Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 PM

The 2019 Identify the ___ thread

Has some question about a book, movie, or TV show lodged itself into your brain like a splinter out of reach? Bring your mysteries to this thread!

Here are two to start with:

Can anyone identify what (relatively recent?) show had a male character who was about to become a father, and when be began experiencing abdominal pain while his wife was in labor, everyone told him it was sympathy pains...but it turned out that he had appendicitis?

Can anyone identify what book, movie, or TV show contains a character named Fretful? I'll be honest, I'm not sure if this character is human, supernatural, a regular animal or an anthropomorphized animal...

Any ideas? And anything that you need resolved yourself?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 PM

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Sir-Fretful-Plagiary

See also this thread about identifying science fiction stories by the way http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=482118

Last edited by Andy L; 05-02-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I think I remember seeing the first one, but not sure where. I don't watch a lot of medical shows, so possibly "New Amsterdam"?
Old 05-03-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Sir-Fretful-Plagiary

See also this thread about identifying science fiction stories by the way http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=482118
Definitely not this Fretful as I've heard of neither the writer or the play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I think I remember seeing the first one, but not sure where. I don't watch a lot of medical shows, so possibly "New Amsterdam"?
Possibly. I do watch New Amsterdam, but I think the character's problem was played for laughs in what I'm trying to recall.

Last edited by elfkin477; 05-03-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Possibly. I do watch New Amsterdam, but I think the character's problem was played for laughs in what I'm trying to recall.
Taking another shot at this one... perhaps Howard and Bernadette from "The Big Bang Theory"?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Can anyone identify what (relatively recent?) show had a male character who was about to become a father, and when be began experiencing abdominal pain while his wife was in labor, everyone told him it was sympathy pains...but it turned out that he had appendicitis?
Friends did something like this when the gang went to the hospital for someone's (maybe Ross's wife?) delivery and Joey had kidney stones at the same time.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:53 PM

Kid's book I read when I was twelve or so (1980-ish). A couple of kids had some sort of psychic connection, and it turned out that they were both born when a UFO was spotted over the town. There was some argument about a "Galaxy Skylos," which turned out to be "Galaxis Kylos."

I think there was some kind of magic box, and one of the kids might have even gotten shot (but not killed).

In the end, the kids met the aliens, who were kind and very much like us (the leader had a daughter who played some games similar to what the psychic kids played).

Hoping to read it again and maybe pass it down to my nieces and nephews when they get a little older.