Old 05-10-2019, 12:25 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
FCM...I think a few of us here will ship in (and pick out) the beers and I'll bring the pizza fixins. You do have a double stacked Bakers Pride stone floor pizza oven don't you?

All you have to do is set the date and make a few pitchers of lemonade, oh, and a BIG batch of Maryland crab cakes would be nice!!

Time and date?
You're quite the comedian, aren't you! I don't have a pizza oven, but I have a pizza stone. And crab cakes??? Um, we're a little LLC - the closest we can afford to crab cakes would be tuna salad with Old Bay in it!

I've got a smoker, so I'm thinking pulled pork and maybe smoked chicken wings. Or ribs. I dunno, the food part is easy for me.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Then again. I recently was offered a taste of a beer a local brewery planned to release soon. I told the brewer I liked it, and it reminded me of a beer I'd had before, one of Sweetwater's 420 line. He was gobsmacked. The beer was based on that beer.
Yeah, there may be some truth to beer snobbery, but it has to do with more extreme flavor profiles than subtle differences. Just about anyone can tell the difference between a Light beer and an IPA for example.

I remember a few weeks ago I was at Mercedes Benz Stadium (in Atlanta) and saw a beer tap for Elysian Space Dust IPA at a concession stand. I eagerly ordered it. Took a sip as I was walking away and realized instantly it was a lager - went back and the manager informed them that the Elysian Space Dust IPA had run out (they just hadn't taken the taps off yet) and gave me a refund.

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 05-10-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Then again. I recently was offered a taste of a beer a local brewery planned to release soon. I told the brewer I liked it, and it reminded me of a beer I'd had before, one of Sweetwater's 420 line. He was gobsmacked. The beer was based on that beer.
420 Strain Mango Kush ??

Just got a couple of Sweetwaters tee shirts ...free of course, I don't pay companies to advertise their products, no matter how much i enjoy them...OK, it cost me a custom built Pie, but I did not have to pay for that either.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
420 Strain Mango Kush ??

Just got a couple of Sweetwaters tee shirts ...free of course, I don't pay companies to advertise their products, no matter how much i enjoy them...OK, it cost me a custom built Pie, but I did not have to pay for that either.
I've had it, but the beer I was talking about is just the 420 extra pale ale.

I swear, you can taste the dank stickiness in the beer!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I've had it, but the beer I was talking about is just the 420 extra pale ale.

I swear, you can taste the dank stickiness in the beer!
I actually enjoy that beer quite a lot. My pot smoking days are behind me, but I'll always enjoy the smell - and that beer has plenty of scent memories wafting up from it. I ordered it at a bar the other day, and a couple a few seats away were trying to figure out who walked in with a pocket full of weed.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, there may be some truth to beer snobbery, but it has to do with more extreme flavor profiles than subtle differences. Just about anyone can tell the difference between a Light beer and an IPA for example.
True... I'd guess that absent some sort of particularly notable flavor, it's going to be kind of hard to distinguish products within a category that actually adhere to that category.

For example, I'd probably be hard pressed to tell which one was which between Modelo Especial, Corona or Dos Equis, if they were all equally fresh, and I was blindfolded. I'd be able to tell they weren't all the same, but I'd have no idea which was which.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:05 PM

I'd second the recommendation to have a couple of bottles each of white and red wine available. I know a lot of beer haters.

I've drunk a lot of cheap beer in my day (especially on camping trips), but I won't drink Bud Lite. Nasty.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Seriously don't get Bud lots of people won't drink it. I've always found Miller to be the compromise...
I think Yuengling would be the perfect compromise beer. I'm bummed that I live too far west to find it. It's light but... and here's the important part, it has flavor. That's what most 'Lite' beers lack (well, besides a g and an h).

I always get a hoppy IPA, a milder wheat beer, and a light(er) beer. If there are leftovers, it's pretty even (and, sorry, but you do want some bottles or cans left. If you're running low, some people* will cut back and not take a second beer.

*My wife is Asian, Norwegian, and Lutheran. She'd worry that she's using too much of your tap water and try to pace herself...
Old 05-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Sam Adams is a good quality beer that everyone seems to like.

It's fancy enough to keep the blue collar guys and the snobby "oh so refined" crowd happy.

Coors is good for the folks that like very mild tasting beer.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-10-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I think Yuengling would be the perfect compromise beer.
This would be a good compromise if you want to only buy one beer.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 PM

This thread is terrifying. To Trump and American “cheese” we may now add American “beer” to our case for “US Out of North America.”
Old 05-10-2019, 07:25 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Some years back, my mom and I took a bus trip that had been advertised as Port Wine Tasting. We got one taste of port, then they took us to a place for a beer tasting. I decided to be a good sport and try the samples, tho I made sure that I only got a small amount of each.

The "beer guide" talked about each one in turn before we tasted them, and honestly, every one of them was equally nasty to me. My mom enjoyed them - she likes trying different beers - but I'd have been just as happy sitting on the bus waiting for the rest of them to do their tasting.

And that's why I asked for help here. FWIW, one of my sisters was a bartender in a pub for 30+ years, and she suggested Yuengling. And I hadn't considered wine, but I like wine, so maybe a couple of bottles in the mix?

I truly appreciate all the suggestions and information. Now, to find the best place to buy it...
Old 05-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Get a box of rosé and consider the wine done.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:45 PM

Plans may have changed on what will I bring.

These are some of my best friends in the video , and their new collaboration.

https://youtu.be/1p5_LjVZ2oY

Enjoy... I just got a bottle of the whisky and a few 12packs of the beer... what a good day.

tsfr
Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I think I'd stay away from wits (Shock Top, Blue Moon). A lot of people like them, but a lot don't. Nobody *hates* a standard full-strength pilsner, unless they're the snootiest of beer snobs.
I do. Of course, I'm not really a beer drinker, and I'll be having the lemonade. But I really dislike most pilsner. I went to the Czech republic and was disappointed by the beer. Unlike Germany, where I generally enjoy the beer, the stuff they served me tasted like Budweiser. Nasty.

(My advice was based on what my co-workers order at the bar, when we go out together. It's split between people who care about beer and get something good, and people who order Bud light.)
Old 05-11-2019, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

You know of course that the original Budweiser was and is brewed in the Czech republic. It does not taste anything like Bud. Personally, I prefer Urkel to Budvar (both bottled and canned versions). Unfortunately, I've never been to the Czech Republic.

Yuengling has never made it to the west coast. Or I've never seen it and never had a chance to try it. n

Sam Adams is definitely a step up from the bud's of the world, but any decent micro brewery or brew pub should have better. I buy a mixed case once every year or two, and then remember why I haven't bought a case for a while. It's not terrible but there is a lot better out there.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:00 AM

The correct answer is: “Whatever is on sale.”
Old 05-11-2019, 06:09 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
The correct answer is: “Whatever is on sale.”
Mom? Is that you??
Old 05-11-2019, 06:24 AM

Fifteen or twenty years ago you would have been fine with Bud/Miller/Coors. Today, it seems like one out of every three people has become a beer snob like wine people used to be and won't drinking anything that doesn't cost more than a meal for a six pack and is made in the finest local brewery.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoting kropotkin:
This thread is terrifying. To Trump and American “cheese” we may now add American “beer” to our case for “US Out of North America.”
Endly Quoting

To be fair, the OP didn't ask: "What kind of beer should I serve you?"
It was more like: "What kind of beer should I serve a bunch of rendos?"
Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Today, it seems like one out of every three people has become a beer snob like wine people used to be and won't drinking anything that doesn't cost more than a meal for a six pack and is made in the finest local brewery.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I belong to a bottle club. Once every 6-8 weeks we all get together with each member bringing a bomber bottle to share with the group. We all try to impress each other. At the last get together I brought a $50 bottle of a very special imperial stout that I'd had cellared for four years. My offering was garbage compared to a friend's sour that he had purchased in Belgium last year, lovingly babying the bottle to bring it home intact.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
We're not anti-alcohol - just that no one in the household likes beer and I'm not going to set up a bar. I'd be OK with a bottle or 2 left over that I can use in recipes, but yeah, I know old beer is nasty beer. When we bought this house in 2004, the fridge in the garage had several cans of Coors light dated 1997. Couldn't give that stuff away!

A couple of the young guys who work with me like beer - they'll get the extras.
Pick up a pony keg and a few dozen plastic cups. That gives you about 55 12- ounce servings.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:32 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Just for giggles, I googled Pony Keg and looked at the map of my county. All that came up was Pam's Hallmark.

Regardless, a keg would be too much beer and no practical way to give away the leftovers. At least with bottles or cans, I can rehome the remains easily. My best guess, we'll have 20-30 people show up - and frankly, I think that's a generous estimate based on where we are and where most folks will be coming from. But who knows...
Old 05-11-2019, 10:55 AM

My "rendos" above should be "randos", as in random people. Oops.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Mom? Is that you??

[Vader]
Mom, I am your mother.
[/Vader]

No really, if you are just buying some beers for people whose preferences are unknown a little prudence leaves more budget for stuff you do care about.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I belong to a bottle club. Once every 6-8 weeks we all get together with each member bringing a bomber bottle to share with the group. We all try to impress each other. At the last get together I brought a $50 bottle of a very special imperial stout that I'd had cellared for four years. My offering was garbage compared to a friend's sour that he had purchased in Belgium last year, lovingly babying the bottle to bring it home intact.
And all that is fine at your bottle club. Where I have an issue is when I am at a social gathering drinking Bud Light and I see a guy making eye contact with me from across the room holding some weird IPA. I immediately know it is not a sexual thing, but by the end of our upcoming conversation, I will have wished it was.

Invariably, he will come over, start talking, and ask me if I have ever tried his wonderful beer, because really what I am drinking is Grade B piss water. And then I get to hear the history of beer brewing from antiquity up until last Tuesday with the conclusion being that what he is drinking is true to the brewing culture and what am drinking is an affront to God or whoever my deity is.

He has failed to notice that during our conversation I have backed up about 30 feet and made several excuses, even rudely interrupting at times, to no avail. I then stop by the store on the way home and buy a pallet of Bud Light just for revenge.

But I am sure you are not like that.

Last edited by UltraVires; 05-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
[Vader]
Mom, I am your mother.
[/Vader]

No really, if you are just buying some beers for people whose preferences are unknown a little prudence leaves more budget for stuff you do care about.
nit pick....the line is " No, I am your father"
Old 05-11-2019, 09:41 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Get something from a small, local brewer. Say, "I don't drink beer, but I've heard people saying this is good. I hope you like it."
Old 05-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A
Invariably, he will come over, start talking, and ask me if I have ever tried his wonderful beer, because really what I am drinking is Grade B piss water.
Does this really happen to you with any regularity? If so, you run into a lot of assholes. My friends and I like our craft beers here quite a bit, but I've never heard any of them try to proselytize to somebody drinking non-craft. Now, if one beer nerd spots another beer nerd drinking nerd beer, yeah, they may get to talking and comparing notes and shit like that. And I am known to drink Old Style with regularity, yet I've never experienced somebody starting shit with me about what kind of beer I'm drinking. Who does that?
Old 05-12-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Does this really happen to you with any regularity? If so, you run into a lot of assholes. My friends and I like our craft beers here quite a bit, but I've never heard any of them try to proselytize to somebody drinking non-craft. Now, if one beer nerd spots another beer nerd drinking nerd beer, yeah, they may get to talking and comparing notes and shit like that. And I am known to drink Old Style with regularity, yet I've never experienced somebody starting shit with me about what kind of beer I'm drinking. Who does that?
All the time. All the fucking time. I cringe when I see a guy with an IPA.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:50 AM

Missed the edit window:

He will invariably tell the (is this an old saying? I have heard it is old) joke about how the beer I am drinking is like making love in a canoe: It is fucking close to water!

Haha! Haha!!!! The first time I heard it, I did laugh. The 11th? Not so much.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:17 AM

so what did ya end up getting ?
Old 05-12-2019, 05:30 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Haven't gotten anything yet - we haven't set the date for the event since we're still working on finishing the new facility. I think we're looking at early June.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Where I have an issue is when I am at a social gathering drinking Bud Light and I see a guy making eye contact with me from across the room holding some weird IPA. I immediately know it is not a sexual thing, but by the end of our upcoming conversation, I will have wished it was.
Social gathering, huh.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:35 AM

Huh. I like IPAs, but I also know that I don't know shit about beer. I just like hops more than I like most beers.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 AM

Haven't read through all the replys, but the gist is this : in America, Budweiser. In Europe, Heineken. Neither of them tastes like anything, so you're safe from "Oh god, what is this shit ?!".

OTOH, both are known for not tasting like anything, so you'll get teased mercilessly - expect the old "love in a canoe" joke. But that's fine - it's just a segue into what kind of beer they do like. For next time.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Haven't read through all the replys, but the gist is this : in America, Budweiser. In Europe, Heineken. Neither of them tastes like anything, so you're safe from "Oh god, what is this shit ?!".
Not with Bud Light you're not.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Missed the edit window:

He will invariably tell the (is this an old saying? I have heard it is old) joke about how the beer I am drinking is like making love in a canoe: It is fucking close to water!

Haha! Haha!!!! The first time I heard it, I did laugh. The 11th? Not so much.
Yeah, lots of assholes at the parties you go to. I think the only time I've ever heard that joke told in somewhat earnest was in England in the 90s/early 00s, before American craft beer started to gain an international reputation.

Around here, there's nothing particularly exceptional about somebody drinking an IPA. It's a mainstream beer, and even a lot of beer snobs don't enjoy IPAs and/or enjoy a "lawnmower beer" from time to time.

Oddly, the only times I can remember somebody commenting on my drinking choices is when I drink a Guinness. Not super common, but I've had at least three or four people at various bars ask me if I actually enjoy Guinness or how could I drink that heavy dark stuff? Which I find totally baffling, as it's not really a heavy beer at all (and less alcohol and fewer calories than most non-lite beers), and it's totally a proletarian non-snob sort of beer.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Invariably, he will come over, start talking, and ask me if I have ever tried his wonderful beer, because really what I am drinking is Grade B piss water.
Dunno, man. I don't know you but I feel pretty confident in asserting that I drink more than you do. And I've never been approached by a stranger for a lecture about my inferior Miller Lite or PBR. Sure, I'll take the piss from someone I know but it's just good natured ballbusting before we knock back a couple Malorts.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I do. Of course, I'm not really a beer drinker, and I'll be having the lemonade. But I really dislike most pilsner. I went to the Czech republic and was disappointed by the beer. Unlike Germany, where I generally enjoy the beer, the stuff they served me tasted like Budweiser. Nasty.

(My advice was based on what my co-workers order at the bar, when we go out together. It's split between people who care about beer and get something good, and people who order Bud light.)
What were you drinking in Germany? Dunkels or wheat beers of some sort? The rest are basically variants on pilsners.

And they must have given you crap beers; Czech pilsners are like US light lagers in the same way that a AVPN certified Neapolitan pizza is like a Totino's frozen pizza.

And I'll say it again... the best bet for a party where you're not sure what people like is to go with something like a standard US pilsner- nobody generally hates them, except for beer snobs, and you're unlikely to satisfy them without asking them. I mean, one guy may like Imperial IPAs, another may like sour beers, and a third might be totally into oak aged stouts. And they're also likely to bitch about the serving vessels, or any number of other idiotic things.

(and I say this as someone who's probably tried at least as many kinds and styles of beers as your average beer snob, but chooses not to be snooty about it, and often drinks Bud, PBR or Lone Star because it's cheap and inoffensive)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 AM

Maybe I had crap beer in the Czech republic. Actually, I went back this summer, and had okay beer, although I didn't love it.

In Germany I often order what's cheap, or what the person I'm eating with is having, or something dark. Um, I really don't know much about beer, but I do pick something other than pilsner if I can read the menu well enough to do so.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Maybe I had crap beer in the Czech republic. Actually, I went back this summer, and had okay beer, although I didn't love it.

In Germany I often order what's cheap, or what the person I'm eating with is having, or something dark. Um, I really don't know much about beer, but I do pick something other than pilsner if I can read the menu well enough to do so.
The beer in that part of Europe is a lot like the food- the same, with minor variations. I mean, you can get dunkels in the Czech Republic (I recall Velkopopovický Kozel dark being quite good), and their pilsners are the real deal- Pilsner Urquell/Plzeňský Prazdroj (the first pilsner), Staropramen(a Prague local pilsner) and Budejovicky Budvar (the original Budweiser) are all good examples of Czech pilsners.

German pilsners are somewhat different- hoppier and drier than the Czech ones, which at least when they're fresh, have a whole lot of maltiness offsetting their hops. But they're really popular as well- 'Pils' is apparently the most popular style of beer there.

While I don't doubt there are likely crap beers in the Czech Republic, just as there are in Belgium (Jupiler is not great, for example), the average Czech pilsner is pretty solid for that style.

Last edited by bump; 05-13-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:10 AM

Krusovice Cerne seems to be the most popular dark Czech lager around, with a mild finish and to me does not set overly filling.

One thing many people don't realize is that Czech pilsners are (by European standards) fairly mild, usually under 5% ABV (Pilsner Urquell is just 4.7%) which compared to other styles is not particularly strong.

Here in Krakow, Polish piwo (pivo is the Czech word for beer, but both are pronounced the same) is always at least 5.5%, with many mainstream pils and lagers coming in at 6%, yet surprisingly without a dicernable alcohol finish.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 AM

Kozel (it means "Goat") is another mainstream Czech pivo that is popular throughout Europe, but they have begun contracting it out, so if you get a bottle in Stuttgart it was actually brewed somewhere in Germany, and a liter in Krakow was brewed in some Polish city. (Staropramen is doing the same)

Kind of ruins it for me somehow....
Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Buncha lousy beer snobs!

*consoles self with cold Bud Light
I don't drink that much beer, so when I do, I want it to actually taste good.

Stella Artois is good but accessible to most beer-drinkers' tastes. That would be my recommendation. If that's your choice, FCM, and you have any left over after the party, PM me, and I'll cheerfully take it off your hands.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 05-13-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I don't drink that much beer, so when I do, I want it to actually taste good.

Stella Artois is good but accessible to most beer-drinkers' tastes. That would be my recommendation. If that's your choice, FCM, and you have any left over after the party, PM me, and I'll cheerfully take it off your hands.
Stella Artois would be a good choice, although probably a tad more expensive than what you're looking to spend I'm guessing.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
Krusovice Cerne seems to be the most popular dark Czech lager around, with a mild finish and to me does not set overly filling.

One thing many people don't realize is that Czech pilsners are (by European standards) fairly mild, usually under 5% ABV (Pilsner Urquell is just 4.7%) which compared to other styles is not particularly strong.
Yeah, I remember people telling me about how strong Czech beers were, but when I got to that part of the world and living (almost) next door in Hungary, I was surprised when I drank them and they didn't seem any stronger than the usual beer. I think perhaps what folks may have gotten confused by is that there is a "degrees" number on Czech beers, which has something to do with the Balling scale, but not ABV. So when they see 10.3º or whatever on a beer, they assume it means 10.3% ABV or something like that. At any rate, that's the only sense I could make of it.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, I remember people telling me about how strong Czech beers were, but when I got to that part of the world and living (almost) next door in Hungary, I was surprised when I drank them and they didn't seem any stronger than the usual beer. I think perhaps what folks may have gotten confused by is that there is a "degrees" number on Czech beers, which has something to do with the Balling scale, but not ABV. So when they see 10.3º or whatever on a beer, they assume it means 10.3% ABV or something like that. At any rate, that's the only sense I could make of it.
Home brewer chiming in. I think you are referencing "plato". Degrees Plato (°P) is used to quantify the concentration of extract (mainly sugars derived from malt but also including other soluble material in wort) as a percentage by weight. A 10°P wort will contain 10 g of extract per 100 g of wort.

Rough rule of thumb is 1°P = .4% ABV. 8°P is a 3.2 beer and a 12°P is 5%. Most of the Czech beers are in the 8-12°P range.

Brix I believe is used more in winemaking, but I don't know jack about winemaking.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Home brewer chiming in. I think you are referencing "plato". Degrees Plato (°P) is used to quantify the concentration of extract (mainly sugars derived from malt but also including other soluble material in wort) as a percentage by weight. A 10°P wort will contain 10 g of extract per 100 g of wort.

Rough rule of thumb is 1°P = .4% ABV. 8°P is a 3.2 beer and a 12°P is 5%. Most of the Czech beers are in the 8-12°P range.

Brix I believe is used more in winemaking, but I don't know jack about winemaking.
I'm familiar with the Plato scale and its purpose (being a homebrewer myself--though it's been about five years), but when I've read about Czech beers, I've seen Balling used instead (perhaps because he was Bohemian?) Looking it up, it seems those two and brix are essentially the same.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-15-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 AM

One more thing, I am sure that this isn't news to hardcore beer geeks, but many European dark beers are actually lower in alcohol than the lighter (in color) styles like pils or lager.

It might seem counter-intuitive (Maybe because dark beer "looks" stronger? Maybe many English or American ales or stouts that are also dark in color ARE high in alcohol?) but sometimes the dark beers here are pretty mild, by comparison.

The Czech Budweiser Budvar Dark Lager is 4.7%, while the original is 5.0%.