Old 03-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Or Art Garfunkel
Old 03-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Please not Morgan Freeman, please not Morgan Freeman, pleaseohpleaseohplease not him ...

Sir David Attenborough, who narrates the "Planet Earth" documentaries from BBC, is starting to look old and worn-down in the face and his voice sounds less steady these days. That's the biggest "old but still working" celeb that popped into my head, and his passing will surely generate a big media to-do about it.

I'm not quite 40 yet so Keith Richards still has a shot at outliving me. I've got a running internal bet with myself, if I will be around to learn of his passing.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
God help me for even saying it, Dylan. (When you only need the last name, that's big.)
Or Joel or Springsteen--The three "B's" of rock music (Bob, Billy and Bruce)
Old 03-09-2019, 12:04 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I think the odds against both Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks both staying alive for long are slim. Carl will turn 97 soon and Mel is a "kid" at only 92.

For the purposes of this thread, I'd say Reiner is going to be gone soon.

Last I heard they still have lunch together on a regular basis.
They have dinner and watch Jeopardy every night together.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:28 PM

James Earl Jones
Old 03-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Oh, I've got another one: Julie Andrews.

Also George Lucas. Spielberg, not so much; he's another that I think will refuse to die.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I think the odds against both Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks both staying alive for long are slim. Carl will turn 97 soon and Mel is a "kid" at only 92.

For the purposes of this thread, I'd say Reiner is going to be gone soon.

Last I heard they still have lunch together on a regular basis.
Carl Reiner has made it clear that he intends to hang around until at least November 3rd, 2020.

Note to everyone on this thread - no killing anyone. That's cheating.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

John Astin turns 89 on March 30. If he lives that long.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:47 PM

John Astin is the last surviving (male) villain from the '60's era Batman show. (I just like pointing that out.)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 PM

Would Tom Brokaw count as a celebrity? He was incoherent in a recent appearance he made on a morning news program, which surprised me almost as much as the fact that he's still alive in the first place.

He's been battling multiple myeloma, which is treatable but not curable AND is extremely painful, for several years.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
God help me for even saying it, Dylan. (When you only need the last name, that's big.)
Oh no! Dylan was one of my favourite characters in "The Magic Roundabout".
Old 03-10-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
My sister said Robert Redford, but I dunno. He's old, but he takes care of himself. He may go on and on, to 100 or even beyond. My first guess is Bob Dylan; second is Ringo Starr. (But not McCartney, for the same reason as Redford.) What say you?
If anything I'd think it would be Paul who would go first, not Ringo. Ringo always struck me as a rather hardy and hale fellow, whereas Paul seems much more delicate. I don't like to think of either of them leaving us, but my money would be on Paul first.

Bob Dylan I could see going any day. He lived hard and fast. Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen, not so much. I could easily envision both of them continuing to perform regularly for the next 10 years.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
It won't be Keith Richards. He's gonna eventually transform into a living mummy. (if he hasn't already)
I'm late to this thread and scrolling through I knew he would come up.

For every cigarette you smoke, God takes an hour away from your life and gives it to Keith Richards.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:55 PM

The great Harry Belafonte is 92. I hope he sticks around.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Among musicians I'd go with Shane McGowan. Wheelchair bound for a couple years. He finally got around to marrying Victoria in November. A sure sign of getting his affairs in order. He also got a lifetime achievement award which is often a bad sign.

Only 61 compared to Richards' 75. It takes a real effort to drink and drug yourself into infirmity like this.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
I didn't Beverly Cleary was still alive at the age of 102; I'd be more upset at her death than any former politician or royal.
Who??

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
You never watched Airwolf?
What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Stephen King. Between his misspent youth of drugs and alcohol and that horrific car accident, he's living on borrowed time anyways. Ditto Ben Vereen.
Ben Vereen's hardly a big celeb. I've known who he is since the 1970s because my family had the record of the Pippin soundtrack, but despite being familiar with his name, I rarely hear of him.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Bob Dylan I could see going any day. He lived hard and fast. Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen, not so much. I could easily envision both of them continuing to perform regularly for the next 10 years.
Given that Dylan was born in 1941 and the other two were born in 1949, one would expect Dylan to go first, all other things being equal.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Barbra Streisand and Alan Alda will really cause brouhaha's with their deaths.

And Jimmy Carter, our oldest living ex-President.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
RBG and Phil the Greek seem to be tottering. And if Phil goes, Brenda will follow quickly from a broken heart.
Yeah, the Queen is a tough old bird but once Phil goes she will start the downward spiral (although it won't be "quickly").

Quote:
John Astin turns 89 on March 30. If he lives that long.
But he's feeling much better now.

I just discovered that John Astin is Sean Astin's stepdad (Sean's mother is Patty Duke, to whom Astin was married for 12 years). I did not know that.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Concerning your signature: I don't know and I don't care.
Concerning the thread: Neil Diamond.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Nitpick: No, John Astin is Sean Astin's adoptive and therefore legal father. Patty Duke was having an affair with the then-married Astin, hot pregnant, and claimed he was the father. However, at the same time she was having an affair with 17 year old Desi Arner, Jr, and there was some speculation about that. But she insisted Astin was the biological father, married him, he adopted Sean and later fathered Mackenzie Astin.

Sean would later have DNA testing, which proved his genetic father was Michael Tell, a man Duke was married for 12 days before having the marriage alluded for "non-consummation." To her dying day, Duke insisted John Astin was Sean Astin's father, and the genetic testing was wrong.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 AM

Past or present celebrity?

You could argue that really old stars are no longer celebrities. When Zsa Zsa Gabor died, you got the impression that nobody remembered who she was. But then, fame is short-lived, and she was famous for being famous.

Real celebs? Who still remembers Spartacus, Yup, I'll vote for Kirk Douglas, who has the odds against him at 102. Olivia de Havilland? No major films for a long time, so perhaps a has-been.

Apart from the really elderly, the next choice is rock stars. I'm surprised / dismayed how many of the classic rockers of the 60s and 70s are dying off, in their sixties and early seventies. Seems that cancer is getting a goodly number of them, far less romantic than OD'ing in your twenties, I agree, and not the stuff of legends. While the obvious choice for the Chemically Self Destructive Lifestyle Award is Keith Richard, somehow I think he'll hang on. Put it down to self-pickling.

Murder / suicide: I'll book a time slot further ahead and ponder aloud what will happen when (not if) Our Donald is deelected. Or Hillary, if she decides to run again.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Ben Vereen's hardly a big celeb. I've known who he is since the 1970s because my family had the record of the Pippin soundtrack, but despite being familiar with his name, I rarely hear of him.
I only added Vereen as a footnote to Stephen King because they both have a history of drug abuse and survived being hit by cars. I'm assuming you know who King is.

The biggest "not-so-big" celebrity whose death will hit me the hardest is folk singer Tom Paxton. You may not know the name, but you know his songs.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Barbra Streisand and Alan Alda will really cause brouhaha's with their deaths.

And Jimmy Carter, our oldest living ex-President.
Every time I see the commercial with Carol Burnett honoring Alan Alda's talent it makes me think he died! I wish they would drop that commercial!

I thought maybe it was Jimmy that was the oldest living....

Not know who Beverly Cleary is?

A Gabor sister, not knowing her must imply or infer Green Acres hasnt been seen by the masses. I dont mean she was on it but ya cant mention one with out the other!

I dont know but I think who it happens to turn out to be, will be S*h*O*c*K*i*n*G!
Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Hal Linden turns 88 on March 20th. If he lives that long.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Among musicians I'd go with Shane McGowan. Wheelchair bound for a couple years. He finally got around to marrying Victoria in November. A sure sign of getting his affairs in order. He also got a lifetime achievement award which is often a bad sign.

Only 61 compared to Richards' 75. It takes a real effort to drink and drug yourself into infirmity like this.
On a similar note, Ozzy Osbourne has not been well recently, and if his lifestyle finally catches up with him it will do so hard.

As for Shane, I really hope that the talk of him recording again is true, it's been far too long since he's done anything new, and morbid as it may seem he's a good enough writer that a final album from him could match Cohen's or Bowie's. Hell, for me if it only matches Chuck Berry's last album I'd still love it.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 AM

I'll go with Bob Newhart, although I really hope not.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I'll go with Bob Newhart, although I really hope not.
yes, love him! So many of our loved celebrities go way too soon. Heartbreaking. Guess we will all be gone too.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:17 PM

Beverly Clearly -- she's a children's author, she wrote the Ramona Quimby books, Henry and Ribsy, Ralph S. Mouse, etc.

Quote:
Hal Price. When that Prince dies, it will be bigger than Prince Phillip.
Who?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Girls would be far more likely to know who Beverly Cleary is than boys would.

(Conversely, who wrote the "Goosebumps" series? Was it a person or committee?)

While we're on authors, a lot fewer trees will die when Danielle Steel does.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:

Late August of 2017 I could only afford to see either Tom Petty or Bob Dylan, and I chose Dylan. It was a good concert, but I wish I had chosen differently,

Last edited by Mona Lisa Simpson; 03-15-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
The three live theatre big ones are Stephen Sondheim, John Kander, and especially Hal Price. When that Prince dies, it will be bigger than Prince Phillip.
While Hal Prince is a legend within the Broadway community, the general public (though they likely have heard of shows heís produced) has no clue who he is.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Lisa Simpson View Post
Late August of 2017 I could only afford to see either Tom Petty or Bob Dylan, and I chose Dylan. It was a good concert, but I wish I had chosen differently,
I've seen Dylan many times, Petty a few times less, but still five (IIRC) times. Dylan is more of a spectacle/event; it always feels like maybe Joan Baez or Robbie Robertson is in the crowd with you. Petty is more consistent. He is great every time he takes the stage. With Dylan there's always the chance that he doesn't really feel like giving it his all, yet it's still a great show.

Petty crowds are typically alcohol driven. Dylan crowds are more weed/mushroom type crowds.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Girls would be far more likely to know who Beverly Cleary is than boys would.

While we're on authors, a lot fewer trees will die when Danielle Steel does.
Iím a guy, but I remember her and Judy Blume being the two major childrenís book authors when I was in grammar school in the 80s, but that well may have been strongly influenced by my teachers. I never did get too much into a Cleary ó we all had to read The Mouse and the Motorcycle in third grade, but I tore through Judy Blume (who apparently is also alive at 81; huh. I had no idea they were twenty years apart. I thought they were both about the same age.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-16-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

As I posted above, I read all the Beverly Cleary books in grammar school, and I was astonished 20 years ago to find out she was still alive. She'll be 103 on April 12, if she make s it.

Her two autobiographical books A Girl from Yamhill and My Own Two Feet are definitely worth reading.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post

R.L. Stine, I believe.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Author Mary Higgins Clark is a good candidate at age 91.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:05 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
R.L. Stine, I believe.
Yep. R. L. Stine is a real person.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I hope it's Anita Bryant. So I can do my Happy Dance.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Warren Buffet - 88
Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Charlie Munger is even older at 95, but he's less of a celebrity.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:53 AM

Prince Phillip, the Prince Consort.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Bob Dylan I could see going any day. He lived hard and fast.
For the past 15 years at least (probably closer to 20, maybe even 25) Bob Dylan has played AT LEAST 60 different live shows per year (some years between 70-80) in those years visiting virtually every single US state and over 20 different countries, on what is called "The Neverending Tour" and in the process logging more miles and stage time than most performers 1/2 his age.

I don't know his personal habits, but he has mentioned that he quit drinking alcohol in the mid 1990's, and I would be shocked to find out if other drugs were still a part of his life these days either, although I guess anything is possible.

I saw him twice last year, in Lisbon and in Vienna, and while musically his live shows are not everyones Cup of Tea (to put it VERY mildly) physically he looks to be in excellent shape for a man of his age.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I don't think Jimmy Carter is buying many green bananas.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 PM

I have not got the beginnings of a clue why, but I read the title of this thread and - BAM: Jeff Goldblum pinged into the forefront of my consciousness. I literally thought I could hear his name being spoken.

So, I'm going for Goldblum. Chuff knows why.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Not that *big* but I just found out that Lawrence Ferlinghetti is still alive and will hit 100 in two days, on March 24th.

If he lives that long!
Old 04-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Hal Holbrook is still alive at 94? No rumors of his death?
Old 04-07-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Hal Holbrook is still alive at 94? No rumors of his death?

The absence of reports of his death are not an exaggeration.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Mick Jagger recently canceled some tour dates for health reasons.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

I just saw a headline about the Dalai Lama in the hospital.