Old 04-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
So is Rupert gone? Id like to watch this without ever letting that asshole appear on my tv.

Yes. I don't remember -- they might do a little "previously", in which case you might want to skip the first couple minutes.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Did our OP get Philiminated with extreme prejudice?
Been wondering about that.

Been a member for 16 months, with just one post, the Opening Post.

And who ever it is, knows enough about the SDMB history to know Zut's Taxi Assessment
Old 04-29-2019, 05:09 PM

Laos. Laos? Laos! Has any TV show ever gone to Laos? Anthony Bourdain...Michael Palin? David Attenborough? Shoot, has there been a *movie* set in Laos? James Bond, Jason Bourne...?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
They never have. They can't use any sort of smart phone, though they can ask bystanders to use one for them. They can buy things (like maps) to help during the race, but they're given a fairly small set amount of cash for each leg, and that's the only medium of exchange they can use - teams have been penalized for trading personal belongings for rides in the past. I don't know if a standalone translation device is specifically banned, or just that no team has ever thought it would be cost effective - looking online dedicated translation devices seem kind of pricey (over $100, I'm sure it's more in airport stores).

ETA: Racers have been observed on flights finding someone who speaks both English and the language of their destination, and practicing useful phrases with them.
In the beginning racers were allowed to get a local to help them navigate the entire leg. They stopped that after a few seasons.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
In the beginning racers were allowed to get a local to help them navigate the entire leg. They stopped that after a few seasons.
I remember one time a pair of racers enlisted a local to go with them on a cab ride and give the cab driver directions. The woman just told the cabbie where she wanted to go, and hopped out when they arrived having scored herself a free cab ride home.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Not that I remember specifically, but there's a lot of episodes. I got info from this wiki: https://amazingrace.fandom.com/wiki/Rules_and_Penalties

I don't know where they get all of their info, as not all of that is cited, but I doubt someone just made that up out of nowhere and it seems to follow with the other rules regarding money.
Only thing I'd add is that it seems like all bargaining has to be done before the trip. The period ranging from Colin and Christie's season where Colin nearly got thrown into jail because the cabbie changed rates (or Colin misunderstood the rates) to the season where those "dwarf"* stunt men who kept scamming drivers by taking the cab ride and then saying "Oopsie! We don't have the cash. How about a watch instead?" drama has died completely.

They also seem to have gotten rid of Ferns (to the n00bs--a "Fern", named for the first person appointed to the role--is a local who will hang out on the entire leg (or most of it, but it doesn't count if they only go on a part of the leg) with you, guiding you, providing direction, etc.). We haven't seen one in years.

And holy shit Rupert is an obnoxious pompous attention whore. I'm so glad he's gone. Also, Colin is clearly reading from a script that some PR person gave him. New Zen Colin is just....weird.

*I don't know the appropriate term.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:58 AM

Dancing and karaoke - this leg was specifically designed for Team Fun, wasn't it? Maybe it was to make up for their horrible experience the last time they were in Vietnam.

The 218 Dance Crew were featured in this episode. They're somewhat well-known in the region after they appeared in Asia's Got Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
They also seem to have gotten rid of Ferns .... We haven't seen one in years.
Ferns are now specifically prohibited by the rules. Racers have to run the race on their own. (This doesn't preclude teams joining up to race together)
Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 PM

I wish someone would tell the producers of The Amazing Race that they're making The Amazing Race. If I wanted to see all the backstabbing and conniving of Survivor, I'd watch Survivor.

I don't really remember Leo & Jamal from their earlier appearances. Were they always assholes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
And who ever it is, knows enough about the SDMB history to know Zut's Taxi Assessment
Zut's Taxi Assessment deserves to be more widely known.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I don't really remember Leo & Jamal from their earlier appearances. Were they always assholes?
I thought they were assholes their first season, but I think I remember being in a minority on the SDMB thread.

Or I could be mixing that last bit up with the goat farmers, who I hated that they won but were very popular.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

I think it was widely agreed that they were assholes, but good racers. Not mutually exclusive.

StG
Old 05-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

It looks like they have been teasing us the last couple weeks with some almost-meltdowns from Rachel. (Who then seems to get all snarky about her sister in asides to the camera.) I assume this is just foreshadowing to a full-blown eruption any time now.

And is it just me, or do about half of the women in the race look like they've had some work done on their faces? Several seem to have that tight-skin puffy-lip too-much-Botox look.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
The period ranging from Colin and Christie's season where Colin nearly got thrown into jail because the cabbie changed rates (or Colin misunderstood the rates) to the season where those "dwarf"* stunt men who kept scamming drivers by taking the cab ride and then saying "Oopsie! We don't have the cash. How about a watch instead?" drama has died completely

*I don't know the appropriate term.

The word you're looking for is asshole.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
The 218 Dance Crew were featured in this episode. They're somewhat well-known in the region after they appeared in Asia's Got Talent.
You know, I never thought about how on these various performance challenges, how the local team has to do it over and over again, nearly a hundred times.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I wish someone would tell the producers of The Amazing Race that they're making The Amazing Race. If I wanted to see all the backstabbing and conniving of Survivor, I'd watch Survivor.
This is pretty much how I feel about this entire season. I don't watch Survivor or Big Brother for good reasons. I really don't need them infecting one of the few reality competitions I find to be sort of worth watching.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
If it's back to Wednesdays instead of Friday purgatory, I'm hoping for as high as 6 million. Over 5 at least.
Well it started off promising:

Ratings: CBS’ ‘Survivor,’ ‘Amazing Race’ Season Premiere Are Wednesday’s Top 2 Shows

Quote:
“Survivor” at 8 p.m. posted a 1.5 and 7.8 million viewers. “The Amazing Race” season premiere at 9 landed a 1.2 and 5.8 million viewers.
But then the next episode dropped precipitously to around 4.5 million viewers and stayed that way the following week. (Numbers from this page on tvseriesfinale.com.)

Quote:
For comparisons: The 30th season of The Amazing Race (Spring 2018) averaged a 1.15 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.514 million total viewers.
Last season was Fridays, right? Maybe Friday wasn't so bad after all.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-07-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duality72 View Post
This is pretty much how I feel about this entire season. I don't watch Survivor or Big Brother for good reasons. I really don't need them infecting one of the few reality competitions I find to be sort of worth watching.
Didn't one of the teams take 27 attempts?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 AM

I don't like the Reilly sisters, but good riddance to Corinne and Eliza.

Now if only the preview is right and the Reilly sisters have a meltdown in the next episode which is preempted because of the Survivor finale.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:57 AM

How many times was Rachel ready to give up on building the water wheel? I was quite ready for them to go home. Though Corinne and Eliza wasn't such a bad elimination either. They did get one thing right: Survivors seem to be amazingly bad at the race.

The Afghanimals started out typically strong, but made a poor choice of detour. I don't know if I could have made the optimal decision on that detour either.

I agree with the previous poster that new Zen Colin is kinda freaky. The Amazing Editors seem to be setting him up for an epic future meltdown. But so far their Zen attitude are serving Colin & Christie well.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:12 AM

I didn't expect the "Survivor" Teams to do well on this race. But not because they were on Survivor. None of them were Physical Challenge Beasts in their Survivor appearances.

Rob Cesternino (Amazon, AllStars) and Stephen Fishbach (Tocantins, 2nd Chances) were asked to be on this season but couldn't go because Fishbach was getting married (among other reasons). I think they would have done well. I am guessing Brett and Chris were their replacements. Lots of potential survivor teams would be stronger teams (On paper). Malcolm and Denise, Spencer and Tasha, etc.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:43 AM

So far the last place teams have been:

1) TAR (cops?)
2) Survivor (Rupert & Laura)
3) Survivor (Chris & Brett) - NEL
4) Survivor (good riddance)

Yeah that's not great.

For the Big Brother teams, I think Britney and Janelle aren't long for this game unless they learn to navigate post-haste. The Reilly sisters could hang around for a while, and Victor & Nicole are racing solidly. I'm liking them much more than on their previous shows.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:30 AM

I realized last night that Britney is giving me serious Zoe Lister-Jones (Jen on Life In Pieces) vibes. Other than one being blonde and one brunette, they're strangely similar.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM

Great comparison, and I love that show. In the open this episode, they showed her elbowing one of the Survivor villains out of her way and then accidentally mowing down the polar bear costume dude at the bottom of the ramp. And then she did nothing at all for the rest of the leg.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
I didn't expect the "Survivor" Teams to do well on this race. But not because they were on Survivor. None of them were Physical Challenge Beasts in their Survivor appearances.
I seem to recall Rupert being pretty good at physical challenges while he was on Survivor. Besides, you don't need to be that physically good to do well on the race.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:27 PM

Apparently there was an unaired segment involving a Head-to-Head right before the Pit Stop. Teams had to play badminton against each other. The winners got to run to Phil at the mat, while the losers had to wait for the next team and try to beat them. Rachel & Elissa had already lost two previous matches before finally beating Corinne & Eliza and edging them out at the Pit Stop. This undoubtedly accounts for the Survivors' downtrodden appearance and why the two last place teams were so close together.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Great comparison, and I love that show. In the open this episode, they showed her elbowing one of the Survivor villains out of her way and then accidentally mowing down the polar bear costume dude at the bottom of the ramp. And then she did nothing at all for the rest of the leg.
Hey, now! She played the part of ballast admirably.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

I was surprised that they allowed them to ride mopeds around like that. They can be dangerous enough, even at those speeds, to get hurt. In the US they make you wear at least jeans, a long sleeved shirt, and gloves. I cringed when one of the women laid hers down, glad no one was hurt. They also didn't seem to get any instruction at all on how to ride. Had they gotten any I think a couple of them would have gotten through faster.

Too bad about Eliza, she might have been nasty, but she was eye candy.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:04 AM

Speaking of ballast, I think my favorite part of the episode was when Corinne and Eliza took a header out of their boat, got back in and continued to paddle standing up.

They're showing us how to do it, so we stand up!

Too good.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Corinne and Eliza's exit must have been one of the most negative ones I've seen on TAR. Obviously the people eliminated are disappointed but usually Phil gets them to say something inspiring like "well I've still learned so much and it was so amazing blah blah blah" but here we just had lots of crying and bitterness. Not surprising though, that was basically Corinne and Eliza's whole schtick and while it may be entertaining on a game where you betray people it doesn't work here.

Quote:
Apparently there was an unaired segment involving a Head-to-Head right before the Pit Stop. Teams had to play badminton against each other. The winners got to run to Phil at the mat, while the losers had to wait for the next team and try to beat them. Rachel & Elissa had already lost two previous matches before finally beating Corinne & Eliza and edging them out at the Pit Stop. This undoubtedly accounts for the Survivors' downtrodden appearance and why the two last place teams were so close together.
Wow, that's a pretty big thing to cut.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
Too bad about Eliza, she might have been nasty, but she was eye candy.
I like eye candy as much as the next guy (and gay woman, I guess), but I was more than glad to see their whiny, bitchy, self-involved, vindictive asses kicked out.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:37 PM

I remember Corrine and Eliza both all too clearly in their respective seasons and had a hunch that they were going to be a toxic dumpster fire before the end of their run.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:27 AM

Colin has seriously changed. I'm taking mellow jazz, bongo drums and the big bag o' weed. Be interesting to see if he keeps the laid-back going when things get really tough.

If there was a whole segment in there they cut out, I'm really disappointed in that. Not disappointed, however, in seeing Corinne and Eliza go - not that they were bad racers or anything but jeez, just race and stop thinking you're brilliant because you're a bitch. You're not, you're just a bitch.

High chance of a full meltdown next week - it's about that time when fatigue really starts to kick in and there were beginning signs this week from Rachel.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:25 AM

I couldn't believe when when Corinne (or was it Eliza? either way) was talking about the scooter challenge: "Of course we can't do this; we didn't grow up poor in a trailer park."

Talk about leaning into your villain persona...

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-12-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if one of the TAR producers is a Top Gear fan. Top Gear also did the scooter training course when they did a show in Vietnam.

A question about the Victor and Nicole relationship for anyone familiar with them from Big Brother. Maybe it's the editing, but it seems like he is waaay into her, and half the time she can barely tolerate being next to him. Am I totally off base?
Old 05-12-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I think they may have edited the Detour a bit, too. Rachel & Elissa were shown leaving their waterwheel in next-to-last place, but they must have arrived at the badminton in 6th in order to lose two matches before beating Corinne & Eliza.

Quote:
I wonder if one of the TAR producers is a Top Gear fan. Top Gear also did the scooter training course when they did a show in Vietnam.
"Jeremy Clarkson, fail."

How many scooter riders did they say there are in Vietnam? Maybe there's more than one school.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I think they may have edited the Detour a bit, too. Rachel & Elissa were shown leaving their waterwheel in next-to-last place, but they must have arrived at the badminton in 6th in order to lose two matches before beating Corinne & Eliza.
Yeah, that water wheel probably did not take as long as it was made out to be. The Afghanimals got to the Detour first but dropped several places by the time they got to the Pit Stop. That must have been due to losing some matches of badminton.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
A question about the Victor and Nicole relationship for anyone familiar with them from Big Brother. Maybe it's the editing, but it seems like he is waaay into her, and half the time she can barely tolerate being next to him. Am I totally off base?
Based on their BB season together, that sounds about right.

On their BB season, Nicole basically laid in bed all day every day (and whined the whole time) with a guy named Corey, but I think they broke up shortly after the season wrapped. Or maybe a year, I dunno.

Anyway, that whole season, one of the big ongoing dramas in the house was Nicole (in bed, of course) whining about how Victor liked her and was super creepy about it. And he was. He'd lay down in bed between Nicole and Corey, and guffaw out his obnoxiously loud laugh, and stay there until finally they'd get up and leave.

I was surprised when TAR came around and they were a couple. As she said on TAR, Nicole helped vote Victor out of the house THREE times that season.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-12-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I was surprised when TAR came around and they were a couple. As she said on TAR, Nicole helped vote Victor out of the house THREE times that season.
This past summer on Big Brother, they had a segment where Victor proposed to her in the BB house, she accepted and they had a little party with that season's houseguests and some of the guests from their seasons.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
This past summer on Big Brother, they had a segment where Victor proposed to her in the BB house, she accepted and they had a little party with that season's houseguests and some of the guests from their seasons.
Ah, yeah, I gave up on BB two episodes into the first celebrity one and haven't watched any BB since.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 PM

Not that I really care... but what was the origin of the death vendetta between the last 2 teams, anyway?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Not that I really care... but what was the origin of the death vendetta between the last 2 teams, anyway?
None that I'm aware of. Three of the four people on those two teams are hateful and vindictive, and they were battling it out for last place, so the bitterness and animosity seems about right.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:34 AM

I slightly disagree with that...Rachel and Elissa are shallow and self-centered and whiny, but they're not mean except when they're returning fire (and believe me, neither is on my must-watch list). Corinne and Eliza, though...hoo, boy! Toxic and always have been.