Old 05-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Movies that are ruined by actors from other vehicles

I was just trying to watch (out of boredom) John Carter on Netflix. Within the first 20 minutes, I saw Jimmy McNulty (The Wire), Mr. White (Breaking Bad), Julius Caesar and Marc Antony (Rome). These were signature roles for these actors and series that were well-loved by me. No matter how hard I try, I can't see these guys living on Mars in what appears to be a really mediocre movie, and spouting the silliest dialog.

What movies have been ruined for you in this manner?
Old 05-09-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Not ruined, but certainly distracting: I recently watched the first MCU Captain America movie, and for the entire first half, every time Hugo Weaving was on screen all I could think was "this isn't a flashback to World War 2 - Captain America is trapped in the matrix with Agent Smith". I found his Red Skull getup in the second part of the film required less suspension of belief.

Last edited by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness; 05-09-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock is not, IMHO, the best of the Star Trek movies (though certainly not the worst, either); but one minor issue I have always had with it is seeing Christopher Lloyd as a wily and dangerous Klingon, and NOT seeing him as Jim Ignatowski. Always makes me wonder how you say "What... does... a... yellow... light... mean?" in Klingon.

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 05-09-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
Not ruined, but certainly distracting: I recently watched the first MCU Captain America movie, and for the entire first half, every time Hugo Weaving was on screen all I could think was "this isn't a flashback to World War 2 - Captain America is trapped in the matrix with Agent Smith". I found his Red Skull getup in the second part of the film required less suspension of belief.
Or Hugo Weaving in the Fellowship of the Ring.

"Hobbits are a virus, Mr. Baggins"
Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 PM

that happens to me in animated series all the time ....like i can always pick out greg cipes voice in any cartoon and say "beast boy "!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 PM

Everytime I see Yoda in Star Wars I start think "are any other Muppets going to show up?".
Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Everytime I see Yoda in Star Wars I start think "are any other Muppets going to show up?".
They totally should have done a crossover with the land of Gorch. The Mighty Favog could have been Yoda, and Scred would have been a lot better than Jar-Jar Binks.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 PM

Shall we mention the appearance of Ed Sheeran in Game of Thrones? An appearance so hated that they even wrote a horrible death for the character in the next season even though he wasn't onscreen again after his one scene.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I seriously cannot hear Yoda without thinking of Fozzie Bear.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 PM

When John DeLanice showed up on Breaking Bad, I had a hard time seeing past that previous role of his.

SPOILER:
When he entered Jane's house after she had died, and walked around in a daze, I said to my wife, "can't he just snap his fingers and bring her back to life?"
Old 05-09-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I was just trying to watch (out of boredom) John Carter on Netflix. Within the first 20 minutes, I saw Jimmy McNulty (The Wire), Mr. White (Breaking Bad), Julius Caesar and Marc Antony (Rome). These were signature roles for these actors and series that were well-loved by me.
Don't forget Polly Walker, who played Atia of the Julii. I still hear the distant wailing of her enemies sometimes...
Atia of the Julii, I call for justice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Shall we mention the appearance of Ed Sheeran in Game of Thrones? An appearance so hated that they even wrote a horrible death for the character in the next season even though he wasn't onscreen again after his one scene.
Worse, they let him live but horribly disfigured.
"Did you hear he came back with no eyelids?"
"How do you sleep with no eyelids?"

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-09-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I seriously cannot hear Yoda without thinking of Fozzie Bear.
Some little kid sitting close to me in the theater said Mom, he sounds like Fozzie!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Not me. I love trying to spot actors from other roles. I think it's a shame when people can't see past a character an actor has played in the past, preventing the actor from doing something new and earning a living. The saddest stories are those of actors losing parts because casting directors can't see past their previous roles. It's driven some to suicide. My wife is an anglophile, so I pretty much have to watch a lot of British shows. It's so different there. They have, like, twenty actors and they play anything and everything. Rowan Atkinson can play a role as iconic as Mr Bean and then play a detective in a murder mystery series.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
I saw Jimmy McNulty (The Wire),
I'm not usually too bothered by seeing familiar faces in other shows, but it took me several seasons to stop thinking of Littlefinger on Game of Thrones as being the mayor of Baltimore on The Wire.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
[...]British shows. It's so different there. They have, like, twenty actors and they play anything and everything.
I keep reading and re-reading this but I can't parse it in a way that sounds good, and I think you meant it as an example of a good thing. But to me it sounds completely awful.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
Always makes me wonder how you say "What... does... a... yellow... light... mean?" in Klingon.
nuq jatlh wIy SuD?
Old 05-10-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Some little kid sitting close to me in the theater said Mom, he sounds like Fozzie!
Seeing Empire Strikes Back for the first time, I literally said "It's Grover!"
Old 05-10-2019, 12:25 AM

Fozzie? I always thought Yoda sounded closest to Grover.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:36 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Fozzie? I always thought Yoda sounded closest to Grover.
Another vote, here, for hearing Grover in Yoda's voice, moreso than Fozzie.

My other two nominees have already been mentioned: Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon in Star Trek III, and Hugo Weaving as Elrond in The Lord of the Rings.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I was just trying to watch (out of boredom) John Carter on Netflix. Within the first 20 minutes, I saw Jimmy McNulty (The Wire), Mr. White (Breaking Bad), Julius Caesar and Marc Antony (Rome). These were signature roles for these actors and series that were well-loved by me. No matter how hard I try, I can't see these guys living on Mars in what appears to be a really mediocre movie, and spouting the silliest dialog.

What movies have been ruined for you in this manner?
Are you sure their appearances is what ruined that movie? And not, you know, the terrible writing/premise?

But yeah, I see your point. Netflix had some old wwII news reel movies fairly recently all by John Huston and all I could think of is Gandalf. Gandalf talking about the horrors of the holocaust.

(And yes, I know he did those movies long before The Hobbit. But I had seen The Hobbit hundreds of times long before I even knew what WWII was)

Last edited by snfaulkner; 05-10-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
Always makes me wonder how you say "What... does... a... yellow... light... mean?" in Klingon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
nuq jatlh wIy SuD?
QIt ghoS.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I keep reading and re-reading this but I can't parse it in a way that sounds good, and I think you meant it as an example of a good thing. But to me it sounds completely awful.
It means you might see the same actor playing a villain (or IS he?) in a Mystery drama, then a suitor in a Jane Austin style period piece, then in a comedy, then in Doctor Who. The actors have enough range to play them all. They've even invaded American TV and movies. I'd much rather enjoy watching a show and see an actor I liked from another show practicing his craft on something different over being bothered because he was in something else.

Unless your issue is the 20 actors. I am exaggerating but the same handful of actors do seem to turn up in a lot of things. Jim Broadbent, Judi Dench, and so on.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post

"Mr. Baggins...it seems you have been living two lives. In one life, you are a respectable hobbit, living in a...respectable hobbit hole. In the other life, you are the bearer of the...One Ring. One of those lives has a future...and one of them does not."
Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
nuq jatlh wIy SuD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
QIt ghoS.
ghewmey SuqQo'!
Old 05-10-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Unless your issue is the 20 actors. I am exaggerating but the same handful of actors do seem to turn up in a lot of things. Jim Broadbent, Judi Dench, and so on.
Yes, it was just the "20 actors" part, and fair enough. Your explanation makes sense.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

The only time this has affected me was when I was watching a movie that I can't remember the name to; one of the actors was being played by that guy who hosted "Unsolved Mysteries".

I just couldn't get past it.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post

Actually, I go the other way on this one... Agent Smith spitting out, "Mr. Aragorn" to Keanu Reeves.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 AM

OK, Elijah Wood. I saw The Good Son way before LOTR, and I thought he did a good job playing off Macaulay Culkin (who reprised Kevin, only a little darker). Then I saw LOTR and then the Wilfred and Dirk Gently shows. It was hard not seeing Frodo all the time--even when I went back and watched Good Son--little microFrodo. I managed to separate Elijah from Frodo eventually. But I had to realize he really was, like Harrison Ford, Sean Bean, and Woody Allen, playing the same character all the time (Wood = whinging, meek, neurotic--and occasionally manic). Now I just see Elijah and not the movie characters.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:09 AM

I don't have that problem with movies, but I did find it distracting in Deadwood when Jack McCall grew out his beard and came back with a different name. Garret Dillahunt is recognizable enough that I think it was kind of a mistake to use him for two different roles just six episodes apart.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM

OJ Simpson in Naked Gun. Regardless his later baggage, he never could act.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 AM

After a recommendation from The Dope I started watching the British show Misfits. As soon as Iwan Rheon popped up on screen I started yelling irrationally "he's going to kill you and hunt you and feed you to his dogs and send your severed penis to your sister...damnit, just run!"

All the credit in the world to Iwan for doing a damn fine job of bringing the character to life but it's just too soon for Ramsay Bolton.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So you think they shouldn't be used because they're very good actors capable of multiple roles? How dare they!

It doesn't bother me in the slightest if I recognize someone from another role. I say, "Oh, that's a familiar face," and then sit back to watch their performance. Their earlier roles have no bearing on how I will enjoy the film.

"Oh, David Tennant is playing Hamlet. Let's see how he handles the role."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 05-10-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I hear his defense team wanted to introduce Capricorn One into evidence as proof that when their client asserted his innocence, he was not acting.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:37 PM

Identifying faces from past roles is part of the fun of watching movies and tv shows. But I guess an occasional George Reeves in From Here to Eternity could be disruptive.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
But I guess an occasional George Reeves in From Here to Eternity could be disruptive.
I was very excited to see Gone with the Wind for the first time as a child because he's one of the first faces you see on screen. Alas, I learned, 5 minutes later, you've pretty much seen the last of him.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:51 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I managed to separate Elijah from Frodo eventually. But I had to realize he really was, like Harrison Ford, Sean Bean, and Woody Allen, playing the same character all the time (Wood = whinging, meek, neurotic--and occasionally manic). Now I just see Elijah and not the movie characters.
The role of his I found most distracting was when he played the cannibalistic martial-arts expert Kevin in Sin City. Decidedly a different character.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:58 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Identifying faces from past roles is part of the fun of watching movies and tv shows. But I guess an occasional George Reeves in From Here to Eternity could be disruptive.
I recently re-watched Them!, the 1950s giant-ant movie, and was amused to find that the team combating them included Harry Truman (James Whitmore), Marshall Dillon (James Arness), and Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn).
Old 05-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I recently re-watched Them!, the 1950s giant-ant movie, and was amused to find that the team combating them included Harry Truman (James Whitmore), Marshall Dillon (James Arness), and Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn).
Spock and Davy Crockett were involved, too, as were Martin Lane, Mel Cooley, and Darrin Stephens.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 05-10-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:51 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Spock and Davy Crockett were involved, too, as were Martin Lane, Mel Cooley, and Darrin Stephens.
I was looking for Davy Crockett while watching the movie, but was a bit disappointed since he doesn't show up until late, and I caught Cooley. The others I missed (they are all listed as uncredited on iMDB.)

Last edited by Colibri; 05-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:16 PM

Here is one that switched on me.

When I first started watching The Walking Dead, it took me a long time to stop thinking "holy shit, Murphy turned into a redneck!" every time Norman Reedus spoke.
Now when I go back and watch Boondock Saints I am thinking "holy shit, Darryl turned Irish!"
Old 05-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I was very excited to see Gone with the Wind for the first time as a child because he's one of the first faces you see on screen. Alas, I learned, 5 minutes later, you've pretty much seen the last of him.
This knowledge had completely escaped me. Now I have to go watch the first couple of minutes (it's not one of my all time favorite movies but, still -- a Superman cameo!).
Old 05-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
The only time this has affected me was when I was watching a movie that I can't remember the name to; one of the actors was being played by that guy who hosted "Unsolved Mysteries".

I just couldn't get past it.
If you mean Robert Stack, he'll always be Elliot Ness to me.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
If you mean Robert Stack, he'll always be Elliot Ness to me.
Doctor Ellison.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
This knowledge had completely escaped me. Now I have to go watch the first couple of minutes (it's not one of my all time favorite movies but, still -- a Superman cameo!).
“Woaw, Woaw, WOAW!”
Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

It’s not ruined for me but every actor in Band of Brothers is always going to be primarily associated with that no matter what else they pop up in. With the exception of David Schwimmer because he will always be Ross.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Speaking of Naked Gun, it's really hard watching Leslie Nielsen in his earlier more dramatic roles after watching his later comedic work. Most notably in the sci fi classic The Forbidden Planet.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It’s not ruined for me but every actor in Band of Brothers is always going to be primarily associated with that no matter what else they pop up in. With the exception of David Schwimmer because he will always be Ross.
I've pretty much gotten past that one. Also, I don't normally have any problem with British or American actors cropping up all the time. But John Carter is so awful that I almost have to feel sorry for these Shakespearean caliber actors being stuck in a dreadful movie. It's just. . .jarring.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Naked Gun, it's really hard watching Leslie Nielsen in his earlier more dramatic roles after watching his later comedic work. Most notably in the sci fi classic The Forbidden Planet.
Yeah.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Surely you can't be serious.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 PM

Another "not ruined but distracting" answer: Cobie Smulders in the MCU. I just can't not see Robin from How I Met Your Mother. And Robin isn't believable as a Shield agent. Hopefully she's not in the new Spider-man for too long.