Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,608

Movies that are ruined by actors from other vehicles


I was just trying to watch (out of boredom) John Carter on Netflix. Within the first 20 minutes, I saw Jimmy McNulty (The Wire), Mr. White (Breaking Bad), Julius Caesar and Marc Antony (Rome). These were signature roles for these actors and series that were well-loved by me. No matter how hard I try, I can't see these guys living on Mars in what appears to be a really mediocre movie, and spouting the silliest dialog.

What movies have been ruined for you in this manner?
  #2  
Old 05-09-2019, 06:00 PM
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness's Avatar
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hollywood Riveria, CA
Posts: 2,073
Not ruined, but certainly distracting: I recently watched the first MCU Captain America movie, and for the entire first half, every time Hugo Weaving was on screen all I could think was "this isn't a flashback to World War 2 - Captain America is trapped in the matrix with Agent Smith". I found his Red Skull getup in the second part of the film required less suspension of belief.

Last edited by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness; 05-09-2019 at 06:01 PM.
  #3  
Old 05-09-2019, 06:16 PM
MEBuckner's Avatar
MEBuckner is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 12,018
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock is not, IMHO, the best of the Star Trek movies (though certainly not the worst, either); but one minor issue I have always had with it is seeing Christopher Lloyd as a wily and dangerous Klingon, and NOT seeing him as Jim Ignatowski. Always makes me wonder how you say "What... does... a... yellow... light... mean?" in Klingon.
__________________
"In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves." -- Carl Sagan

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
  #4  
Old 05-09-2019, 06:31 PM
HubZilla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
Not ruined, but certainly distracting: I recently watched the first MCU Captain America movie, and for the entire first half, every time Hugo Weaving was on screen all I could think was "this isn't a flashback to World War 2 - Captain America is trapped in the matrix with Agent Smith". I found his Red Skull getup in the second part of the film required less suspension of belief.
Or Hugo Weaving in the Fellowship of the Ring.

"Hobbits are a virus, Mr. Baggins"
__________________
"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument" - William McAdoo
  #5  
Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 PM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 5,127
that happens to me in animated series all the time ....like i can always pick out greg cipes voice in any cartoon and say "beast boy "!
  #6  
Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 PM
dorvann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 672
Everytime I see Yoda in Star Wars I start think "are any other Muppets going to show up?".
  #7  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Sam Stone is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 27,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Everytime I see Yoda in Star Wars I start think "are any other Muppets going to show up?".
They totally should have done a crossover with the land of Gorch. The Mighty Favog could have been Yoda, and Scred would have been a lot better than Jar-Jar Binks.
  #8  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Sam Stone is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 27,888
Shall we mention the appearance of Ed Sheeran in Game of Thrones? An appearance so hated that they even wrote a horrible death for the character in the next season even though he wasn't onscreen again after his one scene.
  #9  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Everytime I see Yoda in Star Wars I start think "are any other Muppets going to show up?".
I seriously cannot hear Yoda without thinking of Fozzie Bear.
__________________
Who is the Calypso Singer that rides Pegasus?
Harry Bellerophonte
  #10  
Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 PM
GESancMan's Avatar
GESancMan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portland
Posts: 3,259
When John DeLanice showed up on Breaking Bad, I had a hard time seeing past that previous role of his.

SPOILER:
When he entered Jane's house after she had died, and walked around in a daze, I said to my wife, "can't he just snap his fingers and bring her back to life?"
  #11  
Old 05-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I was just trying to watch (out of boredom) John Carter on Netflix. Within the first 20 minutes, I saw Jimmy McNulty (The Wire), Mr. White (Breaking Bad), Julius Caesar and Marc Antony (Rome). These were signature roles for these actors and series that were well-loved by me.
Don't forget Polly Walker, who played Atia of the Julii. I still hear the distant wailing of her enemies sometimes...
Atia of the Julii, I call for justice!
Atia of the Julii, I call for justice!
Atia of the Julii, I call for justice!
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Shall we mention the appearance of Ed Sheeran in Game of Thrones? An appearance so hated that they even wrote a horrible death for the character in the next season even though he wasn't onscreen again after his one scene.
Worse, they let him live but horribly disfigured.
"Did you hear he came back with no eyelids?"
"How do you sleep with no eyelids?"

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-09-2019 at 10:43 PM.
  #12  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Baker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 20,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I seriously cannot hear Yoda without thinking of Fozzie Bear.
Some little kid sitting close to me in the theater said Mom, he sounds like Fozzie!
__________________
Never give up, never surrender!
  #13  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 PM
caligulathegod is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 700
Not me. I love trying to spot actors from other roles. I think it's a shame when people can't see past a character an actor has played in the past, preventing the actor from doing something new and earning a living. The saddest stories are those of actors losing parts because casting directors can't see past their previous roles. It's driven some to suicide. My wife is an anglophile, so I pretty much have to watch a lot of British shows. It's so different there. They have, like, twenty actors and they play anything and everything. Rowan Atkinson can play a role as iconic as Mr Bean and then play a detective in a murder mystery series.
  #14  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 42,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I saw Jimmy McNulty (The Wire),
I'm not usually too bothered by seeing familiar faces in other shows, but it took me several seasons to stop thinking of Littlefinger on Game of Thrones as being the mayor of Baltimore on The Wire.
  #15  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:29 PM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
[...]British shows. It's so different there. They have, like, twenty actors and they play anything and everything.
I keep reading and re-reading this but I can't parse it in a way that sounds good, and I think you meant it as an example of a good thing. But to me it sounds completely awful.
  #16  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 AM
markn+ is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: unknown; Speed: exactly 0
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
Always makes me wonder how you say "What... does... a... yellow... light... mean?" in Klingon.
nuq jatlh wIy SuD?
  #17  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:19 AM
Annoying Buzz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Some little kid sitting close to me in the theater said Mom, he sounds like Fozzie!
Seeing Empire Strikes Back for the first time, I literally said "It's Grover!"
  #18  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:25 AM
Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,093
Fozzie? I always thought Yoda sounded closest to Grover.
  #19  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:36 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is online now
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 14,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Fozzie? I always thought Yoda sounded closest to Grover.
Another vote, here, for hearing Grover in Yoda's voice, moreso than Fozzie.

My other two nominees have already been mentioned: Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon in Star Trek III, and Hugo Weaving as Elrond in The Lord of the Rings.
  #20  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:43 AM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I was just trying to watch (out of boredom) John Carter on Netflix. Within the first 20 minutes, I saw Jimmy McNulty (The Wire), Mr. White (Breaking Bad), Julius Caesar and Marc Antony (Rome). These were signature roles for these actors and series that were well-loved by me. No matter how hard I try, I can't see these guys living on Mars in what appears to be a really mediocre movie, and spouting the silliest dialog.

What movies have been ruined for you in this manner?
Are you sure their appearances is what ruined that movie? And not, you know, the terrible writing/premise?

But yeah, I see your point. Netflix had some old wwII news reel movies fairly recently all by John Huston and all I could think of is Gandalf. Gandalf talking about the horrors of the holocaust.

(And yes, I know he did those movies long before The Hobbit. But I had seen The Hobbit hundreds of times long before I even knew what WWII was)
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.

Last edited by snfaulkner; 05-10-2019 at 12:46 AM.
  #21  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:54 AM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
Always makes me wonder how you say "What... does... a... yellow... light... mean?" in Klingon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
nuq jatlh wIy SuD?
QIt ghoS.
  #22  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:03 AM
caligulathegod is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I keep reading and re-reading this but I can't parse it in a way that sounds good, and I think you meant it as an example of a good thing. But to me it sounds completely awful.
It means you might see the same actor playing a villain (or IS he?) in a Mystery drama, then a suitor in a Jane Austin style period piece, then in a comedy, then in Doctor Who. The actors have enough range to play them all. They've even invaded American TV and movies. I'd much rather enjoy watching a show and see an actor I liked from another show practicing his craft on something different over being bothered because he was in something else.

Unless your issue is the 20 actors. I am exaggerating but the same handful of actors do seem to turn up in a lot of things. Jim Broadbent, Judi Dench, and so on.
  #23  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:05 AM
MEBuckner's Avatar
MEBuckner is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 12,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
Or Hugo Weaving in the Fellowship of the Ring.

"Hobbits are a virus, Mr. Baggins"
"Mr. Baggins...it seems you have been living two lives. In one life, you are a respectable hobbit, living in a...respectable hobbit hole. In the other life, you are the bearer of the...One Ring. One of those lives has a future...and one of them does not."
  #24  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 AM
MEBuckner's Avatar
MEBuckner is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 12,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
nuq jatlh wIy SuD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
QIt ghoS.
ghewmey SuqQo'!
  #25  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:46 AM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Unless your issue is the 20 actors. I am exaggerating but the same handful of actors do seem to turn up in a lot of things. Jim Broadbent, Judi Dench, and so on.
Yes, it was just the "20 actors" part, and fair enough. Your explanation makes sense.
  #26  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:23 AM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 16,107
The only time this has affected me was when I was watching a movie that I can't remember the name to; one of the actors was being played by that guy who hosted "Unsolved Mysteries".

I just couldn't get past it.
  #27  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 AM
BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
Or Hugo Weaving in the Fellowship of the Ring.

"Hobbits are a virus, Mr. Baggins"
Actually, I go the other way on this one... Agent Smith spitting out, "Mr. Aragorn" to Keanu Reeves.
  #28  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 15,586
OK, Elijah Wood. I saw The Good Son way before LOTR, and I thought he did a good job playing off Macaulay Culkin (who reprised Kevin, only a little darker). Then I saw LOTR and then the Wilfred and Dirk Gently shows. It was hard not seeing Frodo all the time--even when I went back and watched Good Son--little microFrodo. I managed to separate Elijah from Frodo eventually. But I had to realize he really was, like Harrison Ford, Sean Bean, and Woody Allen, playing the same character all the time (Wood = whinging, meek, neurotic--and occasionally manic). Now I just see Elijah and not the movie characters.
  #29  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Telperion's Avatar
Telperion is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,439
I don't have that problem with movies, but I did find it distracting in Deadwood when Jack McCall grew out his beard and came back with a different name. Garret Dillahunt is recognizable enough that I think it was kind of a mistake to use him for two different roles just six episodes apart.
  #30  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,495
OJ Simpson in Naked Gun. Regardless his later baggage, he never could act.
  #31  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 AM
BeagleJesus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 106
After a recommendation from The Dope I started watching the British show Misfits. As soon as Iwan Rheon popped up on screen I started yelling irrationally "he's going to kill you and hunt you and feed you to his dogs and send your severed penis to your sister...damnit, just run!"

All the credit in the world to Iwan for doing a damn fine job of bringing the character to life but it's just too soon for Ramsay Bolton.
  #32  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:45 AM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 42,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Unless your issue is the 20 actors. I am exaggerating but the same handful of actors do seem to turn up in a lot of things. Jim Broadbent, Judi Dench, and so on.
So you think they shouldn't be used because they're very good actors capable of multiple roles? How dare they!

It doesn't bother me in the slightest if I recognize someone from another role. I say, "Oh, that's a familiar face," and then sit back to watch their performance. Their earlier roles have no bearing on how I will enjoy the film.

"Oh, David Tennant is playing Hamlet. Let's see how he handles the role."
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 05-10-2019 at 10:46 AM.
  #33  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Steve MB is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
OJ Simpson in Naked Gun. Regardless his later baggage, he never could act.
I hear his defense team wanted to introduce Capricorn One into evidence as proof that when their client asserted his innocence, he was not acting.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #34  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,706
Identifying faces from past roles is part of the fun of watching movies and tv shows. But I guess an occasional George Reeves in From Here to Eternity could be disruptive.
  #35  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:45 PM
KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 25,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
But I guess an occasional George Reeves in From Here to Eternity could be disruptive.
I was very excited to see Gone with the Wind for the first time as a child because he's one of the first faces you see on screen. Alas, I learned, 5 minutes later, you've pretty much seen the last of him.
  #36  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 42,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I managed to separate Elijah from Frodo eventually. But I had to realize he really was, like Harrison Ford, Sean Bean, and Woody Allen, playing the same character all the time (Wood = whinging, meek, neurotic--and occasionally manic). Now I just see Elijah and not the movie characters.
The role of his I found most distracting was when he played the cannibalistic martial-arts expert Kevin in Sin City. Decidedly a different character.
  #37  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 42,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Identifying faces from past roles is part of the fun of watching movies and tv shows. But I guess an occasional George Reeves in From Here to Eternity could be disruptive.
I recently re-watched Them!, the 1950s giant-ant movie, and was amused to find that the team combating them included Harry Truman (James Whitmore), Marshall Dillon (James Arness), and Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn).
  #38  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:20 PM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 42,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I recently re-watched Them!, the 1950s giant-ant movie, and was amused to find that the team combating them included Harry Truman (James Whitmore), Marshall Dillon (James Arness), and Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn).
Spock and Davy Crockett were involved, too, as were Martin Lane, Mel Cooley, and Darrin Stephens.
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 05-10-2019 at 01:21 PM.
  #39  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 42,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Spock and Davy Crockett were involved, too, as were Martin Lane, Mel Cooley, and Darrin Stephens.
I was looking for Davy Crockett while watching the movie, but was a bit disappointed since he doesn't show up until late, and I caught Cooley. The others I missed (they are all listed as uncredited on iMDB.)

Last edited by Colibri; 05-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.
  #40  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:16 PM
xizor's Avatar
xizor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,387
Here is one that switched on me.

When I first started watching The Walking Dead, it took me a long time to stop thinking "holy shit, Murphy turned into a redneck!" every time Norman Reedus spoke.
Now when I go back and watch Boondock Saints I am thinking "holy shit, Darryl turned Irish!"
  #41  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I was very excited to see Gone with the Wind for the first time as a child because he's one of the first faces you see on screen. Alas, I learned, 5 minutes later, you've pretty much seen the last of him.
This knowledge had completely escaped me. Now I have to go watch the first couple of minutes (it's not one of my all time favorite movies but, still -- a Superman cameo!).
  #42  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:42 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
The only time this has affected me was when I was watching a movie that I can't remember the name to; one of the actors was being played by that guy who hosted "Unsolved Mysteries".

I just couldn't get past it.
If you mean Robert Stack, he'll always be Elliot Ness to me.
  #43  
Old 05-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 15,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
If you mean Robert Stack, he'll always be Elliot Ness to me.
Doctor Ellison.
__________________
Y'all are just too damned serious. Lighten up.
  #44  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:20 PM
The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
This knowledge had completely escaped me. Now I have to go watch the first couple of minutes (it's not one of my all time favorite movies but, still -- a Superman cameo!).
“Woaw, Woaw, WOAW!”
  #45  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 25,218
It’s not ruined for me but every actor in Band of Brothers is always going to be primarily associated with that no matter what else they pop up in. With the exception of David Schwimmer because he will always be Ross.
  #46  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 PM
dorvann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
OJ Simpson in Naked Gun. Regardless his later baggage, he never could act.
Speaking of Naked Gun, it's really hard watching Leslie Nielsen in his earlier more dramatic roles after watching his later comedic work. Most notably in the sci fi classic The Forbidden Planet.
  #47  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It’s not ruined for me but every actor in Band of Brothers is always going to be primarily associated with that no matter what else they pop up in. With the exception of David Schwimmer because he will always be Ross.
I've pretty much gotten past that one. Also, I don't normally have any problem with British or American actors cropping up all the time. But John Carter is so awful that I almost have to feel sorry for these Shakespearean caliber actors being stuck in a dreadful movie. It's just. . .jarring.
  #48  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Andy L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Speaking of Naked Gun, it's really hard watching Leslie Nielsen in his earlier more dramatic roles after watching his later comedic work. Most notably in the sci fi classic The Forbidden Planet.
Yeah.
  #49  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:05 PM
markn+ is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: unknown; Speed: exactly 0
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Speaking of Naked Gun, it's really hard watching Leslie Nielsen in his earlier more dramatic roles after watching his later comedic work. Most notably in the sci fi classic The Forbidden Planet.
Surely you can't be serious.
  #50  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 PM
HowSoonIsThen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 305
Another "not ruined but distracting" answer: Cobie Smulders in the MCU. I just can't not see Robin from How I Met Your Mother. And Robin isn't believable as a Shield agent. Hopefully she's not in the new Spider-man for too long.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017