Old 04-25-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I stand corrected. I guess he overplayed his hand one too many times. Kudos to Wardog, though, for going out with some class and a bit of humor.

I'm not even sure whom I want to root for at this point. Probably Devens, but I'm conflicted because he wouldn't even be in the game if not for the Loser Island thing, which is terrible. The couple of players I like (Lauren, Julie, sorta Gavin), haven't done anything to warrant winning. Ron has played the hardest, and probably has played the best strategic game, but I just don't like the guy. I suppose I won't be too mad if he wins; he will have earned it. But yeah, I'm kind of 'meh' on this whole group from here on out.
I agree almost completely with this, except I'd give Lauren the edge for second choice just because she's so... magnificent. I know it's a shallow criteria for choosing favorites, but what else is there this season?

Oh, and regarding Extinction Island, I'd be happy if Joe or Aubry came back and won it all.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
Oh, and regarding Extinction Island, I'd be happy if Joe or Aubry came back and won it all.
Yeah, I keep forgetting that's still on the table. Hell, if Reem wins her way back in and ends up winning it all because the jury wants to stick it to everyone else, I'll think "Serves them right for coming up with this ridiculous format."
Old 04-25-2019, 06:44 PM

I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread, but Ron Clark is the subject of this TV Movie. Matthew Perry starred in the movie as Ron Clark.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473389...f_=tt_ov_st_sm
Old 04-25-2019, 10:40 PM

People kept saying all week that Wardog blew up his own spot on the last episode, and that sure looks to have been correct.

Quote:
Hell, if Reem wins her way back in and ends up winning it all because the jury wants to stick it to everyone else, I'll think "Serves them right for coming up with this ridiculous format."

OMG, that would be hilarious. I don't hate the idea of giving people a second chance as much as most fans seem to, in part because I like Rick so much. But it should be within a reasonably short period of time as it was for him. For someone like Reem to come back makes no sense.

BTW, did you see how dark she is getting? No wonder she warned Kelly about the sun.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread, but Ron Clark is the subject of this TV Movie. Matthew Perry starred in the movie as Ron Clark.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473389...f_=tt_ov_st_sm
Wow. Kudos to you, Ron Clark. You really have my admiration.

You didn't have to blindside Joe, though.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:08 AM

Didn’t he, though? And was it really a blindside? I tweeted as soon as Joe lost the immunity challenge that they would be crazy not to take the opportunity to get him out.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how the Edge players will get back in? I mean, they're all on the jury now, so they have a good idea as to what is going on in the game, but how will that play into one (just one?) of them returning?

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but has anyone else noticed that during TC, when Jeff says, "we'll now bring in the members of our jury" he DOESN'T mention each jury members' name? Is this because they're not "true" members of the jury yet?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts as to how the Edge players will get back in? I mean, they're all on the jury now, so they have a good idea as to what is going on in the game, but how will that play into one (just one?) of them returning?
I'm praying that the final twist of EoE is that they don't actually have another chance to get back into the game. That they're just making them sit there starving & devoloping more intense body odor instead of sipping mai tais by the pool at a fancy resort.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I'm praying that the final twist of EoE is that they don't actually have another chance to get back into the game. That they're just making them sit there starving & devoloping more intense body odor instead of sipping mai tais by the pool at a fancy resort.
Yeah. The whole EoE concept probably started as a way to cut costs at Ponderosa.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
It's another challenge right? Aubry got an advantage to practice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Yeah. The whole EoE concept probably started as a way to cut costs at Ponderosa.
I have to imagine keeping a crew out on Extinction is more expensive then Ponderosa.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I have to imagine keeping a crew out on Extinction is more expensive then Ponderosa.
My thoughts exactly. Also, the expense of keeping a few jurors at Ponderosa has to be such a tiny portion of the overall production budget that eliminating it doesn't even remotely justify altering the whole show format.

Last edited by Rough Draft; 04-26-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-26-2019, 10:31 AM

I guess I forgot to load up my budget-cutting theory with winkies and smilies.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but has anyone else noticed that during TC, when Jeff says, "we'll now bring in the members of our jury" he DOESN'T mention each jury members' name? Is this because they're not "true" members of the jury yet?
I've noticed that as well. Probst has talked about the importance of ritual in the game, explaining why he always says the same things in the same way at challenges and Tribal Councils. You have to figure there's some significance to this change.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I've noticed that as well. Probst has talked about the importance of ritual in the game, explaining why he always says the same things in the same way at challenges and Tribal Councils. You have to figure there's some significance to this change.
At this point, you can only accurately describe these people as potential jurors. Any of them could decide to hoist sail and leave the show; conversely, they could - one presumes - win a challenge and be back in the game.

But that doesn't explain why they're not being named, though.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:49 PM

I wonder if the next Extinction Island challenge will actually kick some people out as well as letting someone back in. The herd must be culled and the producers must know most of those people will never hoist the surrender flag.

Or maybe I'm off and they actually want to try a big jury.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-26-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
They have trimmed things for time though, like the open credits. MAybe they figured it would take too long for Jeff to read every single name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post

Or maybe I'm off and they actually want to try a big jury.
Now that they've moved to the group chat format, jury size doesn't really matter.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:14 PM

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the next (and final) challenge to see who wins their way back into the game will happen on finale night, I assume in the first hour.

Googling around, the finale will be May 15th, so three more weeks.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:55 PM

What? Why is that pretty clear?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Now that they've moved to the group chat format, jury size doesn't really matter.
That may be true, but my main gripe is that people who were voted out before the merge could potentially be voting among people they've never even met. That's ridiculous to me. Just observing TC's is not enough to cast an informed vote.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
What? Why is that pretty clear?
I don't know, it just seems self-evident to me.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

The first return from Extinction Island was OK, but the second one is way too late in the game and is everything I hate about these kick-off island concepts.

Jeff is the show-runner now and I thought he knew better than doing this.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
That may be true, but my main gripe is that people who were voted out before the merge could potentially be voting among people they've never even met. That's ridiculous to me. Just observing TC's is not enough to cast an informed vote.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Maybe they should let all jurors watch extensive footage of what each finalist did throughout the game--even stuff that didn't make air.

Quote:

I would be interested in reading Probst on this. I have noticed he says the exact same thing to start every challenge, but was never clear on exactly why this was so.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I would be interested in reading Probst on this. I have noticed he says the exact same thing to start every challenge, but was never clear on exactly why this was so.
He's said it somewhere. Basically it's to build a tradition in a deliberate way. Sort of jumpstarting the feel of longevity by being slavish to "tradition" from day 1.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
The first return from Extinction Island was OK, but the second one is way too late in the game and is everything I hate about these kick-off island concepts.

Jeff is the show-runner now and I thought he knew better than doing this.
Well, they could have the return next week to soften that problem. If it was up to me, next EI challenge happens very soon and it's combined with a slashing of numbers. Winner of the challenge goes back in the game, next four go to Ponderosa and the rest are gone.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
The gist is this:

When the show was new, they recorded his explanations of tasks and so forth in ADR. Over time, they realized that Jeff gets it right on set and they started calling him "One Take Probst" because he almost always nails it live.

Now, they only use ADR on stuff when he messes up, which is rare.

Jeff uses a lot of the same phrases so they get it right on set. "Wanna know what you're playin' for?" "Sorry, got nothin' for ya'." And so forth.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:05 PM

A couple of my friends think a season of just the first bootees of every season is a great idea. I think thatís a horrible idea - first boots are booted for a clear reason. I recently looked through Dalton Rossís list of first boots for every season, and Iíd never want to see these people again!
Old 04-27-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
A couple of my friends think a season of just the first bootees of every season is a great idea. I think thatís a horrible idea - first boots are booted for a clear reason. I recently looked through Dalton Rossís list of first boots for every season, and Iíd never want to see these people again!
That's really not true. You can be voted out first for some pretty inconsequential things. All these people you never want to see again probably averaged 6 minutes of screen time to decide on them.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
That's really not true. You can be voted out first for some pretty inconsequential things. All these people you never want to see again probably averaged 6 minutes of screen time to decide on them.
True, but in fairness, I never wanted to see Reem again well short of the 6 minute mark.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:07 PM

Reem is pretty entertaining IMO. Have you guys heard Rob Cesternino's spot-on impression of her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post

I really love Francesca, and she got booted out first twice!
Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 PM

Sitting down to watch tonight's episode right now, there are no voices. I hear the show's music, but the voice track appears to be gone. I'm only 2 minutes in but they're already starting the loved ones reward challenge and still no voices.

Super annoying. You can figure out what they say with closed captioning, but since there isn't a script they're doing it in real time like a sports event, so it's spotty at best.

Also, I really enjoy hearing Jeff doing the color commentary during challenges. This sucks, and I hope it gets fixed during the first commercial break.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:30 PM

Are you in the NYC metro? I saw some people on Twitter saying the same thing, and those who identified their location were there. The sound came through fine for me here in Minnesota.

I am never super jazzed by the loved ones visit, but I'm sure glad they went back to having them actually participate in the challenge!

Nice jury management by Rick.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:38 PM

Feel the love!

Uh, Aurora? The ick factor with your brother is just a tad too much. Something ain't right there.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:11 AM

NYC area, yes.

The first and last segments had no voices, but the middle was fine. Bummer not to hear that tribal council;it looked awesome.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:44 AM

Rick planned that TC like it was his final three speech. Quite a show! Loved it. But of course, tomorrow must begin with an early desperate search for another immunity idol.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:02 AM

Good for Gavin; that is a nice power move for his resume. Greatest reward ever, Ron, thank you so much! Buh-bye.

I thought Ron and his boyfriend make a cute couple.

Lauren, hold it together...

Rick was awesome when they got back from the immunity challenge. "Hey guys, anyone wanna work with me?" hehheh.

Poor Julie. When is the last time she knew who was being voted out, I wonder? Seems like she has never voted for the person voted out.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-02-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 AM

Wife and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Ron get blindsided. Really had enough of him bragging about controlling the game and lying to everyone.

Not one scene (just Ron's arrival at the very end) with anyone from EoE?? I'm really curious as to how that's all going to play out - looks like maybe next week we'll get an idea.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 AM

Devens was entertaining as hell last night, but yeah, he's going to have to win immunity or find an idol repeatedly to make it any further. But his whole "Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of my kids?" speech was great.

Imagine if one of the early vote outs, like Chris, gets back into the game, and winds up winning because they've spent so much time making personal connections with the jury on extinction island. That would really serve the producers right.

And it goes without saying, if Reem makes it back into the game and somehow wins, the only possible response would be to cancel the show, sentence Probst to 5-10 in a Supermax, firebomb the beaches they use for filming, and sow the smoking ruins with salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Jeff uses a lot of the same phrases so they get it right on set. "Wanna know what you're playin' for?" "Sorry, got nothin' for ya'." And so forth.
And the horribly redundant "Once again, immunity is back up for grabs."
Old 05-02-2019, 08:29 AM

Probst says that Ron becomes "the tenth member of the jury". Does that imply that the number of jurors is now firm?

As soon as Ron told his husband that he was in control of the game, I knew he was doomed. The editors love to set up hubris and then punish it.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Wife and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Ron get blindsided. Really had enough of him bragging about controlling the game and lying to everyone.
Ditto. And not just him, it seems like almost every vote out is of someone who has just finished telling us all how great and in control they are.

It's a wonder Extinction Island hasn't sunk under the weight of their egos.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Probst says that Ron becomes "the tenth member of the jury". Does that imply that the number of jurors is now firm?

As soon as Ron told his husband that he was in control of the game, I knew he was doomed. The editors love to set up hubris and then punish it.
That's a good question and we were discussing it last night. What if one of the current EoE inhabitants decides to quit now, before the next/last chance to rejoin the game? Would they stay on the jury but be living in Ponderosa?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:50 AM

Someone on twitter said that the castaways either brought their father or their spouse. Ron brought both!

I never had liked the Loved Ones episodes.

Devens is the only big personality left in the game. Victoria, Gavin, Lauren, Aurora, and Julie have not been given big edits. Yes I know Michelle Fitzgerald was not a big personality, but I can't imagine any of those five winning. Either Devens or whoever returns from the EoE.

Speaking of EoE, where was it last night? I thought Reem was going to ream Wardog in last weeks preview.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:01 PM

I too was happy to see Ron voted out, and I was glad that Rick never really trusted that the expired advantage he gave him was real.
I'm not usually all that moved by the loved ones episodes, but this one seemed to pack more of an emotional punch than usual, and I do enjoy when the loved ones participate in the challenge. But, as usual, people got way too pissy about not getting picked for the reward. I would have made the same choices Ron did. Spouses > Parents > Siblings. Boo-hoo, Aurora, you didn't get to spend the afternoon with your brother? So friggin' what?

If I remember Redemption Island correctly, the maximum population was two, right? They had a head-to-head challenge each episode; winner stays on RI, loser goes home for good. Then, at a certain point, the winner came back into the game.
So, the earlier one was voted out, the longer their odds of returning, as they would have to win challenge after challenge to stay alive. That format had its problems, not the least of which was taking too much time away from the regular game. But if they're going to put someone back into the game, that seemed a much fairer way to do it. The more I think about it, the more I dislike this idea of everybody languishing in exile together, with a chance to come back after just one challenge win. Unless they have some really big twist up their sleeve that nobody sees coming (which I doubt), I think we can proclaim Edge of Extinction a big dull dud.

Last edited by Wheelz; 05-02-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:48 PM

I agree, Redemption Island was much fairer.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Devens is the only big personality left in the game. Victoria, Gavin, Lauren, Aurora, and Julie have not been given big edits. Yes I know Michelle Fitzgerald was not a big personality, but I can't imagine any of those five winning. Either Devens or whoever returns from the EoE.
Yeah, this has been my thinking too the last couple weeks. I originally was thinking Lauren for a bit when it looked like they were setting her up for a "I survived losing my alliance" plotline but I feel she's been the most invisible player remaining recently. Victoria and Gavin seem like smart players but haven't been the focus, and Aurora (no one likes her) and Julie (coat-tail rider) are obvious goats at this point.

Thing is, everyone seems so set on getting rid of Rick (probably because they all know the jury loves him) that I just can't see how he makes it to the end, unless 1) the final immunity challenges all involve puzzles or hand dexterity, or 2) he gets a Ben-style shower of advantages. Or some combination of both.

I suppose there's always the chance Rick gets voted out and Victoria or Gavin makes a move or two at the end to stand out, but it'd certainly feel surprising at this point. I'm also giving the EoE returner no chance of winning but who knows.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
Uh, Aurora? The ick factor with your brother is just a tad too much. Something ain't right there.
Heh! I watched the most recent episode in the most haphazard and distracted way possible, so I didn't really pick up on whatever snarkworthy moments there might have been during the usual loved ones spectacle. I later found this bit about Aurora and her brother from Dalton Ross' weekly recap to be rather touching, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ew.com
But all the reunions were moving in one way or another, especially after Gavin told me before the game about having to shift his wedding date to play, and Aurora talked to me about her relationship with her brother. Hereís what she told me the day before the game began about Shane.

ďMy brother Shane is the brother that went through the foster care system with me. He would never leave my side. Once we were split up and neither one of us ate, so they put us back together. He made sure that I had a normal childhood. I remember going through different foster care homes and he would make sure that my bedroom was set up the same way at each one so that I felt like I had a normal life. I have gotten to where I am today because he put me first and himself second. So, for me, I now live my life to make sure that I can do anything I can for him.Ē
Old 05-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borborygmi View Post
Heh! I watched the most recent episode in the most haphazard and distracted way possible, so I didn't really pick up on whatever snarkworthy moments there might have been during the usual loved ones spectacle. I later found this bit about Aurora and her brother from Dalton Ross' weekly recap to be rather touching, though:
I figured that there had to be something to do with her foster care experience. I remember her mentioning it earlier in the season.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:11 PM

Anyone else not get why Aurora gave up her extra vote. Something to do with not being able to play it in a tiebreaker, but they end up playing it in the first vote anyway?
Old 05-07-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Anyone else not get why Aurora gave up her extra vote. Something to do with not being able to play it in a tiebreaker, but they end up playing it in the first vote anyway?
Aurora's reasoning was that if there was a tie vote, with her being one of the vote recipients, she wouldn't be able to participate in the re-vote. But Gavin would be able to vote no matter what happened, because he had immunity. Thus he could re-use the extra vote as well as his own.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
Aurora's reasoning was that if there was a tie vote, with her being one of the vote recipients, she wouldn't be able to participate in the re-vote. But Gavin would be able to vote no matter what happened, because he had immunity. Thus he could re-use the extra vote as well as his own.
So he could use the extra vote both at the initial vote and a re-vote?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
So he could use the extra vote both at the initial vote and a re-vote?
That's my understanding, based on statements from other websites by self-proclaimed Survivor experts (who do tend to be right, generally).