Old 05-03-2019, 11:28 AM

"Beyond meat" (vegan) burgers really do taste and feel like meat.

It doesn't taste like a beef burger, more like a similar styled pork product.

It prices about 4 times more than beef (I live in Ottawa) but doesn't shrink as much when grilled. All-n-all, if you are looking to cut down on your meat intake you have a serious alternative (to satisfy any intermittent cravings you might have).

Last edited by orcenio; 05-03-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:23 PM

I agree, those burgers are really good. I wish they were cheaper, though.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I tried one, taste was okay, but I got seriously ill after it. I've read that some people just react poorly to whatever protein is used in them, and I am definitely one of those people.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:30 PM

I love my veggie burgers and veggie dogs and, contrary to common stereotypical thinking, they are very filling. In fact, I find a veggie dog more filling than a whatever-meat-it's-made-out-of dog, although I really enjoy a regular dog or a high quality beef burger as much as anybody.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Spouse and self like these quite a bit. I pan fry them, and they get a nice, crispy crust with a decently ground-beef-like texture. The flavor is good, but they're best with cheese and toppings/condiments. They have an odd smell right out of the package (I think the protein gives off a little bit of ammonia), but that goes away as soon as cooking starts.

The local Whole Foods has a food stall that sells the burgers, plus their bratwursts and sweet or spicy Italian sausages (all vegan). The sausages are surprisingly good.

I have heard that the Impossible Foods burgers are even better, but they're not available for preparation at home yet.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I haven't gotten a "beyond meat" burger yet but I did try an Impossible Burger at a restaurant and it was good.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:18 PM

Agree on Impossible Burgers. I like meat, but would like to eat less, and Impossible Burgers make that easier--great taste, great texture. I don't think I've tried a Beyond Meat but would happily do so.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
It doesn't taste like a beef burger, more like a similar styled pork product.

It prices about 4 times more than beef (I live in Ottawa) but doesn't shrink as much when grilled. All-n-all, if you are looking to cut down on your meat intake you have a serious alternative (to satisfy any intermittent cravings you might have).
How's the sodium? So far my preferred fake meat products are not even worth it due to the sodium content. Regular burgers might increase my cholesterol, and the substitutes do increase my blood pressure.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

If you have a moral issue with meat then I understand these, but everything I've read indicates they are no better for your health and may in fact be worse.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:31 PM

A friend of mine tried one and had an allergic reaction. She has no idea what ingredient she reacted to.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
How's the sodium? So far my preferred fake meat products are not even worth it due to the sodium content. Regular burgers might increase my cholesterol, and the substitutes do increase my blood pressure.
There's substantially more sodium in this product (380mg/113g) versus regular lean ground beef (~73mg/100g). I suppose its because its pre-seasoned with salt (unlike ground beef) to the taste of the producers.

Last edited by orcenio; 05-03-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:53 PM

Hey thanks.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I haven't gotten a "beyond meat" burger yet but I did try an Impossible Burger at a restaurant and it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSBG View Post
Agree on Impossible Burgers. I like meat, but would like to eat less, and Impossible Burgers make that easier--great taste, great texture. I don't think I've tried a Beyond Meat but would happily do so.
See, I just don't understand all this. I finally caved in to the hype a couple weeks ago and tried an Impossible burger. It basically tasted no different than a damn dressed up Boca burger, albeit s bit more soft and tender. I was massively underwhelmed. I'd eat one again if it was served at a party or function but i wouldn't pay for one.

I will try Beyond Meat. But unless it is a significant difference from Impossible Boca, well, then i will keep on not eating veggie burgers. Well shit, i don't really eat *any* kind of burger, meatless or not. So i guess i should just shut up and go away. ✌
Old 05-03-2019, 02:20 PM

I'm not as concerned about the health implications, but more about killing the planet with cows.

I'm not sure the sodium comparison tells us that much. Does anyone/any restaurant NOT put salt in meat burgers?
Old 05-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I tried both Beyond and Imposible burgers. The new version of Impossible is pretty darn close to tasting like beef. I don’t think most people would have difficulty in a blind taste test figuring out which is which, but if you handed an Impossible burger that was prepared correctly (I’ve had them about a dozen times, and there is definitely a difference in how well they are prepared) without telling me, I very well probably would not notice. At White Castle’s, it’s more meat-like than the normal sliders! (But I still love the sliders, because when I want White Castle, that’s the flavor I want, and the Impossible burgers don’t really have that steamed oniony flavor the regular burgers have.)

The Beyond Burger wasn’t as impressive to me, but still miles better than the usual faux meat products like Boca burgers, which I dislike very much.

I’m not a vegan by any stretch, but I do like the options, and I am waiting fir Impossible’s product to hit retail (right now, it’s only available to restaurants, I believe, although I read something about them going to retail this year.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-03-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not as concerned about the health implications, but more about killing the planet with cows.
I did not know this was in the plan!

Quote:
...I'm not sure the sodium comparison tells us that much. Does anyone/any restaurant NOT put salt in meat burgers?
It tells me what I wanted to know. (The sodium content.) I'm not familiar with the product. Is this not something for use at home?
Old 05-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I did not know this was in the plan!

It tells me what I wanted to know. (The sodium content.) I'm not familiar with the product. Is this not something for use at home?
Beyond Burgers you can buy at the meat case of your grocery store. The Impossible Burgers (not the subject of the OP, but a related, competing product mentioned by others) is, AFAIK, not available for retail sale yet.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
It's not useful to prepare the sodium content of a prepared food (such as the plant burgers under discussion) to an unprepared food. When ground beef is cooked into hamburgers, sodium is added. Maybe some people just cook up plain ground beef without any flavoring but I wouldn't want it.

I suppose you could use potassium salt if sodium was a real issue and in that case you wouldn't want any prepared food with a lot of sodium.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I suppose you could use potassium salt if sodium was a real issue and in that case you wouldn't want any prepared food with a lot of sodium.
Some of us are not supposed to eat sodium or potassium. Both are bad for the kidneys.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Tried one, and followed the directions for cooking, and it was still quite red. But it said it wouldn't brown like normal meat, so I ate it. It wasn't bad, but left me with a weird feeling in my stomach.

I've since seen others cook them, and they clearly do get brown. So I think mine was undercooked.

My point is, don't just follow the really short cooking time instructions blindly, and wait for it to brown.

Carl's Junior also seems to have them here in the US, but Hardee's doesn't, for some reason. I'd hoped to try one prepared by a professional, but we only have the latter here.

Last edited by BigT; 05-03-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
if you handed an Impossible burger that was prepared correctly (I’ve had them about a dozen times, and there is definitely a difference in how well they are prepared)
This might explain my outlier experience then. Because i let my gf take a bite an she agreed with me. I tasted the sodium, the toppings and the sauces but not much else. The patty itself almost had a tofu-like quality of taking on the flavors and tastes of the foods with which it was prepared and cooked. It was tender. But tasteless. I definitely wouldn't describe it as "bad" just "not good". But ill gve them another shot.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

This is better suited to Cafe Society, so let's move it there (from IMHO).
Old 05-03-2019, 04:02 PM

When I was considering trying Boca burgers for the first time I asked my brother, who had tried them, what they tasted like. He said: "Mine taste like mustard."
Old 05-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
This might explain my outlier experience then. Because i let my gf take a bite an she agreed with me. I tasted the sodium, the toppings and the sauces but not much else. The patty itself almost had a tofu-like quality of taking on the flavors and tastes of the foods with which it was prepared and cooked. It was tender. But tasteless. I definitely wouldn't describe it as "bad" just "not good". But ill gve them another shot.
Yeah, it seems to me that they've got to get the outside nice and well-heated/crisp. The ones I've had that didn't seem to have as much of a very hot direct heat application seemed more "vegetal" to me; but when it had that nice crisp char, it was fine. I also prefer them done as thinner patties vs a thicker patty. And there is a difference between their latest version (which came out in I think around February) vs the one before (although the best prepared version I had was the 1.0 version at Umami burger. Theirs is a classic West Coast American double cheeseburger with tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, ketchup, and mustard. I need to try it again over there with the newer version and see what it's like.)

I mean, I found my first experience (at Umami Burger) pretty surprising. While it did not meet the "tastes exactly like beef" hype that I was getting from Youtube videos from sources I mostly trust, it was shockingly close to a meat experience, in my opinion. For me, it had passed the hump of the "uncanny valley" territory of meat substitutes. I used to be of the opinion of either eat meat, or eat veggies, and forget all this weird stuff pretending to be meat. My attitude has changed. Now I think, you know, for those who want to -- for whatever reasons, moral, environmental, etc -- reduce meat in their diet but want a meat-like experience, they are coming up with some pretty darned good and tasty meat substitutes. For example, I like a lot of Morningstar's products -- yeah, they're salty as shit, but their various bean patties are quite good, and not pretending to be meat. Meanwhile, I've hated every Boca burger I've ever tasted. These products -- Impossible Burger and Beyond Burger -- actually did make me rethink my attitude towards fake-meat burgers.

And I was a bit amused when in February I took my 5-year-old with me to White Castle's and ordered a sack of sliders and a couple of Impossible Burgers for myself. My intention was to have the Impossible Burger, but she laid claim to it and wouldn't let me trade it for a regular White Castle burger. This is a kid who subsists on pretty much meat and pasta and hates anything and everything vegetable-y besides French fries (she used to eat anything and everything, I swear!) So they were able to fool my finicky picky kid, so they've got that going for them.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-03-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
See, I just don't understand all this. I finally caved in to the hype a couple weeks ago and tried an Impossible burger. It basically tasted no different than a damn dressed up Boca burger, albeit s bit more soft and tender. I was massively underwhelmed. I'd eat one again if it was served at a party or function but i wouldn't pay for one.

I will try Beyond Meat. But unless it is a significant difference from Impossible Boca, well, then i will keep on not eating veggie burgers. Well shit, i don't really eat *any* kind of burger, meatless or not. So i guess i should just shut up and go away. ✌
Tasting just like a regular burger is sorta the entire point...
Old 05-03-2019, 04:36 PM

I don't think I've had Beyond Burgers, but I have tried a few Impossible Burgers (2.0) and they were fantastic! Really tasted like meat, which was amazing to me. I'll definitely try an Impossible Whopper when the BK in my neck of the woods gets it.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Boca burger is a veggie burger, not a regular burger.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:47 PM

I've had Beyond and Impossible.

Beyond Burger at Fuddruckers was an unappetizing red color. Not awful, but not as good as real cow. I'd like to try it at home and see if the kids can tell the difference.

Impossible was great. It looked, felt, and tasted like a good burger. The only clue that it was something else was a thin crispy film, sort of like the browned film on a fried egg.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I’m not a vegan by any stretch, but I do like the options, and I am waiting fir Impossible’s product to hit retail (right now, it’s only available to restaurants, I believe, although I read something about them going to retail this year.)
I'm a long time veggie and well... The beyond burger "ate like" I was being lied to.

I could have sworn that I bought a meat product. Damn. I rarely buy meat-substitutes but I am going to a friend's bar-b-que and wanted to get an alternative option for myself. I'm convinced. These "meat like" novelties have advanced to the point of fooling me.

ETA: For what it's worth, I cooked it well done (low and slow) with oil and covered in black pepper (on an iron skillet) with a char on the end.

Last edited by orcenio; 05-03-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Um...
Old 05-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I recall, the ecological impact of meat production was the motivation for the guy who started Impossible burger.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I would like to try one (or a similar product.) I've not seen them offered anywhere yet though. I know some local restaurants have one of them.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I tried one, taste was okay, but I got seriously ill after it. I've read that some people just react poorly to whatever protein is used in them, and I am definitely one of those people.
Pea protein, IIRC. I've never tried them myself, but I have a vegan friend who swears by them.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
There are many ingredients in it. Singling out the pea protein instead of the maltodextrin, methylcellulose, or bamboo cellulose in it is simply uninformed speculation.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
There are many ingredients in it. Singling out the pea protein instead of the maltodextrin, methylcellulose, or bamboo cellulose in it is simply uninformed speculation.
*like*
Old 05-03-2019, 09:24 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

I heard an NPR program discussing it. The food critic said the Impossible Whopper tasted like "a memory of beef."

A wonderful line, but not even the best one of the hour.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:57 PM

well theyve arrived here in so cal i have del taco ads for "beyond tacos" and carls jr ads for a"beyond famous star" and since there 2 of the biggest so cal chains id definatly say their record ipo put them on the map.....

all they neecpd is jack in the box and theyed be golden
Old 05-03-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
well theyve arrived here in so cal i have del taco ads for "beyond tacos" and carls jr ads for a"beyond famous star" and since there 2 of the biggest so cal chains id definatly say their record ipo put them on the map.....

all they neecpd is jack in the box and theyed be golden
Ok, see, you obviously are in possession of the resources amd faculties necessary to compose coherent prose, after all, look at all of this. But you didnt even TRY to edit this. You took no care or attention to what you were presenting at all. Then you hide behind ypur disability. Man, your disability aint got shit to do with you being lazy.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-03-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

I've had both and both are pretty good. Not sure if Impossible and Beyond would be mistaken for real meat burgers in a blind taste test, but I think most people would say they are a good burger (if prepared correctly).

These are very different from boca or bean burgers.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:25 AM

Here's the deal for me... as a 30+ year vegetarian... I don't really WANT my burgers to taste "just like real beef." I've been happy since my first Boca Burger to have a substitute patty that I can DRESS "like a real burger." But I really didn't like meat when I still ate meat. I especially don't want any of the new veggie burgers that "bleed" "like real meat." YUK! Kinda defeats the point.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Ambivalid, remember that this isn't the Pit. A certain amount of criticizing of spelling and grammar is allowable, but keep it more polite and less personal. Or take it to the Pit, and make it as impolite and personal as you like.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:04 AM

I like beef. I've never tried the "fake beef" because why. If they were significantly cheaper than beef or tasted "better" than beef, sure, I'd try one.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I like beef. I've never tried the "fake beef" because why. If they were significantly cheaper than beef or tasted "better" than beef, sure, I'd try one.
Surely you'd need to try one out yourself to accurately judge that, no?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I tried them initially due to cholesterol concerns. The sodium tradeoff was what stopped the experiment. (In all honesty, I still sometimes use Morningstar breakfast sausage patties simply because they're pretty good. In their own way. If you don't overcook them and dry them out.)
Old 05-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmark7 View Post
Here's the deal for me... as a 30+ year vegetarian... I don't really WANT my burgers to taste "just like real beef."
I would assume a good deal of vegans and long time vegetarians would feel the same way. The Impossible Burger even exudes red juices like real meat does, so anybody who has an ethical revulsion to eating meat I think would still be squicked out by it.

I feel like this is more marketed towards meat eaters who want to reduce meat consumption for whatever reasons (environmental ones would be a big one) not as much people who are established vegans (although it's there for those who are fine with it.) In fact, the White Castle Impossible Burger, if you order it as-is, isn't even vegan (served with cheese as default--and I don't know if the bun contains milk or anything non-vegan.) Plus in the initial advertising run, there was a poster which suggested to customers to add an Impossible Burger to their normal beef slider orders.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For me it, it was mostly curiosity, with a mix of a nagging thought that I really should knock down how much beef I eat not so much for health concerns but more for environmental ones. But, really, mostly the curiosity. When they first came out in this area, I just couldn't wait to try one just to see how close food science has come to making something that acts and tastes like ground beef and, I found out, quite a bit.

That said, I continue to order them from time to time because I actually do like them, and at White Castle they are pretty cheap at $2 for something a bit more filling than a regular slider (at 240 calories--the older ones were heftier, IIRC, at around 300 per slider, but I guess they trimmed them down a bit after the introductory period before they went national.) So there I like to get two jalapeño cheese sliders to satisfy my slider craving and one Impossible slider for a bit of variety and a more "standard" tasting burger experience. The only issue with the Impossible sliders is that they cook them all to order, so it takes 5 minutes to get your order.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if anyone has performed a lifecycle analysis on energy and emissions for these burgers vs beef. My guess is they come out ahead. But I'd like to know how much.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
I wonder if anyone has performed a lifecycle analysis on energy and emissions for these burgers vs beef. My guess is they come out ahead. But I'd like to know how much.
Google before posting.

https://impossiblefoods.com/if-pr/lca-update-2019

Granted that's their own analysis, so it warrants scrutiny. Well, any study does.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Maltodextrin is in practically everything. And those other two are just common fiber fillers.

It makes more sense that the things that are unique about the burger would be more likel to be what causes any problems. And "pea protein isolate" is probably the most unusual one.

That's not to say it can't be the other ingredients, or a combination of ingredients. But I know I'd first suspect the pea protein isolate.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:08 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I tried an impossible burger at white castle and was not impressed.

Then I tried vegetarian chicken nuggets from the grocery store and they were terrible.

Sucks, I'd love a good plant based meat or lab grown meat alternative.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 05-04-2019 at 05:09 PM.