Old 05-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Not sure what the county's been doing to our street for the past few months but now they're outside the dining room windows, making a huge racket and shaking the concrete & steel building.
They've been putting in a new water main. We were connected to the new main yesterday and the spray paint lines pretty much stop at the entrance to the parking lot so I'm hoping either today or tomorrow will be the last day of noise.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-09-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

LORD THUNDERING JESUS, the noise! The exact same thing is going on in front of my house! Every window in this 135yr old house shudders, the pictures on the walls are always askew, and a couple of times things have actually fallen from shelves! Yikes!

They’ve been running that combo steam roller/pounder, up and down, in front of my house all morning. It’s been brutal.

Alas, a mighty thunderstorm has just arrived and all work has ceased! I’ll take the sound of a hard rain any time!
Old 05-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Alas, a mighty thunderstorm has just arrived and all work has ceased! I’ll take the sound of a hard rain any time!
Same thing here last week. Severe storm came through Friday while the water was shut off and delayed turning it back on.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:10 PM

I watch a fair amount of YouTube. I found out just minutes ago that a YouTuber I really like, whose content I really enjoy, is a creep and that he cheated on his wife. Fuck. He’d solicit nudes from his fans and would also send them nudes, sometime unsolicited. One woman was alleged to be 16 at the time. Then he was banging another lady that was not his wife.

Just gross. Why did I waste my time on him?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
I do not find myself inclined to reply to Ankita Singh from Infoholic Research, despite his/her cheery email opening salutation of "Hello Default Value , Hope you are doing good!"

Call me old fashioned, but I think you need some time to establish a connection before addressing me so intimately as "Default Value".
Dammit, I've been kaylasdad99 on here for nearly twenty years, and this is the first time I've ever had to contemplate the idea that I chose the wrong handle.

Because Default Value sounds PERFECT!
Old 05-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I think it's an awfully high price to pay for 'symbolism'. And the actors and sports guys aren't living off the public dole. They are paid to produce.

And yet they cost the British taxpayers so many millions of pounds per year....

I wonder how they acquired their 'landed estates and financial assets'? Could it be inheritance from being Royal?

Parasites.

Which is really none of my business. And since it is none of my business, I don't want to see 3 or 4 news stories about the Royals every goddamned day.
Be that as it may, Pab Sungenis got in a pretty good one today...
Old 05-09-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Dammit, I've been kaylasdad99 on here for nearly twenty years, and this is the first time I've ever had to contemplate the idea that I chose the wrong handle.

Because Default Value sounds PERFECT!
I've been here long enough to remember... and you may have participated in... screeching, hate-filled Pit Threads about screenames that define you by your relationship to another person.

Ahhhh, the good old days!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

A few weeks ago, the cheap grocery store had bacon at $3.49 a pound. Today I noticed it was $4.49 for the same package.

Good thing I stocked up.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:14 AM

I'm tired of being treated like a potential criminal by stores. Yesterday I went to [big warehouse type place that I won't mention by name so I don't get ads] for my family. I'm not a member because I disagree in principle with having to show a receipt at the door for products I just purchased thirty seconds ago and ten yards away. There was a line to do so and I said screw it and just walked out with what I bought. This of course caused squawking and reminded me why I hate these fucking places.

Yes, I realize stores actually do lose a lot of money from shoplifting. I also realize I'm not a person doing that, and I resent this practice. As I understand it, they have the legal right to hold you for the police if they suspect you've shoplifted. One day when I have the time, I'm going to make them do it. Except that won't happen because I only ever go there as a favor to someone and using their card.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
... I only ever go there as a favor to someone and using their card.
Their Card, as opposed to YOUR Card, which you don't have. And which is a requirement to make purchases at that store. So you're using someone else's credentials to effect a transaction from which you'd normally be barred. Sounds a bit like fraud and/or trespassing to me. Criminal. One such place has a sister store that doesn't require a card, but they still like to randomly check receipts. I just say, "No thanks." and keep moving. And that's the end of that. They don't get paid enough to pull the pin on jackasses like me.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Their Card, as opposed to YOUR Card, which you don't have. And which is a requirement to make purchases at that store. So you're using someone else's credentials to effect a transaction from which you'd normally be barred. Sounds a bit like fraud and/or trespassing to me. Criminal. One such place has a sister store that doesn't require a card, but they still like to randomly check receipts. I just say, "No thanks." and keep moving. And that's the end of that. They don't get paid enough to pull the pin on jackasses like me.
I was going for a sick family member at their request and paid cash. And so what? Still not something we should put up with, membership driven business or not.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 AM

Criminal justifies his criminality.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
I do not find myself inclined to reply to Ankita Singh from Infoholic Research, despite his/her cheery email opening salutation of "Hello Default Value , Hope you are doing good!"

Call me old fashioned, but I think you need some time to establish a connection before addressing me so intimately as "Default Value".
I agree, but obviously Ankita Singh from Infoholic Research has a worse problem than that. Many, in fact.

The most egregious error of all is the most obvious one. In "Hello Default Value , Hope you are doing good!" we are appalled by the use of an adjective ("good") instead of the necessary adverb modifying the verb, thus: "doing well", not "doing good", the latter of which implies volunteer work at a soup kitchen.

Somewhat less shocking but also irritating are the unnecessary space between the addressee's name and the following comma, the incorrect capitalization of the "H" in "Hope", and the rather ostentatious exclamation mark at the end. Not to mention that the entire sentence lacks a subject. Is the expressed sentiment not that "WE hope you are doing well"?

The perfunctory "Hello" is also counterproductive as it serves no purpose in written communication. One may choose to use a traditional greeting like "dear", but otherwise, the only appropriate salutation would be a reference to the person's rank, gender, or other official status, if any.

This nonsense would end if I were in charge of the IT department putting out letters. The salutation would definitely read like one of the following, all of which are not only correct, but downright motivating:

Dear Mr. Default Value,
We hope you are doing well. We hope that there is a Mrs. Default Value in your life, and if not, that the prospective Mrs. Default Value is at least providing you with a good time.

Dear Mrs. (or Ms., if you want to be an ass about it) Default Value,
We hope you are doing well. And if you are a Ms. rather than a Mrs., and desiring otherwise, that your fortunes will improve, and may your union be blessed.

Dear Sergeant-Major Default Value,
We hope you are doing well. We want you to know how much we support our armed forces.

Last edited by wolfpup; 05-10-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Criminal justifies his criminality.
Ha! Reminds of my regular grocery store when they insist on putting a "paid" sticker on gallons of milk or cases of soda, and there is NOT someone checking receipts at the door. I'm always amused at the idea that they might have a SWAT type team lurking in wait, about to swoop down on someone without the sticker.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I agree, but obviously Ankita Singh from Infoholic Research has a worse problem than that. Many, in fact.

The most egregious error of all is the most obvious one. In "Hello Default Value , Hope you are doing good!" we are appalled by the use of an adjective ("good") instead of the necessary adverb modifying the verb, thus: "doing well", not "doing good", the latter of which implies volunteer work at a soup kitchen.
Have you considered that Ankita Singh from Infoholic Research may mean just that? Huh? Anything wrong with doing some good in the world?

I was going to minirant about either the flytipper who keeps dumping stuff on my commute (looks like a stove today, it was three bags of tree prunings last time), or the people who have yet to discover the purpose of those funny flashy lever controlled lights on their car, thus clogging up the roundabout for no reason when it's busy but I couldn't decide which.

So, as a micro all purpose combi-rant: selfish idiots, please stop.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:56 AM

I forgot to mention in #163 that in the event that Miss, or Ms, or Mrs Default Value does in fact bear children as God intended when he bestowed fertility upon the female of the species, that she procreate untold numbers of Default Values upon the earth. And if some of the Default Values be irrational numbers, then it is God's will, though Lord preserve us if they ever get to vote.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I've found that a large Mcdonald's cup (or similar) is a perfect vomit receptical. It's the right size, has a good lid and has rigid sides. I know this because, while I was pregnant, I had morning sickness. And would often been nauseated on my way to work. You can see where this is going.
They can also be used as emergency potties when you've got a 4 year old who "can't wait any longer!!".

We wound up doing this with Moon Unit - twice within a week. The second time it happened, as we were looking for a place to park so she could do the necessary, the first lot we came to was at the Iwo Jima Memorial.

Cup used... covered and tossed in the nearest trash can. My husband looked at me in horror and said "We just desecrated a national monument!!".

My latest, speaking of the Metro: My husband commutes that way. I usually drop him off and pick him up. There's a lane that cars are supposed to pull over into for that purpose, and two travel lanes just to the left of that.

However, this is evidently too much of a hardship - and I'd say at least half the cars doing dropoff drive to the front, and stop - blocking traffic - to let their passengers out. It's especially nice when there's another car wanting to do the same, except moron #1 is blocking the righthand lane - so they pull up and block the **lefthand** lane.

Then there are the "can't be driven by my WIFE" fools. The car pulls up to a stop. Sometimes in the correct curbside lane, sometimes in a travel lane. The passenger - female - gets out. The driver - male - ALSO gets out. The passenger goes around to the driver's side, gets in, and drives the car away while the male goes on into the station.

WTF. guys??? It would be so much easier to just sit in the passenger seat, grab your things and hop out - but no, when you're travelling with the wifey, YOU have to be the driver.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
I'm tired of being treated like a potential criminal by stores. Yesterday I went to [big warehouse type place that I won't mention by name so I don't get ads] for my family. I'm not a member because I disagree in principle with having to show a receipt at the door for products I just purchased thirty seconds ago and ten yards away. There was a line to do so and I said screw it and just walked out with what I bought. This of course caused squawking and reminded me why I hate these fucking places.

Yes, I realize stores actually do lose a lot of money from shoplifting. I also realize I'm not a person doing that, and I resent this practice. As I understand it, they have the legal right to hold you for the police if they suspect you've shoplifted. One day when I have the time, I'm going to make them do it. Except that won't happen because I only ever go there as a favor to someone and using their card.
The Walmart in my town started pulling that shit recently too. If you try to walk out of the store with anything not in a bag (like a box of cat litter), the reciept monkeys leap out of nowhere. I can usually sneak out through the garden center but I noticed they've started posting someone there too to catch all the little old ladies stealing the flats of tomatoes they just paid for.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:06 AM

Illinois Democrats, quick, pull your heads out of your asses! Do you want to know why there's a perception that Democrats want to raise your taxes and otherwise dig into your wallet?

"A proposed hike in Illinois’ annual registration fee for electric vehicles, from $17.50 to $1,000, is being called unfair by current EV owners, and a sales disincentive by manufacturers — just as the new technology is beginning to gain broader traction.
“It’s outrageous,” said Nicoletta Skarlatos, 56, of Chicago, who bought a Tesla Model S five years ago. “I thought Illinois was progressive and would want to encourage EV ownership.”
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...509-story.html
Old 05-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Illinois Democrats, quick, pull your heads out of your asses! Do you want to know why there's a perception that Democrats want to raise your taxes and otherwise dig into your wallet?

"A proposed hike in Illinois’ annual registration fee for electric vehicles, from $17.50 to $1,000, is being called unfair by current EV owners, and a sales disincentive by manufacturers — just as the new technology is beginning to gain broader traction.
“It’s outrageous,” said Nicoletta Skarlatos, 56, of Chicago, who bought a Tesla Model S five years ago. “I thought Illinois was progressive and would want to encourage EV ownership.”
I agree with you. The EV registration fee is particularly short-sighted and extreme. It provides a punitive disincentive precisely where government should be providing strong incentives. As usual, Democrats have a laudable goal -- responsibly maintaining the highway infrastructure -- but a piss-poor implementation that Republicans will pounce on. Of course Republicans' solution to the infrastructure problem is to just ignore it and promise lower taxes, and if a piece of highway overpass breaks off and kills someone, blame Obama.

What to do? Higher gas and diesel taxes are actually a good thing because the cost of these fuels has never adequately covered their environmental costs, and the US has among the lowest fuel costs anywhere outside of the Middle East oil region. The best opportunity to do this is uniformly at the federal level and redistributing some of it to the states. The US federal excise tax is a fixed amount that hasn't changed in 26 years. The problem with this solution is that much of the federal government is infested with morons.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Cup used... covered and tossed in the nearest trash can. My husband looked at me in horror and said "We just desecrated a national monument!!".
Shades of Ozzy Osbourne!
Old 05-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Oh, so they had a kid?

I might have guessed that... I caught a glimpse of Harry's face on TV, and saw Megan Whatever's name on a newspaper. I'm kind of proud of myself for being analog enough this month that i'm not being kept up on Stuff That's Not That Important.

Is it their first? Oh, never mind, I really don't care.

But it's harmless... anyhow, I'm happy for them. (in case the Queen Mum asks what my reaction was)
If the Queen Mum asks about your reaction we're in the middle of a Romero movie (the Queen Mum isn't EII; she was EII's mother).

Last edited by Nava; 05-11-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
The Walmart in my town started pulling that shit recently too. If you try to walk out of the store with anything not in a bag (like a box of cat litter), the reciept monkeys leap out of nowhere. I can usually sneak out through the garden center but I noticed they've started posting someone there too to catch all the little old ladies stealing the flats of tomatoes they just paid for.
I'll just say that Walmart is famous for pinching nickels until the buffalo screams, so they have undoubtedly lost enough product that it is worth the money to post a minimum wage drone to check.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I explain to the receipt monkeys that if they want to check they'll need either probable cause or something more intimidating than an old fart in a blue vest. So far; no one has seen fit to make it an issue, but they sometimes threaten to stop me "the next time".
Old 05-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
I explain to the receipt monkeys that if they want to check they'll need either probable cause or something more intimidating than an old fart in a blue vest. So far; no one has seen fit to make it an issue, but they sometimes threaten to stop me "the next time".
If I can't get out through the garden center, I wait until they're distracted by someone else and sprint through the door.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post

Yeah, that's definitely the Bad Idea of the Day.

This is also why I don't like the idea of special use taxes that are dedicated to this or that purpose. We should levy taxes to fund the operations of government (including, in appropriate cases, taxes on things that we want to discourage the use of, like fossil fuels), those taxes should go into the general fund, and the legislature should appropriate money from the general fund to pay for the things that they, our elected representatives, have determined society needs (and can't or won't be properly provided for by the free market). Schemes for specially allocated taxes--like American states do with gas taxes--just create all sorts of perverse incentives, so you get "blue states" wanting to massively dis-incentivize a technology that they damned well should still be seeking to nurture and encourage.

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 05-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Flying out of Reno today. TSA told me I needed to be patted down. I asked for a private screening. The woman got pissy on me. Asked for a female supervisor to come in. They patted around my crotchal area. I wasn’t happy
Old 05-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Oh yeah my mother who lives in an assisted living place had money stolen from her. It’s been an on going thing there. Monday think I raise a little hell. The place she lives in isn’t cheap, and it privately owned.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:22 PM

It was supposed to take one day to get my MRI results back and it took a week of fighting with them to finally get a form e-mail saying "your results are normal. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns." So nothing at all about what to do next. I sent a message to ask and no response yet. I should be happy that there's no brain tumor or anything, but this means no answers, no plan, no prognosis... and I'm just so drained of any capacity to "hang in there" or "stay strong" or "be positive" or anything. All I've got right now is "drink fluids so that you don't get dehydrated from crying so much" and "stay away from everyone."

And my very favorite cat, my little soul sister... is getting adopted tomorrow. Again, should be good. It's not my first rodeo. I know they don't stay forever. She's been with us for two years, though, and she's very opinionated and generally hates everyone but me, so... it's just a surprise and it's a good thing, but it's a loss at a moment when I just can't handle a loss.

And my animal stories, which had been doing great... getting 60,000+ views, getting hard-to-adopt animals out the door... they're not getting looked at and not getting the animals out like they were. I don't know if my writing is suffering, if my pictures suck, what the problem is... I don't know.

And I can't get warm. I'm freezing. Space heater, electric blanket... still freezing.

And I hate art. I was never artistic to begin with and now it's my job because the people in charge at work just somehow decided I was and so I keep trying to be. They ask me to make something and I make it, but it's just never quite good. And whereas I used to be able to see other people's art and just kind of admire it the way I might admire an olympic athlete while being completely fine with the fact that I would never be able to accomplish that... now I see even the simplest art and I can't help but compare. Photography is the same. I hate everything I do. Everything I do is clumsy and inept.

And I hate living outside the range of every kind of food delivery. And I hate not being able to walk or talk or function. I just want to clean my house and go grocery shopping and cook and work.

And I finally told my mom about my broken head (we're not estranged, but we're not very close. I would never, say, call her to ask for advice or tell her about my day.) and she's going back and forth between insisting that I try all kinds of batshit alternative treatments and trying really hard to come up with ways that this is probably my fault.

And I'm so angry that euthanasia isn't available to humans. With a dog, there's always the option to say "enough is enough" and draw a line and stop. Quality of life is a consideration and peaceful death is considered better than poor quality of life. It's reasonable to opt for euthanasia over expensive Hail-Mary treatments or tests based on odds, ability to pay, and the animal's level of suffering in the meantime. This is a part of my everyday life. This is the healthcare system I'm most used to. Where there's always a stop button and using it is considered a legitimate and loving option. It's complete bullshit that it isn't the same for humans. I know a lot of people have it a lot worse than I do, but I've got nothing left and I can't do this much longer. Some people go years without any kind of diagnosis or relief. YEARS. I can't. I can barely leave my house and feeding the cats and scooping litterboxes is a huge struggle. I'm a defective piece of meat. Years? I can't. I want out.

Overall, I'm just not having a good day and every stupid little thing seems like the end of the world and I don't even drink or smoke pot or anything like that, so I don't even have that to take the edge off and the cats I do have are semiferal and won't let me pet them unless they decide it's time for petting, so I don't have that either. So I'm just going to... I don't know, watch the stupid British Baking Show and cry and hope I fall asleep, I guess.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Oh, Dorothy. I'm so sorry for you. Can you get to a hospital? You need to tell them you're suicidal. You have to get some help. Now. Don't wait and make another appt. with your GP. They are not helping you. I humbly suggest you go tonight, to an ER.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

^^^^ That thing that Beck said ^^^^
Old 05-11-2019, 11:28 PM

What Beck said. Also, see if the people who took the MRIs will give you copies (it should be on a digital support such as a thumb drive, not paper printouts). It's YOUR information, you should be entitled to it and that way you can show them to any doctors as needed.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
What Beck said. Also, see if the people who took the MRIs will give you copies (it should be on a digital support such as a thumb drive, not paper printouts). It's YOUR information, you should be entitled to it and that way you can show them to any doctors as needed.
And you should be able to get a report of the radiologist's actual observations. "Your results are normal" strikes me as a little succinct, not to mention terse.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Extended family Mother's Day dinner is scheduled for after I have to leave for work. I'm not offended by that, but I was bothered by the pressure to show up (and bring stuff) before I go to work and while they're cooking food I won't be around to eat.

So I'm not going. Its just for the best. Thankfully, once I told my 80 year old mother that I wasn't going, the pressure stopped.

Too much of my energy right now is being spent dealing with depression. It's like this meme I saw on FB this last week. "No, I'm not doing nothing, I'm busy fighting my depression."

Well, at least the new location I'm working in is about 500% better for me (at least by the last four working day's experiences) than the previous location. That at least took one of the shit cards off the table. (He said, shaking his head at the remaining shit cards on his table...)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
When I had an MRI done for my dog, I asked to have the information, which was useful because after getting the specialist's opinion I took it to a veterinary research college for a second opinion. I don't know whether there are standard protocols for MRI images but what I got was hundreds of files on a CD (I don't remember if they were individual JPEGs or something else) and special software for viewing them, which I believe reconstructed 3D views. So in my experience MRI results are not just a simple picture, like an X-ray.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:39 PM

I did get a copy of the CD right after the MRI and the radiologist's report as an attachment to the e-mail. All good things, but there's no "okay, now go see this neurologist" or "what the hell, let's try prednisone" or even "I think it's just stress. Get a coloring book and stop bothering me." I mean, I know my brain is my concern and this whole process is my job, but I feel like I have to put a lot of work into coaxing everything along. Vet medicine seems so much more straightforward.

No ER for me... I'm not going to lie and say suicide isn't on the table, but it has been for a long time- long before this- and will likely continue to be. I don't have immediate plans or intent. At least not at this point. My deal is, though, if I lose my ability to write or if this hits the three month mark without significant hope of answers or improvement, I get to bow out and nobody gets to say a thing about it. But I'm uninsured and I'm not sure they could offer me anything at the hospital if I walked in and said I was suicidal other than a few days of astronomically expensive babysitting and... I'm okay there. I can be trusted with shoelaces and metal utensils. So far, I'm still sticking around because it would be terribly rude not to. It would make a big mess and all. Just unpleasant all around. Doesn't stop me from wishing.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:50 PM

Oh, Dorothy I'm happy to see your post. Can you not get on Medicaid? You need a hospital stay and complete work-up. I'm leaning toward Lupus or MS (ianad), it just seems like those sorts of symptoms. Keep kicking, I think there are better days ahead.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Y'know, I'm beginning to wonder if it might not by Lyme disease. It can cause a LOT of neurological issues, and it is often mistaken for MS, amongst other things. If it's been long enough, it takes special tests to discover what it is. I know a couple of people who have had mysterious symptoms and it turned out to be Lyme.

It can take a specialist to track that down, and some special tests, too.

The CDC lists these as "Later Signs and Symptoms".
  • Severe headaches and neck stiffness
  • Additional EM rashes on other areas of the body
  • Arthritis with severe joint pain and swelling, particularly the knees and other large joints.
  • Facial palsy (loss of muscle tone or droop on one or both sides of the face)
  • Intermittent pain in tendons, muscles, joints, and bones
  • Heart palpitations or an irregular heart beat (Lyme carditis)
  • Episodes of dizziness or shortness of breath
  • Inflammation of the brain and spinal cord
  • Nerve pain
  • Shooting pains, numbness, or tingling in the hands or feet
  • Problems with short-term memory

Might be worth a check?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Oh yeah my mother who lives in an assisted living place had money stolen from her. It’s been an on going thing there. Monday think I raise a little hell. The place she lives in isn’t cheap, and it privately owned.

My elderly mother has had visiting nursing aides coming to her apartment to help her for the past ten years now. The agencies have a high turnover and some of the aides have been fired for theft. Apparently one of them was stealing cans of food from a client. And of course there are those who were fired for trying to steal medication. Luckily right now the two aides she has right now seem to be pretty dependable.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Oh, Dorothy I'm happy to see your post. Can you not get on Medicaid? You need a hospital stay and complete work-up. I'm leaning toward Lupus or MS (ianad), it just seems like those sorts of symptoms. Keep kicking, I think there are better days ahead.
This + 1000.

What kind of blood work have you had done? Hypothyroid can lead to poor cold tolerance and brain fog, though not some of the other symptoms you mention. IANAD either but MS was the first thing I thought of.

Where's the nearest "big guns" hospital to you (Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic and the like)? I'd suggest calling their neurology department and asking for help. If they need a referral (as we found when my daughter needed to be seen at Dartmouth) your primary care doc should be willing to write the referral.... and if s/he isn't, raise hell because SOMETHING needs to be done. Or I suppose you could go to the ER at such place.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Ooooh - I just read Morgyn's post - and the timing is interesting; I had my hair done Saturday (coloring / highlighting, so a lengthy process) and my stylist let fall that she had, after years, been diagnosed with latent Lyme disease.

As in, utter brain fog, memory issues, would be showering and forget whether she'd washed a part or not. It took years to get her diagnosed. She had some tests that were suggestive and others that were less so. I don't recall all the details but it was something like "you have to have 3+ lines on BOTH of these, and you have 3+ lines on only the one". I think she actually tested positive for the bacteria but not the antibodies, or whatever. She tried herbal remedies for a year and finally went on the antibiotic regimen, which was pretty challenging.

She actually went to a "functional medicine" specialist vs a regular internist finally, and he's the one who zeroed in on the Lyme.

ETA: I noticed that you're uninsured. As others suggested, look into Medicaid. Look into disability (hard as that is to get). And the big-guns clinics might have social workers that could help you out with the situation.

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 05-13-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I'll just say that Walmart is famous for pinching nickels until the buffalo screams, so they have undoubtedly lost enough product that it is worth the money to post a minimum wage drone to check.
But really, how closely do the staff check that receipt? If you've got a cartload of stuff, are they going to go through everything?

I've never had it happen at our local WalMart (nor the one near where my daughter lives)

Costco does it, though. Used to be, they would actually check carefully - and one time actually caught that something hadn't been scanned (or was scanned twice or something) - and we went back in and sorted it out. These days, though, they glance at the receipt, mark it with a pen, and wave me on. Kind of pointless, really.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Shiva has always been talkative, but in his old age it's gotten ... multiple times a day he'll start wowing for no reason at all, and he'll keep it up for 20 minutes or so, and his voice is loud and very, very piercing. Food doesn't stop it. Play doesn't stop it. Pets doesn't stop it. I don't know what he wants, I can't stop him from making noise and it goes onandonandon.

Doc says that except for the IBD and being old (15), he's pretty healthy. As far as I can tell, he's in no pain.

I love him, but there are some days when I wish I could gag him.
When my old cat did this, we yelled back "we're in the den!" or "I'm in the kitchen". and that seemed to help. Og alone knows why, because cats, but give it a try. Maybe Shiva just needs to hear from you.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:44 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
But really, how closely do the staff check that receipt? If you've got a cartload of stuff, are they going to go through everything?

I've never had it happen at our local WalMart (nor the one near where my daughter lives)

Costco does it, though. Used to be, they would actually check carefully - and one time actually caught that something hadn't been scanned (or was scanned twice or something) - and we went back in and sorted it out. These days, though, they glance at the receipt, mark it with a pen, and wave me on. Kind of pointless, really.

Isn't their stated rationale that it's to ensure the cashier scanned everything, not to accuse the customer?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Unless I actually hear an alarm go off I don't even stop to acknowledge them.

Quote:
If the Queen Mum asks about your reaction we're in the middle of a Romero movie (the Queen Mum isn't EII; she was EII's mother).
I have a great idea for a cold open if The Walking Dead ever does a spinoff set in the UK. The Queen has finally passed away and now King Charles III is at her bedside with medical staff, other family, and the Archbishop of Canterbury. He can't help himself of switching to mourning to reacting with glee that he's finally king. Queue his undead mother sitting up and biting him.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Why do people of a certain age insist on giving Millennials so much shit? Yesterday's focus was on beer. An acquaintance was telling me about a restaurant he visited, and there were just too many beers! What's the point? How do you even know what to drink? Why won't Millennials be satisfied with a Bud Light?

Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Mini rant #1: about a month ago my phone updated it's version of the Android OS, and I'm still trying to figure out the audio levels in the new version. In the old version, for example, the phone ringer was perfectly audible two notches up from "Mute". Now I have to have the ringer volume almost all the way up in order to hear my phone ring. Plus they changed the look and placement of the control. I don't like it!

Mini rant #2: my Fitbit is synched with my phone and is supposed to vibrate when I have an incoming call, which is helpful because I don't always hear my phone ringing. (See rant #1.) However, what is NOT helpful is that my Fitbit doesn't start buzzing until the phone is just about finished ringing, so by the time I feel my Fitbit buzzing, look at it to see I have an incoming call, fish my phone out of my pocket and attempt to answer, I've missed the call.

Mini rant #3: I had a home sleep study done a few weeks ago. The nurse from the doctor's office called yesterday to tell me it appears I have mild sleep apnea and they want me to try a CPAP machine for 30 days to see if it helps. When I told my wife, her response was not "I hope it helps you sleep better" or anything like that. It was "I hope it doesn't keep me awake!" Thanks honey for caring so much.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:45 PM

So, because MO-DOT is crap for preventive maintenance, or any maintenance at all on the roads, commutes around here are becoming hellish. Quite a lot of people live in bedroom communities in southern IL and commute into the greater St. Louis area in MO each day. There are four major highways leading out from St. Louis into the surrounding MO areas -- I70 and 40/64 are usually gridlocked; I44 has been down to half lanes in a long stretch for two years now, meaning most of its traffic is shunted to I55. That's bad enough.

There are three main bridges to cross from IL to MO -- the Poplar downtown (massive traffic), and two on either end of I270 that circles the St. Louis area (less traffic). MO-DOT has been inspecting the southern of those bridges, the Jefferson Barracks bridge. They found cracks in the metal structure this weekend, and shut down the westbound bridge for at least a week, creating a traffic nightmare. Everyone that used to use the JB bridge diverted onto little Route 3 through Cahokia/Sauget to try to get to the already gridlocked Poplar. Commute times yesterday were reported to be four to five times longer on average.

I live in MO and work in IL, so my commute is usually against the traffic mess... but our plant is off Route 3. In sight of the Poplar bridge. Ugh. It's not enough that everyone else is stuck in this mess of MO-DOT's incompetence, but they're all being assholes about it. Cutting people off, refusing to let people zipper-merge in, so everyone is driving inches away from the bumper in front of them leading to bangs on the gridlocked bridge with no place to pull off. I shifted my workday an hour earlier today, but even before 6am the traffic on Route 3 was already bumper-to-bumper as far as I could see. With newscrews set up to film the cars going nowhere. And this is only day #2. I may lose my mind before Friday.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:45 PM

To the butt head that called my house at 6:50am: I don't know what you are selling, buying, or collecting, but it takes a special kind of gall to inform me (by a recorded message) that the matter I am being called about is VERY important and then ask me to call THEM back leaving a random number. Seriously? If it's that goddamn important, put a human on the phone. I'm not wasting a second more of my day.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Why do people of a certain age insist on giving Millennials so much shit? Yesterday's focus was on beer. An acquaintance was telling me about a restaurant he visited, and there were just too many beers! What's the point? How do you even know what to drink? Why won't Millennials be satisfied with a Bud Light?

And then there are the stories about milennials not drinking beer at all...
https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...-crisis-2018-8