Old 04-28-2019, 03:36 PM

Game of Thrones 8.03 "The Long Night" 4/28/19 [Show discussion]

No book talk. This is for discussion of the show. Using book knowledge to guess about the ending of the show is the perfect thing to discuss in this show/book thread, not this one.

Open spoilers about the show once it begins airing on the east coast/streaming in a few hours. If you have an actual spoiler (taken from leaks from cast interviews or gossip magazines or whatever) that would be an appropriate use for a spoiler box. A few of us would prefer that if you want to talk about plot points revealed in "next week on..." promos you warn people that you'll be discussing that first. Thank you.

Previous thread (with links to previous seasons found in the first OP of the season):

8.01 "Winterfell"
8.02 "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms"

Show/book open spoilers discussion thread
Old 04-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Show/book open spoilers discussion thread
Corrected link.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:57 PM

I am not ready and am afraid.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:51 PM

I'm not looking forward to this episode at all. Mainly because I expect some characters I care about to die, but also because it's apparently going to be nothing but battle battle battle for an hour and 20 minutes. <sigh>

But at least the news snippets about the battle taking place at night, and with a snow storm on top of it!, and then likely scenes set in a dimly lit crypt finally got me to find out how to adjust my monitor's settings. Brightness to 100. Contrast to 90. I may actually be able to make out some faces here and there. Yay.

(I have partially impaired vision, making many of the 'atmospheric' episodes of GoT into radio plays. Like that one where they were sieging the Tully's castle. For me, at least twenty minutes of it were black screen with occasional fuzzy torches in the back ground. If not for the comments here, I would never have known that Brienne and Podrick rowed away in the boat at the end.)
Old 04-28-2019, 04:52 PM

I know this seems like an obvious suggestion, but have you considered cranking up the gamma on whatever you watch it on?
Old 04-28-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I know this seems like an obvious suggestion, but have you considered cranking up the gamma on whatever you watch it on?
Uh, no. Because I have no idea what gamma is, how it affects things? (Sorry, oldie, as in I remember when televisions had horizontal and vertical hold controls.)

On poking around, I see something on the menu labeled "gamma" and another labeled "gamma 1" -- I should crank one of them up? Or both?
Old 04-28-2019, 05:11 PM

Hmm, a quick googling gives me conflicting information on gamma vs brightness. This has some explanation. The pictures reflect how it works in video games, but other definitions seem to indicate that this isn't how it works on TVs.

I'm not sure what gamma/gamma 1 on your TV do. You may just want to experiment to see if you get good results. If it works like it does in video games, it could result in a more useful effect than just cranking up the brightness, although that's an option too.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:21 PM

Maybe try watching this (lots of blues and greys) while adjusting your monitor.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:03 PM

Ah, that worked great, thanks SenorBeef! Thank you to GreysonCarlisle, too, that was a useful video to practice with.

If anyone cares, there was really only one gamma adjustment, the 'gamma 1' was just the setting it was on, I guess, because it changed as I tinkered.

Anyway, I found a setting that looks very, very much better to my eyes, even with the brightness and contrast shifted back down to something more normal. Maybe I will actually be able to tell who is dying tonight.

Hmm. Maybe I should figure out which episode that Tully siege was, and see what was going on....
Old 04-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Maybe I will actually be able to tell who is dying tonight.
That's easy.

Everybody!
Old 04-28-2019, 06:44 PM

I only hope that they make it too confusing to figure out whats going on.
I dont know what to think what to think.

On one hand we have 4 long episodes to go, so they cant really rush the battles otherwise theres nothing to tell before the last episode but on the other hand so far the all the battles so far have been pretty short and to the point so I dont know whats going to happen tonight.
I only hope that Tyrion makes it to the end.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:22 PM

I hope there's something interesting that lets the North win, or I want the Night's King to win. A battle like Battle of the Bastards or at Castle Black is significantly less interesting to me.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Watching it now. Man, this is dark....like literally, my tv is fine, but this episode is pitch black.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Game of Fog
Old 04-28-2019, 09:12 PM

I'm like 25 minutes behind. So this may look stupid if everyone dies in 15 minutes and you guys saw it. But they should've killed major characters early on. It would've ramped up the stakes and tension. Boom - 2 major characters dead right off the bat. Brienne, Tormund, Jorah, Grey Worm, the Hound. Kill some of them and we start wondering whose next. I'm kind of underwhelmed with no tension so far. Feels very safe.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 PM

This episode has been stunningly tedious.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:20 PM

Yeah, not a fan of that episode. No real big deaths, they win just by stabbing the guy, it looked bad, and the action sequences were not fun or imaginative.

Going into this season I had very low hopes. Last episode raised them some, but I see that was misplaced.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

I would suggest to see this as two episodes.

First half was not well done.

Second half was actually quite good.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:24 PM

Not a great episode here. They fall into the cliche where they build it up like everyone is going to die but then are miraculously saved as the (literal) last minute with deus ex Arya. And the rest of it had a lot of waiting. And you know when you have the dead all lined up waiting, it'd be nice if you had a dragon to light them on fire... Oh well, on to King's Landing.

But Melissandre was a boss.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

So the deaths are:

SPOILER:
Jorrah, Melissandre, Theon, Leanna Mormont, Resurrection-man, Edd(?)

Is that right or did I miss something?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:27 PM

The constant shots of all the main characters getting overwhelmed by the dead and absolutely nothing happening to them made the whole thing ridiculous. When the dust settles and the only people standing are all the important characters you know this isn't the old GoT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
So the deaths are:

SPOILER:

If resurrection man is Beric, than I think that's it.

I don't know who is dead because I couldn't see shit even with bright up and lights off.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:28 PM

Wow...that did not go the way i thought it would so i guess in that its a surprise. They misdirected my expectations so much they actually won normally.

Well....the problem with that is we go back to Throning and i was hoping to have a running battle to the end. Also they misdirected us by making us think they'd lose this whole time by 'leaking' that Winterfell was destroyed.

So onto are they alive?: Sam, Gilly, Little Sam...and most important Jons dragon? I think Jons dragon is dead.

I know a lot of you didnt like it and i can already hear the howling on the AV Club but I quite liked it. The sneaky Arya in library scene was kind of "Well this is padding". And I actually called for NK to die this way. Just thought it would be the last ep and Arya would be a faceless ghoul. Im glad it was Arya. Makes sense since she seemed to have a destiny.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:28 PM

Not the best episode, IMO. But I'm glad the threat of the White Walkers is over. It just wasn't that interesting of a storyline. Scary, but not particularly interesting compared to what Game of Thrones does best. Much more opportunity for good storytelling now that they can focus on human vs human conflicts.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:29 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

So Arya is Azor Ahai now?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Wow...that did not go the way i thought it would so i guess in that its a surprise. They misdirected my expectations so much they actually won normally.

Well....the problem with that is we go back to Throning and i was hoping to have a running battle to the end. Also they misdirected us by making us think they'd lose this whole time by 'leaking' that Winterfell was destroyed.

So onto are they alive?: Sam, Gilly, Little Sam...and most important Jons dragon? I think Jons dragon is dead.

I know a lot of you didnt like it and i can already hear the howling on the AV Club but I quite liked it. The sneaky Arya in library scene was kind of "Well this is padding". And I actually called for NK to die this way. Just thought it would be the last ep and Arya would be a faceless ghoul. Im glad it was Arya. Makes sense since she seemed to have a destiny.
I'm pretty Jon's dragon (Rhaegal since I'm a GoT/ASOIAF nerd) is alive, both since he didn't get an obvious death scene (like all the other dead characters) and because I think we saw him in the preview for the next episode.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I don't know wtf even happened to Jon's dragon, one second it looked like it was winning the fight with the undead dragon and the next its crash landing.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:31 PM

That was ... unsatisfying. I feel like they all should have been dead dozens of times over.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:35 PM

By the end there it was like...well theres only two ways to go. And man...had they killed everyone but say, Jon...THAT would really have been a stunner. For a few minutes I thought they really were gonna kill everyone.

The "Im being overwhelmed and then saved at the last second trope" (Or, Thor arrives In Wakanda-IW spoiler not Endgame) was definitely overused.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I'm pretty Jon's dragon (Rhaegal since I'm a GoT/ASOIAF nerd) is alive, both since he didn't get an obvious death scene (like all the other dead characters) and because I think we saw him in the preview for the next episode.
I think that was Drogon after he shook all the dead off. I believe Rhaegal killed the Night King's dragon (I think the head was ripped off) and then the Night King raised Rhaegal at the end (fighting Jon Snow) at the end.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

I am very tired of overly-long battles that are badly lit and confusingly shot and/or edited. Best part of Infinity War was having battles in well-light conditions. I agree with the criticisms of it being tedious and having the Night King being a load-bearing boss (not quite the right trope but I can't think of an exact match) means the audience spends minutes just sitting there guessing who's going to get the one-hit kill.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
So Arya is Azor Ahai now?
Like all prophecies, Im just fine with that being a load of shit. LIke i said earlier...Im fine with people having a sort of destiny like her, and Clegane maybe.... But once you start twisting prophecy to your own needs it becomes shit.

all IMO of course.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think that was Drogon after he shook all the dead off. I believe Rhaegal killed the Night King's dragon (I think the head was ripped off) and then the Night King raised Rhaegal at the end (fighting Jon Snow) at the end.

Drogon shook the dead off; I'm pretty sure we didn't see Rhaegal again after he crashed and Jon was on the ground. According to my TV closed captions, the dragon Jon was fighting at the end was Viserion (the captions would say "Viserion roars").

Also, I'm almost positive I saw two dragons flying in the preview for the next episode.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Eeek. Hadn't thought of that. That sucks.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:40 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Not a great episode here. They fall into the cliche where they build it up like everyone is going to die but then are miraculously saved as the (literal) last minute with deus ex Arya.
There was some question whether there might have been some other way to beat them in the first half, but once the dead got over the walls and overwhelmed everyone it was obvious the only possible way to win was to take out the Night King. So that was a given. The only question was the misdirection in thinking Jon was going to do it instead of Arya.
Charter Member

Dude on reddit said this:

Quote:
Just a hunch- NK is still alive in Bran. I swear he was helping NK throughout the episode.

As soon as Theon mentioned the trench was lit, Bran went warg and sent the crows. The moment they reached NK he motioned and his army bypassed the trench.

Later on, the way the editing was done, made it seem like Bran was controlling the Ice Dragon for a while.
No, right? NK was going to kill Bran with that sword....so....no....right?
Charter Member

Only one question.

Where the hell did Arya drop from?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Drogon shook the dead off; I'm pretty sure we didn't see Rhaegal again after he crashed and Jon was on the ground. According to my TV closed captions, the dragon Jon was fighting at the end was Viserion (the captions would say "Viserion roars").
Plus, I thought the dragon looked pretty decomposed. Rhaegal would have been freshly killed if it had been him.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Only one question.

Where the hell did Arya drop from?
[headcanon]Bran knew to sit under that one Weirwood branch that extends within reach of the window of the Winterfell tower she was in earlier. [/headcanon]

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 04-28-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:44 PM

Fuck forgot about Ghost. Hope we at least see him get buried next ep. What a shitty way to go
Old 04-28-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
There was some question whether there might have been some other way to beat them in the first half, but once the dead got over the walls and overwhelmed everyone it was obvious the only possible way to win was to take out the Night King. So that was a given. The only question was the misdirection in thinking Jon was going to do it instead of Arya.
I don't think it's a given. I would have loved (and hated) it if the dead killed everyone in Winterfell. Would have make sense too.

Quote:
Fuck forgot about Ghost. Hope we at least see him get buried next ep. What a shitty way to go
Ghost didn't get a death scene, plus he may have briefly been in the preview for next ep. Major players (and their warg animals/dragons) don't die without a death scene, I'm 99% sure.

And i guess Ghost died as he lived, off screen.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Also, I'm almost positive I saw two dragons flying in the preview for the next episode.
Ah, well that answers that. Well that's even one less major death... Makes it even more silly.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
So the deaths are:

SPOILER:

I thought Pod died right at the beginning. It looked like Brienne tried to help him but couldn't. Did I just spend the whole episode being sad about Pod and he's not dead?

And we didn't see Ghost again after the Dothraki charged.

I don't like battle episodes but I thought that was intense. I scared the cats a few times.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:48 PM

I'm glad the Jaimie/Brienne ship is still afloat, but honestly I wish more people would have died. The consequences of the whole thing seem kinda underwhelming, especially considering how intact and populated Winterfell looks in the preview for the next episode.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:49 PM

I think the best stuff was the Arya hiding scene. Most of the up close brawling was too confusing and too dark for me to follow.

Fuck, I don't even remember seeing Pod. Damn I guess he's dead since we didn't see him fight forever.

The music was really good, and the Dothraki charge was visually gorgeous though utterly pointless and wasteful.