Old 05-10-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Plain old Hershey bar. No comparison.
Something something bizarro world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Kit Kats are good, but I'm not certain that I would rate them above Twix.

On the other hand, Kit Kats have a wide variety of weird and exotic flavors that you'd have a hard time finding on any other candy bar. I don't think I've ever even seen a dark Twix. So yeah, that might tip them over the top.
White chocolate Twix is a (tragically rare) thing here, and they're freakin' delicious.

That said, if we're going for commercial candy bars, I can't help my huge soft spot for Snickers and Mounds. It's the nuts, really.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:29 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I'm sorry but it is just how the universe works, as scientifically determined by the one I just ate.

Did you eat the American version or the foreign version? If the foreign version, which flavor or flavor combination.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:20 AM

I like Kit Kat, but I prefer a Baby Ruth.

Third choice is Snickers.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only Heath(en) around.
You have unlocked the Stone of Skor achievement.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoying Buzz View Post
That flavor is good, but my favorite was the Yuzu-Kosho: citrus and black pepper with dark chocolate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip-68 View Post
Japan truly has elevated the Kit Kat to the next level - the raspberry flavour was my favourite.

would much prefer Drift tho - Kit Kat plus caramel
Those sound awesome. I am not a huge KitKat fan, but i wish I had explored them when I was in Japan.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:41 AM

I don't know if I have a favorite candy bar, but Kit Kat and Twix would be in the top tier. Dark Chocolate or ice cream Milky Way too. A really good chocolate bar (dark or milk can both be fantastic) would be up there too, but I kinda consider plain chocolate to be a separate thing than a candy bar.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Something something bizarro world

White chocolate Twix is a (tragically rare) thing here, and they're freakin' delicious.

That said, if we're going for commercial candy bars, I can't help my huge soft spot for Snickers and Mounds. It's the nuts, really.
If you mean the LACK of nuts in Mounds, then yeah.

Handy reminder of the difference between Mounds and Almond Joy
Old 05-10-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
No wonder I couldn't google it. I kept reading "Health" not "Heath."
EWWWW! That would be carob-enrobed granola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
You have unlocked the Stone of Skor achievement.
Skors score higher than Heath for me.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Skors score higher than Heath for me.
Skor is Hershey, Heath is somebody else, right? I would choose the one that lacks Hershey chocolate, which sucks.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 05-10-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 AM

I like Hershey chocolate because I like the sour milk taste. European chocolate is a bit bland.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Skor is Hershey, Heath is somebody else, right? I would choose the one that lacks Hershey chocolate, which sucks.
Nope, they are both Hershey products (at least as of 1996). I prefer Skor of the two, but they both satisfy that chocolate and buttery almond toffee craving.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Kit Kat's are good, Twix are good, toffee bars covered in chocolate totally fucking rock... but I'm a little surprised at the lack of love for 3 Musketeers and Butterfingers.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I like Hershey chocolate because I like the sour milk taste. European chocolate is a bit bland.
Only their milk chocolate has that sour milk flavor to it. I've mentioned this before, and it's a bit odd. I had never in my life noticed the sour twang to Hershey's milk chocolate. Then I spent something like five and a half years abroad. One day, a few months after coming back home, I had a Hershey milk chocolate and tasted this weird, acidic taste in it. I thought I had gotten a bad bar or something. It literally tasted faintly of vomit. I googled "Hershey vomit" and realized, I was not the only one who tasted this, and that it was the butyric acid from Hershey's milk chocolate making process, which incorporates soured milk into it. I picked up on that vomit note for a few more months and, now, I can't taste it anymore. You get acclimated to these flavors. But that was the first time I understood when folks from outside the US had very strong opinions on Hershey's chocolate and how it tasted vile and like puke to them, they were not exaggerating. There is a component of that flavor in there.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM

No love for Zero bars?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Among candy bars:

1- Milky Way
2- Twix
3- Kit Kat
4- Nestle's Crunch
5- Butterfinger

However, all of these pale in comparison to the world's finest candy: Robin Egg Whoppers
Old 05-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
No love for Zero bars?
That's funny-I just asked my workmate what the best candy bar in the world is, and she replied "A Zero bar, of course!"
Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Milky Way Midnight is better than anything mentioned so far. I don't bring them into my house very often as I have no resistance.
Yeah, you're right. Midnight's even better than a Chunky. It just doesn't last as long.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Did you eat the American version or the foreign version? If the foreign version, which flavor or flavor combination.
In this case it was the American Dark Chocolate version.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Nope, they are both Hershey products (at least as of 1996). I prefer Skor of the two, but they both satisfy that chocolate and buttery almond toffee craving.
Dumb question: why does Hershey produce two versions of the same product?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dumb question: why does Hershey produce two versions of the same product?
I wouldn't know. I assume they just wanted to buy out their competitor in 1996, and just left the brand name so the Skor folk would buy Skor, and the Heath folk would continue buying Heath, instead of consolidating the products (which are not exactly the same, but pretty similar), under one product.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Those sound awesome. I am not a huge KitKat fan, but i wish I had explored them when I was in Japan.
When we were in Japan in December, we tried to collect one package of each different flavor of KitKat we could find. I think we ended up with around a dozen flavors, and Im sure we could have found more if we looked harder.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Oh, Three Musketeers is fine. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the caramel of a Milky Way nor the peanuts of a Snickers. But there's nothing there to put it in contention for the Best Ever.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Kit Kat is way, way, way, way down on my list of favorite candy bars. It's bland. Not chocolatey enough. Kind of chemical/plastic aftertaste. The chocolate coating has a weird, waxy texture

My top candy bars --

Milky Way Midnight, Skor, Heath, Zero, Mounds, Whatchamacallit, Three Musketeers
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)

Last edited by Acsenray; 05-10-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:08 PM

Gimme a break, Snickers is the best because it has the bestest commercial in history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmgice3ieZ4

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 05-10-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
When we were in Japan in December, we tried to collect one package of each different flavor of KitKat we could find. I think we ended up with around a dozen flavors, and Im sure we could have found more if we looked harder.
Wow that's more than I am aware of. I know about the dark chocolate/cayenne pepper, white chocolate wasabi, white chocolate green tea. What others did you find?

I actually don't like American Kit Kats because of whatever Hershey did to their chocolate recipe about 10 years ago. All Hershey chocolate tastes like sugary vaseline to me now. But whatever they're doing in Japan is good.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:10 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

For those who don't know, Kit Kat is produced by Nestl globally, but by Hershey in the U.S.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Kit Kat is way, way, way, way down on my list of favorite candy bars. It's bland. Not chocolatey enough. Kind of chemical/plastic aftertaste. The chocolate coating has a weird, waxy texture
Agree. Though in high school they put some in the apple machine, so they were cold, and for some reason I liked them better that way. I wouldn't go out of my way for a Kit Kat, though those unusual flavored ones sound cool. Are they available at all outside Japan?

For commercial brands, my favorite is Snickers, but my all time favorite is See's Awesome Bar (chocolate covered peanut brittle). I like peanuts.

The spoiled milk taste of Hershey's is awful. I won't eat it.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:21 PM

Almost forgot to mention goo goo clusters. Chocolate coated and filled with caramel and marshmallow.

There's a place in Nashville that makes them fresh by hand. (the actual factory is also in Nashville)

https://youtu.be/liQkty5Hj8w
Old 05-10-2019, 04:22 PM

Kit Kat bars are pretty damn good. If I can't pick Reese's PB Cups, I might choose them. Or Hershey's with almonds. I grew up on the sour milk taste, so I like it.

Also, reading this thread made me realize that I have never had a Mars, Milky Way, or Three Musketeers bar in my life. I hope that doesn't make me a tragic figure.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
actually, Hershey makes both

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_bar
Old 05-10-2019, 04:34 PM

Mr. Goodbar, which is a Hershey bar with peanuts
Old 05-10-2019, 04:34 PM

Zagnut.

Not because I like them or that they're even available where I live or could ever become a serious rival to the myriad varieties of Kit Kats in the endlessly rich kitto katsu subculture.

I just like saying Zagnut.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
Also, reading this thread made me realize that I have never had a Mars, Milky Way, or Three Musketeers bar in my life. I hope that doesn't make me a tragic figure.
To my reckoning, you're not missing much w/r/t Milky Way or Three Musketeers. Seems like all sugar, not enough chocolate, not enough non-chocolate things that aren't sugar.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:45 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Gimme a Zero Bar and I'm happy. Candy bars aren't really a fave, so I like the weird ones like Zero.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
When I was in Japan I was able to get wasabi white chocolate Kit Kats as well as cayenne chocolate Kit Kats.

I suggest that until you have had those, you are not granted passage through the kept gates of True Kit Kat Lover.
I, for sure, thought the wasabi was an error, and you were thinking of green tea/matcha or something. But, no, it really is wasabi Kit Kat. I want some. Now. I mean, I want some matcha Kit Kats, too, but I just love this idea of wasabi/horseradish and white chocolate.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I'm a sucker for Whatchamacallits.
Finally, someone restores some sanity to this thread.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Agree. Though in high school they put some in the apple machine, so they were cold, and for some reason I liked them better that way. I wouldn't go out of my way for a Kit Kat, though those unusual flavored ones sound cool. Are they available at all outside Japan?

For commercial brands, my favorite is Snickers, but my all time favorite is See's Awesome Bar (chocolate covered peanut brittle). I like peanuts.

The spoiled milk taste of Hershey's is awful. I won't eat it.
Yes, Hersheys regular chocolate is disgusting
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 PM

Looking at this thread, I can only come to one conclusion; I love almost all of them.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I, for sure, thought the wasabi was an error, and you were thinking of green tea/matcha or something. But, no, it really is wasabi Kit Kat. I want some. Now. I mean, I want some matcha Kit Kats, too, but I just love this idea of wasabi/horseradish and white chocolate.
I felt the same when I first encountered it, like it's got to be bullshit, but it totally works. Happy to pass some along but I won't be back in Japan for at least a year.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:58 PM

I did have wasabi ice cream in Japan. That was weird.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Yes, Hersheys regular chocolate is disgusting
It's an acquired taste
Old 05-11-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Rough Draft, have you ever had a Snickers? Milky Way is like Snickers without the peanuts, and Three Musketeers is like Milky Way without the strip of caramel (i.e., just whatever the heck that "nougat" stuff is, covered in chocolate).
Old 05-11-2019, 07:57 AM

Limiting myself to traditional candy bars to get away from the Reeses cup debate...

Of the major "traditional" varieties, Snickers all the way with Twix in second place.

As for the more obscure and regional varieties, are there any Salted Nut Roll fans in the thread?
Old 05-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
It's an acquired taste
I lived in the US for 2 yrs and I tried so very hard to like American chocolate but i just couldn’t get the taste for it. I had my grandparents send over care packages of British chocolate and Marmite.

Last edited by Teddie; 05-11-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Missed word
Old 05-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Well, better than that Turkish Delight or Cherry Blossom crappy crap.

No love for that old school Pep Chew?
Old 05-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow that's more than I am aware of. I know about the dark chocolate/cayenne pepper, white chocolate wasabi, white chocolate green tea. What others did you find?

I actually don't like American Kit Kats because of whatever Hershey did to their chocolate recipe about 10 years ago. All Hershey chocolate tastes like sugary vaseline to me now. But whatever they're doing in Japan is good.
Not sure I can remember them all, but some were: White Peach, Tokyo Banana, Orange, Roasted Tea, Strawberry Cheesecake, Tiramisu, Sweet Potato.

The White Peach was the best. It was really delicious.

Last edited by suranyi; 05-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Kit Kats come up a lot at a Japanese culture site I read. It looks like there are 30 varieties available here and 35 were available in this Kit Kat kit. (There have been more than 350 variations sold in Japan.) That kit doesn't include things like the fancy handmade Kit Kat, the birthstone Kit Kats, or the cough drop Kit Kats.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:41 PM

Kit Kats were made until very recently just a few hundred yards from my house, and lots of locals worked there at one time or another. Anyone who lives in my town knows someone who worked there.

When Nestle took over Rowntrees (or Mackies* as we used to call it) they didn't make too many changes at first.

*[aka Rowntree-Mackintosh]

After a good few years, the quality of the rice in the Toffee crisps declined - and you can tell the difference, not as light and crunchy and more stodgy. The rice is somewhat cheaper.

As for the chocolate part for all the products made in Mackies, Nestle reduced the cocoa solids considerably and increased the amount of sugar and again its noticeable - to the extent that sales have declined enough for Nestle to do something about it. Result is that you may have noted Kit Kats being advertised as being 'more choclety than ever' which is code for they reverted to the original recipe.

Now you might think I am all conspiracy theory stuff, but not so

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...tle-sugar-size

https://www.confectionerynews.com/Ar...reduction-push

So in summary, Kit Kats are nowadays improved and taste better than they did say five years ago - but that is still a little bit short of what they were before Nestle took over Rowntrees and degraded the quality in the name of profit and screwing over consumers.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
There is no such thing as a bad candy bar, but Cadbury Dairy Milk Fruit and Nut bar is really yummy.

I can easily eat the whole thing in one sitting.
Agreed. I recently discovered it comes in a dark chocolate version and my life is now complete.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Bounty! And I will show myself out, thank you!
You can bring me with you. YUM.