Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 AM

I read Dalton Ross' recaps of Survivor and apparently David was really talking up his prowess with puzzles at the beginning of the season. He claimed that he had used a 3-d printer to make copies of all kinds of variations of puzzles used on the show so that he could practice. I bet he also bragged to his team that he was a puzzle guy.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Loved seeing the Spartan race style slip wall in the immunity challenge, where you form a human ladder to get to the top. It's a bit taller and steeper in the Spartan race, so it can't be run up.

The textbox solution is to form a ladder to the top, with the biggest guy on the bottom and second biggest at the top. Top guy holds on with both arms while the bottom "rungs" scramble up. Top guy is the last to throw his legs over.

I love those kind of team challenges, and would like to see more of them. Not entirely sure that's the direction Survivor wants to go in, though.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:00 PM

Yeah that was pretty cool. I do wonder if they tested it in dry conditions and expected it to be easier to get over, but good thinking by the contestants.

Definitely a fake-out with Rick, I was pretty certain the vote would be for Lauren (whether or not she played her HII was a different question). Why they're not voting out obviously useless + returnee David is beyond me.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Of course we still don't know what's in store for the folks on Extinction Island, but I've decided what I hope happens.

When they reach a certain number of ousted players (5, 7, 9, whatever), they bring them all to Tribal Council. Jeff chats them up about their experience on the Island, how they're all getting along, and so forth. He then announces that one of them is about to get back into the game, and they're all about to vote for the person (other than themselves) they think deserves it most. And before anybody has a chance to campaign for themselves or discuss their choice, "It's time to vote."

Everyone else goes home for good. And Reem instantly regrets being so bitchy to everybody.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post

Everyone else goes home for good. And Reem instantly regrets being so bitchy to everybody.
This is good. I like the short decision timeframe on the vote.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:12 AM

Yeah, that's good.

Speaking of Ream, what a piece of work, huh? Okay, maybe Chris shouldn't have rubbed it in about "giving the advantage away", but she really did blow it bigtime, and had only herself to blame.

I do think the Survivor producers need to ban whispering, though. Let people go off to the side, then show it or don't show it in the edit (a secret scene later would be good if they don't)...but plotting we are not privy to is not good TV.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:50 AM

Woo, double episode! Good ones too.

Firstly, that Aubry vote. Daaayum. Obviously a lot of work done by the editors to make it a blindside for the viewers (they didn't show any of the two guys talking) but still effective. I was thinking early on the episode that it sounded like Victoria was definitely out for herself and could be playing Aubry, but then the rest of the time it was all from Aubry's POV and made it sound like they were a strong pair. Only for Victoria to backstab her immediately, despite having both an HII and extra vote. Shoulda listened to your gut Aubry!

I almost wondered for a bit if Wendy deserved some extra credit too and might purposely be playing stupid (maybe even acting during the "hey lets do a girls alliance" bit?), but given how everyone switched to vote her out instead of going to rocks on the second vote makes me think she wasn't really mentally there.

Seems pretty obvious to me that there will be a challenge for the EoE people to get back in the game, only question is what happens after (all the losers out? go back to EoE?)

Wardog sucks at throwing and should feel bad that he's worse at it than a soccer player.

And yeah, Reem, I do think you're an idiot. Yeah, you're probably half-delirious from starvation but yes you did blow it.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 03-21-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 AM

Magnus, love that dense, pithy analysis. Cosigned.

I think they should start doing a series of Extinction Island TCs...the effect of adding new people each week would make it more complex and unpredictable. But they need to do two a week. Or have one be TC and the other the loser of a challenge? IDK.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Seems pretty obvious to me that there will be a challenge for the EoE people to get back in the game, only question is what happens after (all the losers out? go back to EoE?)

Wardog sucks at throwing and should feel bad that he's worse at it than a soccer player.

And yeah, Reem, I do think you're an idiot. Yeah, you're probably half-delirious from starvation but yes you did blow it.
I hope they send the losers back to EoE, and just leave them there with no ability whatsoever to get back into the game. Scatter meaningless clues to keep things interesting. One day a boat shows up and tells them "Game's over, time to go home."

Yes, Wardog is terrible in every way. He's adequate at best in challenges due to his strength, but has no coordination or other athletic abilities. If the Blue tribe had targeted him last night instead of Lauren I'm utterly convinced his own tribe would have turned on him.
And maybe it's just me, but if I was on Survivor and someone demanded I call them by some stupid title like "Wardog" or "Coach", I'd absolutely just use their full name instead.

You have to wonder what it's like with Reem's family watching the episode. She admitted on the air that she shouldn't have said "What is that?" and pointed to the box, yet when Chris made the innocent comment "You gave it to him" she totally freaked out. I honestly thought we were going to see the first actual physical assault on Survivor.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 AM

You'd think someone with a name like "Wardog" would be a teensy bit physically intimidating. To say that he throws like a girl is an insult to girls.

I don't think I've ever seen a player so happy to get voted off as Wendy, and wouldn't have been surprised if she chose Ponderosa instead of EofE. But then I wouldn't have been surprised if she took the torch and lit her hair on fire.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Is seems obvious that Wendy has genuine "challenges" rather than simply being a bit wacky as some previous competitors have been. It makes me queasy about her having been cast in the first place.

Though I suppose you could say the same about Coach or the lesser Hantz.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:07 AM

BTW, according to Dalton Ross's weekly interview with Jeff, Aubry loses the HII and extra vote advantage as a consequence of being voted out. She won't have them if she returns.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Firstly, that Aubry vote. Daaayum. Obviously a lot of work done by the editors to make it a blindside for the viewers (they didn't show any of the two guys talking) but still effective. I was thinking early on the episode that it sounded like Victoria was definitely out for herself and could be playing Aubry, but then the rest of the time it was all from Aubry's POV and made it sound like they were a strong pair. Only for Victoria to backstab her immediately, despite having both an HII and extra vote. Shoulda listened to your gut Aubry!
I loved the editing in that episode, but it wasn't a blindside. They clearly established the plan (Victoria said she'd propose an all-girl alliance to Aubrey so Aubrey would feel safe and not play her idol) and then spent the rest of the episode executing that plan to perfection. When Aubry said they were all GREAT game players, she wasn't wrong.

Victoria in particular is impossible to read, and the only time I think she's been legitimately honest is when she said in confessional "Don't trust me, I'll betray anyone."

Victoria is now my clear #1 rooting interest, by a mile.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM

I'm somewhat surprised Aubrey didn't sniff out that blindside; she's either not as savvy a player as her reputation would make one think, or the others did a fantastic job of fooling her. Probably a bit of both.

Looks like they're just going to do a physical challenge to bring someone back in from EoE. That's disappointing. I would have hoped they'd come up with something more interesting that would play on the social aspect of being stranded like that. They come up with a new twist, but then the payoff is just another challenge, like we've seen literally hundreds of times before. Seems like a missed opportunity. Unless they have something else up their sleeves, but it doesn't appear so at this point.

Agree that Wardog is useless. And his whole tribe witnessed his pathetic attepts at throwing the sandbags in the reward challenge. Then they immunity challenge has a throwing aspect, and who do they have do it?? What the...?? I also love how his excuse for not going fishing is that he's saving calories for the challenges. Sure thing, pal.
Thing is, he actually seems like a decent guy, despite his ineptitude in every aspect of Survivor. I guess a guy who calls himself "Wardog" and has a giant Brooklyn Nets tattoo can't exactly be expected to be a genius.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I loved the editing in that episode, but it wasn't a blindside.
And, yeah, I consider it a blindside, in that Aubrey thought she was safe, and had no clue she was about to be voted out. How would you define a blindside?

Last edited by Wheelz; 03-21-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
And, yeah, I consider it a blindside, in that Aubrey thought she was safe, and had no clue she was about to be voted out. How would you define a blindside?
Yep, it was clearly a blindside for Aubry.

I was saying it wasn't a blindside for the viewers. They didn't try to fake us out, but instead showed Victoria come up with an idea, do the idea, and have it work.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:50 PM

If Aubry does make it back in the game, I guess she could claim its a HII.

Reem is a piece of work.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I loved the editing in that episode, but it wasn't a blindside. They clearly established the plan (Victoria said she'd propose an all-girl alliance to Aubrey so Aubrey would feel safe and not play her idol) and then spent the rest of the episode executing that plan to perfection.
Ah, I must've missed that early on, sorry.

I agree that Victoria really impressed and seems to be playing the quiet behind-the-scenes plotter role excellently.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 PM

I agree that the proper definition of a blindside is when the player who goes out is completely fooled and has no idea it's coming. Whether the audience knows it's coming has no bearing on it.

Quote:
I agree that Victoria really impressed and seems to be playing the quiet behind-the-scenes plotter role excellently.

I wonder why they didn't show her more on past episodes--but I guess when they weren't going to TC there wasn't much plotting to show. She snowed Aubry but good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Is seems obvious that Wendy has genuine "challenges" rather than simply being a bit wacky as some previous competitors have been. It makes me queasy about her having been cast in the first place.

It "seems obvious" because she told us in the season premiere about her Tourettes, you mean? Personally, I think it's good that they cast people with disabilities. She's clearly competent to make her own decisions, even if she's not neurotypical.

Quote:
I guess a guy who calls himself "Wardog" and has a giant Brooklyn Nets tattoo can't exactly be expected to be a genius.

That's an interesting take. I had a very different impression: that he is quite intelligent. He's played poker professionally, is extremely adept with numbers, and is in law school.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 AM

Yeah it's hard to show much for the tribes that don't go to tribal. I'm still not sure I could name any of the remaining yellow tribe members besides Joe.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
That's an interesting take. I had a very different impression: that he is quite intelligent. He's played poker professionally, is extremely adept with numbers, and is in law school.
Perhaps I was being too flippant. But it is possible to be intelligent in some ways while being a chucklehead in others.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:43 PM

For sure.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I agree that the proper definition of a blindside is when the player who goes out is completely fooled and has no idea it's coming. Whether the audience knows it's coming has no bearing on it.
I agree in general.

The original comment I was responding to was that (paraphrased) "the editors did a great job crafting that into a blindside for us viewers." I disagreed, saying the editors played it totally straight, showing us Victoria come up with the plan, execute the plan, and succeed.

As in, "not a blindside for us viewers." Make sense?
Old 03-25-2019, 01:45 AM

If that was how the comment was phrased, then yes: I see what you mean.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I hope they send the losers back to EoE, and just leave them there with no ability whatsoever to get back into the game. Scatter meaningless clues to keep things interesting. One day a boat shows up and tells them "Game's over, time to go home."
Omigoodness, I laughed hard at this.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:52 PM

I feel like at least three of the players who got "speaking roles" tonight were people I didn't even realize were in the game.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I feel like at least three of the players who got "speaking roles" tonight were people I didn't even realize were in the game.
Yup, during the challenge I said "I didn't realize we had both a Julie and a Julia..."

Also, when did everyone start calling Rick "Devins"? That certainly felt like it came outta nowhere.

Was a bit surprised to see Wendy exit the game. Not so surprised by Keith, who is useless (kinda think Reem should too, but she's probably too cantankerous to give up).
Old 03-28-2019, 07:31 AM

I wish we saw Keith and Wendy build up to raising the flag a bit more.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:17 AM

I wasn't paying full attention. Did Jeff say the last three Exile Islanders are in the jury? Also that another of the Exile tribe could still win their way back?

Man, they are really desperate to keep their Returnees/Stars/Favorite in the show as long as possible.

How have the Returnees in other mixed seasons done, anyway?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I wish we saw Keith and Wendy build up to raising the flag a bit more.
Yeah, they edited that sequence very strangely. it was "Wait, what?"/Rewind at our house.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
How have the Returnees in other mixed seasons done, anyway?
Looking back at the ones where there were only a few returnees...

Guatemala (S11): Bobby Jon was first jury member, Stephenie was 2nd place
Redemption Island (S22): Russell Hantz got voted out third (with his own tribe purposely losing a challenge to vote him out!), Boston Rob won
South Pacific (S23): Ozzy was voted out 7th, returned, immediately voted out again, returned and then was voted out right before the FTC; Coach was 2nd place
Philippines (S25): Russell Swan voted out 4th, Penner made jury, Skupin tied for 2nd place

So they actually tend to do fairly well - and in every season one has at least made it to the final Tribal Council.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the stats, Magnusblitz.

I'm not sure how to think of it. Clearly the show's producers bring back people they think will attract more viewers for ratings purposes, which is understandable, but it still seems to unbalance the field. You don't let professionals compete in most amateur sports, after all.

But in Survivor, the players have control of who leaves the game, after all, and can simply gang up and toss them out. Which is pretty much what happened in this vote, with 11 out of 13 votes going to returnees. Might be interesting next TC, since Kelley has a HI and David might end up getting the use of one. Could have another case of someone being voted out by a single vote if none of the rest 'count.'
Old 03-28-2019, 03:28 PM

You know it's a bad season when you still don't know who half the players are, this far into the game.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Yeah, they edited that sequence very strangely. it was "Wait, what?"/Rewind at our house.

I was watching via antenna, live—so I was just like “wait, what?” I did go back and watch that part online later. Almost like they caught the camera operators napping?

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-29-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:56 AM

On one hand, it was a good idea to git rid of Joe when he didn't have immunity. And assuming there will be another challenge to get back in, you want him wasting away on Extinction for as long as possible.

On the other hand, I think the Kama 6 played their hand one tribal too early. If they were smart, Kelly, Lauren, Rick, David, Wardog, and Aurora (who?) would work together against them. But I fear it will turn into them all going "I don't care who gets voted out as long as it's not me."
Old 03-29-2019, 10:07 AM

The way Wendy and Keith walked to the sail and hoisted it together looked too composed to me. Like they'd originally just done it without the cameras there or something went wrong, so they reenacted it for the show.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
On one hand, it was a good idea to git rid of Joe when he didn't have immunity. And assuming there will be another challenge to get back in, you want him wasting away on Extinction for as long as possible.

On the other hand, I think the Kama 6 played their hand one tribal too early. If they were smart, Kelly, Lauren, Rick, David, Wardog, and Aurora (who?) would work together against them. But I fear it will turn into them all going "I don't care who gets voted out as long as it's not me."
Joe is also on Extinction Island, charming the heck of all of the potential jurors. Probably providing fish.

He has got to be the favorite to re-enter the game and if he can earn immunity to the final four, I think he wins. The fact that he was on Edge of Extinction island is not a disadvantage because most of the jury is going to eventually be on the EoE. They are not going to hold that against him.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Exactly. And this presents the major flaw with EI, at least as it applies to Joe. It's more like he's getting immunity for the next few weeks until they decide to let someone back in -- odds are it will be Joe.

The producers couldn't have planned it any better!
Old 03-30-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Fingers View Post
You know it's a bad season when you still don't know who half the players are, this far into the game.
I think to a certain extent it's unavoidable... EoE eats up time, and when only one tribe is repeatedly sent to tribal it's hard to spend time on the other teams since you want to know what's going into the votes. Some of the players were getting their torches at the merge vote!

Quote:

My initial thought was to like the move because I think that if I were a new player, I'd be voting out the returnees at the earliest opportunity. But thinking about it more I agree that I think the Kama 6 did it too early. They possibly weakened themselves in numbers too early, and did so in a way that lets everyone know they're not going to be part of their group. Also, Joe's good at immunities but he won't win them all.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Wardog actually sucks at everything, he has done poorly at pretty much all contests. All hat and no cattle.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Same here. I had to go back just to process the fact that two of them left.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Fingers View Post
It's because no one really leaves the show, as a result they have to split their time among the tribes and EoE island. You end up getting to know the losers better than the people playing the game.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
It's because no one really leaves the show, as a result they have to split their time among the tribes and EoE island. You end up getting to know the losers better than the people playing the game.
And usually the first people voted off are not people you really want to see. One episode of Reem was one episode too many.

ETA: And the other problem is that when you have returning players, they suck up all the attention. All the confessionals are either them talking or other people talking about them.

Last edited by enalzi; 04-01-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
And usually the first people voted off are not people you really want to see. One episode of Reem was one episode too many.

ETA: And the other problem is that when you have returning players, they suck up all the attention. All the confessionals are either them talking or other people talking about them.
That's true on the returning players, combine that with the island of misfit toys and it's not surprising that we don't know half the players yet. I think they clearly included EoE because it meant that returning players like Capt. Jack Sparrow, I mean Ozzie retread, I mean Joe can stay on camera even when they've been voted off.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I was so disappointed when Jeff announced that Edge of Extinction was going to happen again. I thought the merge re-entry was about the perfect spot to stop.

:rolls eyes:
Old 04-01-2019, 12:46 PM

I'm a bit confused about the whole jury thing. Will the Final TC jury actually consist of the entire cast (minus Keith, Wendy, and anyone else who raises the sail)? That's just too many people, and the early ejectees have no idea how anybody is playing the game, so they really have no business voting for a winner.

Plus, it strips away the achievement of "making the jury," which may be something of a consolation prize, but is still something that players can shoot for.

I get that they need to keep players on their toes and keep viewers interested, but I'm not on board with this change if everybody stays to the end.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:12 PM

I don't know of anybody who thinks that the first person voted out should be a juror (for several reasons), but that could be what happens. The bright side of that would be watching Reem questioning the jury. Can you imagine the contempt on both sides?

Overall, I think the EOE gimmick could turn out to be one of the show's worst, right up there with Redemption Island.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Reem would be a nightmare to live with, but for a few minutes a week, I find her amusing. You aren't entertained by her at all? "C'mon, dude! Lame."
Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Reem is a candidate for my idea for a Survivor season: Goat Island! It's a season of returning players and all of them are goats. Secret Agent? Philip, Reem, Coach, that one annoying guy, and oh yeah I forgot about that nutcase, all compete for the $1m dollar prize.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Reem is a candidate for my idea for a Survivor season: Goat Island! It's a season of returning players and all of them are goats. Secret Agent? Philip, Reem, Coach, that one annoying guy, and oh yeah I forgot about that nutcase, all compete for the $1m dollar prize.
I think there are enough players that you could have a season just of people who got to the Final Tribal and didn't get any votes.