Old 05-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

"Thanos" means "death". The a- prefix means "without". It seems strange to me that the Greeks would drop something so significant in forming a nickname, but shrug, people do strange things.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:09 AM

Just got back from seeing it. Seems like it wrapped up a lot of things well. They managed a lot of references, and even bringing back characters from all the movies, which was nice.

Way too much Hawkeye.

Chris Evans was really phoning it in. RDJ puts so much into his performance. He brings the character to life, like it's a real person. Pretty impressive for a comic book movie. I started crying as soon as we saw his daughter, because it meant he was going to die. Didn't expect Nat's death. I kept waiting for there to be some kind of public recognition for her, but it never came. I guess she was a secret spy, and doesn't even have any family, so her death just stays off the radar. I can rationalise it, but it does reinforce the idea that she was a second-class citizen.

I liked all the female characters turning up behind Captain Marvel, even though it was forced. It was like they were saying "we just killed off Nat, but we do still have some other female characters for you to get behind". Also it was a nice moment of solidarity. Not just women kicking ass, but women looking out for each other. That was a really strong theme in the Captain Marvel movie as well.

Wasn't sure what to make of Nebula. It was like she was in a different movie. Everyone else is in this action blockbuster and she is in some fucked up horror movie, full of twisted relationships and constant torture and despair.

Banner looked very cartoony. Not sure why they had him like for the whole movie. Really enjoyed the Ancient One knocking him out of his Hulk self, so that he had to actually use his words.

I'm very sad to lose RDJ from future movies. Not sure that anyone else can make a character half as interesting.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Nah, we'd all be worshiping Thanos, setting up shrines to Thanos, thanking Thanos on a daily basis. That was the whole point after all - a grateful universe worshiping Thanos. He stated that was his ultimate goal in both movies.
Yeah, well, his first plan didn't work out the way he expected either.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
Didn't expect Nat's death. I kept waiting for there to be some kind of public recognition for her, but it never came. I guess she was a secret spy, and doesn't even have any family, so her death just stays off the radar. I can rationalise it, but it does reinforce the idea that she was a second-class citizen.
I agree. It was highlighted by the way they gave us a major funeral scene for Tony Stark and only an off-handed mention for the other main character who died. This made no sense within the story because it had been made clear that Natasha Romanov had been much more actively involved with the other characters in the last five years than Stark had.

My personal opinion is that this is a sign that Natasha Romanov isn't really dead in the minds of the writers. She's only dead in the way that Phil Coulson, Loki, Gamora, Bucky Barnes, Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Spiderman, Black Panther, Dr Strange, Groot, Nick Fury again, Bucky Barnes again, are dead - ie dead until they bring them back to life.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I agree. It was highlighted by the way they gave us a major funeral scene for Tony Stark and only an off-handed mention for the other main character who died. This made no sense within the story because it had been made clear that Natasha Romanov had been much more actively involved with the other characters in the last five years than Stark had.

My personal opinion is that this is a sign that Natasha Romanov isn't really dead in the minds of the writers. She's only dead in the way that Phil Coulson, Loki, Gamora, Bucky Barnes, Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Spiderman, Black Panther, Dr Strange, Groot, Nick Fury again, Bucky Barnes again, are dead - ie dead until they bring them back to life.
Given that a Black Widow film is supposed to be in the works, that's a reasonable assumption. RDJ got his funeral scene because he ain't coming back. Period.

I think the same can be said of why Chris Evans got that weird time loop ending.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I've already seen speculations that when Steve Rogers voluntarily returned the Soul Stone that meant Natasha Romanov came back to life.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I've already seen speculations that when Steve Rogers voluntarily returned the Soul Stone that meant Natasha Romanov came back to life.
I would pay good money to see that 10 minute interaction with RedSkull.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I would pay good money to see that 10 minute interaction with RedSkull.
One little thing that bothered me with the film - why didn't two highly experienced SHIELD agents recognize Johann Schmidt? I mean, it's not as if he lacked distinctive features. He even spoke to them in German!
Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I dunno. It's an Infinity Stone, not a library book or a coat check. "Going to hold the soul as collateral but bring it back and we're cool" seems as though it blunts the whole sacrifice angle.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-19-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I dunno. It's an Infinity Stone, not a library book or a coat check. "Going to hold the soul as collateral but bring it back and we're cool" seems as though it blunts the whole sacrifice angle.
Even with an analogy to something as mundane as a library book or a coat check, it maybe still fits; ever use a self-service locker where you (a) put in a coin to pop out the key, thereby locking its door; and then you (b) later use the pop-out key to unlock the door, securing that key right back in place for the next guy who’d sure like to put in a coin and walk off with the key for as long as he pleases?

Getting that key means paying the price — but that doesn’t need to mean there’s a refund for putting the key back, is my point.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Given that a Black Widow film is supposed to be in the works, that's a reasonable assumption.
I believe the BW movie is going to be a prequel, though I've heard conflicting reports as to when it will be set. (2006, and right after Civil War)

ETA: Not that this proves she will stay dead. Death in comics is more like a bad flu than real life death.

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 05-19-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

It might be that Steve Rogers is the first person in the Universe to ever voluntarily give up the Soul Stone, so there's no precedent for what's supposed to happen.

Alessan, to be fair, he doesn't have much in the way of distinctive facial features.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 PM

I just saw the movie this weekend and just finished reading the this thread. I liked the movie a lot. Some specific thoughts:

1. With the way the conversation between The Hulk and The Ancient One was heading I thought for sure she was going to insist to head into the future to accompany the stone to ensure its safe return.

2. As far as why you have to snap your fingers to activate The Infinity Gauntlet my theory is that it is a safety mechanism to alert the gems you consciously want to use them in concert. So you can avoid inadvertently activating them together with a stray idea or thought.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
One little thing that bothered me with the film - why didn't two highly experienced SHIELD agents recognize Johann Schmidt? I mean, it's not as if he lacked distinctive features. He even spoke to them in German!
He just looks different somehow than he does in the files from World War II.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Oh, and something I've been thinking about:

Quote:
Quoth Miller:

Stark doesn't have a "standard" armor at this point in the franchise: his armor is a swarm of nanobots. He designed the glove that Banner used to reverse the snap - clearly, the tech that went into that glove was also programmed into his armor, which can reform itself to suit whatever function Tony needs from it. Granted, it doesn't have the mythic romance to "forged in the heart of a neutron star by a really tall Tyrion Lannister," but Tony is explicitly one of the greatest inventors in history. It's not actually a discontinuity that he can build an Infinity Gauntlet. Particularly given that he had access to Thanos' damaged one from Infinity War to work from.
As Rocket said, "You're only a genius on Earth". Most of what he comes up with is old hat to Rocket, or to the Asgardians. Mjollnir is explicitly a mystery to him, and the unadorned Gauntlet is the same level of tech.

Besides which, even by Earth standards, he isn't all that great. What fundamental technologies has he invented? The repulsor beam and the arc reactor were both created by his father. Nanotech he probably got from the Wakandans (they had it before he did, and he didn't get it until after Wakanda started opening up to the world). His AI skills aren't bad, but the only true AIs he ever made (Ultron and Vision) owed as much to the Mind Stone as to him. The time machine was his biggest accomplishment, but that was mostly Pym's work, which he's unable to replicate. He's very good at applying fundamental breakthroughs made by others, but I can't think of any fundamental breakthroughs he himself has made.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 AM

Yeah, I think of Tony Stark as mostly being an engineer. Really smart, excellent understanding of fundamental principles, but better at applying them rather than thinking of something new. Even in the case of figuring out "time travel" in the Realm of the Really, Really Small, he was just playing with what others had conceived trying to make it work out.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
He just looks different somehow than he does in the files from World War II.
Right, he's some other creepy red skinless German.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
It was too. damn. long. By the end I was wondering whether it wouldn't be better off for everyone to let Thanos destroy the universe.
I have to say, having just come from seeing the movie, I'm not so sure Thanos was wrong in killing off half the Avengers. Definitely felt like less bouncing around various storylines.

Heehee...Fat Thor. So now Thor was "meant to be" fat drunk and stupid and not the King of Asgard?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Right, he's some other creepy red skinless German.
I don't know who's whooshing who at this point but I was making a joke about how a different actor is playing the character.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Heck, Jesus was only dead for a long weekend and he got a whole religion out of it.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Yeah, I think of Tony Stark as mostly being an engineer. Really smart, excellent understanding of fundamental principles, but better at applying them rather than thinking of something new. Even in the case of figuring out "time travel" in the Realm of the Really, Really Small, he was just playing with what others had conceived trying to make it work out.
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs didn't invent computers. They just iterated on existing technology in new and profound ways. Stephen Hawking didn't invent ANYTHING AFAIK.

Stark's "power" is that he is always the "smartest" person in the room, regardless of if he is on Earth or on some planet with technology millennia ahead of ours where they teach quantum physics in grade school as "shit primitive societies used to believe". His other power is that he can apply any technology to solve any problem within the timeframe of the plot. Need to build a prototype Iron Man suit out of junk? Done. Connect some dots (both figuratively and literally) and invent time travel. No problem.

Another thing that kind of bothered me. How come no conventional Earth military showed up once Thanos' ship arrived in Upstate New York? Why just superheroes and Wakandans? General "Thunderbolt" Ross doesn't have some sort of Rapid Deployment Force on standby for taking out the Hulk or rogue Avengers or out of control robot armies or yet another alien invasion?

And speaking of Thanos' big ship. No one is concerned about a city-sized ship crashing into the planet and destroying everything like...I don't know...what Ultron tried to do with the city of Novi Grad, Sokovia? Sure, it wasn't that high so it's not going to reach orbital velocities before it hits. I still wouldn't want to be fighting under it when it lands.

Last edited by msmith537; 05-25-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Stark was not able to fix the ship he and Nebula were on at the beginning of the movie (they got a few kiloparsecs out of it, but not enough), but later in the movie, it is fixed, presumably by Rocket.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:49 PM

Well, Stark couldn't fix it with the tools he had, but once they were rescued by Danvers (and I'm unclear how she found them, or indeed how she navigates interstellar space at all, but whatever) and returned to Earth, Stark could have patched what needed patching.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
And speaking of Thanos' big ship. No one is concerned about a city-sized ship crashing into the planet and destroying everything like...I don't know...what Ultron tried to do with the city of Novi Grad, Sokovia?
I'm sure they are, but less concerned than they'd be about a city sized spacecraft blowing shit up with its cannons. Goes back to this not being a clean happy victory for the Avengers. People died, stuff got ruined, people are going to have to readjust to either losing five years of time or to having 50% of the world pop back in. I liked that aspect of the story -- it would have been super easy to just rewind the tape, make Thanos lose in Infinity War and everyone has a party. This was a braver way to present it; victory at a deep cost.