Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBitchin' View Post
I will eat cheese pizza.
I will eat meat lovers pizza.
I will eat any pizza between those two.

No veggies, fruits, nuts, eggs, pineapple or tofu.
As far as I'm concerned, pepperoni is too salty. I'll take sausage, hamburger, Canadian bacon, Real Bacon (because bacon is good with everything) and even ham. Hell,if you want to throw a little chicken in there, sure. But no pepperoni.

And why would you clutter up a pizza with vegetables? That's what salads are for!

Last edited by Kent Clark; 04-30-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

This thread again?

I can't think of any traditional American pizza topping that I wouldn't happily eat.

I strongly prefer fresh Italian sausage but pepperoni is ok, too. Ground beef and chicken are too mild to stand up to rest of the pie and basically a waste of a topping. I'd still eat it, though. I'm ok with polarizing toppings like pineapple, anchovy, mushroom, olives, . Similarly, there are a few mentioned in this thread that I've never had before but wouldn't hesitate to try like corn, peas, egg, shrimp, eggplant, tuna.

As far as non-traditional pizzas, I'm less enthusiastic. Barbecue pizza is ok in theory but the sauce is too sweet after a few bites. One 2x3 inch square is just enough. Chicken ranch is meh, I'm not a huge fan of ranch and using it as pizza sauce is a big dose. I don't think I've ever had buffalo chicken pizza but I feel like I'd be sitting there wishing I had regular sausage pizza and a half dozen wings instead. White clam pizza sounds good, though.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

WRT non-traditional pizzas, I still miss Truby's Thai pizza, and its Greek pizza and Jamaican jerk pizza were damned good too. Truby's (of Whitefish, MT) was the one pizzeria I'd been to that could do genuinely different pizzas like that, and do them so well that I'm still disappointed that there don't seem to be any East Coast pizzerias that can do that sort of thing.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
But if it has anchovies, I don't even want to be in the same room with that pizza.
Of course, as a Firesign Theatre fan, this makes me think of Nick Danger: "No anchovies? You've got the wrong man. I spell my name - DANGER!"
Old 04-30-2019, 02:03 PM

Pizza Margherita was made to resemble the colors of the Italian flag. If two hundred years later you somehow think that is the pinnacle of culinary achievement you're sorely mistaken.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:43 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Macaroni and cheese pizza is surprisingly good.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I will eat it with onions. But not by choice.
I will eat it with Funyuns while reading James Joyce
Old 04-30-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
I'm a traditionalist: pepperoni. I'm open to pretty much anything, but I still want to keep it simple. Like Yoda (or some other person I respect) once said, "Please repeat after me, 'toppings do not great pizza make.'"
I like pepperoni too but it's become difficult to find any that doesn't have chicken or turkey in it. Last I checked, Dominos pepperoni does not have any poultry so that's the only place I order pizza with pepperoni from. Other big chains (last I checked) do use it. Bleccch!
Old 04-30-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
Pizza Margherita was made to resemble the colors of the Italian flag. If two hundred years later you somehow think that is the pinnacle of culinary achievement you're sorely mistaken.
A Margherita pizza has at least two merits:
  1. It's a satisfying but simple pizza without all sorts of warring topping flavors. Almost refreshing. I usually order it when I want a pizza, but don't have any particular cravings beyond that.
  2. It's a great order the first time you visit a restaurant. The best way to judge the general quality of the pizzas being proffered. No distracting gimmicks, yet you can make a fair apples-to-apples comparison between establishments.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:32 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Anchovies in particular. If a pizza has black olives on it, I can pick enough of the damned things off that I can eat the rest of the pizza.

But if it has anchovies, I don't even want to be in the same room with that pizza. Even removing the anchovies doesn't fix it; the taste and smell of the anchovies were absorbed by the cheese.

But there are really only a few other pizza toppings that one sees fairly often that I won't eat. I'll eat a meat lover's pizza, I'll eat a veggie lover's pizza, I'll eat a plain cheese pizza, and pretty much anything in between those vertices.
I'm that way with cashews, which for some odd reason are an ingredient in any number of pizzas in these parts. Can't stand them, and they contaminate everything they touch. Anchovies, OTOH, are delish. But the best topping is none. Gimme a basic cheese New York slice and I'm happy.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
A Margherita pizza has at least two merits:
  1. It's a satisfying but simple pizza without all sorts of warring topping flavors. Almost refreshing. I usually order it when I want a pizza, but don't have any particular cravings beyond that.
  2. It's a great order the first time you visit a restaurant. The best way to judge the general quality of the pizzas being proffered. No distracting gimmicks, yet you can make a fair apples-to-apples comparison between establishments.
Yep. Indeed, it's my first order at any place that is doing Neapolitan or wood/coal-fired styles. Gives you a good baseline. That said, it pretty much is perfect.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I'm that way with cashews, which for some odd reason are an ingredient in any number of pizzas in these parts. Can't stand them, and they contaminate everything they touch. Anchovies, OTOH, are delish. But the best topping is none. Gimme a basic cheese New York slice and I'm happy.
Cashews, eh? Interesting. What are they paired with? The only nuts I've ever had on a pizza was pistachios at Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. Their pizza rosa was Arizona pistachios, red onion, rosemary, parmesan, and olive oil. (No sauce, and no melty cheese--just the shavings of parmesan at the end.) When it's on, it's probably my favorite pizza in the world.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Out of the universe of all possible pizza toppings, there are vastly more that I dislike than that I like. I would not like a motor oil pizza, nor an arsenic pizza, nor a cedar-chip pizza, nor a brick-dust pizza.

But you're not going to find very many of those toppings I don't like available at a pizzeria.

The only things I have ever actually encountered at a pizzeria that I don't like on a pizza are corn and any sort of fish. Someone mentioned peas, and I've never seen those available, but I would agree that they would be out of place, too. But with the right other ingredients, I could see cashews, or black beans, or a variety of other ingredients.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:40 PM

I like pizza with the kitchen sink, any combination of any toppings. But too many make the slices too heavy to lift.

But lately, I've been eliminating olives and peppers.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Cashews, eh? Interesting. What are they paired with? The only nuts I've ever had on a pizza was pistachios at Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. Their pizza rosa was Arizona pistachios, red onion, rosemary, parmesan, and olive oil. (No sauce, and no melty cheese--just the shavings of parmesan at the end.) When it's on, it's probably my favorite pizza in the world.
Gay 90's. We freaking lived at that place. It was the inspiration for the bar in Cheers. My crowd would always order an Ort's Special, which was basically a Gay's with Ortega chilis added. That's what made eventually hate cashews. Must have eaten a thousand of them over the years. The picture in this article features members of my graduating class.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
This thread again?
You may be referring to my "What kind of Asshole puts Cheddar Cheese on a Pizza?" thread from so long ago, it no longer exists. Who says The Internet is Forever?

Pity. It was about the only thread I've made in nearly 20 years to get more than just a few posts.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Then I'll happily join you in a delicious cheese pizza. Then again, I'm a pizza-slut - never met a pizza topping I didn't like. Except peas. Peas are Just Wrong.
Love the word pizza-slut. I can't aspire to pizza-sluthood because I can't eat anything that's spicy-hot. But I'll try almost anything else, although I don't see how broccoli would work unless pre-blanched.

I'm the only person I know who likes anchovies on pizza. When I had a house full of kids, I'd order the anchovies on the side, so that the taste wouldn't spread in the sauce. I kind of got to prefer the uncooked anchovies.

While in college, I delivered pizzas for a couple of years. We got free slices during breaks. We would never turn down the break pizza, because we were all broke, but it would get kind of monotonous after a few months. So we tried a lot of oddball toppings just to mix things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
One of my favorite pizza experiences was in Rome. A friend took us out to his favorite pizzeria and as we are ordering, he turns to me and says, "I would like to order what is called capricciosa, but it comes with egg, will you eat this?" looked at the laundry list of ingredients for this pizza in the menu and said "sure". I expected some hardboiled egg on mixed in with the other ingredients. Instead, the chef assembled the pizza, shoved it into the oven, and then about midway through, extracted the pizza and cracked a fresh egg on top of it, then shoved it back in. It came to the table as a pizza with a perfectly cooked sunny-side up egg on top of it, which we broke up and spread across the pie before eating the slices. It was one of the most delicious pizzas I had ever eaten.
I want to try that now!
Old 04-30-2019, 07:52 PM

Well, then I am a pizza-prude. Dough. Sauce. Mozzarella. That's it. That's all I eat. If you give me a topping I'm picking it off.

I will occasionally have a slice of a good white pizza and if I'm making a pizza at home and have some nice looking basil leaves, I'll slap them down between sauce and cheese. But that's it. Simple. Elegant. Balanced.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 PM

my favorite pizza is a bbq chicken pizza with shrooms (instead of red onions)on it .....

Tho red brick pizza was here for a while and man they had a "Thai" pizza that was so gross they didn't even like making it , the only things I don't care for on a pizza is onions peppers tomatoes olives and anchovies .....and I can tolerate most of those things if I have to on a "Philly cheesesteak pizza"

funny thing tho I watched a show on pizza on PBS and found out in Italy, they'll put anything on a pizza if ya want ..... broccoli and chicken with alfredo sauce? they won't even blink ....and that was one of the more tame versions .... (the black ink squid one looks utterly horrible.....)

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-30-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
But lately, I've been eliminating olives and peppers.
Undigested to the point you can identify them? Ewwww.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
my favorite pizza is a bbq chicken pizza with shrooms (instead of red onions)on it .....

Tho red brick pizza was here for a while and man they had a "Thai" pizza that was so gross they didn't even like making it , the only things I don't care for on a pizza is onions peppers tomatoes olives and anchovies .....and I can tolerate most of those things if I have to on a "Philly cheesesteak pizza"

funny thing tho I watched a show on pizza on PBS and found out in Italy, they'll put anything on a pizza if ya want ..... broccoli and chicken with alfredo sauce? they won't even blink ....and that was one of the more tame versions .... (the black ink squid one looks utterly horrible.....)
Have you ever had squid ink pasta or other squid ink preparations? Its not utterly horrible.

Funny thing tho Italy created the concept of pizza, and it means a piece of crust plain or topped with whatever you want.

So this agonizing over what is acceptable as a pizza topping is nothing more than an exercise in what Im accustomed to or prefer for myself. It has nothing to do with properly defining pizza.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Huh, Mackenzie River Pizza, in Bozeman, MT, also has a Thai pizza, and it's one of their better ones.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
You may be referring to my "What kind of Asshole puts Cheddar Cheese on a Pizza?" thread from so long ago, it no longer exists. Who says The Internet is Forever?

Pity. It was about the only thread I've made in nearly 20 years to get more than just a few posts.
As I probably said in that thread, there used to be a place in Boston -- Warburton's, I believe, whose specialty was the Cheddar Cheese Pizza.

It was pretty good, too.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Egg? On Pizza? Sounds intriguing.
Am I the only adult who likes plain cheese pizza?
Good pizza is great without toppings. Topping are needed to cover up the fact that most pizza is sub par.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Out of the universe of all possible pizza toppings, there are vastly more that I dislike than that I like. I would not like a motor oil pizza, nor an arsenic pizza, nor a cedar-chip pizza, nor a brick-dust pizza.
How about a tire-rims-and-anthrax pizza?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Pizza toppings I actively like:
- Ham/Canadian bacon
- Mushrooms
- Extra cheese

Toppings I'll put up with if they're all that's available:
- Pepperoni
- Sausage
- Black olives
- Chicken

Toppings I'll pick off:
- Anything that doesn't impart a strong negative flavor (example: tomatoes, spinach)

Toppings that will make me avoid the pizza:
- Jalapenos
- Onions
- Peppers (any kind)
- Garlic

Toppings that are an abomination unto God and shouldn't be anywhere near a pizza:
- Pineapple.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
Well, then I am a pizza-prude. Dough. Sauce. Mozzarella. That's it. That's all I eat. If you give me a topping I'm picking it off.
Then I guess I'm a pizza slut. I'm okay with pretty much any toppings.

Heck, I've eaten a pizza that had M&M's as a topping.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

We had pizza at work today.

There were four:
Large BBQ. That's bacon, onion, bbq sauce & regular mozz. I think also pepperoni but can't be certain.
Large sausage, green pepper, onion.
'Stadium-size' sausage only.
Small cheese.

Here in Chicago, we usually cut thin crust pizza into 'squares' ranging from 2 to 4 but typically right around 3 inches a side.
I took a quick visual survey around 2pm, after the eating rush.
Approx half (40-60%) of the first three on the list were gone.
One, ONE segment of the cheese only was taken. Not even a whole square since they're cut from round pies.

Me? I had one each of bbq and sausage, green pepper & onion.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:09 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

I'm not fussy, but I hate it when they put onions or green peppers that are cut into large rings. How am I suppose to eat that? You bite a big onion ring and drag all the cheese and sauce off the rest of the slice? Cut up the onions and peppers into bite size pieces, please! Same for salads. No rings!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:15 PM

I made a Keto crust pizza, tonight. Fathead crust. None of that cauliflower business.
Anyway, I like a substantial pizza, and I added to mine, pepperoncini, mushrooms, onions, olives, roasted garlic cloves, red bell pepper, and pepperoni, with a provolone/mozzarella mixi. I made my daughter one, as well. Hers only had sausage, ham, and pepperoni, though. Hers also had the provolone/mozzarella mix. She's not very much into vegetable toppings.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
As I probably said in that thread, there used to be a place in Boston -- Warburton's, I believe, whose specialty was the Cheddar Cheese Pizza.

It was pretty good, too.
I remember that so clearly. It was supposed to be a "very british" type of pizza, with the union jack in the ads. There was a chain of a few. But the name just escapes me unless you were right about it.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
There's only a few I like:

cheese
tomato
broccoli
pepperoni
any bell pepper
onions only if they're diced, and in moderation, considering that we can all agree that there's nothing more disgusting, more hideous, than a large, greasy hunk o'oinion
spinach, again in moderation
oregano
salami
egg

This means that ever other topping is unacceptable and must be exterminated, fumigated.

Anyone else with this exact same discerning, refined sense of selectivity?

Your list is long compared to mine. Veggies & hot mozzarella is just nasty! I'll grill up onions & peppers for a sandwich but won't eat 'em on pizza. I'll have spinach or broccoli as a side at another meal, but again, not on pizza. My preference is (a good) white or just plain (sauce & cheese).

Also, not from a chain (but Domino's is tolerable) & not from a pan.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:45 PM

Am I the only one who orders Margarita with pineapple and anchovies?

I must confess that even now I grin when I realize that in a shared house I won't be required to share my food
Old 05-02-2019, 09:50 PM

I am very selective.
I just like the traditional pizza with NO toppings.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:51 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I remember that so clearly. It was supposed to be a "very british" type of pizza, with the union jack in the ads. There was a chain of a few. But the name just escapes me unless you were right about it.
I heard British pizza has beets and corn on it.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Beetroot and maize.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:55 PM

I only like pizza with either red sauce or white sauce, pepperoni, cheese (the more kinds the better) and maybe certain kinds of sausage or crispy bacon. Period. No veggies, no pineapple, no other kinds of meat.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:45 PM

Mushrooms are up there with pepperoni and sausage as standard minimum topping options if pizza toppings are available. I like a lot of toppings but not necessarily at once. If you are against an entire section of toppings (like no meat at all or no vegetables) you are missing out on the best flavor combinations. Like a spicy meat combined with a sweet acid tastes good to people with good taste. A pile of dry meat is lacking.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 05-02-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
We had pizza at work today.

There were four:
Large BBQ. That's bacon, onion, bbq sauce & regular mozz. I think also pepperoni but can't be certain.
Large sausage, green pepper, onion.
'Stadium-size' sausage only.
Small cheese.

Here in Chicago, we usually cut thin crust pizza into 'squares' ranging from 2 to 4 but typically right around 3 inches a side.
I took a quick visual survey around 2pm, after the eating rush.
Approx half (40-60%) of the first three on the list were gone.
One, ONE segment of the cheese only was taken. Not even a whole square since they're cut from round pies.

Me? I had one each of bbq and sausage, green pepper & onion.
The only one of those is be willing to eat is the plain.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBitchin' View Post
I will eat cheese pizza.
I will eat meat lovers pizza.
I will eat any pizza between those two.

No veggies, fruits, nuts, eggs, pineapple or tofu.
It me.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:51 AM

Coincidentally had a Margherita pie last night at a local brewery. Delicious!
Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 AM

With Pizza, less is, generally speaking, more. Except with a few combinations. Salami, cheese, mushroom, onion, olive is one of the perfect combos.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Well, even if I got the name wrong, we're thinking of the same place. They definitely worked to associate it with the UK. It not only had the Union Jack, though, the ads also featured a bulldog.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 AM

I run a high volume New York Pizzeria in St Louis...We make between 700 and 1300 pies a week. All with house made, cold fermented dough, 100% whole milk Mozzarella, and house made sauce. The majority of our ingredients are house made and always the highest quality our price point allows.

We make pies with just about every combination of toppings you can imagine. The guy that regularly orders the extra garlic, eggplant and anchovy pie makes me chuckle, every time.

I was asked to design a pie to pair with the release of "Hopslam Ale" by Bell's brewery. I came up with a simple pie...

Pepperoni, Jalapenos and Pineapple; Just enough salt, heat and sweet to let the pairing work perfectly.

Last edited by ThisSpaceForRent; 05-03-2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
I was asked to design a pie to pair with the release of "Hopslam Ale" by Bell's brewery. I came up with a simple pie...

Pepperoni, Jalapenos and Pineapple; Just enough salt, heat and sweet to let the pairing work perfectly.
I love all of Bell's beers, with Hopslam being one of my favorites. That pairing sounds incredible.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Do pizzas in Ohio still come with bell pepper on them, standard? I moved there for awhile, decades ago, and was surprised by that. They were happy to leave the bell pepper off, if I asked, but would not substitute another topping because it wasn't considered to be a topping. It was just pizza.

I remember one place in Flint, Michigan that used green olive slices if you asked for olives. No warning. I only went to that one place, so I don't know if anyone else did the same. It didn't taste bad.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:26 PM

90% of the pizza I consume is just cheese or cheese + mushroom. I can tolerate pepperoni or sausage. But I really don't like any other veggies on pizza at all.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I heard British pizza has beets and corn on it.
The problem with British pizza is that it's boiled. Guys, guys! There are ways to cook food other than boiling!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Okay! More silliness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
I remember one place in Flint, Michigan that used green olive slices if you asked for olives. No warning. I only went to that one place, so I don't know if anyone else did the same. It didn't taste bad.
I've heard of that. My understanding is they come from the farm as black olives but are then canned using Flint municipal water.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I've spent most of my life in Ohio (specifically the Cleveland area, if that matters), and I've never once encountered peppers as a default topping. Every place will have them and will put them on if you ask, just like any other topping, but (again, just like every other topping other than tomato sauce and cheese), if you don't mention it, you won't get it.