Old 04-28-2019, 09:51 PM

Did anyone else think that Bran would turn out to be Arya doing the face thing?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Fuck, I don't even remember seeing Pod. Damn I guess he's dead since we didn't see him fight forever.
He was fine.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't follow everything, given how dark it was. I'm going to read all the recaps just to learn what I missed.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldris bal Comar View Post
I'm glad the Jaimie/Brienne ship is still afloat, but honestly I wish more people would have died. The consequences of the whole thing seem kinda underwhelming, especially considering how intact and populated Winterfell looks in the preview for the next episode.
Yeah, if it had been truly Martinesque I'd have thought we'd see at least two main players from a list like Tyrion, Sansa, Jaime, Brienne, Jon, Danerys, or Arya buy it.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:53 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prize View Post
Now that would have been noteworthy!
Charter Member

Lighting the Dothraki arakhs(sp?) was cool, as was the trench. Mel proves useful, even if the Dothraki didn't do a lot.
"Stick em with the pointy end"
Theon, Jorah, and Lyanna Mormont got heroic deaths.
Drogon is alive, not so sure about Rhaegal

I for one did not tire of the battle, and I agree then can be tiring.
Winterfell folks for sure alive: Jon, Dany, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Tyrion, Davos. Probably Varys
Probably alive: Brienne, Jaime
I am sure I'm forgetting folks

I did NOT see the NK defeated this episode, Negotiating with Cersei is at least possible, if not likely.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Watching it now. Man, this is dark....like literally, my tv is fine, but this episode is pitch black.
I wonder if this decision made the special effects cheaper or more expensive. Also, House Mormont may be dead now, but holy fuck Lyanna took a giant wight with her!
Old 04-28-2019, 09:54 PM

All the character defending the castle and surviving against the odds is make up for the Dothraki dying a bit to quickly. This is the second of three episodes that didn’t live up to expectations.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Plus, I thought the dragon looked pretty decomposed. Rhaegal would have been freshly killed if it had been him.
I believe Jon's dragon was shown ripping out a massive chunk of the undead dragon's neck, which knocked the NK off to the ground. As the undead dragon fell, it somewhat deeply gashed Jon's dragon's chest, which then crash landed, dropping Jon.

Later, when Jon turns to stand and face the de-necked undead dragon, they gave us a glamour shot of the missing neck.

I think. I dunno, it was very dark.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 04-28-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:57 PM

So exactly how are 20,000 golden company fuckers supposed to defeat two dragons and ...what are player characters in Diablo called? Nephalem. The good guys have some 10 Nephalem left alive. 20,000 troops cant do shit against that.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
So Arya is Azor Ahai now?
Thatís what I was wondering. Now I want to go back and read all the prophesies to see if that fits.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 PM

So the Dothraki went down like bitches (what, no dragon-glass scythes?), the Unsullied are down to, what? One guy? The folk in the crypt seemed untouched mostly (despite all reason). Seems like there's maybe 75 people left in all of Winterfell. And they all should be dead 10x over.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:59 PM

Old 04-28-2019, 09:59 PM

Edd is dead.
Read elsewhare-- Bran to Arya: Still only counts as one!
Old 04-28-2019, 10:01 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Edd is dead.
Read elsewhare-- Bran to Arya: Still only counts as one!
I feel like I need to rewatch Helm's Deep (yes, I know the quote is from the Pelennor) and see if it was this dark and muddled a mess to watch. I don't remember it being so.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
No, because the Night King didn't locate or recognize Bran via reconnaissance or seeing him. He was psychically connected to Bran when he laid his hand upon him, and from that moment on always knew exactly where Bran was at all times. That's what led to the plan of using Bran as bait.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 04-28-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 PM

Edds dead baby. Edds dead.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I don't think there's a need for spoilers about who died and who survived now the episode is over. But since it was so dark and some characters looked like they went down only to pop up again I'm not certain of a few.

Definite deaths:

Jorah
Theon
Edd
Beric
Melisandre
Lyana Mormont
The Night King and his entire army

Definite survivors

Jon
Danaerys
Arya
Bran
Sansa
Jaime
Tyrion
Varys
Missandei
The Hound
Davos

I didn't see these after the wight army was destroyed but assume their deaths would have been more prominent if they died.

Brienne
Sam
Tormund
Grey Worm
Gendry
Pod
Gilly/Little Sam

Last edited by Colibri; 04-28-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
She's ruthless, but she wouldn't kill her little brother to use his face.

I didn't expect what happened either, though. I was expecting a "battle of wits" moment like in Princess Bride. Bran would use his three eyed raven powers to, I don't know, trick the NK somehow.

And I think Jon still could be Azor Ahai, whatever that is. He gathered and led the army of the living against the dead, which is a pretty important role, even if he didn't strike the killing blow.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I think the best stuff was the Arya hiding scene. Most of the up close brawling was too confusing and too dark for me to follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't follow everything, given how dark it was. I'm going to read all the recaps just to learn what I missed.
You know... This series costs millions of dollars. You'd think they would allocate a couple/few hundred for a good light meter. It reminded me of the scene in And God Spoke where the cinematographer said that he has a light meter from a great cinematographer. The latter gave it to him saying, 'You need this more than I do.'
Old 04-28-2019, 10:09 PM

I thought the flaming Dothraki swords was a clever way to accomplish a couple of things:
  1. Give a "bird's eye" view of the opening charge of the battle, and,
  2. Instill a sense of fear and dread as we watch the flames die out in the distance in the ground-level point-of-view shots. Imagine being one of the foot soldiers and watching that happen.
Not afraid to admit that i teared up when Lady Mormont died taking down the giant (was that Wun Wun? Do we know?). Hard. Core.

Also....here's a crazy idea when fighting a piss-slow giant. Don't run into the arc of his swing. Duck under and stab in the ankle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
No, because the Night King didn't locate or recognize Bran via reconnaissance or seeing him. He was psychically connected to Bran when he laid his hand upon him, and from that moment on always knew exactly where Bran was at all times. That's what led to the plan of using Bran as bait.
Also I don't think Arya can wear the faces of living people.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Also....here's a crazy idea when fighting a piss-slow giant. Don't run into the arc of his swing. Duck under and stab in the ankle
They didn't run anywhere, they all just stood there while he stomped them with his mace like whack a mole.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:13 PM

Why did Melisandre killed herself in the end?

I was one of those that got bored... I was disapointed with the night king twist when Danerys tried to toast him to a crisp. So it turns out its not fire vs ice after all.
I am sorry but everyone should have been dead. It would have been impossible for anyone to survive that onslaught of enemies. There was just too many to survive for any amount of time.

Kinda disapointed that Cersei is not going to have to deal with the Night king... meh.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
I don't think she killed herself, she just died from overextending. Or because it was her time.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post

Brienne
Sam
Tormund
Grey Worm
Gendry
Pod
Gilly/Little Sam
We got shots of all of them as the dead were dropping dead, and a group shot of every one alive and well in the crypts at the very end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
I thought Pod died right at the beginning. It looked like Brienne tried to help him but couldn't. Did I just spend the whole episode being sad about Pod and he's not dead?

And we didn't see Ghost again after the Dothraki charged.

I don't like battle episodes but I thought that was intense. I scared the cats a few times.
I just watched that scene again and Brienne was knocked down and yelling "arrrrhhggg". I thought she was yelling "Pod". I said this was one I wouldn't watch again but maybe I should. I think I might have missed some things in all that darkness.

Last edited by aurora maire; 04-28-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Also I don't think Arya can wear the faces of living people.
We have seen Arya's face on Jaquen's body (when he drank the poison to pay for the life) and Arya still has her original face. But fair enough.

Quote:
Definite survivors

Jaime

I didn't see these after the wight army was destroyed but assume their deaths would have been more prominent if they died.

Brienne
Pod
When Arya killed the Night King and the dead fell, we got a 3-shot of Brienne, Jaime and Pod standing next to each other. (They fought together the whole episode.)

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 04-28-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
Her job was done. Her only goal was to stop the Night King.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
Not afraid to admit that i teared up when Lady Mormont died taking down the giant (was that Wun Wun? Do we know?). Hard. Core.
There were a couple of giants with the Army of the Dead when they came through the Wall, so it most likely one of those. However, it thought the giant was missing an eye, and Wun Wun was shot in the eye by Ramsay when he died. I suppose he might have been buried outside Winterfell and was resurrected.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
I feel like I need to rewatch Helm's Deep (yes, I know the quote is from the Pelennor) and see if it was this dark and muddled a mess to watch. I don't remember it being so.
Conversation at our house:

"Uh, Two Towers had the Helm's Deep battle. It was at Night. It was raining. We understood all of it perfectly well and could see everything happening."

This was a foggy, smoky, dark mess. Only the last 30-40 minutes worked.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
We have seen Arya's face on Jaquen's body (when he drank the poison to pay for the life) and Arya still has her original face. But fair enough.
NM read that wrong.

Last edited by DigitalC; 04-28-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:20 PM

If it helps, to me his face looked exactly like Wun Wun's, even including the eye wound that originally killed him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Jaquen was just another face the faceless men used.
Right, but we saw an anonymous faceless man wearing an Arya face, and Arya isn't dead, so it's not strictly necessary to kill someone to wear their face. Though that scene could have just been artistic license, I suppose.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 04-28-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
When Arya killed the Night King and the dead fell, we got a 3-shot of Brienne, Jaime and Pod standing next to each other. (They fought together the whole episode.)
Thanks. I remember the shot. I saw Jaime there, and thought I saw Pod, but wasn't completely sure about Brienne.

Brienne's survival was the most surprising to me. I thought she lead the list of Most Likely to Die. I correctly called Jorah, Theon, and Edd last week. I also got the major survivors right except for Beric. The episode was considerably less decimating than I expected.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:27 PM

Yeah it was weird how it look like Jamie Brianne etc. were completely overtaken by the zombies, and then at the end they were all still alive. While all the non-major characters were dead. Too contrived.

Also predictable that the ancestors would animate in the crypt but handled dispassionately. Was expecting to recognize at least one long lost Stark.

I do appreciate that Arya was the one who killed the night king.

Did Theron’s sister die?

Agreed that it was very difficult to keep track of which dragon we were looking at if they weren’t breathing fire. I know some people who had identical twins and they would put a different color bow on each girl's hair to keep them straight. Would it have been too much to ask to have Rhaegal wear a green bow and Drogon wear a blue bow?

Still holding out hope for Tyrion and Sansa. The only humorous moment in the whole episode was when she told him that he was the best of he4 husbands.

That Jon Snow sure can fight.

Cersei seems pretty tame compared to the NK.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Well I was wrong in last week's thread when I said that i doubted they'd wrap up the White Walker threat this early in the season. But they did. I gather that the remainder of the season will be the Game of Thrones of the title. And several characters have claims on the throne (Dany, Jon, Cersei, Gendry and others perhaps).
Old 04-28-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
Did Theronís sister die?
Yara is in Pyke.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Well I was wrong in last week's thread when I said that i doubted they'd wrap up the White Walker threat this early in the season. But they did. I gather that the remainder of the season will be the Game of Thrones of the title. And several characters have claims on the throne (Dany, Jon, Cersei, Gendry and others perhaps).
Yup. First thing i said when the credits started rolling: "Wait. They won??"
Old 04-28-2019, 10:31 PM

That whole episode was hot garbage.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Brienne's survival was the most surprising to me.
Speaking of Brienne, Jaime and Pod, and to a lesser Sam, during this episode I found it satisfying that the living didn't need great fighting skills to effectively fight the dead. It's not like the dead fight like water dancers.

So every time they showed the three musketeers, I kept thinking that it doesn't matter that Jaime's fighting left-handed or that Pod is probably above average at best; all they have to do is defend a mindless bum rush and connect once with their weapon and boom. All that really mattered were basic competency and the will to stand and fight, and on that front both Jaime and Pod were worthy of fighting side by side with Brienne.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 04-28-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Yara is in Pyke.
There was someone in the darkness who resembled her.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

And BTW, the HBO website gives the title as The Long Night.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:39 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

Arya's ninja move, dropping the knife to her other hand, then stabbing the Night King, made it all worthwhile.

The only thing I expected but didn't see was any of the lesser White Walkers get taken out by Valerian steel or dragon glass. I guess they really wanted to go with the lost cause until the last moment.

I liked it.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 PM

I think the entire next episode will be how a few hundred living people can dispose of 100,000+ dead, decaying bodies.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Her job was done. Her only goal was to stop the Night King.
But what was her job? She lit the Dothraki swords. To no purpose. She lit the wood in the trenches. To no purpose. She told Berin he filled his purpose. So?

The only salvation might be if she told Arya to get out to the grove. Because otherwise Arya's going there at that time from the middle of a castle in a battle was the most ridiculously contrived moment in a ridiculously contrived episode.

Not hot garbage, steronz. Cold garbage in the pot, nine days old.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:42 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
I think the entire next episode will be how a few hundred living people can dispose of 100,000+ dead, decaying bodies.
Dragon fire?
Old 04-28-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Arya's ninja move, dropping the knife to her other hand, then stabbing the Night King, made it all worthwhile.

The only thing I expected but didn't see was any of the lesser White Walkers get taken out by Valerian steel or dragon glass. I guess they really wanted to go with the lost cause until the last moment.

I liked it.
This- that moment was everything and made perfect sense. My only complaint was I guessed it about 60 seconds before it happened but it was still very sweet.

I do think Brienne's story arc is practically done (unless she is going to go off and make baby giants with her pal Tormund, I'm all for that) and she's the only one that I'm surprised is still alive.

Jon has been a lame duck for too long, time for him to step up. Sansa needs to learn to keep her mouth shut but I am rooting for her marriage to Tyrion to survive.

Jaime
Old 04-28-2019, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

After 7-1/2 seasons and 69 episodes of build-up, I felt like the defeat of the Night King was rather anticlimatic.

Last edited by robby; 04-28-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Not hot garbage, steronz. Cold garbage in the pot, nine days old.
Hot garbage stinks more.

I can't get over how bad that was after the wonderful episode last week. It was hard to watch because it was so dark and the artifacts from the streaming compression dominated every shot. It was boring from an action perspective. The plot repercussions are terrible. I just don't know where they go from here, at this point I don't care who sits on the iron throne.