Old 04-03-2019, 11:30 AM

If you're at final tribal and you don't know who the goat is, it's you*.

*Unless Philip is also in the final. If he's there, Philip is the goat.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Reem is a candidate for my idea for a Survivor season: Goat Island! It's a season of returning players and all of them are goats. Secret Agent? Philip, Reem, Coach, that one annoying guy, and oh yeah I forgot about that nutcase, all compete for the $1m dollar prize.

I love this idea! You would need to cloak the true nature of the season in slightly less insulting language to get anyone to play, though, I'd think.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I love this idea! You would need to cloak the true nature of the season in slightly less insulting language to get anyone to play, though, I'd think.
I'm just imagining guys like Coach and Phil showing up, seeing who else is there, and thinking "Finally, a real All Stars season."

Last edited by enalzi; 04-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:11 AM

I'm really glad the bozos not in the Kama group wised up (with a large bit of help from the Kamas fracturing, of course). Considering that the last vote left Aurora in the dark, the Kamas had effectively created a setup between their core six, Aurora, David/Rick, and Wentworth/Lauren/Wardog, which is 6-3-2-1 or 6-6 if Aurora comes to her senses and everyone else learns how to count. But Rick decided to start playing emotional and tried to blow that up. I wanted to make a joke here about Rick playing so badly I agreed with Wardog, but I think Wardog is actually playing very well strategically (he certainly helped wake up Julia and instigate the Kama blindside).

It'll be interesting to see if previously invisible people like Gavin and Julia start getting air time or if this was their one big shot. Even though she went along with it in the end, I agreed with Victoria's reasoning, I think it was too early to be blindsiding their own. If they were worried about an Eric/Ron + David/Rick alliance (the latter of which broke on its own) they could've waited until they whittled down the others a bit and would only need Aurora and Wardog to carry through.

I absolutely loved that David/Rick conversation. David has some guts in saying that he's basically just going to keep his half of the HII so Rick can't use it.

Glad Lauren's ok... I was worried for a bit when she dropped that she might've hit her head and really been screwed up. Had to laugh at her "dammit!" when she woke up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I'm a bit confused about the whole jury thing. Will the Final TC jury actually consist of the entire cast (minus Keith, Wendy, and anyone else who raises the sail)? That's just too many people, and the early ejectees have no idea how anybody is playing the game, so they really have no business voting for a winner.
It's not 100% clear but that's what the pre-season rumors were... that everyone still on EoE at the end of the game is on the jury, which could result in a 15 person jury. Thankfully there have been at least two quitters so far, and they do get to have at least some insight since they get to sit in on TC. Guess it's good they don't let everyone have a guaranteed question at FTC now...

Last edited by magnusblitz; 04-04-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:47 AM

That was a classic top dog at the merge gets promptly blindsided. People never seem to realise that being visibly 'in control' at the merge makes you a prime target. I do wonder why Eric and not Ron though.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
That was a classic top dog at the merge gets promptly blindsided. People never seem to realise that being visibly 'in control' at the merge makes you a prime target. I do wonder why Eric and not Ron though.
Challenges I presume. Eric might win one or two - Ron has been hopeless. I also wonder if there were any discussions of "send Eric so he can keep Joe from coming back off Extinction".

I was a bit surprised they didn't show any of the conversations between the Kama folks and Kelly/Lauren. Obviously they happened or there is 0% chance those two don't play their idols. It would have been nice to know if Julia or Gavin talked directly to them or it all went through Wardog. I'm the kind of nervous person that probably would have played the idols anyway, but clearly Kelly is playing to win and knows she will need that idol later to have a chance.

I also think Victoria probably had a point in saving the blindside for later. If you really think you have Ron/Eric/Julie/Rick isolated a foursome, then you have at least one safe vote and keeping them calm is better than rocking the boat immediately (particularly for Victoria who's name hasn't come up at all as a target from what we've seen).

What keeps the Lesu group from flipping back and forth now until Wardog/Kelly/Lauren/David are a majority? Especially when you consider they have 2 idols (and possibly a 3rd if they pull Rick back in and unit that idol).
Old 04-04-2019, 07:05 PM

Setting aside any questions about whether blindsiding Eric was the best thing to do at that particular point - as a viewer, that was an extremely satisfying vote. Ron was so sure he had everything under control, and the look on his face when he realized he didn’t was priceless.

As to why Eric and not Ron, I agree with Jas09 that Eric was more of a challenge threat. And I also think he may have been able to adapt his game going forward, and I doubt Ron will. He acted like a jackass and doesn’t have many friends left. Keeping him in the game may actually be a worse fate than voting him out.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 PM

That tribal was insane. Can someone remind me, what was Julia’s plan before it all blew up?
Old 04-10-2019, 09:56 PM

I’m very confused. I would love to see some kind of animated graphic showing the evolution of plans.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:24 AM

That was a pretty good TC, well worth spending all the time on. Would be curious to know what the original plans were and why everyone except Aurora turned on her. For example, were Gavin and Victoria ready to jump ship because she spilled the beans, or just because they saw how the winds were blowing?

Too bad the IC was a bummer. I'm getting really tired of every immunity post-merge being some sort of balance/endurance challenge.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:12 AM

I don't mind the balance challenges. I'd love to try this one myself (I wonder who invented it). I think, but can't be sure without trying it out, that it's a mistake to try to balance the ball in the middle, where it has downslopes on each side. I think it's better to balance it near (but not too near) one end.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:56 AM

What a fun tribal. I'm really enjoying this season, and was bummed to see in TV Guide that it's down 3 million viewers compared to last season. Not great.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:02 AM

When the TC turns into a free-for-all sequence of huddles, I wonder how the producers manage the debate and call a vote. Is it Roberts Rules of Order? Does somebody make a motion to close debate?

I'm bored with balance/endurance challenges. I know that there are other ways of doing individual immunity....right? It's been so long....
Old 04-11-2019, 11:53 AM

I thought it was hilarious when Gavin was complaining that his alliance mates wouldn't agree with his plan to vote out David, and described it as a "dictatorship". No Gavin, when 3 members of a 4 person group get their way and the 4th doesn't, that's a pretty classic example of "democracy".
Old 04-11-2019, 01:26 PM

I certainly don't recall every word that was said at that Tribal, but it seemed to me the catalyst for all the chaos was Aurora running her mouth. (I don't even remember exactly what she said, but I remember thinking, "Aurora needs to keep her mouth shut.") I thought she might end up as the target, but Julia was probably a bigger ultimate threat and thus the smarter choice.

People say way too much at TC all the time. My strategy would be to volunteer absolutely nothing, keep my facial reactions to a minimum, and give vague, evasive answers to any direct questions Jeff asks me.

Of course, after I've been sleep- and food-deprived for several weeks, I'll ley you know how that plan goes.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Yeah, it looks like Julia's plan was to take out either David or Kelley, but everyone seemed to sense that something was afoot and on edge. Then Aurora and Julia both said to much, making it clear that there was a plan that not everyone was aware of and then all hell broke loose. As Dalton Ross pointed out, no one seemed to be targeting Julia until tribal, when she managed to put the target on herself with her "Aurora, you're spilling the beans" comment.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
What a fun tribal. I'm really enjoying this season, and was bummed to see in TV Guide that it's down 3 million viewers compared to last season. Not great.
Not sure how the numbers work but the ones cited on Wikipedia (TV by the numbers?) has this season in the 7 million range, which is about the same as last season. There's been a slow steady decline in the finale viewer numbers but nothing worrisome yet, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I'm bored with balance/endurance challenges. I know that there are other ways of doing individual immunity....right? It's been so long....
Thinking about it more, I do think they tend to do these sorts of challenges because they're easy to setup with so many people remaining in the game. Having 12 people do an obstacle course would probably be pretty difficult for Jeff to narrate, for example. But having them all stand in place and hold something is pretty easy to design, shoot and edit. Though I'm still waiting for a scenario where the last two people drop simultaneously and they need to go to Survivor instant replay.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Not sure how the numbers work but the ones cited on Wikipedia (TV by the numbers?) has this season in the 7 million range, which is about the same as last season. There's been a slow steady decline in the finale viewer numbers but nothing worrisome yet, I think.
Yeah, my mistake, I badly misremembered. Here's what it actually says:
Survivor 7.5
The tribe has spoken! Four episodes in, "Edge of Extinction" is pulling a season average 7.4 million fans, 1 million fewer viewers that at the same point in last spring's "Ghost Island" installment.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I’m very confused. I would love to see some kind of animated graphic showing the evolution of plans.
Not quite what you are looking for, but Dalton Ross' weekly recap hits on some of the major catalysts
Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Thanks.

Quote:
People say way too much at TC all the time. My strategy would be to volunteer absolutely nothing, keep my facial reactions to a minimum, and give vague, evasive answers to any direct questions Jeff asks me.

Of course, after I've been sleep- and food-deprived for several weeks, I'll ley you know how that plan goes.

Some contestants are great at this. It’s a very important skill, I agree with you. But Probst and the rest of production hates it, so they probably try to cast people with irrepressible personalities to make it less likely they won’t get anything juicy at TC.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 04-12-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 PM

Two quick questions:

1. What on earth would compel someone to wear a freaking necktie on Survivor?

2. Do they all really take dumps in the water*?

mmm

*I guess I can see how it makes some sense, but then they swim, fish, and lounge around in it?
Old 04-13-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
I certainly don't recall every word that was said at that Tribal, but it seemed to me the catalyst for all the chaos was Aurora running her mouth. (I don't even remember exactly what she said, but I remember thinking, "Aurora needs to keep her mouth shut.") I thought she might end up as the target, but Julia was probably a bigger ultimate threat and thus the smarter choice.

Answering Jeff's questions is part of the game at tribal council. There are large parts of Tribal Council that don't make it on air, and I don't think it's an option to stay silent or not answer questions. The key is giving enough entertaining answers to keep Jeff and the production happy without screwing yourself over or giving up your plans. Some players are much better at this than others.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:56 AM

Wheelz did say “vague, evasive answers”, so I don’t see much actual disagreement there. Production/Probst can’t force you to say something that will make you give up a secret or get you in hot water.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Agree it is was a strange episode. They went to tribal council 30 minutes into the episode, and I thought it was going to be a vote out, and the EoE players were going to do a fire challenge to see who gets back into the game because there was so much time.

Re: Ball Balance on the Bow. I do think the radius of the bow is greater (not as steep) on the edges vs the middle so that would make easier to keep from rolling, but closer to the end of the bows would be riskier.

I think production sets up areas for "aqua-dumps" that are far from the swimming areas and fishing areas, but there are a lot of animals excreting their wastes in the sea all over.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Wheelz did say “vague, evasive answers”, so I don’t see much actual disagreement there. Production/Probst can’t force you to say something that will make you give up a secret or get you in hot water.
Giving boring answers is a great way to not get any screen time and to not be invited back as a returning player.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Two quick questions:

mmm

*I guess I can see how it makes some sense, but then they swim, fish, and lounge around in it?
When they land on Survivor, their clothes are chosen by the show to give an impression of what they would wear normally. They don't get to choose their own outfits - otherwise they'd be wearing much more sensible clothes.

Yes. Its been a subject of questions on podcasts. They poop in the water because its immediate clean-up possibilities, and they can clean their hands without having to go to the water to clean it up.

And remember - Fish don't get out of the water to poop. There's plenty of poop in there already.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:36 PM

I wonder why they chose to shoe horn two eliminations in one episode at this point?

And, with all the Returnees now on EoE, are they going to end it and admit one last person back into the game?

(I'd say kudos to War Dog for ousting the last two, except I think he just made it super-obvious who is running the show. So unless the returnee next week is Joe (or maybe Kelley) he'll be the obvious out.)
Old 04-18-2019, 01:10 AM

Yeah, I don't think some of the stuff Wardog said at Tribal was the savviest. Although it could be said to build a case for the jury. It's a balancing act for sure.

I would prefer if they just had one TC per episode; but I think CBS requires that they have a certain number of episodes scheduled--and they purposely make that fewer than it would take to run it all out, to allow some slack in case people quit. This is where it would be better if it could somehow have elimination episodes be live like "Big Brother" (a show, just FTR, I watched for its first three or four seasons but have not watched since).
Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 AM

I've never tried to keep up with alliances and scheming -- I just zone out during the whispered conversations of who's trying to flip who. This probably makes me a shallow person...so be it. I watch the show for the challenges and the personality conflicts around camp and searching for HII and other weird, fun and interesting moments.

So this was the most boring episode in show history. Two endurance/balance challenges and alliance maneuvering. Literally, nothing else happened. Oh, wait ... on Extinction Island (which was a terrible idea) we see someone find a clue that was cleverly hidden in plain sight.

Last edited by jsc1953; 04-18-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 AM

Perhaps Wardog finds a way to make this work, but I'm pretty suspicious of his move against Wentworth. It seems to me that now he has absolutely nobody willing to protect him, and no idol. Now perhaps Wentworth would have made a move for him in the next episode, but I don't see why Victoria, Rick, Ron, and Aurora would have any real loyalty towards him. I could very easily see them pull in Lauren (or even Gavin) and vote out Wardog immediately.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 AM

The fact that no one really leaves the show really has killed the pacing. Episodes are rushed because they have to spend a chunk of time on loser island showing them being bitter each episode.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:51 AM

I'm surprised Kelly spilled the beans about her and Lauren's hidden idol as soon as she got to Extinction. She has no idea who will go back into the game or when.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:08 PM

Every season seems to have a player who should be a total no-brainer, neon-sign-over-their-head choice for everybody else to vote out, yet somehow they never do. This season it's Wardog. I'd say he's the odds-on favorite for the million at this point.

I was quite surprised nobody told Kelley about Wardog's plan. I think that would have been a smart move for Victoria or Ron or Aurora (especially Aurora). They could have made an ally of Wentworth, gotten rid of a huge threat, and basically blown up the current social hierarchy. Now they're just right back to being on the bottom.

Also surprised Kelley didn't play her idol. I guess even experienced players can't always sniff out when something is awry.

Last edited by Wheelz; 04-18-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
The fact that no one really leaves the show really has killed the pacing. Episodes are rushed because they have to spend a chunk of time on loser island showing them being bitter each episode.

And a couple of people (contestants) have commented about the EoE players being bitter and complaining. Oh boo-hoo. Chose to play, chose to go EoE and can leave if they want, any time they want.

Last edited by Lare; 04-19-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post

Thinking about it more, I do think they tend to do these sorts of challenges because they're easy to setup with so many people remaining in the game. Having 12 people do an obstacle course would probably be pretty difficult for Jeff to narrate, for example. But having them all stand in place and hold something is pretty easy to design, shoot and edit....
Thing is, endurance challenges are the most fair, keeps the strong males from winning them all.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Two quick questions:

mmm

I suppose you never camped on a beach without a bathroom, eh? Yeah, dumping in the water works great. You dont need toilet paper, cleans you right up.

Now, if a LOT of people do it, it causes nasty stuff, the the ocean is quite capable of absorbing and cleaning up a normal amount of land animal feces- after all, otter poop in the water, whales shit in the sea, and just about all land animals (except some humans) crap where it will run off into the ocean. Now, when you have great masses of humans living close together, that crap has to be cleaned up first. But until quite recently sewers drained right into the ocean, with no treatment.

And some amount of feces is fine, it's ocean fertilizer. It's when there's too much for the ocean plankton to handle quickly or when it dumps too much nutrients in a small area- then it causes problems.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

One more thing- Rick Devens got four balls into dimples before anyone else did, so that advantage did not necessarily give him the win.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:43 AM

Nm/dup

Last edited by Lare; 04-20-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:45 AM

But when he got four, he was done. Anyone else would still have one more to go.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:24 PM

A couple people had 3 when he got his 4th. If they'd been given the advantage instead of him, I'm not sure he could have pulled it out. He struggled mightily with the 4th ball.

If there were no advantage at all, I think you'd have to bet on him despite his shaky finish.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 04-20-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A couple people had 3 when he got his 4th. If they'd been given the advantage instead of him, I'm not sure he could have pulled it out. He struggled mightily with the 4th ball.

If there were no advantage at all, I think you'd have to bet on him despite his shaky finish.

Yeha, it certainly could have given him the win, but he was doing well without it.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone heard the rumor of the next season(or maybe the next next season)?

I'll spoiler even though it is unconfirmed:

SPOILER:
A season made up entirely of previous winners.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Thing is, endurance challenges are the most fair, keeps the strong males from winning them all.
It really depends on the challenge. Some, like the one they just did holding up the pot of water with the parallel bars on their shoulders, do seem pretty fair to me. But then you've got ones where they have to balance on their toes or some other small platform, and I think those actually hurt the larger players (usually male) and are slanted towards smaller players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post

SPOILER:
SPOILER:
Yup, that's the rumor for S40. Probst had previously said they wouldn't do it because they "have 10 great winners that you’d want to see play again. We don’t have 20. We don’t have 18. Some of the winners don’t want to play again. Some of the greats are like, ‘No, we’re done.’"

Personally, while I'd obviously rather have more interesting winners, I'd rather have an all-winners season even if you need to pull in the forgettable ones.

Could still be possible we'll see something like a Winners vs. Legends season or something. Still keeping my fingers crossed for all-winners.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelq View Post
When they land on Survivor, their clothes are chosen by the show to give an impression of what they would wear normally. They don't get to choose their own outfits - otherwise they'd be wearing much more sensible clothes.
I've never heard that. Where did you see or hear that?

Quote:
Yep, same as Exile Island, but I guess not as bad. I still prefer the "voted out, stays out" version of the game.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:22 AM

It’s true about the producers picking players’ clothes. Which is incredibly unfair to women.

Quote:

SPOILER:

SPOILER:
I would love this! I want to see Michele Fitzgerald again. She might be my favorite winner; she is definitely the most underrated.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've never heard that. Where did you see or hear that?

Yep, same as Exile Island, but I guess not as bad. I still prefer the "voted out, stays out" version of the game.

I had heard they grab them after a photo shoot or something, and whatever they are dressing in then- they wear. Except they have to go pick one item in whatever color they want the two teams to have. Or that item is picked for them.

But yeah, I'd be wearing convertible pants/shorts made with bug repellent , a Smartwool Tshirt, a shirt with bug repellent, a wool sweater and a light gortex jacket.

Yeah, me too, but as long as they dont do this very often, I am Ok with it.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
Perhaps Wardog finds a way to make this work, but I'm pretty suspicious of his move against Wentworth. It seems to me that now he has absolutely nobody willing to protect him, and no idol. Now perhaps Wentworth would have made a move for him in the next episode, but I don't see why Victoria, Rick, Ron, and Aurora would have any real loyalty towards him. I could very easily see them pull in Lauren (or even Gavin) and vote out Wardog immediately.
And so it comes to pass.

Why Wardog only now realized that he needs other "threats" to protect him, after voting out multiple other threats back-to-back, will remain befuddling. It's like he was looking ahead to a final-5 vote when he was scared Wentworth would turn on him and then realized he had no path to get there once she was gone.

Wentworth hamming it up at tribal was pretty lame. "Revenge for me" my ass.

And yet another wasted segment on EoE island. I'm pretty comfortable saying this is one of the top-3 bad ideas this show has had now.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 AM

I don't overly hate it, but yeah, even the most charitable review of the EoE twist would include words like "pointless" and "waste of time." And as pointed out, it kind of messes with the dynamic of the show when nobody ever leaves. So agreed; top 3 bad Survivor twist, easily.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I don't overly hate it, but yeah, even the most charitable review of the EoE twist would include words like "pointless" and "waste of time." And as pointed out, it kind of messes with the dynamic of the show when nobody ever leaves. So agreed; top 3 bad Survivor twist, easily.
I'm so tired of Reem. You got voted out first by almost your entire tribe. Suck it up.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Every season seems to have a player who should be a total no-brainer, neon-sign-over-their-head choice for everybody else to vote out, yet somehow they never do. This season it's Wardog. I'd say he's the odds-on favorite for the million at this point.
I stand corrected. I guess he overplayed his hand one too many times. Kudos to Wardog, though, for going out with some class and a bit of humor.

I'm not even sure whom I want to root for at this point. Probably Devens, but I'm conflicted because he wouldn't even be in the game if not for the Loser Island thing, which is terrible. The couple of players I like (Lauren, Julie, sorta Gavin), haven't done anything to warrant winning. Ron has played the hardest, and probably has played the best strategic game, but I just don't like the guy. I suppose I won't be too mad if he wins; he will have earned it. But yeah, I'm kind of 'meh' on this whole group from here on out.