Old 04-26-2019, 11:45 PM

There's that long-running urban legend about a kid in a record store finding out that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

More likely, he would have found out that he was in another band after the Beatles. And I could definitely see that scenario taking place nowadays, with a youngster finding out that Dave Grohl was in a band before the Foo Fighters.

I also remember seeing, in some fan mag, a picture of Denny Laine doing a handstand on a toilet. (Really.)
Old 04-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Don't forget that there were two albums before Wings formed. McCartney and Ram. Ram had Uncle Albert.

I must defend Wings. I loved almost all of it until maybe the 80s. John was just too self-absorbed and too angry (and just too not writing good songs) George was too lost in the far East, and Ringo was too drunk and too limited in talent to sustain a solo career.

John writes "How Do You Sleep", and Paul writes "Silly Love Songs." I know which one I like more. And what's wrong with that?
Let's not forget 'Imagine'
Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Agreed, generally (a few megastars--Genesis w/ Gabriel, Bowie, Elton--deserved the accolades), but I still enjoy threads like this one because it's like anthropology. I've never enjoyed the Beatles' work, and even less their individual efforts. But the fact is they speak to an element of humanity which I either don't possess or don't value--and I wonder why that is. This is like therapy for me.
I could list a billion fantastic pre-punk 70's songs. From one genre only if i had too.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Yeah, but Elton John sucks. I’ll take “Crackerbox Palace” or even “Photograph” over the whole damn Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album to my desert island.
Dude. No. Just... no.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I still enjoy threads like this one because it's like anthropology. I've never enjoyed the Beatles' work, and even less their individual efforts. But the fact is they speak to an element of humanity which I either don't possess or don't value--and I wonder why that is. This is like therapy for me.
One thing you probably don't understand about the Beatles phenomena is the timing. No one planned on the Beatles appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show 79 days after the JFK assassination, but it started among the youth of the USA a strong message that the national period of mourning was OVER. They played happy songs and smiled and laughed while they were performing. And they looked new and different.

Before them, in America it was doo wop, boy and girl teen idols, car/surf bands, and folk singers.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
Before them, in America it was doo wop, boy and girl teen idols, car/surf bands, and folk singers.
Right. There had been a surge of good, new music in the mid-late 50s. Then the teen idols and crap took over. Don't forget the "dance craze" of the month.

People like Dick Clark played a major role in this. They wanted safe, blah stuff. When Clark first heard The Beatles he realized they were "only" recycling Buddy Holly stuff and didn't care for them.

Which is one reason they were perfect for the time. Bring back the good type of music with an updated feel.

The more the studios, Dick Clark types, etc. decide what type of music is popular, the worse the hit music. When stuff breaks out of their control, that's when things get good.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Let's not forget 'Imagine'
How can we? It's ubiquitous. And insidious.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:20 PM

I think the turning point was just before they set off to record Band on the Run, when everyone but Denny Laine (and Linda) quit before departing for Nigeria, where McCartney had taken it into his head to record. The pressure helped make the album his best to that point, but it also marked the moment when Wings went from being a passable band to whoever was in the room with McCartney when the red light went on.

That being said, one of my favorite Wings tunes is actually not even one of McCartney's: "Medicine Jar" from Venus and Mars.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
One thing you probably don't understand about the Beatles phenomena is the timing. No one planned on the Beatles appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show 79 days after the JFK assassination, but it started among the youth of the USA a strong message that the national period of mourning was OVER. They played happy songs and smiled and laughed while they were performing. And they looked new and different.

John Fogerty expressed it pretty well in his song I Saw It On T.V.

"We gathered round to hear the sound comin' on the little screen
The grief had passed, the old men laughed, and all the girls screamed
'Cause four guys from England took us all by the hand
It was time to laugh, time to sing, time to join the band"
Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Right. There had been a surge of good, new music in the mid-late 50s. Then the teen idols and crap took over. Don't forget the "dance craze" of the month.

People like Dick Clark played a major role in this. They wanted safe, blah stuff. When Clark first heard The Beatles he realized they were "only" recycling Buddy Holly stuff and didn't care for them.

Which is one reason they were perfect for the time. Bring back the good type of music with an updated feel.

The more the studios, Dick Clark types, etc. decide what type of music is popular, the worse the hit music. When stuff breaks out of their control, that's when things get good.
Quite correct, ftg. The early 1960's was horrendous time for rock 'n' roll and popular music. To hear good stuff you pretty much had to listen to jazz, country, soul, and blues music. I mean James Brown: Live at the Apollo came out in 1962, John Coltrane's My Favorite Things came out in 1960, and Patsy McCline recorded some wonderful songs, but they weren't rock and roll.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Born in late 1960. I remember Wings not being taken particularly seriously. “His wife is on keys? What do you bet the roadies never plug her in?”

As a solid teenage John Man, I thought albums like Walls and Bridges and Mind Games were miles above anything Paul was cranking out in the mid ‘70s. George was doing better stuff, too: see “This Song” and “Crackerbox Palace.”
Not taken seriously by whom? The critics? You and your friends? I'll tell you who did take them seriously: the fans. Wings were fucking HUGE!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

He loved that woman-That's why she was on stage, and I never had a problem with that.