Old 05-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Do new contestants get a chance to practice on the buzzers? I feel like everyone should get 2 or 3 minutes to get a feel for it before they go on the show.
Yes, there's a rehearsal on set in which everyone gets a chance to see how everything works, including the signalling device.

It's always been more than 2-3 minutes. In fact, I read that somewhere (this thread, an article, or on the Jeopardy! contestants' Facebook page) that at some point they increased the rehearsal time so that newcomers have more time to get used to the button.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
There's absolutely no reason to do so, as the Jeopardy! format is well established and enjoyed by almost all, but I just don't understand all the arguing about the buzzer stuff. If you want to do it like everyone else does it, just don't show the answer(question) to the contestants (feel free to show it to those at home), have Alex read it out, and whenever anyone wants to buzz in thinking they know the direction the answer/question is headed, have at it, and Alex stops reading the clue.
This is also a sort of solution, but it likely makes for very bad television.

For one, people at home who can't read can no longer play along, and even those who can read are not going to like Alex constantly getting interrupted. For two, the expected value of buzzing in early is pretty high, which means you'll get a lot more people buzzing in and guessing at the question, which seems like an adjustment in the wrong direction. It makes being quick on the buzzer even more relevant!
Old 05-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I've never been on Jeopardy, but I've participated in other quiz contests. The one I was in, you could buzz in at any time. A lot of times, I got to a point where I decided that I was capable of answering the question quicker than I actually figured out the answer. So I buzzed in before I knew the answer, and then finished figuring it out in the time it took the moderator to call on me.

Usually, when I decided I was capable of answering the question, I was right. Usually. But it's still going to lead to more wrong answers.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I've never been on Jeopardy, but I've participated in other quiz contests. The one I was in, you could buzz in at any time. A lot of times, I got to a point where I decided that I was capable of answering the question quicker than I actually figured out the answer. So I buzzed in before I knew the answer, and then finished figuring it out in the time it took the moderator to call on me.

Usually, when I decided I was capable of answering the question, I was right. Usually. But it's still going to lead to more wrong answers.
Was there an advantage to buzzing in first in those contests? Or was it like my suggestion where everyone who buzzes in before some threshold time gets an equal chance?

If the first, I agree that there's an incentive to buzz in earlier. You should buzz in as soon as you think your chance of being right is good enough to risk it. And you will be wrong more.

If you can buzz in later with no penalty, then why not wait until closer to the limit to see if you actually figure it out?

There is some of this in Jeopardy already. Ken Jennings has said that at buzz-time, if you think you'll be able to come up with the answer, you should buzz in. You do have a few seconds to think before the timer runs out. It's not clear to me how allowing earlier buzz-ins, but not privileging them over later buzz-ins, will lead to people to prematurely buzz in.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
Was there an advantage to buzzing in first in those contests? Or was it like my suggestion where everyone who buzzes in before some threshold time gets an equal chance?
Does any contest anywhere do this?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
Does any contest anywhere do this?
No, it appears to be an original idea, and a very good one at that.

Quote:
The machine that determines who buzzed in first could be just as rigged as a random number generator.
Excellent point, well done. Random selection it is.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I've never been on Jeopardy, but I've participated in other quiz contests. The one I was in, you could buzz in at any time.

Yeah, I was in Knowledge Bowl in high school (got to be on local TV even), and we could buzz in at any point and the questioner would stop reading and let you take a crack at it.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post

Excellent point, well done. Random selection it is.
I don't think it's a good idea. I don't want a dice roll added to Jeopardy. I mean sure, you could run a game like that and it might be fun but I don't want a game I enjoy watching being fundamentally changed like that.

And if you want that fairness, why have a buzzer at all? Just have all the contestants answer all the questions every time. Let them avoid penalty by writing "pass".
Old 05-11-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
And if you want that fairness, why have a buzzer at all? Just have all the contestants answer all the questions every time. Let them avoid penalty by writing "pass".
But what if the clue is "this is the only thing one should do when in the leftmost lane of a freeway."
Old 05-11-2019, 07:05 AM

Ok, they avoid penalty by writing "".
Old 05-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, buzzer skill (however that manifests) is in fact one of the skills inherent to Jeopardy (or other quiz shows). I don't see a problem with leaving it in the game.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:15 AM

I find buzzer skill to be the least interesting part of Jeopardy, and even actively irritating when you can see and hear contestants hammering away at their buzzer to no avail.

Note that it wouldn't change anything at all for the home viewer, or even really the contestants themselves. Alex asks a question, one of the podiums lights up, that person chooses an answer. How the determination is made right now is already essentially a black box.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-11-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:16 AM

Nobody is excited by buzzer skill but you need a way to see who answers. I personally find some random selection to be quite lame.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Nobody is excited by buzzer skill but you need a way to see who answers. I personally find some random selection to be quite lame.
It's kind of random right now.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I find buzzer skill to be the least interesting part of Jeopardy, and even actively irritating when you can see and hear contestants hammering away at their buzzer to no avail.

This. Kind of hard to believe anyone appreciates this aspect. Takes all kinds, I guess!
Old 05-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
This. Kind of hard to believe anyone appreciates this aspect. Takes all kinds, I guess!
Disagree. The current system is the best of all the possible (flawed) solutions. Seeing the other contestants “hammering away” let’s me know they they at least thought they also knew the answer.

I read an interview somewhere online with James where he said he had constructed a buzzer at home (with electronics and duct tape) so he could practice. This is an option to all contestants. They all talk about practicing and studying the knowledge part, maybe they should also practice the hand-eye part.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
I read an interview somewhere online with James where he said he had constructed a buzzer at home (with electronics and duct tape) so he could practice. This is an option to all contestants. They all talk about practicing and studying the knowledge part, maybe they should also practice the hand-eye part.
Ken Jennings practiced with a clicky-pen.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's a good idea. I don't want a dice roll added to Jeopardy. I mean sure, you could run a game like that and it might be fun but I don't want a game I enjoy watching being fundamentally changed like that.
Jeopardy is a great game and a great show, and changing it risks screwing something up.

Quote:
You can't do nearly as many questions if they're writing down answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson
Clearly they should if they want to be really successful.

This might be a thing that's pretty hard to practice effectively. Ken Jennings describes it as not actually reacting to the light coming on, but anticipating when the light will come on based on when Alex finishes reading the question. Practicing with a buzzer at home isn't going to replicate that, which is why returning champions do have a real edge.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:31 AM

All the posters who want to make Jeopardy 'fairer' remind me of Peter King and his ilk wringing their hands over making NFL overtime 'fairer'. First it was if the team that wins the coin toss, gains 20-30 yards (depending on the kick-off return) and kicks a field goal, they win. This was seen as unfair to the loser of the coin toss. The rule was changed so that the initial possession must result in a touchdown for the winner of the coin toss to win. Now, if a team wins the coin toss, drives for a touchdown and wins the game, it is seen as unfair to the loser of the coin toss, as they never got to possess the ball. When will it end?
Old 05-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Is there a reason we shouldn't try to make games better or more fair?

I understand the people who think that this change will make the game worse. I disagree, but it's a matter of opinion.

I'm not sure I understand the argument that it's bad to try to improve games. The rules of games change over time. Ideally, they change in a way that makes them better in some way. This is a change that I think will make Jeopardy better (in the sense that Jeopardy is a trivia contest, so removing aspects of the game that influence winning that aren't based on trivia is an improvement).

Like, imagine (although it's silly) that instead of pressing a button in your hand, you had to sprint across the studio to hit the button. Obviously, being able to sprint quickly would be a part of the game. And I can imagine people saying, hey, Sprint-Jeopardy is both a physical and mental challenge. People can practice answering questions, but they've also got to be in peak physical shape. And, honestly, from a certain perspective, the running/trivia biathlon actually seems like kind of a cool contest. Well-rounded dominance. Maybe there should be more of a physical component. Maybe a game that was half Jeopardy and half American Gladiators would be an even better game show!

Is anyone actually making that argument for Jeopardy? Do you really like that "pressing a button quickly after a light comes on" is a valuable part of the contest? Should we make reaction time more relevant, or does Jeopardy have the exact correct balance of reaction time/trivia knowledge?

I am pretty suspicious of a claim that reaction time should be part of the contest, but that we shouldn't increase its value; it's exactly the right amount right now. Sounds like just status quo bias.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Should we make reaction time more relevant, or does Jeopardy have the exact correct balance of reaction time/trivia knowledge?

I am pretty suspicious of a claim that reaction time should be part of the contest, but that we shouldn't increase its value ...
Who are the "we" that you're referring to and what's with the "should" and "shouldn't"?

Have you contacted the producers and let them know how they can make more money by following your suggestions?
Old 05-12-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I am pretty suspicious of a claim that reaction time should be part of the contest, but that we shouldn't increase its value; it's exactly the right amount right now. Sounds like just status quo bias.
The current buzzer system hasn’t always been as it is. This is where it has been refined to. And it’s good.

Are you also suspicious of people who think cross-country skiing is an important part of the biathlon but that we shouldn’t increase its value?

Jeopardy is a biathlon of sorts. By definition it requires both skills. Full stop. There is no need to remove buzzer speed.

Otherwise, you could just hand out a printed quiz to the contestants at the start and at the end of the half hour have them graded. Pure knowledge, very “fair” and boring as shit.

Last edited by Lucas Jackson; 05-12-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxx View Post
Who are the "we" that you're referring to and what's with the "should" and "shouldn't"?
Society? People having a not-very-consequential conversation on the message board? I was responding to the poster who mentioned the NFL and seemed to dislike the idea of making games more fair.

Quote:
Have you contacted the producers and let them know how they can make more money by following your suggestions?
This feels like an appeal to authority couched in a slightly condescending way. Apologies if I misinterpreted, but that's what you were going for, right?

Note that it's also a bit of a shifting of the goalposts. I haven't argued that this change would make the producers of Jeopardy more money. I... have no idea if it would do that? I think it probably wouldn't, since as mentioned earlier people going on big runs like this make people excited about Jeopardy, and this change would likely result in shorter runs by removing some of the returning champion's advantage.

But surely you don't think that every change to Jeopardy should be judged solely by its impact on revenues, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson
The current buzzer system hasn’t always been as it is. This is where it has been refined to.
I was not aware of that. Can you point me to more info?

Quote:
Are you also suspicious of people who think cross-country skiing is an important part of the biathlon but that we shouldn’t increase its value?
A little, although certainly less than in the case of Jeopardy.

I think the difference is that the biathlon is unabashedly a blend of two skills. No one would describe it as "a shooting" competition" or "a skiing competition". It's clearly both. Skiing and shooting are both essential to it.

I think that Jeopardy is quite different. The way the buzzer rewards reaction time seems like a weird side effect more than an essential part of the competition. You may disagree with this, but I'm clearly not alone in this feeling.

Quote:
Otherwise, you could just hand out a printed quiz to the contestants at the start and at the end of the half hour have them graded. Pure knowledge, very “fair” and boring as shit.
I absolutely agree, and I have pointed out in this thread to several others that some other proposed changes would make for bad TV. I don't think my proposed change does, though.

Think of it this way: if Jeopardy implemented my rules change, how many viewers could even tell that anything changed?

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 05-12-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you, although I can't take credit for the basic idea, which comes for market design attempts to limit the influence of high speed trading.

If you think about it, they're solving a similar sort of problem. They want to incentivize quick trades for people with new information that affects price, because that's how the market remains liquid, but they don't want to incentivize the massive arms race in faster communications so you can beat out the other traders by 0.0000001 seconds.

So what they do is treat all orders that happen within some fairly small threshold of each other as happening at the same time and use other methods to determine which ones get filled. And it works pretty well. The markets are still very liquid, and no one wastes huge amounts of money trying to eke out slightly faster comms.

With Jeopardy, if you want to incentivize knowing the answers quickly, but you don't want to incentivize being able to press a button slightly faster than other humans, well, this is a great way to do that with minimal impact on everything else.

Anyway, it's an idea. It's not perfect, it might not even be better, but it's pretty well targeted at the thing that I think is not great about Jeopardy. I've taken up enough of your thread, so I'll let anyone who wants to point out other flaws in it have the last word.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:03 PM

“In the early days of the show, contestants could ring in at any time and that led to a lot of quick guesses, negative scores and general confusion.”

From the horses mouth:
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behin...dy-buzzer-work

Also:
“Hopefully, it helps them to relax a bit, knowing that lightning reflexes and flexible thumbs are just as important to the game as having staggering amounts of knowledge about a vast array of subjects.”
Old 05-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I think that if you have a different idea about how best to run a quiz show, it'd be best to create a new quiz show that uses that different idea, and leave Jeopardy alone. Yeah, Jeopardy is a bit of an 800-pound gorilla, but there have been many other trivia shows that have run concurrently with it (Who Wants to be a Millionaire, The Chase, Win Ben Stein's Money, etc.).
Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 PM

Are the Teachers done and Holzhauer back tomorrow?

Anyone still going to watch?
Old 05-19-2019, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post

Yes and yes.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
I wasn't, but only because I found out his age when I was on the show last year.

Johnny Gilbert entertains the audience between games, while Alex is changing his suit and the next batch of contestants is getting ready to go on. He had stories about announcing for The Price is Right. I'm talking about the original, black-and-white Prince is Right, hosted by Bill Cullen. How many folks here even remember Bill Cullen?
Gawd, I thought his only game show connection was as a panelist on To Tell the Truth...
Old 05-20-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
“In the early days of the show, contestants could ring in at any time and that led to a lot of quick guesses, negative scores and general confusion.”

From the horses mouth:
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behin...dy-buzzer-work

Also:
“Hopefully, it helps them to relax a bit, knowing that lightning reflexes and flexible thumbs are just as important to the game as having staggering amounts of knowledge about a vast array of subjects.”
I remember there were a couple of times way back when there were only 2 people on final jeopardy because people were minus at the end and I think only one guy was left once or twice but he had to go through it anyways to see how much he was going to carry over for the enxt show ... .....
Old 05-20-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Yes! It resumes tonight. Finally.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:47 AM

Planet money did an episode on James Holzhauer. It was by Kenny Malone who is a brother in law (I think?) to James. They talk to Jennings, Roger Craig, and Holzhauer.

They discuss most of the tactics mentioned here, but it is couched in a competition of who is the cooler uncle.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Is James good or bad for ratings? Seems like this would be easy to confirm. (I think the answer is Good.)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Well, James did win again. If he kept winning at the same rate, for the same 74 games Jennings played, he would have more than twice the money Jennings did, and that would not count tournament winnings.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

From what I saw, it looked like the competitors finally tried to get to the higher paying squares first. Not that it affected the final scores any.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:

I understand the people who think that this change will make the game worse. I disagree, but it's a matter of opinion.

I'm not sure I understand the argument that it's bad to try to improve games. The rules of games change over time. Ideally, they change in a way that makes them better in some way. This is a change that I think will make Jeopardy better (in the sense that Jeopardy is a trivia contest, so removing aspects of the game that influence winning that aren't based on trivia is an improvement).

Like, imagine (although it's silly) that instead of pressing a button in your hand, you had to sprint across the studio to hit the button. Obviously, being able to sprint quickly would be a part of the game. And I can imagine people saying, hey, Sprint-Jeopardy is both a physical and mental challenge. People can practice answering questions, but they've also got to be in peak physical shape. And, honestly, from a certain perspective, the running/trivia biathlon actually seems like kind of a cool contest. Well-rounded dominance. Maybe there should be more of a physical component. Maybe a game that was half Jeopardy and half American Gladiators would be an even better game show!

Is anyone actually making that argument for Jeopardy? Do you really like that "pressing a button quickly after a light comes on" is a valuable part of the contest? Should we make reaction time more relevant, or does Jeopardy have the exact correct balance of reaction time/trivia knowledge?

Hear, hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
All the posters who want to make Jeopardy 'fairer' remind me of Peter King and his ilk wringing their hands over making NFL overtime 'fairer'. First it was if the team that wins the coin toss, gains 20-30 yards (depending on the kick-off return) and kicks a field goal, they win. This was seen as unfair to the loser of the coin toss. The rule was changed so that the initial possession must result in a touchdown for the winner of the coin toss to win. Now, if a team wins the coin toss, drives for a touchdown and wins the game, it is seen as unfair to the loser of the coin toss, as they never got to possess the ball. When will it end?

How about when both teams have the chance to possess?

I would actually like to see them do something more like in college football.

Anyway, I don't see the problem with trying to make games better by tweaking the rules. As you have indicated, the NFL does this with some frequency, and they are obviously very successful.
Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM

Are they supposed to whack Holzhauer with a stupid stick? That's the only thing that will slow him down.

Once in awhile, a very smart person with fast reflexes gets on Jeopardy. They'll dominate the game until they make a dumb mistake. The pressure gets to them and their concentration slips.

It'll happen to Holzhauer eventually. I'm going to enjoy his incredible run while it lasts.

He's still weeks away from challenging Jennings 74-game winning streak.

Last edited by aceplace57; Yesterday at 05:42 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

The challengers need to get the Daily Doubles before James does if they have any hope of beating him. Or he needs to mispronounce a few answers...
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

He bet $40,000 on Final Jeopardy. Is that a record?
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Quote:
He bet $40,000 on Final Jeopardy. Is that a record?
It would be, except he bet $60,013 on his 10th game. Previous record was $38,314 (also by James). Before that it was $34,000 by Austin Rogers.

Also, his average score is now over $77k, which was the previous single game record.
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Anybody else want James to take the high dollar crown but want Ken Jennings to hold onto longest winning streak?
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Local coverage today was pre-empted by weather news, a tornado warning. Did James win today?
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Local coverage today was pre-empted by weather news, a tornado warning. Did James win today?
Yes. This is the first episode of his I watched. He ended up with 80-something K in the end. Not a particularly hard board today. (I don't think there was a single wrong answer by any of the contestants.) He hit both DDs in double jeopardy (not sure about first round), and went into Final Jeopardy with a very comfortable lead (I think his closest opponent was around a quarter of James' pot.)
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM

I heard a radio commercial today for the show, touting the presence of James.

It would be interesting to know if there are regular radio ads for the show--I don't normally have on anything but public radio, but for various reasons I was flipping around, and heard the ad.
Old Today, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Also, his average score is now over $77k, which was the previous single game record.

Can we think of any single stat of his that's more impressive than this? Even if he gets the money record and the longest streak, this average (if it continues) is kind of harder to believe than any of the rest of it.
Old Today, 05:21 AM

Quote:

How about when both teams have the chance to possess?
How about if a team loses the toss their defense goes out and does its job? How many iterations are going to be allowed under 'fairness'? Playoff games must
produce a winner. Beyond the field goal on first possession, leave it alone.
Old Today, 06:33 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I heard a news-reader refer to him as Jeopardy James last night. The man is definitely a phenomenon.
Old Today, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Can we think of any single stat of his that's more impressive than this? Even if he gets the money record and the longest streak, this average (if it continues) is kind of harder to believe than any of the rest of it.
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but his average is greater than Ken Jennings highest single win.
Old Today, 12:41 PM

Jennings highest daily total was $75k. The record was $77k by Roger Craig. Jeopardy James now has an average of $77,798.

The guy is phenomenal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old Today, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

His average is higher than anyone's highest single win. It being higher than Jennings' is a logical consequence of that.