Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM

BTS-have you heard of them? The ads have officially turned sentient

https://youtu.be/MBdVXkSdhwU

I officially renounce everything I said in my Tupac thread. With that said, I bid you farewell Straight Dope. I'm packing up and moving to the moon. This world is no longer something I can call home, I don't know the first thing about things that always made sense to me.

Watching that damn video, I had no fucking clue whether i was watching a boy band, a girl band or a clay band. I couldnt shake myself of the terrifying certainty that underneath those garish outfits, everything was smooth. Everything.

Or, the BTS band is like the characters in the episode of South Park in which ads had finally become sentient. Maybe theze things arent human?? Maybe they are all actually just ads that ultimately, at a time programmed in their software when they've got us wrapped around their fingers, will drop the charade and start pushing Hyundai's in earnest.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-03-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

BTS is by far the most popular band in the world right now. I donít understand it myself. In my opinion some of their songs are pretty good, but many are mediocre. But their fandom is far, far bigger than any other musician right now. Say anything bad about them on Twitter, say, and youíll have the wrath of thousands come down on your head in milliseconds.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:24 AM

Apparently a boy band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTS_(band)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
https://youtu.be/MBdVXkSdhwU

I officially renounce everything I said in my Tupac thread. With that said, I bid you farewell Straight Dope. I'm packing up and moving to the moon. This world is no longer something I can call home, I don't know the first thing about things that always made sense to me.
Hahaha

The singers in that video definitely have some sort of sexual orientation. I guarantee it!
Old 05-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Put it this way: a little while ago BTS announced a stadium tour with five stops: The Rose Bowl in L.A., Soldier Field in Chicago, MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, Wembley Stadium in London, and Stade de France in Paris.

All five stops sold out in less than an hour.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Personally I love kpop, but Iím more drawn to the girl groups, as my signature indicates.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
BTS is by far the most popular band in the world right now. I donít understand it myself. In my opinion some of their songs are pretty good, but many are mediocre.
That's true of pretty much any band, though. Heck, some of the Beatles work was mediocre, and they filled basically the same niche. K-Pop is just generally popular these days, as parts of the world that have only recently had the ability to reach large audiences start developing their own musical traditions and phenomena. This isn't my cup of tea, but even I can recognize that it's light-years better than, say, "Gangnam Style" or that weird Chinese Apple Tree song.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
More like a bot band, haw haw haw.

Although, IMO, to be called a 'band', at least one member should play some sort of musical instrument.

Anyway, I already knew about them from their recent appearance on SNL, so for once I may be slightly ahead of the curve, pop-culture-wise.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 05-03-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:47 AM

The music at the link in the OP sounds sorta like the logical extension of Northern Soul/Disco/Rap/Kiddy Pop. So... not unexpected. But, very homogenized.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
This world is no longer something I can call home, I don't know the first thing about things that always made sense to me.
That's how I felt when I heard MMA was adding a maternity division.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
BTS is by far the most popular band in the world right now.
I have never heard of them. The rock that I live under is apparently even more impenetrable than I thought.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:55 AM

The lil'wrekker assures me they are very cool.
I defer to her on all pop culture.
I do remember them during the Olympics.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Hahaha

The singers in that video definitely have some sort of sexual orientation. I guarantee it!
Sure. *Some sort* We might not even recognize it as a sexual orientation tho. Scary thoughts.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I have never heard of them. The rock that I live under is apparently even more impenetrable than I thought.
I'd venture that a full 50% of the visitors members of the SDMB have also never hard of them. We're not in their target demographics.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Sure. *Some sort* We might not even recognize it as a sexual orientation tho. Scary thoughts.
Aw man, you went and blew it!

Why is it "Scary thoughts"?
Old 05-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Ahh, yes, that special moment in every young person's life when they suddenly realize that a new generation has come up behind them and pop culture is no longer aimed at them.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

My 13 year old looooves BTS. As stated they're huge right now. They've been on Ellen a few times, they played (or attended?) the Grammys, other artists have worked with them or expressed interest in working with them. They're the current Backstreet Boys/N'sync.

I had to explain to my, again 13 year old, daughter that no, she can't go see them in Chicago, 90 miles away, at Soldier Field. On top of all that, I know she loves them, but she's going to be disappointed with $200 nosebleed seats for her first concert. Too big of a venue, too far away, too expensive.

Anyway, unless you're really, really on top of pop culture it's entirely possible not to notice them. I certainly wouldn't have heard of them if it wasn't for my kid. However, ask just about any middle school or high school aged kid and they'll know who they were. At least as much as you knew of New Kids on the Block when you were that age.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Do the letters BTS stand for anything in particular?

ETA: (in answer to the question posed in the thread title: no.)

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-03-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:17 PM

What I don't understand is why they are boycotting Israel.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Obligatory Simpsons quote: "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you, too."

I listen to KPop and I've known BTS for a few years now. They're alright and have a few catchy songs, though as far a boy bands go I prefer VIXX and Monsta X, and my all-time favorite was Big Bang.

Quote:
Personally I love kpop, but Iím more drawn to the girl groups, as my signature indicates.
I'm more into acts like Taeyeon or BOL4, myself.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Hey, we must be rockmates! That's gneiss!
Old 05-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
Obligatory Simpsons quote: "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you, too."

I listen to KPop and I've known BTS for a few years now. They're alright and have a few catchy songs, though as far a boy bands go I prefer VIXX and Monsta X, and my all-time favorite was Big Bang.

I'm more into acts like Taeyeon or BOL4, myself.
Taeyeon is great and of course she was, and still is, a part of Girlsí Generation.

Iíve just started to hear some of BOL4. I like their most recent comeback.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:56 PM

BTW, if you want to get a little ahead of the curve (or less behind, as the case may be), look up Blackpink. They're a KPop girl group that's following BTS and also trying to break into the western market.

Last edited by Jet Jaguar; 05-03-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW, if you want to get a little ahead of the curve (or less behind, as the case may be), look up Blackpink. They're a KPop girl group that's following BTS and also trying to break into the western market.
Theyíre on a North American tour right now where they just played four sold out arena shows, with two left: Atlanta, and Ft. Worth. Not at the level of BTS, but very popular.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Theyíre on a North American tour right now where they just played four sold out arena shows, with two left: Atlanta, and Ft. Worth. Not at the level of BTS, but very popular.
I like Blackpink, but their latest song is... not bad, but just kind of average. Not up to the same level as "Whistle" or "Playing With Fire".

Another comeback I really like right now is Park Bom, and her comeback song features Sandara Park! It's half of 2NE1, another of my all-time favorites!
Old 05-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Friend of Cecil

Don’t need. Don’t want.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I like Blackpink, but their latest song is... not bad, but just kind of average. Not up to the same level as "Whistle" or "Playing With Fire".

Another comeback I really like right now is Park Bom, and her comeback song features Sandara Park! It's half of 2NE1, another of my all-time favorites!
Oh yeah, 2NE1, another great one. I was almost going to see Minzy in concert this past November, but it got canceled.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No melody, no beat, no hook, no thing.

Utterly unmemorable
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings Ž/Žm/Žs, ť/ťm/ťs, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, ň/ňm/ňs, …/…m/…s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:39 PM

It was like the Lakers Girls cut their hair off and made a video.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:09 PM

I mean, I get it: it's just the boyband thing with the pretty boys, except crossing the language barrier. We already crossed to international with some other bands, but now it doesn't even have to be English.

Unlike some of the 1990s songs, however, I have to admit that I don't really like any of it.

Other Kpop has some appeal, like baby metal, or, of course, Gangnam Style. But none of the boybands appeal to me. It's like trying to watch anime without the subtitles. (And, yes, I know anime is Japanese. It's a simile.)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:56 PM

Never heard of them.

Even having read this thread I still haven't heard of them. The rock I'm under is goddamn impenetrable.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:03 PM

Forgot to mention that it's typical Korean "ultra flashy" style, which feels very trippy, and honestly I'd be worried about seizure warnings. I can see how that can feel unsettling (or even seizure inducing in photosensitive people). But this is the generation that liked Fred the annoying orange, so that sort of thing is big now.

But they're guys "singing" with male voices (even though the lip synch is really, really bad). And they look like typical pretty boys. They just don't have the one older looking manlier dude with the facial hair, like the old US boy bands.

I'm more into a more laid back, natural sounding style, or at least a more treble sound with tons of rich, close harmonies. I'm not into dubstep, either, which the song clearly borrows from.

But I'd think the psychedelic looks might be great for those of you who grew up in the 1970s. Especially with a little augmentation.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
You realise - that very quote now marks you as an old 'un. My daughter recently had to research 'The Simpsons' for a school project
Old 05-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Aw man, you went and blew it!

Why is it "Scary thoughts"?
??? I give up on you dude. Smh

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-03-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Its...THE SAME GROUP!!!! 😮
Old 05-03-2019, 06:04 PM

I'm with them other fellers, bts is what sorta soda pop? K-Pop? Is that anything like Shasta or RC Cola or is it more like Tab?

Sorry, couldn't resist, it was just hanging there BEGGING to be plucked.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Its...THE SAME GROUP!!!! 😮
Try Twice, the other hugely popular girl group right now, with a very different style from that of Blackpink. Twice just announced their first ever US tour, with three stops.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:08 PM

It's Spice Girls for the twenty-teens
Old 05-03-2019, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

This is a great example of the fragmentation of the Internet. On this message board, kpop is barely known, and to the extent it is known it is disdained. By contrast reddit/r/kpop has over 350,000 members, and there are much much bigger kpop sites out there. Many sites with millions of members.

Last edited by suranyi; 05-03-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
With that said, I bid you farewell Straight Dope.
I, for one, certainly hope this part was metaphorical.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalid View Post
??? I give up on you dude. Smh
lol
Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Never heard of them.

Even having read this thread I still haven't heard of them. The rock I'm under is goddamn impenetrable.
Well, for you to hear of them, you'd have to learn something new. Something you said you never do
Old 05-03-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Well, for you to hear of them, you'd have to learn something new. Something you said you never do
Im beginning to think those smilies are not actually denoting warmth and friendliness. 😊
Old 05-03-2019, 08:03 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

I had never heard of them until I saw them on Saturday Night Live. After my initial "what the hell was that" reaction, I looked them up.

As for their androgynous look, let's pause and remember Justin Bieber's first album.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Do the letters BTS stand for anything in particular?

ETA: (in answer to the question posed in the thread title: no.)
It means B.uy T.his S.tuff!!! Its the ever present subliminal feedback loop that is the undercurrent to all their music. Im telling you guys, all the pop up blockers, Tivos and HBOs have come back to bite us. The ads just adapted, grew stronger.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

To quote the oft-quoted: "I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was, and now what Iím with isnít it. And whatís 'it' seems weird and scary to me."

This is happening more and more each day that passes. Particularly with technology, something I used to pride myself for being quite clued up on. But music goes without saying. It all looks strange and unpleasant and cookie-cutter bland. When I think back on my youth, music was innovative and making strides in new directions and it was amazing. Now it just seems like a dull tuneless hum.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

I hadn't heard of them. I blame satellite radio. I never listen to broadcast music except through SiriusXM, and my wife and I share hours. She selects the station during the odd hours and I select the station during the even hours. My presets are Symphony Hall, Alt Nation, and Met Opera Radio. She listens to Classic Vinyl, NPR Now, and Deep Tracks.

BTS doesn't show up on any of those stations, and I just don't feel the need to shop around the dial. In the old days when traveling you'd lose your home presets after less than an hour so you'd have to look around for an acceptable alternative. That way you were almost forced to listen to different genres. Now, I can drive clear across the continent and never have to touch the dial. It's easier, but maybe not better. It might do me some good to force myself to listen to other stuff.

I may have heard their music as background in movies or TV but not been aware of the source; I wouldn't recognize them by sight or sound.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Im beginning to think those smilies are not actually denoting warmth and friendliness. 😊
It's the only way I can show a friendly, somewhat serious question on this board
Old 05-03-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
I hadn't heard of them. I blame satellite radio. I never listen to broadcast music except through SiriusXM, and my wife and I share hours. She selects the station during the odd hours and I select the station during the even hours. My presets are Symphony Hall, Alt Nation, and Met Opera Radio. She listens to Classic Vinyl, NPR Now, and Deep Tracks.

BTS doesn't show up on any of those stations, and I just don't feel the need to shop around the dial. In the old days when traveling you'd lose your home presets after less than an hour so you'd have to look around for an acceptable alternative. That way you were almost forced to listen to different genres. Now, I can drive clear across the continent and never have to touch the dial. It's easier, but maybe not better. It might do me some good to force myself to listen to other stuff.

I may have heard their music as background in movies or TV but not been aware of the source; I wouldn't recognize them by sight or sound.
Highly doubtful you would like them, but one never knows. As I said, I donít particularly like them, and I love kpop.

But facts are facts: They are astoundingly popular.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
It's the only way I can show a friendly, somewhat serious question on this board
It's starting to come scross, to me at least, as a tad passive-aggressive. But I'm usually wrong in my convictions, so take that as a good sign and keep on keeping on.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-03-2019 at 09:32 PM.