View Poll Results: What GoT character's death had the bigest impact on you
Ned Stark 17 24.29%
Half of the North (Red Wedding) 22 31.43%
Hodor 15 21.43%
Someone else (and post who it is in the thread) 16 22.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2019, 03:52 PM

Which GoT death had the biggest impact on you?

I've been watching this series called Game of Thrones and I guess some other people have too. There seems to be a lot of people dying on it so the question is which one had the biggest impact on you. Now I know that people will say, "No one. They're just fictional characters. Now when Jim my goldfish died I cried for a month." so if that's you then you miss the point of the poll.

In chronological order
1) Ned Stark: The hero always survives vs. Sean Bean always dies. This was the first death many people point to that GoT is immune from tropes.

2) The Red Wedding: All that blood. And to top it off sewing Grey Wind's head to Robb's body to parade around the King of the North ... brutal image.

3) Hold the door Hodor. Not a main character but one that we all loved. The juxtaposition of how he became Hodor along with his sacrifice for Bran as the scenes jumped back and forth and the score in the background. Might be one of the best examples of the Art of Cinema.

4) Someone else?
Shireen being sacrificed to the Lord of Light?
The Red Viper getting his question answered?
Viserys getting his crown?
Let us know.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:01 PM

For me it has to be Ned Stark. He's the hero of this story, right? He can't die in episode 9, can he?

That was the moment that GoT served notice that nobody was safe. It was a true game-changer.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Since I read the books most of the deaths didnít have the impact that it did on those that didnít know it was coming. Book Ned definitely had the biggest impact.

In the show it was Catelyn Stark. I knew it was coming but the way Michelle Fairley played it was brilliant and devastating.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:32 PM

I was originally going to say Ned, because it was a truly shocking moment and the first time we realized Game of Thrones was not like the others. But, for sheer impact it has to be the Red Wedding, because it went on, and on... Watching Robb's wife and child being repeatedly stabbed was horrifying. The bolts hitting Robb from close range had a meaty thunking sound that just made it more terrible. And then Catelyn Stark's anguished wail, her murder of an innocent girl and subsequent death was just... brutal. The whole thing left you just sitting there exhausted after it was over.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 04-30-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:48 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
4) Someone else?
Shireen being sacrificed to the Lord of Light?
This is it for me. The others were adults, who in part brought their deaths on themselves by bad decisions (OK, not Hodor). Shireen was an innocent child who was cheerful in the face of her adversity but who was burned alive by her father to no purpose as she begged piteously for him to help her. I don't think there was a more harrowing death in the show.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-30-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Shireen. Shocked me much more than anything else seen in the series. I can't really watch her death scene, in fact.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Hodor

This is all about film-making. It was amazing, unexpected, and I still get shudders thinking about the flash back to young Hodor saying "holdthedoor, holdthedoor" while he has seizures.

:shudders:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:04 PM

Definitely Ned Stark for me. I was unfamiliar with the books and three seasons had passed before I decided to binge the show. I'd read just enough to completely not know what I was getting into and I thought Ned was the shows main protagonist.

I was completely unprepared for that death and it definitely instantly had me hooked as a fan as opposed to a casual watcher.

Shireen's death was the most horrific I've felt watching a scene but it didn't pack the punch long term like Neds death did.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
For me it has to be Ned Stark. He's the hero of this story, right? He can't die in episode 9, can he?

That was the moment that GoT served notice that nobody was safe. It was a true game-changer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Penguin View Post
Definitely Ned Stark for me. I was unfamiliar with the books and three seasons had passed before I decided to binge the show. I'd read just enough to completely not know what I was getting into and I thought Ned was the shows main protagonist.

I was completely unprepared for that death and it definitely instantly had me hooked as a fan as opposed to a casual watcher.
Surely the fact that Ned Stark was played by Sean Bean was kind of a big hint.

For me, it was the Joffrey because of how satisfying it was. I'm gonna leave it here for your enjoyment: https://youtu.be/ifx0Fg_drBI?t=271

I've stopped watching GoT because of the show's gleeful attitude towards torture and rape but I will check out the episode where Cersei bites it when it comes.

I guess I'm a selective sadist.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 PM

I injured my back when Littlefinger died and I jumped up and shouted "It's about damned time!"
Old 04-30-2019, 06:31 PM

Ned Stark.

I hadn't read the books. I pretty much skip George R.R. Martin's work after early experiences with his writing. It's just something about his style that hadn't worked for me in other things I read by him. I went cold into the show.

Part of why I started watching was just the short synopsis of the world. Part was Sean Bean. I almost quit after a couple episodes. That first season was rough without a background into the characters and the world. It's a big world and a huge cast. The show did okay trying to jump around and give each important thread time. Sometimes it felt like the threads in an episode were as coherent as a bag of yarn assaulted by a dozen kittens wired on catnip.

I like Sean Bean, though. He was a big piece of why I kept giving the show a chance while it was still setting the stage. Then they whacked his head off.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Penguin View Post

Shireen's death was the most horrific I've felt watching a scene but it didn't pack the punch long term like Neds death did.
This is exactly my answer as well. Those are the two, and I feel exactly the same way as you about both.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I was in a time where I wasn't into movie or television culture. I had no idea about Sean Bean's death thing. Looking back on IMDB, I'd seen movies he died it but until GOT I wouldn't have known the actor by name or reputation. Totally blindsided by the scene.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Surely the fact that Ned Stark was played by Sean Bean was kind of a big hint....
Not sure what you mean by this. Heís the one recognizable star, so how the heck can he die? I actually thought it was some kind of dream sequence and that heíd be back somehow. That was the slap in the face that this show was different. But even then, I thought it was a one-off. Then came the red wedding, and nothing shocked me again... until Shireen. I liked Stannis before that, and the moment after, he surpassed Joffrey as my most hated character. That was next level shit, right there.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 PM

I say Ned Stark. I didn't think they were actually going to kill him (knowing how movies and TV shows go nowadays)

(If anyone says one of the direwolves, I'm going to be mad)
Old 04-30-2019, 08:00 PM

I read the books, so from a "first time reading" perspective, I'd say the Red Wedding narrowly edged out Ned Stark for me. Ned's death was certainly shocking, to the point I almost questioned if it actually happened at first (the chapter it happens in is from Arya's POV, and she doesn't see the actual moment of execution). But later on I could see why it had to happen to get things rolling. The Red Wedding was even more shocking, but also more dreadful because those characters had already suffered with Ned's death.

From a show perspective, I'd say Shireen. Not only because she's a kid who didn't even slightly deserve it (whereas the Starks are adults who did make stupid decisions), but also because I cannot see Book Stannis ever burning Shireen.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:

For me, it was the Joffrey because of how satisfying it was. I'm gonna leave it here for your enjoyment: https://youtu.be/ifx0Fg_drBI?t=271

I've stopped watching GoT because of the show's gleeful attitude towards torture and rape but I will check out the episode where Cersei bites it when it comes.

I guess I'm a selective sadist.
My goodness, that was hard to watch. I mean, the little wanker deserved it and all but yikes. I've not witnessed anyone IRL die by poison but that sure seemed realistic. Didn't it turn out that
SPOILER:
it was Arya?

I only ever saw the first season but have been hearing about / seeing bits and pieces over the run of the show. I'd seen enough of KJ to hate him so his death is satisfying. I also cannot stand Cersei (nor the actress who plays her)so I too look forward to her dirt nap.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Shireen, by far.

After recent events I've been reading some praise for Melisandre and how she's a hero. Fuck her. She burned an innocent girl alive.

WOOKINPANUB: No.

SPOILER:
It was Olenna Martell; she admitted it to Jaime before dying, and previously told her daughter Maergery too. Arya was very far away at the time. Olenna didn't trsy Joffrey, and knew she could have Maergery marry Tommen and be in the same political position.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Shireen, by far.

After recent events I've been reading some praise for Melisandre and how she's a hero. Fuck her. She burned an innocent girl alive.

WOOKINPANUB: No.

SPOILER:
It was Olenna Martell; she admitted it to Jaime before dying, and previously told her daughter Maergery too. Arya was very far away at the time. Olenna didn't trsy Joffrey, and knew she could have Maergery marry Tommen and be in the same political position.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
My goodness, that was hard to watch. I mean, the little wanker deserved it and all but yikes. I've not witnessed anyone IRL die by poison but that sure seemed realistic. Didn't it turn out that
SPOILER:
it was Arya?
SPOILER:
No, it was a plot by Littlefinger and the Tyrell matriarch
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Shireen, by far.

I'm yet to forgive Jaime for pushing Bran out of the window, let alone Melisandre. She's not exactly evil, she's an extremist absolutely convinced she owns the truth and that the end justifies any means (she answers at some point to lord Fingercut, can't remember his name at the moment, that OK, he saved one life but doomed tens of thousands of other lives in the process). So, basically, she's like the Nazis or ISIS leaders, except that contrarily to them she's right about the desirable outcome but totally wrong about the way to go there (if at least she had been right, I could have accepted Shireen sacrifice : horrible, but in the end better than the end of all life).

Jaime has acted like a cold-blooded murderer, very close to being a psychopath. Not just with Bran, but also when he murdered his own cousin in order escape, for instance. And of course he supported all the way one of the vilest character of the show. There's not much redemption from that, in my book. Same with Theon who got children killed for propaganda purpose. Same with the hound who doesn't give a shit about killing innocent people or robbing them and letting them starve to death, etc...

I'm not terribly forgiving nor very amenable to "redemption" in shows and movies, I'm afraid.

Last edited by clairobscur; 05-01-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 AM

Was going to say Hodor because he was never anything but a helpless pawn, made so since his youth in a time travel brain rape perpetuated by the very guy he would loyally die defending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Shireen. Shocked me much more than anything else seen in the series. I can't really watch her death scene, in fact.
I really really hated that scene (so it was good). Not a wicked or spiteful bone in her body despite all the justification should she have been a complete twat. Just sweetness. Shireen was treated badly and died in betrayal. I'd prefer being ripped apart by zombies.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm not sure where I got that notion.

I do plan to watch the whole series eventually but at this point, having heard so much about it I'm not in any way bothered about spoilers. Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone recommend some specific eps to watch? I've yet to see this Red Wedding everyone talks about, but I don't think that is it's actual title(?) Should I watch the whole ep where Ned dies or just that scene? I must admit, I've never been into the fantasy genre but this is like a really dark prime time soap opera with really great costumes and special effects.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 AM

The episodes won't work well independent of each other. Watch the first 5 as brain prep (lots of characters with meaningful dialogue that is only meaningful after you've had a chance to learn who the characters really are), then start over and binge.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Thanks, guys. I'm not sure where I got that notion.

I do plan to watch the whole series eventually but at this point, having heard so much about it I'm not in any way bothered about spoilers. Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone recommend some specific eps to watch? I've yet to see this Red Wedding everyone talks about, but I don't think that is it's actual title(?) Should I watch the whole ep where Ned dies or just that scene? I must admit, I've never been into the fantasy genre but this is like a really dark prime time soap opera with really great costumes and special effects.
The correct title is : "The rains of Castamere". My preferred episode of the whole series might be season 6 episode 10 : "Winds of winter" (especially the opening part, but there are many other very significant scenes in it), but neither can have the same impact if you haven't seen the rest of the series. There are some good battle scenes, too ("Blackwater" or "Battle of the bastards", for instance).

Out of context and without the shock factor, the death of Ned Stark is just some scene, although rather well done.

Maybe you could just watch some "best scenes of Game of Thrones" videos on youtube. You could find interesting videos that follow a specific character too : "all Tywin scenes" or whatever.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:23 AM

Ygritte, because she was such a great character and she made Jon happy. Loved everything about her.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:39 PM
SDSAB

The Red Wedding was pretty dire. Even though I'd read the books and knew what was coming, brrrrrr.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Ygritte, because she was such a great character and she made Jon happy. Loved everything about her.
She was a murderous pillager. That part wasn't really lovable, IMO. Her death was entirely deserved, and the boy who killed her entirely justified and a hero. I disliked that so many hated his character as a result.

Having been able to ignore this and love her was Jon's main moral fault in the show, as was Danaerys' love for Khal Drogo.

Last edited by clairobscur; 05-01-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
She was a murderous pillager. That part wasn't really lovable, IMO. Her death was entirely deserved, and the boy who killed her entirely justified and a hero. I disliked that so many hated his character as a result.

Having been able to ignore this and love her was Jon's main moral fault in the show, as was Danaerys' love for Khal Drogo.
Eh, it was all she'd ever known, all her people had ever known, for generations. She was a product of her environment. I seem to recall a couple of moments where she was amenable to giving up all of that in exchange for something better. Likewise, Drogo was a product of his environment, but he never really hinted at wanting to settle down and just be a gentleman farmer somewhere. HIS big concession was allowing missionary.

I think it was Ygriddtded's inclination to mellow out that allow many to find endearing. That said, she WAS perfectly fine with being a murderous pillager.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 05-01-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:52 PM

I have to go with Myrcella. Not because her death was worse than Shireen's, but because Ellaria and the Sand snakes were sort of "cool" until that.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 PM

Red Wedding... specifically Catelyn.

Some ahole on this board spoiled Robb's death (seriously it was "I forget, have we gotten to the part where Robb gets killed?" WTF was wrong with that person) so I was expecting that the whole time... did not expect Catelyn getting her throat slashed as well.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
Red Wedding... specifically Catelyn.

Some ahole on this board spoiled Robb's death (seriously it was "I forget, have we gotten to the part where Robb gets killed?" WTF was wrong with that person) so I was expecting that the whole time... did not expect Catelyn getting her throat slashed as well.
Yeah, the other reason I stopped watching GoT is when someone on 4chan posted a link to a leaked script and made some smartass comment about "a certain Lannister's life being cut short".

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 05-01-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: just fucking with you
Old 05-01-2019, 03:33 PM

Robb and Catelyn at the Red Wedding. I was more sad about Hodor and more horrified by Shireen's death, but the Red Wedding totally changed what I thought the show was about. Ned's death was briefly shocking, but I realized soon afterwards that the book/show was about The North and King Robb getting revenge. When the Red Wedding happened, it threw everything I thought I knew about the storyline out the window.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Same with the hound who doesn't give a shit about killing innocent people or robbing them and letting them starve to death, etc...
This doesn't make it better, but he does give a shit about killing innocent people in that many times he explained how much he enjoys killing people. That's his thing.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Red Wedding... specifically Catelyn....
You mean, the elder of the 2 sisters that destroyed Westeros? Iíd say she had it coming. She probably toyed with Petyr Baelish in her youth, driving him crazy and fueling his grand ambitions, all the while making her sister jealous to the point of allowing him to convince her to kill her own husband. Canít blame Cersei for that one. The act that really started the whole thing to begin with. And letís not forget, Catelynís own husband didnít even trust her with his sisterís secret. Why? Isnít that what drove her to mistreat Jon Snow, forcing him to ďtake the blackĒ when Ned left for the capital, leaving Winterfell exposed when Robb went to war? How about Catelyn making the unilateral decision to let the only man that Cersei ever loved go free? Iíd say, in terms of harm done in Westeros, the throne belongs to Lady Stark.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Cat Stark is responsible for the War of Five Kings because she didn't pity fuck Littlefinger? WTF?
Old 05-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
You mean, the elder of the 2 sisters that destroyed Westeros? Iíd say she had it coming. She probably toyed with Petyr Baelish in her youth, driving him crazy and fueling his grand ambitions, all the while making her sister jealous to the point of allowing him to convince her to kill her own husband.
I didn't finish the book series, but literally nothing in the TV series would even begin to suggest she did that.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You mean, the elder of the 2 sisters that destroyed Westeros? Iíd say she had it coming. She probably toyed with Petyr Baelish in her youth, driving him crazy and fueling his grand ambitions, all the while making her sister jealous to the point of allowing him to convince her to kill her own husband. Canít blame Cersei for that one. The act that really started the whole thing to begin with. And letís not forget, Catelynís own husband didnít even trust her with his sisterís secret. Why? Isnít that what drove her to mistreat Jon Snow, forcing him to ďtake the blackĒ when Ned left for the capital, leaving Winterfell exposed when Robb went to war? How about Catelyn making the unilateral decision to let the only man that Cersei ever loved go free? Iíd say, in terms of harm done in Westeros, the throne belongs to Lady Stark.

How delightfully incel of you.

Catelyn obviously did not help things when she arrested Tyrion.. but... jesus man...
Old 05-03-2019, 12:15 PM

I read all the books so the first big death I didn’t see coming was Hodor’s and it hit me like a ton of bricks, mostly because of how artfully it was done. Shireen was a close second, mostly because I was Team Stannis all the way until that moment.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Catelyn obviously did not help things when she arrested Tyrion.. but... jesus man...
In fairness, her decision to release Jaime Lannister pretty much cost the North the war. Thereís no way Tywin wouldíve tried any wedding shenanigans while Robb still had his beloved son hostage.

And if sheíd never kidnapped Tyrion on nothing more than Littlefingerís say-so, he probably wouldíve gone back to Casterly Rock and spent the rest of his days goofing off and Stannis wouldíve likely won the Battle of the Blackwater. Plus, she was a total bitch to Jon Snow for no reason at all.

Yeah, Catelynís a very interesting character but mostly for how bad she sucks at almost everything.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:59 PM

I think for me it was when my Dad died of a heart attack watching The Red Wedding.

No, on second thought it was when they killed Shaggydog.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:40 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
...Drogo was a product of his environment, but he never really hinted at wanting to settle down and just be a gentleman farmer somewhere. HIS big concession was allowing missionary....
Cowgirl, wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
...Shireen was a close second, mostly because I was Team Stannis all the way until that moment.
Burning all those people to death on Dragonstone when they wouldn't embrace the Lord of Light, and assassinating Renly with a smoke baby, didn't bother you a teensy bit?
Old 05-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Quote:

If you've been here for 14 years, then you surely know that personal insults are not allowed here. This is an official Warning for personal insults.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I think for me it was when my Dad died of a heart attack watching The Red Wedding.

No, on second thought it was when they killed Shaggydog.
I laughed at this and now I feel like a terrible person. Like, Melisandre terrible.

I chose book Ned because his death re-calibrated my whole outlook on, like, life. All other deaths after Ned's just reinforced my new outlook on life.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

If you've been here for 14 years, then you surely know that personal insults are not allowed here. This is an official Warning for personal insults.
Thanks Chronos. Had to look up incel because of it.

Anyway, I actually posted my comment in the wrong thread. It was meant to be in the ďGOT Heinous Characters ď thread, and was meant to be a somewhat humorous take on the path that the thread was on... which would conclude with just about every character being evil, depending on oneís perspective.

So the whole Little Finger becoming ambitious because of Cat was definitely a stretch. After all, Lysa was the true first domino to fall, under the guidance of the puppet master Little Finger. But the other parts are fair points about Cat. Why didnít her own husband trust her with his secret about Jon Snow? It certainly would have saved a lot of family stress. Why did Cat hate Jon Snow his whole life? He was just a baby when he got to Winterfell. Shouldnít her gripe be with Ned? Itís like she hated him for just being born. Is that any different than Cerseiís hatred of Tyrion? Jon surely left for the wall because his ďfatherĒ would be leaving for Kingís Landing. If Jon was still in Winterfell, I donít think Theon invades it while Robb is at war. And of course, letting Jaime go.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Jon surely left for the wall because his ďfatherĒ would be leaving for Kingís Landing.
No, Jon was sent to the Wall because that's the only way Robert wouldn't see him as a threat and have him killed if someone worked out the truth. That's what the "We'll talk about your mother when I get back." line was about, it would be safe to tell him who he really is once he's taken the Black.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:04 PM

If I recall correctly, the Wall was also the socially approved place to send bastards. It got them out of the way, and if they left, they were executed. It helped keep lines of succession less messy (HA).
Old 05-03-2019, 06:49 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I didn't finish the book series...
Neither did George R. R. Martin.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Why did Cat hate Jon Snow his whole life? He was just a baby when he got to Winterfell. Shouldnít her gripe be with Ned? Itís like she hated him for just being born. Is that any different than Cerseiís hatred of Tyrion?
That's a good comparison I hadn't picked up on.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...Why did Cat hate Jon Snow his whole life? He was just a baby when he got to Winterfell. Shouldnít her gripe be with Ned? Itís like she hated him for just being born. Is that any different than Cerseiís hatred of Tyrion?....
Ned was her lord and master, by Westerosi law and custom, and had given her a wonderful family otherwise. She loved him. She wasn't going to hate on him, under the circumstances. But Jon was there in her household, day after day reminding her (as she thought) of her husband's unfaithfulness to her. Women hating the children by other women of their men is an old, old trope.