Old 04-30-2019, 12:54 AM

Am I the only one who dislikes more pizza toppings than likes?

There's only a few I like:

cheese
tomato
broccoli
pepperoni
any bell pepper
onions only if they're diced, and in moderation, considering that we can all agree that there's nothing more disgusting, more hideous, than a large, greasy hunk o'oinion
spinach, again in moderation
oregano
salami
egg

This means that ever other topping is unacceptable and must be exterminated, fumigated.

Anyone else with this exact same discerning, refined sense of selectivity?

Old 04-30-2019, 12:56 AM

Just. No. Pineapple.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:12 AM

Egg? On Pizza? Sounds intriguing.
Am I the only adult who likes plain cheese pizza?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Depends how plain is plain. Does it have garlic? All pizza must have garlic.

Also - broccoli on pizza? Ewww!
Old 04-30-2019, 02:02 AM

There are some Umbrian-style pizzerias in Old Forge PA that have Red (tomato sauce, cheese, chopped onions) and White (just the cheese, maybe onions). They'll give you other toppings if you want, but they will look at you funny.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
considering that we can all agree that there's nothing more disgusting, more hideous, than a large, greasy hunk o'oinion
Onions are vegetables. The only reason onions would be greasy is because they were served with some topping like pepperoni or sausage. It doesn't seem fair to blame the onion for that.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:07 AM

Oh, hell yeah, gotta have garlic.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:58 AM

I will eat cheese pizza.
I will eat meat lovers pizza.
I will eat any pizza between those two.

No veggies, fruits, nuts, eggs, pineapple or tofu.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

cheese
tomato
broccoli
pepperoni
any bell pepper
onions only if they're diced, and in moderation, considering that we can all agree that there's nothing more disgusting, more hideous, than a large, greasy hunk o'oinion
oregano
salami
egg

This means that ever other topping is unacceptable and must be exterminated, fumigated.

This doesn't seem like such a short list to me. It's more than half as long as the topping list at most pizza places, but then again if you took out the uncommon toppings I could see how you might have little variety at a lot of places.

Then again, the toppings I don't like I can tolerate or at worst pick off rather than need to nuke them from orbit. For instance I don't especially like sausage or ham but will eat it.

With the exception of mushrooms. I do have a "discerning, refined sense of selectivity" with regards to mushrooms because I hate even having them on my pizza because if I have one by mistake it ruins the whole pizza experience with its sliminess, and yet in other situations like Chicken Marsala, I like the flavor the mushrooms bring to the sauce but try to pick them out of the actual meal, and I do not mind actually eating wild mushrooms.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:51 AM

My standard order is either beef & sausage or beef & Canadian bacon.

Once in awhile I'll get the Hawaiian style, Canadian bacon & pineapple.

I will eat it with onions. But not by choice.

My parents often ordered Supreme. It took me several minutes to carefully pick off the veggies on my slices.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-30-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Oh, hell yeah, gotta have garlic.
Then I'll happily join you in a delicious cheese pizza. Then again, I'm a pizza-slut - never met a pizza topping I didn't like. Except peas. Peas are Just Wrong.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

For me, pizza is all about proportions.

I tend to like meat pizzas. But most places put WAY too much meat on the pizza.

When I eat a pizza, I want to taste the sauce, the crust and the cheese. Too many toppings, can drown all those flavors out.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:22 AM

I like variety, so I try to get a different combination of toppings each time. I particularly like tomato and jalapeo pies. I also love anchovy and onion. Bring on Hawaiian.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:49 AM

My favorite toppings are bacon and garlic. If those two items are on the toppings list, I needn't look any further.

I can deal with any kind of piggy product (pep, ham, salami, sausage)but hells no to ground beef, and chicken doesn't belong on a pizza.

Even though I like all kinds of peppers, onions and olives, for some reason I do not enjoy them on pizza. Mushrooms disgust me in any situation but if I had to eat pizza whose toppings I had to pick off, I rather it be 'shrooms than say, onion, which has way too strong a flavor.

Beckdawrek, it would be my pleasure to share a cheese pizza with you, provided that cheese is only of the mozzarella variety and it is the normal amount, and not extra.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Peas are Just Wrong.
Corn is weird and wrong as well.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 AM

What, no mushrooms?! I'm very attached to my fungal friends.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I'm a traditionalist: pepperoni. I'm open to pretty much anything, but I still want to keep it simple. Like Yoda (or some other person I respect) once said, "Please repeat after me, 'toppings do not great pizza make.'"
Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, you're not.

We are clearly in the minority though. It's sad that a food which can approach perfection with simple balanced ingredients and a skilled hand gets used as a delivery device for chopped up meat and vegetables.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:31 AM

I prefer plain cheese pizza. It can even lack garlic.

But there are a few toppings I like.

Peppers and onions are OK. The onions need to be cooked, though -- either make then thinly sliced, or pre-saut them.

Hawaiian pizza is OK -- Canadian bacon (or even ham) and pineapple

Pepperoni and/or sausage and/or cooked ground beef

One of the more intriguing types is "Chinese food pizza", where you put your Chinese food of choice on the pizza. The Flying Pie in Salt Lake did this, for a time. my wife, Pepper Mill, and her friends came up with the same thing before I met her.

Barbecue Chicken pizza is good, too.

I'll tolerate mushrooms, but I don't love them.

But I don't like egg, broccoli, spinach, or olives on my pizza.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I dislike Hawaiian because the relative blandness of the ham does not go well with the tartness of the pineapple. My favorite combo is pepperoni and bacon and pineapple which are amazing together.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:36 AM

I, also, like plain pizza. There are some toppings I enjoy (yes, including ham and pineapple) but most detract from the pizza, and several render it inedible. No peppers. No pepperoni. No undercooked onion. (Cooked onion, chicken, most sausage detract, but i can still eat it.) So, in general, in a group, I'll eat the plain.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
...we can all agree that there's nothing more disgusting, more hideous, than a large, greasy hunk o'oinion
Nope, sizable slabs of onion are fine with me. Chunks of garlic are good too, not that you ever get them on store-bought pizza.

Fruit does not belong on pizza. Most vegetables are fine, though a savory rutabaga pizza doesn't really hit the spot for me.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Nah. Once, when someone in the office was ordering pizzas for a party, I noted that no one ever says "I want plain cheese" but if you get a plain cheese pizza, it always disappears quickly. I guess it's not most people's first choice but it's still fairly high on the list. Sure enough, since then we've always gotten a cheese and it always goes before the others do since everyone takes a couple pieces of either A, B or C but then everyone also grabs a piece or two of the plain cheese.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:

cheese
tomato
broccoli
pepperoni
any bell pepper
oregano
salami
egg

I like even less than you do...and I won't eat it if it's got something on it that I don't like. That pretty much goes for everything I eat...I'm very picky.

For pizza, I like sausage (hot or sweet), pepperoni, fresh moz (though I'll take the other kind too), Parmesan, New York style crust and...well, that's it. I will eat other meats on my pizza, and I'll eat some other types of crust, but basically I like sausage and pepperoni pizza.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 04-30-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
No, you're not.

We are clearly in the minority though. It's sad that a food which can approach perfection with simple balanced ingredients and a skilled hand gets used as a delivery device for chopped up meat and vegetables.
I can't let this go. There is no such thing as "cheese pizza". That's like giving someone an empty pie shell and calling it a "crust pie". Cheese is not a topping, it's part of the base. It doesn't become a pizza until there's at least one topping.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I have my preferences for toppings but generally I’ll accept any topping someone else wants. You can put anything on bread.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
I can't let this go. There is no such thing as "cheese pizza". That's like giving someone an empty pie shell and calling it a "crust pie". Cheese is not a topping, it's part of the base. It doesn't become a pizza until there's at least one topping.
This is nonsense. Have you had authentic Italian pizza? The minimal definition of pizza is crust, period. The most basic pizza is crust with a dusting of olive oil and grated cheese.

Tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese are both optional toppings. There are plenty of pizza styles that so without either.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm a vegetarian, but will eat any non-meat topping except onions and spicy stuff. I never had pineapple pizza until one day at work when they ordered ham and pineapple and told the place to leave two slices with "just pineapple." Feeling obligated to eat it, I did.

Bring on the pineapple! Pineapple on pizza is yummy, and my new favorite.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:45 AM

I'm generally good with most things on pizza, except for strange vegetables and fruits (no peas, no corn, no squash, for example).

That said, the best pizza I ever had was a tuna and onion one. I tend toward the more strongly flavored toppings- anchovies, salami, peppers, onions, sausage, but one of my all-time favorite combinations is prosciutto and onions.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
This is nonsense. Have you had authentic Italian pizza? The minimal definition of pizza is crust, period. The most basic pizza is crust with a dusting of olive oil and grated cheese.

Tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese are both optional toppings. There are plenty of pizza styles that so without either.
Amen to that. The bread is, and always should be, the centre of attention.

Anything that gets added should be to enhance, not overwhelm the bread.

My personal preference is to make a fresh arrabiata sauce and smear on a thin layer, some dabs of mozzerella with olive oil, garlic and basil. If I'm sharing with my daughter we'll add some tuna, red onion and black olives..........but not too much!

In all cases there should be a good inch of bare crust around the outside, otherwise it just ain't pizza for me.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:

cheese
tomato
broccoli
pepperoni
any bell pepper
oregano
salami
egg

That's a much longer list than I have! My go-to pizza is a standard pepperoni pizza. I'll tolerate sausage but am not a fan of caraway or fennel seeds (not sure which one is used in sausage).

You list oregano - that's a standard pizza spice so that's more than likely on all pizzas. I love oregano.

You also list tomato - I don't like chunks of tomato but I love the tomato pizza sauce which is also a standard pizza ingredient.

Same thing goes for cheese - wouldn't be a pizza without mozzarella!
Old 04-30-2019, 08:58 AM

I, also, like plain pizza. There are some toppings I enjoy (yes, including ham and pineapple) but most detract from the pizza, and several render it inedible. No peppers. No pepperoni. No undercooked onion. (Cooked onion, chicken, most sausage detract, but i can still eat it.) So, in general, in a group, I'll eat the plain.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:06 AM

I once had a slice of cheeseburger pizza. It had mustard on it. That was wrong.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the responses so far.
Oop - forgot...gotta be thin, hard crust.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:24 AM

OP my list is way shorter than yours. if i'm going to break the diet, my pizza can only have pepperoni on it. i will tolerate other meat like italian sausage or ground beef, but ham and canadian bacon are decidedly not worth it.

i eat a lot of veggies already and they have no place on a pizza.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If cheese pizza tastes like an empty pie shell, you're eating shit pizza, and I can forgive you for thinking that its only value is in holding up some chopped veggies and sausages. You are covering up the lousy taste of your bad pizza with other flavors and textures.

If you're eating an excellent pizza, it's a mix of excellent bread, excellent tomato sauce and excellent cheese in a well balanced combination. A good pizza isn't enhanced by burying it under a mountain of toppings.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
If cheese pizza tastes like an empty pie shell, you're eating shit pizza
But shit is a topping.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Like others, I am shocked that anyone would have this perspective. You must be eating terrible pizza.

Do you like toast? Bread and butter? Bread and dipping oil? Bread sticks? A good challah? Brioche?

Pizza is a flat bread, ideally made with delicious bread. It usually has some flavoring elements, of which tomato sauce and mozzarella are the most common, but by no means required. Sometimes, people heap all sorts of stuff atop their pizza, and that can be tasty, if the stuff is tasty. Like a Dagwood sandwich can be tasty. But bp&j is still a sandwich, and Pizza crust with just a dusting of oil and some garlic is still pizza. Pizza crust with tomato sauce and mozzarella may be the most popular type.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
One of my favorite pizza experiences was in Rome. A friend took us out to his favorite pizzeria and as we are ordering, he turns to me and says, "I would like to order what is called capricciosa, but it comes with egg, will you eat this?" looked at the laundry list of ingredients for this pizza in the menu and said "sure". I expected some hardboiled egg on mixed in with the other ingredients. Instead, the chef assembled the pizza, shoved it into the oven, and then about midway through, extracted the pizza and cracked a fresh egg on top of it, then shoved it back in. It came to the table as a pizza with a perfectly cooked sunny-side up egg on top of it, which we broke up and spread across the pie before eating the slices. It was one of the most delicious pizzas I had ever eaten.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

OP, I don't think your list of acceptable toppings is short (at least, not by my standards).

I'm not a veggie lover, so my go-to toppings list is pretty small.
- Sausage
- Pepperoni
- Bacon
- Canadian bacon
- Ham
- Ground beef (rarely)
- Garlic

I'll also sometimes have a Hawaiian pizza (ham and pineapple), or a Buffalo chicken pizza (chicken breast chunks and Buffalo sauce). And that's about it.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 AM

You've got me beat: your list of likes is much more inclusive than mine.

Only toppings I like are:

Anchovies

Black olives

I will accept sausage to "go along to get along" if decorum warrants it.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:07 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post

Yep. Some of the best pizza I've had is wood (or coal) fired oven with a really good crust, a bit of sauce (or just olive oil) and a few pieces of fresh mozzarella.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 AM

95% of the time, I'll get plain cheese pizza. If I'm sharing and I MUST have toppings, I generally only want garlic, and maybe mushrooms.

The only other topping I am into is one that's seriously rare - shrimp.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I've had egg on pizza once or twice and it is indeed pretty good. The first time I ever tried it I was in Istanbul in a little caf type place with a wood fired pizza oven. They put all the toppings on it and then just broke an egg on top of that in the middle and fired it up. It was outstanding.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:18 AM

There are only a few toppings that i ever prefer over a plain pie:
Ham/proscutto
Fresh mushrooms (not canned)
Artichoke hearts
Black olive
Rarely sausage
Ham & pineapple

And I once had a fabulous zucinni pizza, but I've had a few bad ones, and don't order it.

None of those toppings should be excessive. None are required. But I do enjoy a little artichoke heart.

So when I eat with a group, I mostly eat plain pizza.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Corn is weird and wrong as well.
Grated carrots are even worse. It tasted like blasphemy.

Of standard pizza toppings, I don't care for olives or anchovies or ham. Pepperoni is okay, but my favorite is a spicy red sauce, extra garlic, peppers, mushrooms and onion. If the pizza place offers artichokes, they are acceptable. I've had spectacularly good eggplant on pizza, but also horrendously awful eggplant. Plain cheese is good, too.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Yep. Some of the best pizza I've had is wood (or coal) fired oven with a really good crust, a bit of sauce (or just olive oil) and a few pieces of fresh mozzarella.
I'd go farther and recommend the pizza marinara at any place that does good Neapolitan style pies. Just tomatoes, garlic, oregano, and olive oil. No cheese. That and the pizza margherita are perhaps the most classic of Neapolitan pizzas.

Pizza means a lot of things to a lot of people, and I tend towards being a pizza inclusivist. But no cheese on a pizza is not a crazy idea--it's completely normal in one of the holy cities of pizza - Napoli.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-30-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Only toppings I like are:

Anchovies

Black olives

Funny, that is pretty much the top of my "won't eat" list.

Yeah, the OP has a pretty lengthy list of likes for saying he dislikes most toppings.

Left to my own devices, I'd generally order green pepper and onion. And I'm pretty easily satisfied by most veggie options (if there are enough veggies, the can even hide the olives! )

My wife prefers shrooms, so that is what we generally get.

If I'm PAYING for the za, or if we are only getting one pie, I'll be more opinionated about what goes on it. But I'm pretty easy to go along with most groups.

Man, we haven't ordered za for some time. Now you've got me thinking about it...!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM

I am so done with sausage and pepperoni. Sausage and pepperoni, over and over and over unto death. (and that goes for hot buffalo wings, too). I am a wife and mother who never in my whole life ever got to order what *I* want on a pizza, because they need sausage and pepperoni. The best I can do is beg for half the pizza to be plain cheese. (left to my own devices, I would choose green pepper, fresh mushrooms, a little anchovy, or a fancy-schmancy white clam-and-bacon or fresh mozzarella and basil leaf pizza from the expensive goor-may place.)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Funny, that is pretty much the top of my "won't eat" list.
Anchovies in particular. If a pizza has black olives on it, I can pick enough of the damned things off that I can eat the rest of the pizza.

But if it has anchovies, I don't even want to be in the same room with that pizza. Even removing the anchovies doesn't fix it; the taste and smell of the anchovies were absorbed by the cheese.

But there are really only a few other pizza toppings that one sees fairly often that I won't eat. I'll eat a meat lover's pizza, I'll eat a veggie lover's pizza, I'll eat a plain cheese pizza, and pretty much anything in between those vertices.