Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
And this is why it was unrealistic and stupid. They would have seen the ships LONG before they were in range of the ballistas.
If the lookout is an idiot, then what can you do?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:46 AM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Not put her on the throne?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Jon and Dany are the two stupidest generals alive. At least the writers have one side using decent strategy such as having ships with ballista and shielding the Red Keep with civilians. But the writers missed a golden opportunity. As Dany is walking away at the end she needed to keep repeating, "Burn them all."
Old 05-06-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
But the writers missed a golden opportunity. As Dany is walking away at the end she needed to keep repeating, "Burn them all."
Strong disagree. THe show isn't very good about this in general, but "show, don't tell" is a good rule.

I think they're going to show us next episode.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
I considered this possibility, and your guess might be correct, but if it is the case, he should have told Brienne. the only reason why he wouldn't would be to surprise the viewers later, and it's too artificial for my tastes.
If there had been a big emotional scene where Jaime told Brienne how much he loved her and that he had to prove to her that he was worth her love before he could come back to her, that would have been fantasy tropey. He doesn't plan to come back. He doesn't want her hopeful.

There was a whole lot of cutting-room floor footage needed to make this episode palatable. I would have happily sacrificed much of the drunken party for a little more logistics to set up the King's Landing showdown.

Teleporting army and fleet? Can't even show thirty seconds of marching/sailing past some of the landmarks along the way?
Surprise ballista bolts at five-thousand feet? It's clear that the dragons and Dani didn't know of the ballista and wouldn't fear the boats, but if they showed a simple establishing shot doing a swoop-by it would have made much more sense.
Varys suddenly chickening out on the whole scheme? Suddenly being turned from master schemer into timid hand-wringer was very out of character.
Tyrion continues to do nothing as a character this season except whinge about not being listened to. To see him moved from the most anticipated character moments of the show in past seasons to a waste of screen time is a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
The show is having us believe that a battery of medieval ballista, fired from rolling and pitching ships decks, can fire bolts capable of scoring multiple hits at a moving target several thousand feet in the air. All this while remaining undetected by two dragons, because the fleet happens to be out of the camera's field of view.
The fanwank is that she was complacent and not flying an evasive path. At least that would explain the first shot hitting.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:03 AM

I'm pretty sure Arya is on her way to KL to kill Cersei but I'll be disappointed if that's how it works out. I also may be the only person not happy about a possible Cleganbowl. The Mountain is bigger, stronger and deader than The Hound, so any outcome would suck. The Hound wins and it'll be because he's a good guy; if The Mountain wins, then that means The Hound dies at the hands of his hated brother.

On the road again
Killing people with my friend. . .
Old 05-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I'm a little miffed that Jaime cockblocked Tormound only to break Brienne's heart. What prompted him to go to KL? Hearing she had a victory? Doesn't make sense.
They kept his speech vague on purpose. "We're both hateful" makes it sound like he's going back to the woman he loves to die fighting for her. But in reality he's going back because he's hateful of her, and he wants to be the Queenslayer this time.

Or what Plankton said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
I don't think he's running back to her. He makes the decision to leave after finding out that Cersei has killed one of the dragons and captured Missandei; he's afraid she might win, and wants to prevent that.. He's finally come to grips with the fact that both he and her sister are 'bad people', and he's going to try to see that they both pay for their sins.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
They kept his speech vague on purpose. "We're both hateful" makes it sound like he's going back to the woman he loves to die fighting for her. But in reality he's going back because he's hateful of her, and he wants to be the Queenslayer this time.

Or what Plankton said.
Ah yes. That would make more sense. This thread moves faster than I can keep up sometimes!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
Varys suddenly chickening out on the whole scheme? Suddenly being turned from master schemer into timid hand-wringer was very out of character.
Interesting. I didn't see this as hand-wringing at all, but very much in line with him scheming. Him not laying a contingency and just blindly charging forward with a plan he doesn't think will work out would have been more out of character, IMO.

The only part of his scheming I didn't like was Jon being the alternative because he's so obviously unfit to be a king. Varys delegates that bad decision to Tyrion, but I think Varys should have known better anyway.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Interesting. I didn't see this as hand-wringing at all, but very much in line with him scheming. Him not laying a contingency and just blindly charging forward with a plan he doesn't think will work out would have been more out of character, IMO.

The only part of his scheming I didn't like was Jon being the alternative because he's so obviously unfit to be a king. Varys delegates that bad decision to Tyrion, but I think Varys should have known better anyway.
Jon has several problems, but none of them are unsurmountable, as long as he has good advisors.

Dany is perilously approaching Mad King levels of unsuitability.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 AM

they decided to get rid of 1 dragon before the final battle so the method they showed was probably about as good as anything.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Jon has several problems, but none of them are unsurmountable, as long as he has good advisors.

Dany is perilously approaching Mad King levels of unsuitability.
Jon ignores good advice all the time because he thinks honor demands it. He's completely intellectually unsound for the job and lacks the flexibility needed.

Just this episode he gets wonderful advice that would allow him to accomplish his goals and the goals of his self-professed queen. He undermines it at the first opportunity.

Jon would get played in the capital worse than Ned ever did.

*eta* But yeah, if you think the choice is Jon or Dany and you assume Dany will torture to death anyone she thinks opposes her, then go with Jon. I'm just saying those are both shitty options.

Last edited by Snarky_Kong; 05-06-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
The world has had hundreds of years to think about dragons and Dany is a rookie at actually commanding them. I'm sure her ancestors would have done exactly as some have advised, circle around and take their rear. But she's not a thinker. She's passionate and she behaved exactly as someone pissed off would, and she would have died along with her dragon on that frontal attack if she hadn't come to her senses.
Dragons were believed to be obsolete, so probably no one thought about dragon defense systems in centuries. The ballista design might have been found in the archives, or one of the mechanical engineering maesters was clever enough to design it from scratch.

And when Dany said "Dracarys" as she was standing in front of Cersei, I thought that the remaining dragon was going to swoop in from behind Cersei and burn her.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Dragons were believed to be obsolete, so probably no one thought about dragon defense systems in centuries. The ballista design might have been found in the archives, or one of the mechanical engineering maesters was clever enough to design it from scratch.

And when Dany said "Dracarys" as she was standing in front of Cersei, I thought that the remaining dragon was going to swoop in from behind Cersei and burn her.
I think Qyburn was shown testing one on the dragon skulls in the Red Keep and designed the one Bronn used on Drogon.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:36 AM

I was really, really disappointed in the way Ghost was treated. I understand that the CGI for the direwolves was very difficult to pull off but was there no way to just show a hand ruffling his fur? It was totally out of character for Jon to just leave him that way, especially since they showed that he had been hurt in the fight.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm getting the feeling this one isn't sticking the landing like Breaking Bad did...
Old 05-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
I was really, really disappointed in the way Ghost was treated. I understand that the CGI for the direwolves was very difficult to pull off but was there no way to just show a hand ruffling his fur? It was totally out of character for Jon to just leave him that way, especially since they showed that he had been hurt in the fight.
Yeah. It's like none of the writers ever had a dog. No way would you just give a nod to your faithful dog and then leave, possibly to never see him again.

My biggest disappointment overall for the TV series was their minimizing the dire wolves in the story.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Varys has always claimed to be motivated by a desire to make things better for ordinary people ("the Realm" as he refers to it). Now that he sees Dany is becoming less and less stable, and may be on the verge of killing thousands of people, he is naturally reconsidering his support for her.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post

I think Qyburn was shown testing one on the dragon skulls in the Red Keep and designed the one Bronn used on Drogon.
Thank you for that, but I don't think it made clear if the ballista design was new or he was building from an existing set of drawings. Either way he might want to test what he built.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:21 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Threatening to kill someone isn't generally going to be well received. And as soon as he leaves the room, he can be arrested and put in a dungeon, or simply murdered or executed. His attitude really doesn't make any sense to me.
Bronn is counting on them feeling bound by "A Lannister pays his debts." The Lannisters are pretty dishonorable but they do seem to feel bound by this one.

But yeah, he's probably overplayed his hand. Bronn's not going to come out ahead no matter who wins.

But it seemed a stupid way to get him into the plot, and then take him out again. There was limited tension in Cersei sending him to kill her brothers. Since they both had unfinished business with her, it was unlikely he would succeed. And given Bronn's nature, he wasn't going to outright help them.

Quote:
Gilly knows. She was the first one to find out.
Right. So actually nine people know, not eight. But Tyrion has no reason to know that Gilly knows. It's more likely that Jon told Sansa that Danaerys knows than that he told her that Gilly knows too.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM

I wish we could see a scene with Dany that says "I understand the need for vengence and we'll have it. We'll roast alive every man, woman and child in the Red Keep if needed. But then what?? You've destroyed the Keep, Drogon is perched on the rubble, Dothraki and Unsullied are slaughtering soldiers in the streets...what do you think is going to happen then?? You'll be coronated and the people will cheer?"

I could write a five page essay defending Dany but basically she's a good person and every good thing she's tried to do has blown up in her face. She just helped save the fucking world and fucking Sansa is AMAZED that Arya respects her?? Fuck you Sansa. You swore and pulled a Littlefinger move immediatly.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Right. So actually nine people know, not eight. But Tyrion has no reason to know that Gilly knows. It's more likely that Jon told Sansa that Danaerys knows than that he told her that Gilly knows too.
We don't know if Sam explained to Gilly what it meant that Rhaegar had married Lyanna. He didn't know until Bran talked about Jon/Aegon being born.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:33 AM

The only reason I didn't like the Bronn scene was because I was worried he was actually going to try to kill them.
SPOILER:
The actor that plays Bronn said something to the effect that we weren't going to like him this season. I suppose given the reaction here to his assholeness that that's all it could be, but honestly I didn't find him too much out of character at all. He's done more for them than they've ever done for him imo, and he is first and foremost a cutthroat that's only in it for the money.

Moderating

Edited to spoiler information from an interview. Please spoiler information from non-show sources like interviews.

Colibri

Last edited by Colibri; 05-06-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
A fair point.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:46 AM

What have they done to Tyrion character?
He has been reduced to a drunken idiot after building him up as mastermind all these seasons so whats the point of keeping him around?
Might as well have him killed in the crypt on episode 3.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:48 AM

Ashtura, could you spoiler box stuff like that in the future?
Old 05-06-2019, 11:55 AM
SDSAB

A disappointing episode, I thought, with too many characters doing too many stupid things just to move the plot along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Jesus Christ, circle BEHIND the ships and light them up!
Exactly. Don't know why she wouldn't, or didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
...The scheming by Tyrion and Varys reminded me of past seasons....
I actually wondered if Tyrion was trying to get Varys, whose loyalty to Dany is shaky at best, to say something particularly incriminating. Then he'd call out loudly, "Grey Worm, arrest this man!" and GW would step out of hiding and nick Varys for treason.

Quote:
Sure you can. Ned Stark kept that secret for 17 years.

Someone needs to sit Jon down and remind him of how he always fucks it up when he does something because "he has to."
Absolutely.

Dany begged Jon not to tell anyone his true origin - she might have ordered him. She's his Queen, after all, as he keeps telling her. He ignored her.

Brienne begged Jaime not to leave - he did anyway.

Tyrion begged Cersei to surrender - she ignored him.

Begging, er, tends not to work in GOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
I was really hoping Sam (I think he would be most appropriate), should have said "Now his watch has ended" for Edd (and any other Night's Watch folk)....
Ooo, nice.

Quote:
...It's even more obscure why Varys would be plotting a Targaryen restoration.
His primary loyalty is to the realm, and the Targaryens were, until the Mad King's last few years, pretty good for Westeros, all in all.

Quote:
Once Grey Worm and Missandei started planning to buy a beach condo in Narth in episode two, I knew one of them (but not both) was a goner....
Yeah, might as well just paint crosshairs on themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
The ballistas did more damage to those ships than actual cannons would have. Holy moly those are some magic arrows.
If Maester Mengele played a role in their manufacture, they just might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
...BTW where is the Theon Sister? Why wasnt she and her army going with them to the island??
They said in the council of war that Yara Greyjoy had just reconquered the Iron Islands. Maybe she's consolidating her rule and building up a new fleet. I'm sure we'll see her again (naturally) just in the nick of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
...Even Tyrion didn't die and he should have looked like this.

https://giphy.com/gifs/americangods-...cIb6MUmPXS0QCY....
Heh. That's a lot of arrows. I wondered why Cersei didn't just order him pincushioned, then either fire on Dany's party with the ballistae and/or order a major sortie from the city gate. Dany had only a relatively small contingent of Unsullied with her, and her sole remaining dragon (whose name escapes me) would still be at risk of ballista fire from the city walls. Cersei could end the war right then and there.

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05-06-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:09 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Ashtura, could you spoiler box stuff like that in the future?
Edited to spoiler information from interview.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
I may have missed something, but shouldn't Euron be suspicious that Tyrion knows Cersei is pregnant?

I was under the impression that the child is Jamie's and Cersei has been pregnant long enough for Tyrion to figure out at their previous meeting. Euron could have only knocked her up a few weeks prior, right?

And, why the hell wouldn't the dragons fly at an altitude higher than the top of the ballista projectiles' parabolic arc?
I was wondering the same thing about Euron.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
His primary loyalty is to the realm, and the Targaryens were, until the Mad King's last few years, pretty good for Westeros, all in all.
In the show I don't think we know much about Targaryen rule before Aerys. Still considering how nuts he was it would be a good idea to find out something about his heirs before scheming for a restoration.

Robert was shit, and Joffrey appeared to be an even worse option. But if they were seeking for an upgrade among known quantities then Renly would have been the best option. (Admittedly the "too gay to produce an heir" might have been a drawback.)

Quote:
her sole remaining dragon (whose name escapes me)
It's the easiest one of all. Drogon the dragon, named for Khal Drogo.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dany begged Jon not to tell anyone his true origin - she might have ordered him. She's his Queen, after all, as he keeps telling her. He ignored her.
Jon was standing there as Arya and Sansa said, "You're our brother." The problem is that he's so honest, he couldn't let them continue to believe that when he know it's not true and that they're actually cousins.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
I was wondering the same thing about Euron.
This will have to come into play later, giving Euron a reason to doubt/betray Cercei. It's not a coincidence that Tyrion played that card right after Euron was told it was his child.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
What have they done to Tyrion character?
He has been reduced to a drunken idiot after building him up as mastermind all these seasons so whats the point of keeping him around?
Might as well have him killed in the crypt on episode 3.
The whole Lord Gendry Baratheon scene would have worked perfectly if it had been Tyrion's idea. The only change would have been Danerys telling Tyrion that she knows good advice when her Hand provides it.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I'm getting the feeling this one isn't sticking the landing like Breaking Bad did...
My last, best hope is that they'll stick the landing like The Shield did.

Queen Daenerys of nothing and ashes, walking up to the throne over the corpses of Jon, Varys, Jaime, Arya, Grey Worm, Ser Davos and the Hound. In the audience, Gendry does not smile. Sansa does not blink. Tyrion does not laugh.

Last edited by Gukumatz; 05-06-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:05 PM

The good:
- Pod being quietly awesome in the background. In ep. 2 he was nonchalantly kicking ass on the practice field while Brienne and Jamie did their awkward flirting. In ep. 4, during the feast he quietly pulled 2 serving girls and casually wandered off to show them why he doesn't have to pay for it in King's Landing.
- It was sad watching Dany celebrate alone in a hall full of people.
- The first thing Gendry does after he is made a noble and lord of Storm's End is seek out Arya and ask her to marry him. He's spends the entire series thinking she was too good for him and as soon as he has the bonafides he cuts right to the quick. Sadly, we know it will probably never work out because now she's an unrepentant murder machine.
- Tormund crying over Brienne to The Hound of all people.
- Arya and The Hound ride again. Seriously, this is the buddy comedy we all need in our lives. One part moral philosophy and one part straight up murder.
- The Starks and Targaryen's ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO OWN PETS! You people just don't know how to treat your animals right. I've spoken withDireWolfJesus and he is not amused.
- Gray Worm, it's not your fault Missandei got caught. Sending her to the life boat was the right thing to do, it just didn't work out the way you expected. That being said, you have my permission to kill everyone in the Red Keep to get your revenge. Start with Greyjoy...Happy hunting!

The bad is just too much to list in detail. Dumb tactics and strategy, again. Sansa running her mouth, again. Tyrion failing to live up to past seasons, again. Jamie doing dumb shit for Cersei, again. Euron pulling a nautical miracle out of his ass, again.

The lack of intelligent, well thought out plots from the source material has really caused the last 2 seasons to depart from what has made this story so good for so long.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
The bad is just too much to list in detail. Dumb tactics and strategy, again. Sansa running her mouth, again.
By Sansa running her mouth do you mean effectively undermining the person that continually threatens to subjugate her people?

That wasn't blabbing, but a measured decision on her part.

Last edited by Snarky_Kong; 05-06-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:11 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
We don't know if Sam explained to Gilly what it meant that Rhaegar had married Lyanna. He didn't know until Bran talked about Jon/Aegon being born.
Ok. Given the explosiveness of the information, he might not have even told Gilly. So she's probably not "in the know."
Old 05-06-2019, 01:11 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I thought it was fucking hilarious how Jamie and Brienne were talking about the fire and level of heat in their room, it was totally the equivalent of an old married couple arguing about the thermostat.
No, it was a total porn-setup scene. "It's so hot in here. Are you hot? I'll say you are, baby. Here, lemme take this off...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
She does know a 'back entrance'. Way back in Season 1, she go lost in the catacombs after overhearing the conversation between Varys and Iliyrio, only to finally make her way out of what looked to be a sewer outside the city....
For that matter, Varys knows his way around the secret passages of KL. He might even still have some of his spy network to draw upon.

Quote:
I think that Jaime needed to get out of there before he changed his mind, and said those things to Brienne to make her hate him and therefore easier for him to go. I don't think he wants to save Cersei. He didn't make the decision to go until Bronn told him Cersei wanted him dead and then heard that Cersei was winning. He thought she would die in the war but then realized that might not happen. So he has to make sure it does. He can't be the good person Brienne believes he is until he settles that score....
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
...Bronn was promised a castle - he almost married the dimwitted girl and murdered her older sister - when Jamie pulled him out of that, with the promise of a bigger reward. Later, Jaime gave him a bag of gold - which was a great reward, but not the castle he was promised - and in any case the gold was lost during the battle of the loot train. So Bronn has been working for years and risking his life for the Lannisters and has very little to show about it. And now that he's been recruited once again by a Lannister to do evil - "this fuckin family", it's plausible that he just wants to be done with them and fucking finally cash out.
And this. The scene with Bronn and the two Lannister brothers was actually maybe my favorite of the entire episode.

Quote:
...I was a bit hit by the opening scene. I found the scene were the main characters are saying their good byes to their fallen companions uncomfortably realistic, both the corpses and the attitude of the mourners. Reminded me too much of actual funerals....
Yes. Trying to figure out what Dany whispered to Ser Friendzone's corpse might become as much of a parlor game as it did for the final scene of Lost in Translation.

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I thought it was very interesting that Gendry was announced to the world as a Baratheon and made a Lord. I think this really opens the door to a situation where there is a bloodbath at the end, and ultimately Gendry Baratheon takes the throne. Whether that will happen or not, I don't know. But the stage is certainly set, with a new Baratheon on the scene and out of the way while everyone else goes to war.
That seems like it would be extremely out of character for the show. If Arya hadn't shut him down, then maybe.

To the extent that Game of Thrones is about answering Varys's riddle about who holds power, Gendry is not reasonably in the running. Gendry now has the Baratheon name, but nothing else. He has no loyal underlings, no army. The Baratheons already fought a 3-sided war against themselves before any of the other wars got going. There can't possibly be any left. He has no guile. No ambition. No understanding of how the Game of Thrones is played. If he holds Storm's End, it will be entirely as the dependent vassal of Dany, which is just what she wants.

That scene was just about Dany being a shrewd ruler falling into the same patterns that tyrants have always ruled with. Cement your power by handing out spoils to those loyal to you. It's also nice that it reinforces her power to do so, and heralds a return to the pre-Robert's Rebellion state. The place for a Baratheon is in Storm's End. Here's the closest thing we have to a Baratheon, so that's where he goes.

And it also gave Gendry the chance to get shot down by Arya.

I actually really liked Bronn in this episode, after some consideration. He's moving up the ladder in terms of the riddle. He's realized that you don't become a noble by being a really good sellsword. You become a noble by convincing other people to do your work for you, under threat of violence. Much better to just threaten the powerful directly than to do their bidding.

I see Jaime's behavior as totally in character for his arc. I agree that he isn't going back to be by Cersei's side, and that his tearful departure was about feeling that he was a bad person unworthy of love and happiness.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Yeah. It's like none of the writers ever had a dog. No way would you just give a nod to your faithful dog and then leave, possibly to never see him again.

My biggest disappointment overall for the TV series was their minimizing the dire wolves in the story.
We may not have seen the last of Ghost. Just because Jon told him to go north with Tormund doesn't mean he did so.

And don't forget that Nymeria is still alive and well. Ghost, Nymeria, and the rest of her wolfpack would make a formidable ally in the final battle. Maybe the Hound will be saved by wolves?
Old 05-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Yes. Trying to figure out what Dany whispered to Ser Friendzone's corpse might become as much of a parlor game as it did for the final scene of Lost in Translation.
"I'll never have another friend as dear as you."
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
By Sansa running her mouth do you mean effectively undermining the person that continually threatens to subjugate her people?

That wasn't blabbing, but a measured decision on her part.
Once upon a time Sansa was told privileged information about her family and their plans and she ran off and told the first Lannister who would listen. This was a measured decision on her part and it resulted in Ned Stark getting his head chopped off.

Once again, Sansa is told privileged information about her family and once again she makes the measured decision to run off and tell the first Lannister who will listen. I don't know what the results will be but my money says somebodies gonna die because this information wasn't properly controlled.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
We may not have seen the last of Ghost. Just because Jon told him to go north with Tormund doesn't mean he did so.

And don't forget that Nymeria is still alive and well. Ghost, Nymeria, and the rest of her wolfpack would make a formidable ally in the final battle. Maybe the Hound will be saved by wolves?
God, I hope those stupid animals don't show up anymore. They are just background characters like most of the actual humans on the show. I'm not sure why everyone is so up in arms about them all the time. Personally, I hope Potpie shows up and saves the Hound. He has done as much as any of the wolves have done.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

A lot of the complaints seem to boil down to, "Why do these characters have such big flaws!" Jon is honest to a fault, like literally a fault. Dany is often good at staged, overwhelming ambushes that reverse power dynamics, but is impulsive and panicky and ragey in the heat of the moment. Jamie is brilliant but self-loathing and self-destructive. Sansa has lived in the shadow of some of the shittiest backbiters and schemers and liars in the kingdom, and falls into similar habits.

These flaws are character flaws, not show flaws. And when a character acts according to their flaws, that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Other flaws, like terrible battle tactics planned out by supposedly brilliant tacticians, are less forgiveable.

But I realized something and I would feel like an idiot for not thinking of it earlier, except apparently nobody else has thought of it either. The reason Dany didn't see the ships isn't that they motored into view so quickly and fired before she noticed: it's because her dragon was going so fast.

If Euron had intelligence about their arrival, he could have stationed his fleet on the far side of an island anticipating that she'd scout and fly over a cliff, and that he'd be able to fire on her within seconds of her coming into view. Maybe the shot-dragon came into view before hers did, explaining the suddenness of the shot.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
Once upon a time Sansa was told privileged information about her family and their plans and she ran off and told the first Lannister who would listen. This was a measured decision on her part and it resulted in Ned Stark getting his head chopped off.

Once again, Sansa is told privileged information about her family and once again she makes the measured decision to run off and tell the first Lannister who will listen. I don't know what the results will be but my money says somebodies gonna die because this information wasn't properly controlled.
Yeah, and if it's Dany, then that's good for Sansa.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and if it's Dany, then that's good for Sansa.
And if it's Jon?
Old 05-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Winterfell may be a cold and brutal place, but at least it has a Starbucks.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Winterfell may be a cold and brutal place, but at least it has a Starbucks.
You mean Starkbucks.