Old 05-07-2019, 09:50 AM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Strangest Movie You Ever Saw?

I'm watching Terry Gilliam's Brazil right now, and it is still, along with The Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen, the weirdest big-budget, general release motion picture I've ever seen.

I'm going to split the question into two parts: the biggest "mainstream" movie you ever saw and the weirdest small, arty, direct-to-DVD - whatever, as long as it didn't play in New York or L.A. for the seven days it needed to qualify for an Academy Award.

Deine "weird" however you want, whether you liked it or not, whether it did or didn't have a coherent plot, but other stuff was weird, whatever.

This might prove interesting
Old 05-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Eraserhead.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 AM
SD Curator of Critters

For "mainstream" movie I might nominate Being John Malkovich.

For arty movie, I'll nominate El Topo ("The Mole"), an utterly surreal "acid western" by Mexican director Alejandro Jodorowsky. The trailer only gives the merest hint of how genuinely bizarre and deeply disturbing this film is.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Probably The Mask (1961).
Old 05-07-2019, 10:07 AM

"Hardcore Henry"
Old 05-07-2019, 10:18 AM

Deadgirl.

It was strange (and disturbing) enough that I couldn't get through it. That is very rare for me.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Black Moon, a film that never explains anything, has no plot, and yet is fascinating.

Most of the work of Luis Bunuel.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
Eraserhead.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Last Year at Marienbad was pretty weird,. too. As was

Carnival of Souls.

Liquid Sky

Possession (1981) -- Played in major theaters, starred Sam Neill. Special effects by Carlo Rambaldi. Weird as hell.

Arguably the weirdest movie to be "accepted" as a Mainstream Movie, though, was Koyaanisqatsi. An "art film" with gorgeous photography and a Philip Glass score, it was moved from theater to theater when I was in Salt Lake City, and only eventually ended up at the "Art Cinema", after having played several commercial theaters. No plot. No spoken dialogue. Still attracted a lot of attention from people who don't usually see that kind of thing.

There were two sequels, but they didn't do anywhere near as well.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:36 AM

Zardoz.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 AM

Just this past Sunday there was a film festival here in Krakow (Krakow Off Camera Festival) where I watched an Irish movie with Will Forte (Saturday Night Live) called "Extra Ordinary" a "Comedy" that was so bizzare, so crazed and warped that I am still trying to wrap my head around it, and failing miserably.

Overall, it was simply too "Over The Top" for me to really enjoy, but it had a few stand alone one-liners that were as funny (if twisted) as anything I have seen in recent years.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Strangest I think I’ve seen was The American Astronaut (2001.) It only grossed $36,000 so that’s a pretty small film. A bizarre black and white sci-fi musical.

The new film “In Fabric” is also pretty damn surreal! I saw it at a film festival, it opens later this year.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 05-07-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:02 AM

For big budget films, Inception probably left me wondering why I spent good money on a very strange two hours.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 AM

Naked Lunch.

Movie is out there...
Old 05-07-2019, 11:11 AM

I won't mention "intentionally strange" movies (David Lynch and the like) because it's just too easy.

I think the most truly strange movie was 1999's "Friends and Lovers". Supposedly a romantic indie comedy (with a solid cast including Robert Downey Jr.), it is a bizarre blend of rank amateur and well-made filmmaking, with lots of "what the hell was that" moments mingled with some actual funny stuff. It provides more surrealist entertainment than a dozen wannabe cult films combined.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:16 AM

I'll go with 'Possession' with Sam Neill and ....Isabel Adjani?....reading a synopsis makes you think it's a sci-fi or horror film. It's a horror, all right, but not in the way you might think. Faintly ominous, with moments of horrifying WTF and a disturbing scene in a deserted subway station that goes on FOREVER.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:17 AM
SD Curator of Critters

I suppose The Lobster qualifies as a general release movie, but I doubt it played a lot of multiplexes. With the premise being that single people have to find a partner within 45 days or they get turned into animals, it's pretty strange, as are all of director Yorgos Lanthimos's movies.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I'll go with 'Possession' with Sam Neill and ....Isabel Adjani?....reading a synopsis makes you think it's a sci-fi or horror film. It's a horror, all right, but not in the way you might think. Faintly ominous, with moments of horrifying WTF and a disturbing scene in a deserted subway station that goes on FOREVER.
Hah! Finally, someone else who saw the movie!

I saw it in a nearly deserted theater in Salt Lake City. I'd been curious ever since I saw still from it in Cinefantastique, but even that didn't prepare me for how off-the-wall it was.

And, yeah, that scene with Isabel Adjani freaking out in the subway goes on 'way too long.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:50 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Manos: The Hands of Fate, the non-MST3K version.

Ugh.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 PM

The tiny budget 1980 film Forbidden Zone is memorable, unfortunately. Once seen, cannot be unseen.

Thread Crossover Spotting:

At one point Danny Elfman as Satan sings a version of Minnie the Moocher.

I wonder whatever happened to that guy?

It's 88% at RT. I just ... don't ... have ... words.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Some good suggestions have been made. Let me add The Forbidden Zone.

ninja'd

Last edited by Little Nemo; 05-07-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Strawhouse View Post
I won't mention "intentionally strange" movies (David Lynch and the like) because it's just too easy.

I think the most truly strange movie was 1999's "Friends and Lovers". Supposedly a romantic indie comedy (with a solid cast including Robert Downey Jr.), it is a bizarre blend of rank amateur and well-made filmmaking, with lots of "what the hell was that" moments mingled with some actual funny stuff. It provides more surrealist entertainment than a dozen wannabe cult films combined.
Okay, if you want to go with strange movies that weren't intentionally strange, I'm nominated The Room.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 05-07-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
The tiny budget 1980 film Forbidden Zone is memorable, unfortunately. Once seen, cannot be unseen.

Thread Crossover Spotting:

At one point Danny Elfman as Satan sings a version of Minnie the Moocher.

I wonder whatever happened to that guy?

It's 88% at RT. I just ... don't ... have ... words.

I once showed this at one of my yearly Bad Film Festivals (THe theme that year was "Failed Cult Movies").

Only partway through the opening credits, my wife begged me to turn it off. She was outvoted, but five minutes later, everyone else voted to turn it off.

Aside from people on this Board, I'm the only one I know who has watched it all the way through.

Yet the first time I saw it was on HBO. And they had it prominently available for rental at the video rental place I used for years. I think a lot of people saw it and don't want to admit it.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

It's Whoopi Goldberg in The Telephone.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:38 PM

The Greasy Strangler.

About someone who likes to grease himself up and strangle people until their eyes pop. Then go and wash it off down the local automatic carwash which is run by a blind man.

Especially the two minute sequence based around the pronounciation of the word Potato.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Mandy with Nick Cage has to be on this list
Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Holy Motors was supposed to be mainstream, wasn't it? It certainly did ok at film festivals.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:06 PM

I love weird movies including all the Terry Gilliam ones mentioned. The mother of weird movies for me has to be Darren Aronofsky's "Mother!" with Jennifer Lawrence. It starts off kinda quirky, but man, when it gets rolling, it's hard to imagine filming anything weirder. I can't say I enjoyed it, but it's definitely memorable.

Last edited by Joey Tightlips; 05-07-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 PM

For mainstream, after watching Even Cowgirls Get the Blues I was left wondering "what the fuck did I just watch?". I still couldn't describe the plot to this day, other than Uma Thurman had huge thumbs.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Most of the good(?) ones have already been mentioned, so I'll go with Gentlemen Broncos, which featured(?) one of the most bizarre projectile vomiting scenes I've ever witnessed.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:16 PM

I've seen "Pink Flamingos". Need I say more?

The weirdest "documentary" I've ever seen has to be a low-budget doco I got from Netflix called "Patient Seventeen". It was ostensibly about a podiatrist (who died before filming completed) who was willing to remove alien implants from people's feet and lower legs, and then it veered off the rails and they interviewed some people who seemed shady in ways I couldn't seem to define. I Googled one of them, and he turned out to be one of the people who was interviewed as John Doe #2 in the Oklahoma City bombing, and still hasn't been fully exonerated.

Other people on this board have talked about a low-budget movie called "Gummo" that is loosely based on the tornado that nearly destroyed Xenia, Ohio. That was really weird, too.

My local PBS station aired a cut-for-length movie a while back called "Rat Film" that was a total mind-fart, and I shut it off halfway through. I thought it had critical parts scissored out and that was why I couldn't understand it, but IMDB said otherwise. Apparently, it won some awards at SXSW and that's how it landed on PBS.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:17 PM

My Brother’s Keeper, a documentary with the tagline, “A Heartwarming Tale of Murder”. It really made one think about life, death, justice, morality etc.
Donny Darko. My brain is still mushy from those 2 hours.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I've not seen Forbidden Zone, but a movie mindfuck with a similar name is The Forbidden Room.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
Eraserhead.
I once dated a man who, when the relationship started to deteriorate, said, "I should have known, when you told me you liked 'Eraserhead'." Anyway, he and I watched "Kentucky Fried Movie" together on Betamax, and when I was in college a few years later, I found it on VHS and I watched it with my BFF. Neither of us thought it was all that funny, this time around, and when my roommate came home after closing down a bar, put it in the VCR and while watching it, thought, "I cannot believe NWH would watch something like this."

TCM sometimes shows really bad modern movies, and one they show a couple times a year is called "Heavenly Bodies." Len Maltin rated it "BOMB" and said, "The first Aerobics Musical, and with any luck, the last." It's an unintentional comedy.

"Koyaanisqatsi" is absolutely brilliant, but you have to be able to watch it from start to finish without a break to really appreciate it. "Powaqqatsi" is nowhere near as good, and I haven't seen "Nagoyqatsi."
Old 05-07-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
My Brother’s Keeper, a documentary with the tagline, “A Heartwarming Tale of Murder”. It really made one think about life, death, justice, morality etc.
I saw it on VHS not long after it came out, and later on DVD when that became available. I listened to the commentary track, and the filmmakers did say at the end what they thought really happened.

I personally disagreed; I will explain if anyone PMs me.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
"Koyaanisqatsi" is absolutely brilliant, but you have to be able to watch it from start to finish without a break to really appreciate it. "Powaqqatsi" is nowhere near as good, and I haven't seen "Nagoyqatsi."
If you liked Koyaanisqatsi then I would recommend Samsara. IMO, it is better than Powaqqatsi and Nagoyqatsi.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:36 PM

Mainstream (ish): Sir Henry At Rawlinson End. Hard to describe - a brain-dump of Vivian Stanshall gives you some idea.

Small, Arty etc: I Was Catherine the Great's Stable Boy, a 5 minute short which is, well, pretty much what it says on the can. The weirdest thing about it is how anyone thought that making it was a good idea.

j
Old 05-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

House

No, not the American one. The Japanese one. I had to watch it twice b/c the first time through I kept saying to myself "I can't believe this is actually happening."

(The link has a trailer right there. Tell me that ain't some weird shit.)

Last edited by divemaster; 05-07-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
TCM sometimes shows really bad modern movies, and one they show a couple times a year is called "Heavenly Bodies." Len Maltin rated it "BOMB" and said, "The first Aerobics Musical, and with any luck, the last." It's an unintentional comedy.
That's where I was first made aware of a little weird one called Nothing Lasts Forever. I'm not sure what they were smoking when they wrote it, but they should have switched dealers. It's not as strange as some of the others listed, but it's up there.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:42 PM

For mainstream movies, "Buckaroo Banzai" was pretty far off the wall.

I also accidentally saw Synecdoche New York. It's very bizarre, got very good ratings, and I disliked it rather a lot.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:50 PM

Some of the weird movies I've watched recently:
Synecdoche, New York
Brazil
Timecode
Memento

Of these, Memento is the one I'd recommend. I like time travel movies, but this is in a sense opposite to time travel! And, instead of science fiction, experts say it presents anterograde amnesia realistically.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:51 PM

The strangest movie I've actually watched in its entirety is Cube, a science fiction/horror film released in 1997 about a group of people trapped in a maze of cube-shaped rooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_(film)
Old 05-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Doctor Strange
Old 05-07-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Okay, if you want to go with strange movies that weren't intentionally strange, I'm nominated The Room.
It has 3.7 Imdb points — I didn't realize their scale went that low. I'm tempted to watch it just to what such a bad but strange movie is about!
Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Beyond the Black Rainbow
Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM

I’ve seen Forbidden Zone at least 3-4 times and have always enjoyed it. Taken as homage to the ethos of Fleischer Studio cartoons of the 1930s, it’s not even all that strange.

I’ve also seen Possession – on a Betamax tape! – and found it not so much strange as awful and virtually unwatchable. The same director (Andrzej Zulawski) made L'amour braque (1985).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088714/?ref_=rvi_tt

I have tried to watch it twice, getting no more than 30 minutes in either time. The first time, I thought I was the victim of a horrendously bad English translation. Upon further investigation, I discovered this was not accurate; almost every line of dialogue in the film is a non-sequitur or nonsense. And it’s “based” on a Dostoevsky novel!

Horrors of Malformed Men (1969)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142257/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Not a cheesy horror film, but a dysfunctional family drama, emphasis on dysfunctional. One of very few movies I have ever seen to truly capture a dream-like state of existence.

Erendira (1983)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085501/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Based on the novel by Gabriel García Márquez, who also wrote the screenplay, this is a very watchable piece of Magical Realism.

Marquis (1989)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097839/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Sometimes disgusting flick has actors in minimally expressive animal suits playing out a 19th century Bastille-based story centering on the Marquis - a dog with a talking penis (voiced by a woman) - among other perverse faux-fauna. Notwithstanding the gimmick, it’s intelligent and entertaining for discriminating viewers.

Toto Who Lived Twice (1998)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144646/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I watched 7.5 minutes in all. The first scene was some guy having sex with a cow. I take it for granted the rest was strange as well.

Last edited by Dropo; 05-07-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:53 PM

Curdled

Harold and Maude

Succubus
Old 05-07-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Strangest I think I’ve seen was The American Astronaut (2001.) It only grossed $36,000 so that’s a pretty small film. A bizarre black and white sci-fi musical.

The new film “In Fabric” is also pretty damn surreal! I saw it at a film festival, it opens later this year.
Astronaut is also my choice for strangest film.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:19 PM

While there are weirder films, I think the works of Ken Russel have been sadly ignored in this thread, especially as they were intended to be relatively "mainstream" films, at least for their (very strange) period. I'd suggest Lizstomania, a biopic (in the broadest sense of the word) of 19th Century composer Franz Liszt, starring Roger Daltrey, a giant prosthetic penis, Nazis and Ringo Starr as the Pope.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I suppose The Lobster qualifies as a general release movie, but I doubt it played a lot of multiplexes. With the premise being that single people have to find a partner within 45 days or they get turned into animals, it's pretty strange, as are all of director Yorgos Lanthimos's movies.
The Lobster and Dogtooth (also by Lanthimos) were the first movies that came to mind.

Also:

Mulholland Drive by David Lynch
Oldboy (the original Korean film by Park Chan-wook)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:40 PM

Skidoo.

I mean, I always wanted to see Jackie Gleason trip out on acid...