Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

SNL on 5/4/19 was one of the better ones in a while

Modern day SNL is much funnier than the 90s version IMO, even though I think the cast from the 90s was one of the most talented (Farley, Hartman, Spade, Myers, Carvey, Sandler, Rock, etc)

But anyway, the intro monologue was really good. The Romano tour skit was one of the funnier ones I've seen in a while, the family reunion skit was pretty good, and the Farley song as the end was very touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbwlC2B-BIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4WHIJTCFs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25IOsvWPQGQ
Old 05-05-2019, 10:56 PM

The commercial for Rectix was also pretty great.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 AM

[off-topic] I click the 3 links and see
Quote:
Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Video unavailable

Video unavailable
Why does SNL do this? Too stingy to send all those photons half-way around the world?

There is a straightforward workaround (Google "Convert to mp3") but it takes an extra 19 clicks per video. Will it be worth it?
Old 05-06-2019, 03:55 AM

They do it because the rights are held by different entities in different countries. Just use a VPN like everybody else.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
They do it because the rights are held by different entities in different countries. Just use a VPN like everybody else.
If I knew a good free VPN (with zero malware) I'd install it. I've not pursued this yet because my need seems quite minimal. (SNL is almost the only YouTube source that I've noticed doing this.)
Old 05-06-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
[off-topic] I click the 3 links and see

Why does SNL do this? Too stingy to send all those photons half-way around the world?

There is a straightforward workaround (Google "Convert to mp3") but it takes an extra 19 clicks per video. Will it be worth it?
I get that a lot too with SNL clips on YouTube here in Krakow, but for some reason, I was able to watch those with no trouble for some reason.

Too bad Adam Sandler is to comedy what Totino's pizza rolls and a quart of Thunderbird are to authentic gourmet Neapolitan cuisine.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:01 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

The Rectix commercial was brilliant. Kristin Wiig was the only thing that saved the family reunion sketch. Opera Man simply doesn't work with the current style of Weekend Update.

I then went to bed. I've heard there were a couple of good things in the last half-hour.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

The last thing was Adam Sandler performing an original (not totally original, as he'd already performed the song on a Netflix special) song that talked about Chris Farley.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:19 PM

I haven't gotten around to the Netflix special so that was the first time I saw the Farley song and I was wrecked. I think watching Sandler choking back the tears made it worse. He's not good enough of an actor to have faked that.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sorry, I can’t watch anything with Adam Sandler in it.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Opera Man simply doesn't work with the current style of Weekend Update.
What does this even mean? The whole sketch is literally a one-shot of Adam singing.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Sorry, I canít watch anything with Adam Sandler in it.
Yet you felt the need to post in a thread about Adam Sandler why?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:56 AM

I thought it was a good show, but I, unlike mostly everyone else in this thread, find Sandler funny. I still wear a red-hooded sweatshirt. Shama-lama-ding-dong.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
There were no Adam Sandler warnings in the thread title, and I was curious about why W.C. particularly enjoyed the episode.

Do I pass?
Old 05-07-2019, 11:02 AM

I thought it was OK - not great. Never having been a big fan of Sandler (on SNL or in movies), a lot of the material referring to him was lost on me. I was unable to appreciate the family reunion bit - had no idea what characters the actors were referring to, and suspect I wouldn't have liked the characters if I had remembered them. But the Rectix was great! "It's a PILL!" As well as the Romano travel bit.

Thought the lengthy music video "Clothes are holes" was an awfully long slog for minimal humor.

Is the current season drawing more past cast-members than previous seasons? I probably watch about 2/3 of the new eps, and it seems almost every one has at least 1 or more cameos by past cast-members.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:18 AM

I thought the about clothes are your public holes that cover your private holes was pretty funny.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What does this even mean? The whole sketch is literally a one-shot of Adam singing.
I mean that ever since Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, the entire tone of Weekend Update has changed radically from the days of Kevin Nealand. Sure it still has goofy bits with goofy characters doing goofy things, but those things have virtually nothing to do with current events, (e.g., Hader's Stefan, or Keenan's Willie, Che's neighbor.)

Singing the news just doesn't fly as a concept anymore, no matter how silly it is.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I thought it was OK - not great. Never having been a big fan of Sandler (on SNL or in movies), a lot of the material referring to him was lost on me. I was unable to appreciate the family reunion bit - had no idea what characters the actors were referring to, and suspect I wouldn't have liked the characters if I had remembered them. But the Rectix was great! "It's a PILL!" As well as the Romano travel bit.
Regarding the Romano travel bit, it helps if you remember seeing real commercials for Perillo Tours, which featured Steve Perillo and earlier his father Mario Perillo.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 05-07-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
There were no Adam Sandler warnings in the thread title, and I was curious about why W.C. particularly enjoyed the episode.

Do I pass?
No. He didn't ask why you opened the thread, he asked why you posted that. Imagine how annoying Cafe Society would be if every thread had a lot of "I don't like [subject of thread], so I didn't watch/read/listen" posts all over the place.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 05-08-2019 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Dinsdale writes:

> Is the current season drawing more past cast-members than previous seasons?

It's not just former cast members, and it's been going for more than just a year. For several years now, it's become common for a random celebrity who isn't one of the current cast members to suddenly appear in a sketch just out of the blue. They aren't the guest host for that episode. Sometimes they are former cast members, but sometimes they have no long-term connection with the show. The most obvious one is Alec Baldwin and his regular appearances as Trump, even though he's never advertised as a guest on the show. It's become so common that the show has sometimes joked about how strange it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N6jVD6RymA
Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 AM

I loved Operaman. Hope we see more of him.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry, I canít watch anything with Adam Sandler in it.
Ugh. Totally agree. I tried watching the links in the OP and they were about what I expected. The Chris Farley song was a nice tribute.
Quote:
I'm posting because when I opened the thread I didn't know Adam Sandler had been the host of this week's SNL. The thread didn't say anywhere "only positive comments." I have more of a problem with you bitching about someone's response. The thread is about "Adam Sandler," not about "people who you don't agree with, posting about Adam Sandler." You used more words to bitch to Ukulele Ike than his 10 word post.

Yet you felt the need to post post in this thread, why?
Old 05-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Opera Man simply doesn't work with the current style of Weekend Update.
Couldn't disagree more. I thought it was the highlight of the show, and I wasn't a fan of the Opera Man bit when he was doing it originally. Tightly-written, well-performed.

I'm not a Sandler fan, but this was the best single SNL I've seen in a while.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 PM

I caught the Netflix version of the Chris Farley song.. I ain't gonna lie, I ugly cried when I heard it.. Well Done Mr. Sandler, well done.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:28 PM

Well I loved it beginning to end. I've always liked Adam Sandler and his SNL characters though. And I cried during the tribute too.

Last edited by Rushgeekgirl; 05-08-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:04 AM

I only like about one out of every 3 Sandler movies, and the percentage is dropping over time, but this was pretty enjoyable. The family reunion idea is always on the lame side, but after the first couple guys, it was pretty great. Melissa nailed her Waterboy" impersonation, Pete Davidson was great as "little Nickie", and Fallon came back to do his Sandler, which I last saw in a "Jeopardy" skit. Leslie Jones as "Chubbs" was a hoot.

Operaman works every bit as well now as it did before. Whether that is something you enjoy or not, well, maybe ppl's taste changes over time. The Romono tours skit had a premise I enjoyed, and I pretty much echo everyone's opinion on the Farley tribute.

"It's a PILL!"
Old 05-13-2019, 11:44 AM

I really don't have much use for Adam Sandler. I didn't think he was that great during his run on the show, and The Wedding Singer is pretty much the only movie of his that worked for me in the least. So I'm genuinely surprised that I liked as much of this episode as I did. Even the family reunion sketch, a concentrated blast of all of the catchphrases and quirks that cause me to run away from his projects, came off as kind of charming.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy View Post
I really don't have much use for Adam Sandler. I didn't think he was that great during his run on the show, and The Wedding Singer is pretty much the only movie of his that worked for me in the least. So I'm genuinely surprised that I liked as much of this episode as I did. Even the family reunion sketch, a concentrated blast of all of the catchphrases and quirks that cause me to run away from his projects, came off as kind of charming.
Agreed with this. Sandler is NOT my cup of tea, but it seems like he's making an interesting effort this year. By all accounts, his recent Netflix special was the best thing he'd done in years, and this SNL showed him playing to his strengths and being completely self-aware about his weaknesses.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I'm in Japan. Those three link videos produce the same "unavailable" message. But older SNL videos listed (3 weeks and older) can be viewed just fine.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm bumping this to express my shock that no one has commented on the 5/11 episode, with Emma Thompson, Leslie Jones and maybe the funniest bit of physical humor in the show's entire history!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I'm bumping this to express my shock that no one has commented on the 5/11 episode, with Emma Thompson, Leslie Jones and maybe the funniest bit of physical humor in the show's entire history!
Agree it was a very good episode. The Chopped parody and the Perfect Mom skit made me laugh.