Old 04-24-2019, 01:16 PM

Live reboot of All in the Family/Jeffersons

Jimmy Kimmel and Norman Lear are producing a live 90-minute reboot of All in the Family and The Jeffersonss, which will air on ABC, May 22.

Gonna star Woody Harrelson as Archie, Marisa Tomei as Edith, Ellie Kemper as Gloria, Jamie Foxx as George, Wanda Sykes as Louise, Will Ferrell as Tom Willis.

I gotta say, I'm probably more excited about this than I should be. The people involved give me hope that it'll be done well, and it's a pretty top-notch bunch of actors. From the little bit that I've read, it sounds like it's going to be a modern update (like the recently-redone One Day At A Time), but not sure.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 04-24-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I'll watch it. I wouldn't have guessed at any of those actors, but I'm sure they'll all do fine.
I hope Will plays Tom as a straight man instead of way over the top like so many of his characters are.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:38 PM

A voice of mild dissent: Does the world really NEED a reboot of a show that was meant to be a reaction to the times, when those times were 50 years ago? And if they update the show to be a modern equivalent (Archie is a trump supporter, Meathead does youtube videos (in the basement!) that no one watches, etc), then isn't that just a different show, and using the name is just a crass attempt to suck in viewers on false pretenses?

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 04-24-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:54 PM

It's not a reboot or an update. More of a tribute:

Quote:
The live event will re-create an original episode from both of the Emmy-winning Lear comedies.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
A voice of mild dissent: Does the world really NEED a reboot of a show that was meant to be a reaction to the times, when those times were 50 years ago? And if they update the show to be a modern equivalent (Archie is a trump supporter, Meathead does youtube videos (in the basement!) that no one watches, etc), then isn't that just a different show, and using the name is just a crass attempt to suck in viewers on false pretenses?
They're not remaking it, it's just a one off production. It would be similar to seeing a stage production of the shows. If I'm understanding it correctly, it's live as well. Similar to Grease and Jesus Christ Super Star and RHPC and a few others that have come out in the past few years.

As for whether or not they'll modernize it, I have no idea.

ETA, and the times being 50 years ago (if it's not updated) won't matter since plenty of people, at least my age an older, watched it back when it was on and/or still watch the reruns.

Last edited by Joey P; 04-24-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:00 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Neither show was perfect. Carroll O’Connor was perfect in the show. You can’t improve on perfection.

It was fascinating to hear Lear speak about how uncomfortable and unconfident O’Connor was with his performance.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Gonna star Woody Harrelson as Archie, Marisa Tomei as Edith, Ellie Kemper as Gloria, Jamie Foxx as George, Wanda Sykes as Louise, Will Ferrell as Tom Willis.

Produced by Jimmy Kimmel and Norman Lear? I, too, have high hopes. I'm not generally a Will Farrell fan, and would normally balk at a tribute of this sort, but I can see this being very good. What an unexpected lineup of talent.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
It's not a reboot or an update. More of a tribute:
Cool! That was my initial hope, but started to think they were gonna do a one-time re-boot like One Day at a Time.

I'd like to see them do "Archie and the Editorial," just to see this bit of comedy gold on prime time again.

Wonder who they'll get to play the Meathead.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 04-24-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:32 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Quote:
The live event will re-create an original episode from both of the Emmy-winning Lear comedies.
Oh, so it will be like Gus Van Sant's tribute to Psycho.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:18 AM

We've got a Meathead!

Some of the newest additions:
Michael Stivic: Ike Barinholtz
Frank Lorenzo: Sean Hayes
Anthony Anderson: Henry Jefferson
Old 05-11-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post

I'd like to see them do "Archie and the Editorial," just to see this bit of comedy gold on prime time again.
Read the comments section in the link for a nice chaser of depression. Apparently, a lot of people think passing out pistols will stop school shootings.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Oh, so it will be like Gus Van Sant's tribute to Psycho.
Or The Greatest Event in Television History.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:15 AM

I often cite All in the Family as my favorite show of all time.

I am uneasy about this news.

mmm

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 05-11-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I often cite All in the Family as my favorite show of all time.

I am uneasy about this news.

mmm
I'm with you. I loved that show. My sisters and I had to beg my dad to let us watch it. He thought it was very inappropriate for kids. We always won the fight.

I know I'll end up being disappointed, irritated or both, but I'm way too curious not to watch.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 PM

I was balking a bit about how Marissa Tomei does not look old enough to play Edith, but then I went to Jean Stapleton's Wikipedia page, and it seems she looked just about as young in 1977, 6 years after she started playing Edith.

I guess the voice (and maybe some makeup and her hair) and being married to Archie who looked every bit of Carroll O'Connor's age made her seem older. The latter definitely worked with Vivian Vance as Ethel Mertz.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 PM

Weren't those CBS properties? I'm surprised that this is showing on ABC.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I guess the voice (and maybe some makeup and her hair) and being married to Archie who looked every bit of Carroll O'Connor's age made her seem older.
::checks wiki::

O’Connor was in his forties for the first four seasons?
Old Today, 01:24 PM

Reminder! Reminder! The 90-minute special airs live tonight on ABC. Unfortunately I won't be able to see it live, but hopefully it'll be streaming on-demand on either ABC or Hulu tomorrow.

Here's an article from a woman who attended the final rehearsal. From what she says, it's done very well.

Quote:
On Tuesday night, I got the honor of attending the final taped run-through of the live show. Admittedly, as a huge fan of both series, I did bristle at the thought of recreating what could never truly be recreated. But, after the great energy of our warm-up guy (hey Roger!) and the talented performances of folks like Foxx (my God, I’ll never tire of lauding how talented and versatile this man is), Tomei (her Edith is crazy good), Sykes, and Woody Harrelson, I became more content with the fact that this isn’t so much a replacement as it is a reverence.
Old Today, 08:10 PM

Tomei is/was fantastic as Edith. Woody was OK as Archie, but anyone who tries to be Archie and isn't just sounds like they're doing a bad impression anyway...so I'll cut him some slack.

I know literally nothing about The Jeffersons, but Wanda Sykes seems to be doing the best. Jamie Foxx has already screwed up, but he definitely addressed it. It broke the 4th wall a bit much for my taste, but it was fine.

Did they bleep something out? What? Why?