut to reaction shot. 100% sure their reaction was: "which one was Reem....?"
  #31  
Old 02-28-2019, 04:25 PM
Wheelz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,506
Yeah, late in the game I anticipate there might be players who are exhausted and ready to just hang it up. But if you're one of the first few voted out? The only answer to "a chance to stay in the game" should be "Hell, yeah!!" (Not, "Dang, dang, dang, dang, dang..." )

Anyhow, I could see the arguments on both sides for voting Kelley or Keith. But I'm with magnusblitz in that I think it's in the newbies' best interest to target the returning players. And, challenge liability aside, Keith seems like a decent guy who may have been of strategic value later on.
  #32  
Old 03-01-2019, 01:29 PM
singular1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Posts: 2,859
Regarding Extinction Island -
SPOILER:
(And honestly, I did not go looking for spoilers - this was involuntary) Apparently two of the survivors choose to quit the game. I would not be surprised if Keith is one of them.


Was anybody else distracted during some woman's confessional when a GIANT TERN dive-bombed straight into the ocean in the background? I love the photography on this show!
  #33  
Old 03-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Jas09 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
I thought we were heading for a Wendy vs. Keith vote-out, was a little surprised when everyone decided to start targetting Wentworth. But I definitely appreciate everyone thinking about it (certainly far better than the days of Boston Rob, Cult Leader). I know if I was a rookie on the island I'd be all for voting out the returning players first.
Were they really targetting Kelley though? I mean, sure that's what the edit told us, but only Wendy voted for her. And Keith voted for Wendy. So pretty clearly by tribal he was being told something other than "vote for Kelley".

I'm suspicious that a bunch of the "vote for Kelley" talk was either way out of context, totally hypothetical, or perhaps even from a different portion of the game. All just to make this episode not super-boring.
  #34  
Old 03-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Wheelz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
I'm suspicious that a bunch of the "vote for Kelley" talk was either way out of context, totally hypothetical, or perhaps even from a different portion of the game. All just to make this episode not super-boring.
A season or two ago, IIRC, somebody was shown fishing, and a sharp-eyed Doper pointed out that they didn't obtain the fishing gear until a later episode. So clearly not all events are necessarily presented in chronological order. And of course they edit for maximum dramatic impact.

But I do wonder if they would go so far as to air footage of a conversation about an entirely different vote than the one in that episode? No, it wouldn't affect the outcome of the game, but that would seem... I don't know, something.
  #35  
Old 03-02-2019, 12:11 PM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
Was anybody else distracted during some woman's confessional when a GIANT TERN dive-bombed straight into the ocean in the background? I love the photography on this show!
Yes, that was excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
A season or two ago, IIRC, somebody was shown fishing, and a sharp-eyed Doper pointed out that they didn't obtain the fishing gear until a later episode. So clearly not all events are necessarily presented in chronological order. And of course they edit for maximum dramatic impact.

But I do wonder if they would go so far as to air footage of a conversation about an entirely different vote than the one in that episode? No, it wouldn't affect the outcome of the game, but that would seem... I don't know, something.
I think that was me, last season. But there was no strategy discussed during the possible out of sequence scene, just the tribe eating an octopus.
  #36  
Old 03-04-2019, 09:50 AM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Yes, that was excellent.


I think that was me, last season. But there was no strategy discussed during the possible out of sequence scene, just the tribe eating an octopus.
I think each tribe gets basic fishing gears to start these days. They just don't point it out. Notice how in the last episode the reward was "Deluxe" fishing gear.
  #37  
Old 03-07-2019, 12:40 AM
magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,307
When Jeff revealed the chickens I was thinking "they should take the pillows just because the chickens become a curse more often than not." Sure enough... Wendy gets weird about it. And in a really hypocritical way, too. If she were a vegan back home, sure, I get it, but... you decide on the island to suddenly care? Sheesh. I wonder if she'll ever get 'outed' on being the one who stole the flint.

And hey, we got both two challenges, and a new challenge to boot!

I wonder how long it took Aubry to find the HII given her rather obvious wardrobe change halfway through the search footage.

Chris really did a great job screwing himself, though of course he just blames being lied to instead of realizing that David told him DON'T TELL WARDOG and what does he do? I wonder if that's the worst self-inflicted vote-out since Tyson in Heroes vs. Villains. On the other hand, they still could've voted out Wentworth 4-3 with Chris/David/Rick/Wendy, so maybe Chris does have some valid anger. But he basically proved himself untrustworthy and paid for it.

Pretty impressive to get yourself voted out over an injured person who pissed off everyone with the chicken thing.

RE: preview for next week's ep
SPOILER:
Tribe swap was predictable, but hey, maybe going to three tribes will let me know who's on the other tribe besides Aubry and Joe

Last edited by magnusblitz; 03-07-2019 at 12:41 AM.
  #38  
Old 03-07-2019, 06:53 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,880
So did they kill the rooster or not? After all the scenes of Chris deciding he would kill the chicken, them being able to start the fire after Wendy fucked the whole tribe over, and Chris lovingly sharpening the machete, I was really hoping for some roast chicken.
  #39  
Old 03-07-2019, 07:38 AM
SykoSkotty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South 'Burbs
Posts: 1,213
My guess is the third tribe will involve those who are on "Edge of Extinction" Island.
__________________
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin sized bed and wondered where my brother was.
  #40  
Old 03-07-2019, 07:42 AM
madmonk28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,125
This season there is already a stark divisions between three Survivor types: group 1 is really playing the game and hard; group 2 think they are playing the game, but haven't a clue, the guy who got voted out last night is in this group; and group 3 are the weirdos who don't have a chance and have no idea what's going on, the game is happening to them, the two exiles and Wendy are in that group.
  #41  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:53 AM
singular1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Posts: 2,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
I wonder how long it took Aubry to find the HII given her rather obvious wardrobe change halfway through the search footage.
Are you talking about when she was wearing jeans? In the middle of the search footage they showed scenes from her looking for idols in her two previous seasons.
  #42  
Old 03-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Wheelz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
My guess is the third tribe will involve those who are on "Edge of Extinction" Island.
Maybe, but with 15 left it seems more likely they'll just do 3 tribes of 5 each - not unprecedented.

I'm still not sure what's in store for the Extinction Island inhabitants, but I'd be very surprised if they're simply plopped back into the game at any point. There has to be more to it than that.
  #43  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:34 PM
notfrommensa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,845
The problem with winning last night's reward challenge, is that probably most of the tribe that won the chickens will be swapped off that beach.
  #44  
Old 03-09-2019, 11:25 AM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
Are you talking about when she was wearing jeans? In the middle of the search footage they showed scenes from her looking for idols in her two previous seasons.

I did not catch that!
  #45  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:17 PM
singular1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Posts: 2,859
No worries - just wanted to make sure we saw the same thing!
  #46  
Old 03-12-2019, 09:57 AM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
The problem with winning last night's reward challenge, is that probably most of the tribe that won the chickens will be swapped off that beach.
Speaking of which, that advantage from the boat is no good anymore, right? It was good through the third tribal. Stealing the chickens was his last chance to use it.
  #47  
Old 03-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Rough Draft is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 262
I'm not sure what game Wendy is playing, but I don't think it's Survivor. Although she might be dumb enough to think it is.
  #48  
Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 PM
magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
Are you talking about when she was wearing jeans? In the middle of the search footage they showed scenes from her looking for idols in her two previous seasons.
No, I got that (even if SlackerInc didn't ) When she's first shown running into the jungle frantically to look for the HII, she's wearing the aqua-green top over her swimsuit. Then she's wearing a pink swimsuit top and a green-yellow skirt, and then they do the cut ins of her idol hunts from previous seasons, and then when she actually finds it now, she's wearing the pink top/green skirt again.

Looking at it closer though, I guess it's the same clothes - the pink is the swimsuit she's wearing all along, and she took off the green top and put on the skirt (which it looks like she's got draped around her shoulders when she's talking with Joe about how the returnees are in trouble).
  #49  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM
SykoSkotty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South 'Burbs
Posts: 1,213
I thought for sure the Edge of Extinction members would be the 3rd tribe last night - surprised to see they haven't had any interaction with the remaining players.
__________________
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin sized bed and wondered where my brother was.
  #50  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 AM
StarvingButStrong's Avatar
StarvingButStrong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,705
I do not get the original Blue now Green tribe.

Wendy has simply gone (always been?) nuts.

The rest of them....

Last week the Reward Challenge came down to a puzzle, they sent in Kelley and David, who failed miserably. Then they lost the IC and voted off one of their strong young guys. Okaaay.

This week the IC came down to a puzzle, so they sent in...Kelley and David? Who failed. So they go to TC and vote off ... one of their strong young guys.

Really? Are we witnessing the first tribe to deliberately commit mass suicide??
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017