Old 05-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Are we going crazy over spoilers?

The other day an acquaintance/fb friend posted that the last Game of Thrones episode was very sad. At least two people jumped on her for spoilers. This just seems crazy to me. I'm on board with not spoiling plot points, but now it seems like if you reveal the most trivial of details people act like you killed their dog. I see this on the dope also, where you have to spoiler box anything an actor says in an interview, even in a thread for people who have already seen the episode.

For example pretend Empire was released this past Friday. Saying things like "Vader is Luke's father" or "The annoying swamp creature actually is the great Jedi master Yoda" would not be cool at all. But now it seems people would get upset if you said something like "Han makes a wisecrack" or "There is a pursuit in space." It just seems like an overreaction.

I went into Endgame with two very minor spoilers, one from here that got modded. It didn't affect my enjoyment at all.

Does anyone else feel like we're overdoing it on the spoiler-phobia? Or am I one the one that's wrong? Spoiler alert: I'm not.

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 05-07-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Definitely.

First of all, spoilers don't "ruin" anything. I remember reading the original National Lampoon article that coined the term. Finding out that Norman Bates was impersonating his mother did nothing to ruin my enjoyment of Psycho. If spoilers ruined a movie, then why would anyone see a movie twice?

It's mostly a fear that your experience won't be exactly the same as others who didn't know the twists. You can enjoy the movie knowing the twist (I liked The Crying Game even though I had seen the twist before I got to see it), but your enjoyment will be different. Which brings up the question: why do you need to have the same experience?

But in the micro level, the issue is that <Karloff as Frankenstein's monster>"spoiler bad"</Karloff as Frankenstein's monster> and thus any comment on the film gets the spoiler police on your case, even if you don't post anything that gives anything away.

The spoiler police also use this to show that they're superior. It allows them to perform a "gotcha." So they get the same egoboo by crying "spoiler" even if you allude to twists ("Wow! I didn't expect that ending!" "Spoiler!!!!!!!").

I agree that it's just politeness to avoid giving away big plot twists. But, ultimately, the cry of "spoiler" has nothing to do with the movie being spoiled.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 05-07-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Definitely.

First of all, spoilers don't "ruin" anything. I remember reading the original National Lampoon article that coined the term. Finding out that Norman Bates was impersonating his mother did nothing to ruin my enjoyment of Psycho. If spoilers ruined a movie, then why would anyone see a movie twice?
Because the second viewing is a different experience. The first viewing of The Sixth Sense is much different than the second.

If someone says that a GoT episode is sad, then it gives away that a liked character is probably going to die. When you watch it, you anticipate that happening and it changes the viewing experience.

Personally, I don't like spoilers at all. If I'm going to watch something, like Avengers or GoT, I don't need to know anything in advance and I'd prefer to watch without knowing anything. I don't watch movie trailers, don't watch teasers, don't see any promotional material before watching. I find that I enjoy the experience more, especially given the frequent major spoilers that are present in these things. On Sundays before GoT, I go on an internet embargo pretty much just to avoid spoilers.

YMMV. O
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

No kidding. There are some people around here who are spoiler martyrs - mention the day the next episode is on and they freak out. Purposefully revealing plot points to a current release is being a jerk, not committing murder. If you can't stand the slightest clue to what is happening, then either be first in line to see the movie or get the fuck over it. After a week it's on you. People shouldn't have to tip-toe around discussions just because you are psychotic.

Oh, and about your life.....valar morghulis. Hope that didn't spoil anything for anybody.

Last edited by silenus; 05-07-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I never was one to give a shit if something was "spoiled" for me. If it's a good movie or show, it's a good movie or show, and I don't really care whether I know ahead of time a major plot point or not. Sometimes, hell, I look it up and spoil it for myself.

But I know I'm somewhat odd in that. Of course I would never purposely spoil anything for anyone, but saying an episode is "sad" is not a spoiler in any way, shape, or form. I've never watched an episode of GoT, but don't people die left and right in the series?
Old 05-07-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But, ultimately, the cry of "spoiler" has nothing to do with the movie being spoiled.
It's not the movie that's spoiled; it's the surprise. And yes, it does spoil the surprise.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Just to clarify, I don't like spoilers for major twists. I remember the surprise when I found out about Vader and Luke. But I don't think "This movie is darker than Star Wars" should count as a spoiler. It doesn't spoil any surprise. Hell it's just an opinion.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Depends on context.

It's a reasonable courtesy to be mindful of spoiling major things for people. It's also a reasonable courtesy to take some personal responsibility for avoiding them if it's really important to you. If you're too busy to watch it when it airs, maybe be a little careful about diving into social media will silly.

Of course, Facebook is a multibillion corporation, and some how doesn't even have the basic spoiler tools this rusty old message board has. There is something profoundly wrong with that.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:26 PM
Mere Member

It always amazes me that people who don't want things spoiled read the threads about them. It seems to me people shouldn't be able to cry about spoilers if they don't even have the discipline to stay out of a thread. If I don't want anything spoiled, I stay off the internet!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Because the second viewing is a different experience. The first viewing of The Sixth Sense is much different than the second.
So? That's my point: people are afraid they won't have the same experience than everyone else. Why is it essential you follow the crowd?

Knowing the twist on the Sixth Sense only means your experience is more like seeing it a second time than how others felt when they saw it the first time. Why is that such a horrible thing?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
It's not the movie that's spoiled; it's the surprise. And yes, it does spoil the surprise.
But if the surprise is the only reason to see a movie, it's not a very good movie. Again, it's the fear that you won't experience things the same way as everyone else.

Yes, it was a clever surprise when Darth Vader's identity was revealed, but that's one minute of a two-hour movie. That clearly can't be the only thing that was worth watching in that two hours.

Now, I understand that it's bad form to blurt out major plot twists. But if someone does, the movie is just as good as it ever was. You just don't get to experience the surprise you won't experience anyway on the second viewing. If someone gives away a twist, it's not really a big deal.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But if the surprise is the only reason to see a movie, it's not a very good movie.
But the surprises and plot twists and wanting to find out what happens are a big part of the pleasure that a movie (or novel, or TV show) provides—for some movies, and to some people. It sounds like you don't value this as much as some other people do.

Quote:
Again, it's the fear that you won't experience things the same way as everyone else.
Why do you have to bring "everyone else" into it? It's the fear that you won't experience things the same way, or derive the same enjoyment from them, as you otherwise would have.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Movies are carefully crafted for the twists and turns to have maximum impact. There's only one first watching experience. It's a great shame to ruin that ahead of time. Obviously for some people that doesn't bother them, they read the last page of murder mysteries first, and watch TV series five years after everyone else, and read the wikipedia plot synopsis first to make sure they will like it. Those people are not everybody, and their opinion on spoilers can bugger off.

I grew up in a country where all movies and TV shows got to us sometimes as much as a year after the US release, so we got spoiled on a lot of things by osmosis. I regret that time a lot, and am totally invested in being able to watch now pretty much in real time with the rest of the world. I hate spoilers, I do not want to know big twists ahead of time, and am very careful not to spoil back in turn.

I'm okay with casting announcements. I'm okay with trailers that only show snippets from the first third of the film. But I have taken to avoid trailers or TV spots that are weeks out from release, as they tend to give away too much, where you can almost piece together the full plot from each of them. Give me more trailers that are like specially filmed with no scenes from the final movie.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Knowing the twist on the Sixth Sense only means your experience is more like seeing it a second time than how others felt when they saw it the first time. Why is that such a horrible thing?
I'm not sure what you get out of making the argument you've been making lately. Personally I just cannot bring myself to believe that you are in earnest here. Which isn't to say that I believe that you are lying, rather, I believe I simply have a blindspot that is preventing me from understanding your perspective and your purpose.

As for this particular example, I had an incredible experience watching the Sixth Sense for the first time. I didn't get the chance to see the movie in the theaters, but I did watch it at home pretty much as soon as it was available. I was fortunate that I was able to avoid spoilers (I doubt such a thing would be possible today - headers on Youtube and Reddit spoiled elements of Endgame and last week's GoT within hours of their respective premiers).

Unlike some on the 'Dope, I did not predict the twist to the movie as I watched it, at least not consciously. There was definitely something tickling the ol' noodle as I watched the film, however, and the subtle tension built with each hint dropped by Shyamalan. Then, at the instant the twist was about to be revealed, I experienced a most delightful epiphany. I was swimming in excitement as the realization that
SPOILER:
Bruce Willis' character had been a ghost for most of the movie
blossomed in my brain, and my memory quickly supplied the evidence. Scene by scene, I recalled the secret hints, and was greatly rewarded as Shyamalan replayed each scene in sequence on my television a moment after my memory flashed upon them.

It was a singular experience, and one of the most enjoyable moments in movie watching I've ever had.

So, for anyone who is ambivalent or apathetic about the importance of spoilers, I wish you would at least hear those who ask that you not extinguish our enjoyment, however small or trite. I just don't get how anyone can't see it's a dick move to spoil things for others.

Last edited by Orr, G.; 05-07-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

I'm with you, Larry. My cousin rightly was called out by his sister when he popped on FB about 10:30pm on Sunday night and revealed a GoT spoiler. He wasn't thinking (he also didn't take down the post, but he's nearing senior citizen age so maybe he hasn't figured that out). But saying GoT had a sad episode is like saying that the rain yesterday was wet. A GoT spoiler would be revealing that the Queens smiled at each other and put their differences aside while their armies were performing a West Side Story-ish dance (which, given how the series has spoiled the books, is how George R.R. Martin is now intending on ending it. Clegane-Bowl will actually be a GotG dance-off, only this time Gregor (Ronan) takes part.) (guess I should have spoilered that...)
Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I'm with you, Larry. My cousin rightly was called out by his sister when he popped on FB about 10:30pm on Sunday night and revealed a GoT spoiler. He wasn't thinking (he also didn't take down the post, but he's nearing senior citizen age so maybe he hasn't figured that out). But saying GoT had a sad episode is like saying that the rain yesterday was wet. A GoT spoiler would be revealing that the Queens smiled at each other and put their differences aside while their armies were performing a West Side Story-ish dance (which, given how the series has spoiled the books, is how George R.R. Martin is now intending on ending it. Clegane-Bowl will actually be a GotG dance-off, only this time Gregor (Ronan) takes part.) (guess I should have spoilered that...)
Thank you, D_Odds. This is not quite where I wanted the discussion to go. I am anti-spoiler and reject RealityChuck's odd arguments. I don't like major plot points ruined. My points are only:

A.) What counts as a spoiler has gotten ridiculous. Nowadays people would freak out if you mentioned that Empire had a darker tone than Star Wars. Spoiler warnings should be for major plot reveals, not for the most trivial things.

B.) Even if you get some, how to put it, medium plot twist spoiled, it's not the end of the world. You can still enjoy the flick. I had people at my bar relentlessly discussing Rogue One, and although it pissed me off, I was still able to enjoy the movie. Would have preferred it without spoilers, but it was still a good time.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:02 AM

Quote:
So? That's my point: people are afraid they won't have the same experience than everyone else. Why is it essential you follow the crowd?

Oh come on, seriously? Because you can enjoy both experiences, the first and second experience of watching the movie. If someone spoils it for you, now you can only enjoy the second. Half the experience has been taken away from you. You pretty much say right there in your post why it's bad, and then ask why it's bad.

You ask why you "follow the crowd" and that makes no sense at all. You're following the intent of the author. The author intended the shock of the audience and having them look back and piece everything together to be part of the experience. You're taking away a significant portion of the enjoyment a first time viewer or reader is supposed to have. Being "part of the crowd" has nothing to do with that, and this too is a nonsensical argument.

I can understand if, you, personally, don't think that you derive enjoyment from the shock of having a mystery or hidden narrative revealed to you the first time. But acting like you can't understand why other people enjoy that strikes me as very dishonest and indicative of a weird agenda.

Also, I know people think I'm the poster child for spoiler oversensitivity on these boards, since I get snipes thrown at me in unrelated threads all the time. But that's not actually accurate at all. I stepped in and tried to come up with rules for the Game of Thrones thread a long time ago because the threads were a fucking mess that devolved into bickering over what and wasn't a spoiler, with a lot of people being assholes about "I'll decide what a spoiler is, besides you're a big baby for not being spoiled" and people trying to keep that out of the thread. GoT discussion threads were like 40% bickering without those rules. I read the books like 6 years ago anyway.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 05-08-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
It always amazes me that people who don't want things spoiled read the threads about them. It seems to me people shouldn't be able to cry about spoilers if they don't even have the discipline to stay out of a thread. If I don't want anything spoiled, I stay off the internet!
Yeah, I don't understand these people either. There used to be people like this all over the place when IMDB had message boards too. Why are you reading message boards about a movie before seeing it if you don't want spoilers?

Threads here often are about a season of a given TV show. If you're not caught up to the most recent episode, don't read it again before you are and then whine that there are spoilers, geez.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

I'll say this, in about 3 weeks, this hyper sensitivity to spoilers is going to go away for a while.

Spoilers are only a "thing" at certain times, when big projects are being dropped that have an OMG moment.

GoT and Avengers have been the last two big projects with those moments, and people were understandably sensitive to being spoiled. Nobody gives a crap if you spoil the ending to Aquaman, Black Panther, or The Big Bang Theory.

But if a work does have an OMG moment, you miss out on that moment if you get spoiled.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:43 AM

Why would someone go on FB to announce that the GoT episode was sad? What do they get out of that?

If someone asks you how last night's episode was and you say, "I won't spoil it for you but it was sad," and that person gets upset about spoilers, then I agree with the OP that they're being too broad in what they consider a spoiler. But only because it was part of an organic conversation. If you call someone out of the blue and say, "OMG you have to watch this episode, something shocking happens!" then that's a total spoiler and a dick move, even though it's not a plot point and doesn't seem like you're giving anything away. Because nobody asked. Posting reactions on FB for all the world to accidentally see definitely falls into that category. Keep it to yourself.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:54 AM

The issue that I have is what is the point to a Facebook post of "I watched Game of Thrones, and it was sad." Too often the next post is "yes, I was hoping that [dead character's name] would make it to the end." The first post is saying "I want to discuss the last episode" which is followed by a discussion of the last episode, which invariably includes spoilers. If you want to discuss the episode with someone, give them a phone call, or text back and forth. Don't discuss it in public with tons of people nearby.
Oh, and stay off my lawn.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM

All these posts that have "and it was sad" just make me hear them in Patton Oswald's George Lucas voice from his Star Wars prequels bit.

Just as a data point, more than one study shows that spoilers don't negatively affect enjoyment of media (but may have other negative connotations , like threaten autonomy) I know of at least one study that disagrees, though. More research is clearly needed.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I never was one to give a shit if something was "spoiled" for me. If it's a good movie or show, it's a good movie or show, and I don't really care whether I know ahead of time a major plot point or not. Sometimes, hell, I look it up and spoil it for myself.

But I know I'm somewhat odd in that. Of course I would never purposely spoil anything for anyone, but saying an episode is "sad" is not a spoiler in any way, shape, or form. I've never watched an episode of GoT, but don't people die left and right in the series?
I'm pretty much the same way. The good guys are going to win, I already know that, so there is little to spoil. It's not the destination, it's the journey.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Unless, like Mrs. FtG and myself, you were actually paying attention then the second time will be the same as the first. The movie is definitely enjoyable is you realize the deal right away.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
This is not a good argument. The second viewing, knowing what will happen, can still be a good experience. It can even be a better experience. But it is definitely a different experience than going in without knowing what will happen. And if someone tells you what happened, you have lost your chance at that first experience.

I really like that first experience, so I try to protect myself from finding out about movies. I don't watch trailers. I try to avoid stuff on the internet (which is relatively easy when I just have to not go into specific threads or subreddits, but hard when random info pops up everywhere.

I agree with your general point that very vague information isn't really a spoiler. On the other hand, I will say that people often are very bad at determining whether what they write or say is sufficiently vague to not impart relevant information.

That said, I also don't go onto twitter or facebook until I've watched the latest GoT episode. Because sometimes something is enough of a cultural touchstone that you can't escape discussion of it.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 05-08-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:

Because it's not my preference. I mean, you can watch movies backwards too if you want, you get all the same information, just presented in a different order. The director of the film intended a certain thing in a certain order. I think the viewing experience is more enjoyable generally if seen without advanced fore knowledge. If that's not your thing, it's fine with me.

My general practice is before engaging in conversation about some recent thing, I ask if the person has seen it, or cares if I talk about it. If other people start talking about something I haven't seen, I let them know I haven't seen it and can we talk about something else. If so, that's fine, if not, I'll leave. Having a blanket practice to simply avoid all discussion makes it easy to avoid spoilers. Because as we can see from this thread, people have different views on what exactly constitutes a spoiler.

Pretty easy. I don't flip out about it, but I do make an effort because I find that more enjoyable.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Thank you, D_Odds. This is not quite where I wanted the discussion to go. I am anti-spoiler and reject RealityChuck's odd arguments. I don't like major plot points ruined. My points are only:

A.) What counts as a spoiler has gotten ridiculous. Nowadays people would freak out if you mentioned that Empire had a darker tone than Star Wars. Spoiler warnings should be for major plot reveals, not for the most trivial things.

B.) Even if you get some, how to put it, medium plot twist spoiled, it's not the end of the world. You can still enjoy the flick. I had people at my bar relentlessly discussing Rogue One, and although it pissed me off, I was still able to enjoy the movie. Would have preferred it without spoilers, but it was still a good time.
Agreed. The pendulum has swung way strangely when it comes to spoilers. It's to the point where you feel you can't really discuss the show at all even in the most broad of terms (which should be one of the fun things about social media). It's where people don't know when they can talk about things, because someone may not have seen last week's episode and jumps on you for thinking things are safe.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I dont care for spoilers, but yes, the Op is correct. Perhaps we are bending over backwards. "It's his sled" is a spoiler. "The ship sinks!" is not.

"I am your father" is a spoiler, "Han was full of snappy wit." is not.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

RealityChuck, even if we grant for the sake of argument that it's irrational to be bothered by spoilers, so what? People are irrational sometimes. Maybe people shouldn't be upset, but they are, and doing things just to upset people is a jerk move.

All that said, I can say that I definitely wouldn't moderate someone for saying thing like "this episode was sad", or "this movie is dark". But i haven't seen much complaint about that sort of thing, either. Doubtless there are some who complain that much, but there don't seem to be very many.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:45 PM

I am with everyone else saying that being scared of spoilers is really overrated. People don't read Shakespeare for the surprises, or Harry Potter, or Tolkien, either! You enjoy art for how it tells the story. What elements set the stage and scene.

Ever since reading "The Hero with 1000 Faces", I have been intrigued more in the storytelling than the story itself. Even with regard to reality TV shows (Unreal's "behind the scenes" show was wonderful for this), I don't mind full spoilers as I want to see how the editing controls and releases the story and crafts villains and heroes. So I have 0 patience for anyone who can't handle spoilers any time after 11.pm Pacific on the first night of a show.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
or Harry Potter
Am I being whooshed? Harry Potter had probably the biggest arguments about spoilers in history before Endgame showed up.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:

If someone says that a GoT episode is sad, then it gives away that a liked character is probably going to die. When you watch it, you anticipate that happening and it changes the viewing experience.

Personally, I don't like spoilers at all. If I'm going to watch something, like Avengers or GoT, I don't need to know anything in advance and I'd prefer to watch without knowing anything. I don't watch movie trailers, don't watch teasers, don't see any promotional material before watching. I find that I enjoy the experience more, especially given the frequent major spoilers that are present in these things. On Sundays before GoT, I go on an internet embargo pretty much just to avoid spoilers.

YMMV. O
I agree with the basic premise of the OP, but sometimes it doesn't take a lot to spoil a movie. When the Sixth Sense came out, I saw the review on Siskel and Ebert, and of course they are not going to spoil anything. Except Ebert did. There was already a buzz about the movie and that there was a great twist at the end. Ebert said that it was very effective, and that it wasn't like "I woke up and it was all a dream." Didn't think anything about it at the time, but about 20 minutes into the movie I knew how it would end.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I am with everyone else saying that being scared of spoilers is really overrated. People don't read Shakespeare for the surprises, or Harry Potter, or Tolkien, either! You enjoy art for how it tells the story. What elements set the stage and scene.

Ever since reading "The Hero with 1000 Faces", I have been intrigued more in the storytelling than the story itself. Even with regard to reality TV shows (Unreal's "behind the scenes" show was wonderful for this), I don't mind full spoilers as I want to see how the editing controls and releases the story and crafts villains and heroes. So I have 0 patience for anyone who can't handle spoilers any time after 11.pm Pacific on the first night of a show.
Yeah, see, this I don't get. It reads like you are blinding yourself to a great number of reasons that go into what makes for enjoyable storytelling just to hang your hat on this particular side of the issue. Not just saying that this or that aspect have never appealed to you, but outright ignoring the existence of whole swathes of the craft of storytelling. For instance, careful crafting using certain techniques to build tension, that rely on the initial ignorance of the viewer or reader for full effect.

Sure, plenty of art is quite enjoyable and just as meaningful, or more so, if you have knowledge prior to your direct experience of it, but there is plenty of art for which the experienced is damaged by prior knowledge. Examples abound, and I am dumbfounded by responses like this.

I mean, if you (general case) were to gleefully call yourself a dick and say that you don't care what anyone else wants, we could all just call you a dick for kicking sandcastles and make a point of ignoring you in the future. But some of the posts in this thread have evinced such a paucity of imagination as to the vast richness of storytelling and the oft times delicate teasing and foreplay that are integral to the experience of enjoying a story that it boggles my mind.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:26 PM

It’s about timing. If the ending of Jaws is ruined at the water cooler, well, too bad. A trailer spoiling important parts of a movie that is just about to be released in the theaters. That sucks.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr, G. View Post
Yeah, see, this I don't get. It reads like you are blinding yourself to a great number of reasons that go into what makes for enjoyable storytelling just to hang your hat on this particular side of the issue. Not just saying that this or that aspect have never appealed to you, but outright ignoring the existence of whole swathes of the craft of storytelling. For instance, careful crafting using certain techniques to build tension, that rely on the initial ignorance of the viewer or reader for full effect.

Sure, plenty of art is quite enjoyable and just as meaningful, or more so, if you have knowledge prior to your direct experience of it, but there is plenty of art for which the experienced is damaged by prior knowledge. Examples abound, and I am dumbfounded by responses like this.

I mean, if you (general case) were to gleefully call yourself a dick and say that you don't care what anyone else wants, we could all just call you a dick for kicking sandcastles and make a point of ignoring you in the future. But some of the posts in this thread have evinced such a paucity of imagination as to the vast richness of storytelling and the oft times delicate teasing and foreplay that are integral to the experience of enjoying a story that it boggles my mind.

I'm not sure that my response justified being called a dick- I simply said that people are overreacting to being spoiled; not that I intentional set out to spoil things. If it is so critical to a person to not want to have something spoiled there are two solutions: 1. Be first in line
2. Avoid spoilers- don't go online, don't read reviews, don't talk to people about your dear subject.

See how easy that is- no name calling required! You can control your own destiny.

With regard to Harry Potter (and Star Wars), no borschevsky you aren't being whooshed. Readership hasn't gone down (much). Harry Potter land isn't less popular. The plot points are well known and the books/movies are still just as loved and enjoyed today. I have similarly no concern that if I watched the Red Wedding, I could still enjoy it.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

A reminder, since it seems to be necessary, that unmarked spoilers are in fact considered jerkish here, and will be moderated as such, even if the person doing the spoiling doesn't see a problem with it. Even if spoilers don't diminish your enjoyment, they do for other people.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure that my response justified being called a dick-
Sorry about that; it wasn't my intent to call you a dick. I came back tonight because I realized that my pivot from responding to you vs. a general venting was so quick and poorly telegraphed that it probably looked like I was meaning to insult you. I apologize.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
But if the surprise is the only reason to see a movie, it's not a very good movie. Again, it's the fear that you won't experience things the same way as everyone else.
This "fear of not having everyone else's experience" argument is super weird, and I'm really struggling to see how you got to that conclusion.

I'm not super aggro about spoilers, but I do tend to prefer going into something new with no preconceptions. Or at least, as few as possible. I can still enjoy something I've been spoiled about. I got spoiled for The Force Awakens pretty hard. And fuck it, I'm putting this in spoiler tags, even though it's well outside the statute of limitations.

SPOILER:
Going into the film knowing Han dies colored how I experienced it. For the first half or so of the movie, the nostalgia I felt over seeing one of my childhood heroes again was definitely shaded by knowing this was that character's exit. And when the scene finally came around, the tension of, "Are they actually going to do this?!" was completely robbed. I knew they were going to do it. It was still an effective scene, but it was absolutely a different scene than it would have been if I'd gone in blind.

The experience of being surprised by a work of fiction, and the experience of consuming it while knowing what's going to happen next are very different. For the most part, I actually prefer the second experience. I like analyzing stuff, and thinking about how it fits together, and all of that. But if you do that first, you can't ever go back and have that first experience. Because of that spoiler I read, I could never have that experience with TFA - at least, not for the biggest surprise in the movie. I can still have the second experience, and still enjoy that... but I could have had both.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:16 PM

For context, I don't much care about being spoilered, but I take basic, obvious precautions to avoid them. Mainly, I don't open threads on shows or movies I haven't seen yet if I don't want to be spoiled. And sometimes I do read ahead because I don't care about spoilers for that particular project. (Like most comic book movies.)

All that to say I understand people who don't like spoilers, and I do NOT understand the perspective of guys like RealityChuck who seem to not actually understand something so self-evident. But for me personally, I don't really care about spoilers all that much.

If spoilers were a Kinsey scale, where 0 meant you were a spoiler fascist like most of the SDMB (it feels like, sometimes), and 6 means you're in bizarro RealityChuck world, I'd probably be around a 3 or 4.

But, the only reason I'm responding at all is because I couldn't let this pass:

Quote:
People don't read Shakespeare for the surprises, or Harry Potter, or Tolkien, either! You enjoy art for how it tells the story. What elements set the stage and scene.
Please, explain to me again how and why I enjoy art.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-08-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
It’s about timing. If the ending of Jaws is ruined at the water cooler, well, too bad. A trailer spoiling important parts of a movie that is just about to be released in the theaters. That sucks.
Timing and specificity. I'm still not convinced that commenting that a recent GoT episode was 'sad' is really a spoiler. That's exactly on par with saying that the recent episode was violent, or there were some boobs shown, or one of the characters looks like they need a bath. It doesn't give anything away about a series that's pretty grim overall.

Now if they'd have said that the upcoming episode was uplifting, or funny or something that is out of the ordinary, then maybe there might be a point to that, but even there, it's still extremely vague. For all you know, the person saying that might be some sort of Barney Stinson-esque character and be rooting for Euron Greyjoy and the Night King instead of the more classic characters.

But if they said "Euron gets killed by Jon Snow in the next episode", that's both timely and specific and would be a spoiler.

(disclosure- I haven't seen a GoT episode since the second episode of the fifth season, so beyond what's been spoiled for me already, I don't have any idea what's actually going on.)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I see this on the dope also, where you have to spoiler box anything an actor says in an interview, even in a thread for people who have already seen the episode
That probably was me. I said in another thread that:

SPOILER:
The actor that plays Bronn said in an interview something to the effect of "You're not going to like me this season."

That is so vague that I wouldn't have thought in a million years that would be considered a "spoiler."

Did it affect my viewing experience though? Well yes. Every time he comes on screen I expect something bad to happen. So I get it.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

That's the nice thing about sports. Live sporting events don't always have good twists and surprises, but when they do, nobody can spoil them ahead of time. (And the vast majority of people who watch them do so in real time, and expect to talk about them afterward, so nobody complains about spoilers.)
Old 05-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
That probably was me. I said in another thread that:
[spoilers]
Okay, I'm going to bitch about spoilers now. When you use a spoiler box, you need to give SOME indication of what the hell is inside it. How about "I said in another thread [about Movie X/TV show Y] regarding [general plot point that isn't a spoiler] that:" then you write out your spoiler box. Please?
Old 05-10-2019, 04:51 PM

Relevant musical selection.