Old 05-13-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Are you maybe thinking of 9 1/2 Weeks?
Yep. I accidentally typed in "8 1/2 weeks" into Google, to confirm that it was what I thought it was before I wrote my post then failed to notice that the top result was for 9 1/2 weeks.

Ignore that.

I've probably seen the name of the film around, but possibly ignored it because I had made the same mistake. (My dad was a fan of "weeks".)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 PM

Looking at the full top 100, I am somewhat impressed by how few of them I have seen or even heard of (given that I had at least seen half of the top 10 and I think that I'm pretty well-covered on something like the IMDB top 100 and other lists that I have seen historically).

Considering how tightly the years are clustered and the presence of movies like Husbands - which seems to be just some relatively decent film from its era, of no great note otherwise - I'm inclined to think that we're looking at an age issue:

40s: 2%
50s: 21%
60s: 30%
70s: 24%
80s: 10%

I'd say that it's safe to say that most of the directors polled were born in the late 40s/early 50s.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

My off-hand guess was that most of the directors polled were born earlier than that, Sage Rat. To check if that was true, I found a list of all the film-related people who voted in this poll. Remember, the list we've been looking at is based on just the directors who voted in the poll. This is the list of all the voters:

https://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-peop...oll2012/voters

I went through the poll and checked a few of the directors by looking up the years they were born in the IMDb. To my surprise, in the set of directors I had time to check, the average birth year was more like in the mid-1960's. So my guess was actually further off than yours, Sage Rat. If someone wants to check all 358 directors who voted in the poll, please do so and tell us what the average birth year is.