Old 05-03-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Jack Batty @46:. So, youíre not the drummer or the lead guitar in the band. Are you okay with getting so much less pussy?
Hey, I'm the Lennon of the band. So I get all the ...

... yeah, it kind of sucks.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Well, the pig has human facial features in my version. Yep, I'll finish and on time. I always do. As far as seeing her, she's kinda related to me, alas.
Which makes it easier to remember what she looks like while you're painting the pig's face!
Old 05-03-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Which makes it easier to remember what she looks like while you're painting the pig's face!
I like the way you roll.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 AM

While you're painting pictures of animals with recognizable human-like faces, keep in mind the priceless cover from the National Lampoon March, 1976 issue, celebrating the month of March with the theme "In like a lion". I'm sure you can work Lady Librarian into that sort of theme.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
While you're painting pictures of animals with recognizable human-like faces, keep in mind the priceless cover from the National Lampoon March, 1976 issue, celebrating the month of March with the theme "In like a lion". I'm sure you can work Lady Librarian into that sort of theme.
Oh, it's gonna be good. I've been reworking pigface all evening.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Trex, the wonder decking material, rots. Not sure how old our back deck is, but the Trex has a few soft spots that just barely support an adult footstep. What brought this to my attention was when a soft spot gave way under my ladder a month and a half ago, dropping me 15 feet onto the deck and fucking up my right elbow (bone stick out!). It's all put back together and healing fine I guess but it still fukkin hurts, I can't extend my arm all the way and I can't turn palm upwards. Awesome 8-inch ORIF scar, though. Having a daughter draw me a tattoo proposal to cover it next year. Looking like we'll be going with Marceline the vampire queen wailing on her axe, and sporting a centipede body.

I'm down to just two 18 year old boys (and The Missus) living in the house. Think they can be troubled to do any work around the house? Clean up after themselves? Maybe tear off the rotten Trex and lay down some new stuff? Naw, not without someone standing by with a whip. One's all set to move out in a couple months so that's cool. The last one though, who isn't my crazy one--he grew up & moved out in February, he may never leave.

And I don't even want to get started on the goddamned dogs. I loathe the dogs.
I wish you luck in PT getting that elbow right. I did those boring-as-fuck PT exercises until I thought my head would explode and the therapist mentioned dry needling. I know people think that's woo, but it made all the difference to me. No dinosaur arm!!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Our old drummer wasn't working out - he wanted more star-time and, frankly, his songs kind of sucked, so we got a new guy in who is a-fucking-mazing. Best drummer I've ever played with. But he's also in a wedding band that makes actual scratch. We've already had to back out of a gig that would have been awesome. It was for a promotional event at a local brewery - we have an in and we performed there last year and it went great guns.

Not to mention that our lead guitarist is also in another working band and that has caused a cancellation or two as well. It sucks because I can't really blame the other guys for their commitments. I really like them on a personal level as well as playing with them, it just sucks to be the other band they play in.
The OTHER band they play in? Oh, nononono.

Youíre a part of their supergroup.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
The OTHER band they play in? Oh, nononono.

Youíre a part of their supergroup.
Yeah, you're one of Ringo's All-Stars.

Hmmm, if you were Steve Lukather... wouldn't you rather be in Ringo's band than dreaming about a possible Toto reunion that'd play the Nebraska State Fair?
Old 05-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Hmmm, if you were Steve Lukather... wouldn't you rather be in Ringo's band than dreaming about a possible Toto reunion that'd play the Nebraska State Fair?
I once missed a chance to see Tiny Tim at the Blue Hill Fair in Maine.

I kinda miss the maple walnut ice cream more.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
... yeah, it kind of sucks.
Thank you for taking that post in the light-hearted spirit I meant. After I submitted it, I was worried that it sounded kind of shitty.

Címere for HUGS, big guy.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I once missed a chance to see Tiny Tim at the Blue Hill Fair in Maine.

I kinda miss the maple walnut ice cream more.
I think Friendly's still has that as a flavor.

I go for butter crunch, myself.

Last edited by Morgyn; 05-04-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
I think Friendly's still has that as a flavor.

I go for butter crunch, myself.
Do they have Black Raspberry? As an ice cream, not a sherbet?

Thatís the OTHER ice cream that only the holy state of Maine offers me. Oh god, that Black Raspberry....
Old 05-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do they have Black Raspberry? As an ice cream, not a sherbet?

Thatís the OTHER ice cream that only the holy state of Maine offers me. Oh god, that Black Raspberry....
They still have black raspberry. Look for yourself.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Oh, dear OG, cat, WILL YOU SHUT UP.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:38 PM

I play drums. Just sayin'...
Old 05-04-2019, 10:03 PM

What do you call a groupie who hangs out with musicians?

A drummer.

Ba-da-TISH!
Old 05-05-2019, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That would hardly be appropriate as there were no lions in Charlotte's Web.

Now if Beckdawrek can convince them to let her do a Chronicles of Narnia mural, then it would be on point.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:51 AM

I just want to rant about people/friends asking me:

"Are you free on date x?" without specifying what they have in mind that date. Happens both with my friends and professionally (I'm a semi-pro musician).

Because if I say yes, it's then super hard to get out of their proposal politely, even if I really don't want to, because I've just admitted I'm free. It's manipulative IMO - just because I'm free doesn't mean I automatically want to do your thing. Just say "Hey Pookah, feel like going to the concert tomorrow?" instead, so I can decide without being cornered into it.

Last edited by PookahMacPhellimey; 05-05-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Oh, dear OG, cat, WILL YOU SHUT UP.

that's my cat between 8-11 pm .......see they get their soft food at 10 pm sometimes after depending on what's going on but I have an elderly cat that starts howling at anywhere between 8 and 9 45 ..... it's loud and endless )and it even annoys her feline sisters who show their displeasure) until the second you put the food down ....... and never except once or twice at the most in the 15 of 17 years of this cats life that she's been given soft food has she ever gotten it before 10 pm .....

But feline hope springs eternal I guess ......
Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookahMacPhellimey View Post

"Are you free on date x?" without specifying what they have in mind that date. Happens both with my friends and professionally (I'm a semi-pro musician).

Because if I say yes, it's then super hard to get out of their proposal politely, even if I really don't want to, because I've just admitted I'm free. It's manipulative IMO - just because I'm free doesn't mean I automatically want to do your thing. Just say "Hey Pookah, feel like going to the concert tomorrow?" instead, so I can decide without being cornered into it.
Heh. I use my gf as a buffer to those questions. "I'll check with her and let you know. What's going on?"
Old 05-05-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Heh. I use my gf as a buffer to those questions. "I'll check with her and let you know. What's going on?"
That's great advice, thanks!
Old 05-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
that's my cat between 8-11 pm .......see they get their soft food at 10 pm sometimes after depending on what's going on but I have an elderly cat that starts howling at anywhere between 8 and 9 45 ..... it's loud and endless )and it even annoys her feline sisters who show their displeasure) until the second you put the food down ....... and never except once or twice at the most in the 15 of 17 years of this cats life that she's been given soft food has she ever gotten it before 10 pm .....

But feline hope springs eternal I guess ......
If our cats see the bottom of the bowl, they go running around and howling until you check it out.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
That would hardly be appropriate as there were no lions in Charlotte's Web.

Now if Beckdawrek can convince them to let her do a Chronicles of Narnia mural, then it would be on point.
There's a nice spider though. I can work with that!
Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Cooking shows are do as I say not as I do..on Restaurant Impossible, Robert Irvine yelled at a server she shouldn’t be handling prepared foods without gloves. Then he went in the kitchen and did the same thing. Chopped same thing, actually any or all of them...drives me nuts!

Last edited by eenerms; 05-05-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's great advice, thanks!
Miss Manners recommends, "I dunno - a couple things I oughta do. What are you doing?" Then you can say that the couple things will prevent you from helping clean their garage, but not get in the way of being taken out to dinner.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 PM

And then after they explain, and it's something I want to do, I'll say "Wow, thanks. really hope I can go. Let me see if I can reschedule something."

That gives me 24 hrs to look at what else is going on, work and wife's calendar, finances, and sleep deficit (a lot of stuff I get invited to runs expensive and late).

Keeps me from committing and THEN realizing I shouldn't have.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Cooking shows are do as I say not as I do..on Restaurant Impossible, Robert Irvine yelled at a server she shouldnít be handling prepared foods without gloves. Then he went in the kitchen and did the same thing. Chopped same thing, actually any or all of them...drives me nuts!
A server is also handling contaminated objects such as used cutlery, plates, glasses, money, credit cards, etc.

A kitchen worker should be doing loads of handwashing instead.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

You just have to come out and ask outright. "If you're inviting me to a pig-pickin', yes; if you need a ride to the airport, no." You don't want to have to play games to find out which.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:56 PM

1. My current earworm- or really, my for-the-past-few-days earworm- is a bland royalty-free song I used for a video for work. It's not TERRIBLE, but I've been stuck with it and as soon as I think it's gone, there it is again. The thing that annoys me even more is that it's not even the original song- it's a replacement because I couldn't figure out my way around all the copyright stuff with the original (and trust me, I tried). So it's just kind of slapped on there because it fits okay in length/tempo/feel and the lyrics don't exactly add to it, but don't take away from it either.

2. I got grocery delivery earlier in the week and I'm disappointed both in the quality of the groceries I got (most of the produce isn't good and the pita bread was one day from the expiry date and looked and tasted crappy- like it had been frozen and thawed too many times, maybe) and my grocery choices. I got groceries on Thursday and currently have nothing I both want to eat and am capable of preparing. The really stupid thing is, I REALLY want a casserole. Which is dumb because "casserole" is more a category of food than really one food. I think it's just that I want something hot and comforting and uncomplicated.

3. Rescue drama is wearing on me. Just all around. I could really get into it, but it would take up a whole lot of space. It's not just my rescue- there are like four rescues this week that I've seen involved in it. And some of it is from the "outside" like people getting pissy because they were passed over for adopting an animal or disagreed in some other way with some rescue policy. But a lot of it is infighting or fighting/backstabbing/nitpicking/passive-aggressive bullshit between rescues and it's just. so. exhausting. We're all on the same team and it all works so much better if we work together and have each other's backs. Yes, there are differences in structure, rules, philosophy, leadership, resources... and there are a lot of rescues that do things differently than I would do them. But in the end, we're all trying to save animals. We can disagree on whether or not a fenced yard should be a requirement or whether or not rescues should take breeder releases or at what point it would be considered reasonable to euthanize an animal for aggression. But if we're in this for the animals, it's counterproductive to bash each other publicly over stuff like that. Even if you do euthanize one for aggression that could maybe have had a chance with just the right unicorn of a person in just the right setting with a huge amount of work and patience and more than a little bit of personal risk, it doesn't take away the fact that you've saved hundreds or thousands of animals and the world is better with you operating.

4. So the person who was supposed to take me to the doctor last week and flaked... her kid's birthday party is tonight at a skating rink. I love her kids and she keeps going on about how excited they are to see me. Yesterday, she was like, "So are you going to be skating?" I was like, "Um... I can't walk." So. I don't know what I will/should/want to do. I made some moves at trying to find a ride with someone else who wasn't bringing kids and so would be happy to make an appearance for like half an hour, give the kid a hug and a happy birthday, and leave. I have one more person I can ask if I decide I really want to go. I don't want to disappoint the kids (but also am not really sure if they would actually notice or if it's just their mom hyping it up), but also am not sure I'm up to navigating and functioning in a place and setting like a birthday party at a skating rink. It's too public, unfamiliar, and crowded and just... even if I thought I had the stamina for it, everything about me is conspicuous. People will stare. But then on the other hand, I don't want her to think this is a passive-aggressive payback for last week. Ugh.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:17 PM

^^^Don't go, Dorothy. Send your best wishes and stay home and rest. I hope the Rescue stuff eases up. And, complain to the store about your food delivery.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Don’t go. Few things are as excruciating as being social when you don’t feel to be social. Life is short, make on excuse, let it go and have a great night at home!

(And the kids will be happy to see you whenever it happens.)
Old 05-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Nothing wrong at all with bowing out of that...it's never good to force yourself into being social, especially with medical issues.

And I completely feel for you on the Rescue Drama; I've encountered enough of that to wonder why animal rescue organizations attract that sort of drama in the first place.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Fifteen minutes ago, in a process which was long in the making and is not resolved yet (so do not ask for details, sorry), I told my wife (together since 1987!) that it is time for her to move out of my house.

Last edited by JohnT; 05-05-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Fifteen minutes ago, in a process which was long in the making and is not resolved yet (so do not ask for details, sorry), I told my wife (together since 1987!) that it is time for her to move out of my house.
Man, oh, man. That's a bummer. Good luck to you.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
So I complain bitterly about getting the wrong battery from my Kindle, and you come up with this. You realize how petty and whiny that makes me look?

Seriously, man, we've all been through something like this, although since 1987 is a hell of a long time. Sorry to hear it, and best wishes that you get through these troubled times.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know anything about you, and I'm probably off track, but after more than thirty years together saying "my house" instead of "our house" leads me to speculate about the source of the discord.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Lol, no.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:33 PM

I noticed the "my" thing too - it kinda jumped out at me.

I dunno, man, we've only got a few words of yours to go on, so we may very well be over analyzing. You'd know the context better, of course, but I did want to point it out to you.

Feel free to tell us how off-base and wrong we are.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Damn. Good luck to you, JohnT.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I complain bitterly about getting the wrong battery from my Kindle, and you come up with this. You realize how petty and whiny that makes me look?

Seriously, man, we've all been through something like this, although since 1987 is a hell of a long time. Sorry to hear it, and best wishes that you get through these troubled times.
I know, right? This is a mini-rant thread, it's supposed to be about whiny petty stuff. I'm so tired of coming in here to vent about something trivial and have to compete with people's dead cats and major health problems and whatnot!

(Seriously though, I know it's just the nature of the thread. You have to expect "I have cancer!" followed by "I got a paper cut!" Sorry to hear about your troubles JohnT and best of luck!)

Oh, I almost forgot my trivial little gripe. What is it with all the freakin' maple leaf seeds this year? Seems to be a bumper crop year. Those things are everywhere, including clogging my gutters!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Here's my petty gripe, and it's two-fold.

1) Why do people treat "public" bathrooms in a way they would never DREAM of treating their own, no matter how drunk they might have been?? I went to my son's college yesterday to bring back some things for him, as his school year ends in a few days and we were concerned his car didn't have enough room. As we were finishing, I asked if there was a public bathroom in the lobby area of the dorm.

He said yes, but it wasn't always in the greatest of shape. He walked toward the door, pointed it out, and said "use at your own risk".

Well I was probably in the room for less than a second overall. The STENCH was the worst I've ever experienced. The very brief glance at the toilet, from across the room, showed it to be nearly overflowing with toilet paper and excrement. The brief glance at the excrement suggested it wasn't HUMAN... honestly, it looked to me like somebody scoured the entire town and picked up every reasonably fresh dog turd they could find and tossed it in. This being a Sunday, during exams, I find it quite plausible that someone might have done just that in a fit of drunken Saturday night blowing-off of steam. I suppose their industry is to be commended (?), as there aren't many dogs on campus, so they'd have had to go some way to do so!

2) Why on earth is there no posted method of calling in a maintenance request (or if there is, why didn't someone do so)? I've seen that in office buildings. If the mess was someone being very ill in there, they could have called it in. And otherwise, I can't have been the first person to discover it - someone else could have called it in. I did not stay in the room long enough to look for a sign with a number to call.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
No dinosaur arm!!
Oh. My. God. Yup, that's exactly the only comfortable position! And I've heard that about dry needling. Nobody ever seems to be able to say why it works, but they also don't care why because it does.

I have to go to NYC (lower Manhattan) next weekend and do formal, social stuff as The Missus' eye candy. Denver is about as much city as I'm comfortable in, my idea of formal is denims and a clean concert tee-shirt, and my idea of social is petting two cats at the same time. Upside is we're attending & partying with these ladies, which is the *squee* equivalent of me spending the weekend with The Damned.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Sorry for ruining y'all's little gripe thread!

Yeah, I'm avoiding all mentions of this on all my SM accounts and... as I said... no more details will follow here on the SDMB until all the legal stuff is done. However, I have been a part of this community for years and while my restraint has been quite admirable, this weekend at home was kind of a ! in the middle of the Great Unwinding and I felt the above post was the best I could do... from a legally protective position, at this moment... to just vent a little bit.

Last edited by JohnT; 05-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry for ruining y'all's little gripe thread!

Yeah, I'm avoiding all mentions of this on all my SM accounts and... as I said... no more details will follow here on the SDMB until all the legal stuff is done. However, I have been a part of this community for years and while my restraint has been quite admirable, this weekend at home was kind of a ! in the middle of the Great Unwinding and I felt the above post was the best I could do... from a legally protective position, at this moment... to just vent a little bit.
And I'm fine with that. Not that my opinion matters much. You watch out for yourself. That's only prudent. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
You just have to come out and ask outright. "If you're inviting me to a pig-pickin', yes; if you need a ride to the airport, no." You don't want to have to play games to find out which.
Yeah, with some people - and definitely music stuff - I'm leaning towards that option.

Btw, it's not always about getting out of lifts to the airport and helping people move and other chores. As a friend, I'm okay with doing those once in a while. It's just that many of my friends want to do "fun stuff" all the time, whereas often I just really want the sofa and a book or the harp and then Netflix, and I resent having my time filled up with someone else's idea of a good time. Probably a bit of assertiveness and honesty might be the best policy.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:37 PM

This is definitely a mini-rant. Last night as I was falling asleep I had a brilliant idea. If I did "this" it would make "this process" so much easier. Wow, awesome, I can't believe I never thought of this before, I should really write this down. (I keep paper and pen on the night table just for things like this.) But I was almost asleep and thought it was just so brilliantly obvious that I would remember it as soon as I did "this process" today. So, yeah, no. Nothing is clicking at work. Home for lunch, I walked around the house considering things I need to do and still nothing. I hate when that happens.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:16 PM

I had an early appt. at the doctor. His first one of the day on Monday. He looked a bit unsteady on his feet. I thought, God can I trust this hungover jerk? We went through the routine. He did alot of writing. Called the nurse in to stick my finger. Sent me to pee in a cup. When I came out the nurse said I could go. I asked her was the doctor ok, she said he ran a marathon over the weekend. Well, thank god. I thought he was nursing a hangover. She called me later and said my numbers looked good.
Rant, maybe the Doc should've taken the day off instead of worrying me.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
If our cats see the bottom of the bowl, they go running around and howling until you check it out.
I have to escort my cat to his food bowl to make sure he knows that yes, there is still food in there.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Shiva has always been talkative, but in his old age it's gotten ... multiple times a day he'll start wowing for no reason at all, and he'll keep it up for 20 minutes or so, and his voice is loud and very, very piercing. Food doesn't stop it. Play doesn't stop it. Pets doesn't stop it. I don't know what he wants, I can't stop him from making noise and it goes onandonandon.

Doc says that except for the IBD and being old (15), he's pretty healthy. As far as I can tell, he's in no pain.

I love him, but there are some days when I wish I could gag him.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I was told when my good old kitty got this way that some cats use a sort of echolocation when they start losing their sight a bit. Further, they often are somewhat deaf so modulating the voice is difficult. With my old guy I would cuddle him for a couple of minutes and he'd stop vocalizing and pretty much fall asleep. If cuddling doesn't help I dunno.

I did have a friend who got tranquilizers for her old cat when he was being really loud and it seemed to help but I don't know how good it was for him. But if the cat is a bit panicky because they don't see well or something it might be a good answer. If your vet isn't helping maybe try a different vet? Or maybe you haven't discussed it with him?