Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Are name brand items better than cheaper options? (Dollar Tree vs. Name Brand Stores)

I've always wondered if certain items are better (in quality) if they're bought from the mall, instead of Walmart?

Now, I've bought clothing & items from Walmart in the past, and they've lasted to this day. I just don't see why buying a $100 pair of jeans is necessary, unless if you have the money to do so.

On an extra note, what things do you buy or avoid at Dollar Stores? For me, I stay away from the socks & shoes, along with certain body washes/shampoos & detergents/fabric softeners, (except for dryer sheets) due to the harsher chemicals used in cheaply made products. However, some of the shirts and pants are actually good.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:43 PM

They have clothes at dollartree?
I'm kinda creeped out by the food in dollar stores. I have seen a few branded products and I guess I would expect them to be up to par. IMO, malls are way overpriced, anyway.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Do you mean dollar stores where everything costs a dollar? Or stores like Family Dollar and Dollar General? I've seen socks at Dollar Tree (where everything costs a dollar) but never pants & shirts.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:30 PM

I do not buy food from the dollar store but the candy is fine.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

There was an expose a while back where they tested things like soaps and lotions and, especially, makeup that was being sold at the discount stores. Turned out most were being made in China and had either dubious or outright dangerous ingredients.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 PM

I've tasted the fake dollar store pop-tarts and they aren't as good.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Do you mean dollar stores where everything costs a dollar? Or stores like Family Dollar and Dollar General? I've seen socks at Dollar Tree (where everything costs a dollar) but never pants & shirts.
Any Dollar Store in general. Dollar Tree only has socks, no shirts/pants, that I know of...

However, Dollar General/Family has actual clothing.

Last edited by sta3535; 05-10-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I've tasted the fake dollar store pop-tarts and they aren't as good.
How is it possible to make something worse than regular Pop-Tarts????
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:11 AM

I buy candy at dollar stores all the time. Other than smaller packaging to accommodate price they are identical.

I also buy reading glasses at the dollar store all the time. They are practically disposable to me so I don't mind if I lose or break them, which I have a tendency to do. They haven't wrecked my sight yet.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 AM

I'd be afraid to buy hair dye at the dollar store that wasn't a brand name.
I won't buy food unless it's a brand I've heard of.

I've never been to the dollar stores that aren't really dollar stores, where items are more than $1. So I've never had experience with clothing.

But just about everything else I've purchased at Dollar Tree has been just fine. I buy wrapping paper, gift bags, cleaning supplies, kitchen utensils, toothbrushes, etc. They have THE BEST popcorn - Brim's. It's delicious!

WalMart clothing has always been great. I can't imagine their t-shirts are made any differently than a t-shirt being sold at Penney's or anywhere else in the mall for at least 3X the price. The clothing I've purchased at WalMart has lasted forever. I just found a really cute outfit last week at WalMart on the clearance rack. A pair of flower print capris for $5 and a really cute top - it's a longer t-shirt style in a really soft fabric with kind of 60's vibe sleeves -elbow length with 2 tiers of flouncy ruffles for $5. That will be my Mother's Day outfit!

The same goes for WalMart's store brands - Equate and Great Value. I've never had anything that wasn't just as good as the name brand.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:41 AM

If you examine per-unit prices at the dollar store, in many cases you'll find the dollar store items are actually more expensive than the same item at Target or Walmart, and even the items that appear to be a better deal are often a smaller quantity and/or vastly inferior products.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 PM

Dial, Dove and Soft Soap liquid soaps leave my skin feeling rough and slightly irritated after only a few days of use. I never have this problem with what dollar stores offer. However, there's only so many little plastic pump bottles one needs, so I buy big bottles at Safeway or Fred Meyer and use my own pump bottle over and over. The store brands look like Dial but are cheaper. And my skin stays smooth and unirritated.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Crow View Post
Dial, Dove and Soft Soap liquid soaps leave my skin feeling rough and slightly irritated after only a few days of use. I never have this problem with what dollar stores offer.
Dollar Tree and 99 Cents Only Store sell many of the same products that other stores sell--they just sell them cheaper. I've heard that they take advantage of shipping discrepancies, or something like that. In any case, just because a soap product is more expensive doesn't mean the chemicals are any less "harsh." Often it's the exact same chemicals, and you're really just paying for the label.

Shampoos are one of the biggest marking scams ever. For anything over $5 or $6 you're just wasting your money.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:20 AM

Always check the labels and origin of anything you buy in $ stores, especially mom and pop ones. The brand name may be the same, but it's made in a foreign country which may have different ingredients and standards from the U.S.

This is especially true for things like non-edible items like toothpaste, shaving cream and soap. But even name brand candies can be manufactured overseas.

This isn't to say it's a bad thing, but be aware before you buy. I prefer to buy locally bottled water when possible, but if that's not available, I'll buy a national name brand rather than an unknown brand.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:47 AM

also dollar tree/family dollar "licenses" brand names for some of their stuff so you see "3m scotch tape" than mfd by "Greenbriar intl for 3m " " who owns the stores and makes most of the stuff sold in dollar tree family dollar has the same setup under a diff name tho

and yes some companies won't sell full-size products to dollar stores .... in fact i think Kroger has in their contracts with suppliers that cant sell the same sizes to dollar/closeout stores like big lots that they sell in Kroger owned stores

sometimes it just doesn't work like when coke tried to sell a 10 oz bottle for a dollar instead of the 20 oz ones they were selling in closeouts ... iit didnt go well at all .....

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-12-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Dollar Tree and 99 Cents Only Store sell many of the same products that other stores sell--they just sell them cheaper. I've heard that they take advantage of shipping discrepancies, or something like that. In any case, just because a soap product is more expensive doesn't mean the chemicals are any less "harsh." Often it's the exact same chemicals, and you're really just paying for the label.

Shampoos are one of the biggest marking scams ever. For anything over $5 or $6 you're just wasting your money.
Not in the same country, but my mother worked for a while in a shampoo factory in the UK, a factory which made multiple brand name products, and a bunch of cheapy knock-offs. The difference was almost wholly limited to what thickener, scent and colourant they used (and that went for the dog shampoo as well). One of the shop specials, according to her, actually insisted on higher product testing standards than may of the well known premium brands.

Oh, and the 'herbal extracts' were the comedy token gesture of one pipette full per vat, regardless.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:36 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

In my experience, liquid dish detergents in generic and/or dollar store brands seem to be more watered down than brand names. One squirt of the good stuff was the same as 3 or 4 squirts of the cheap stuff, so no real savings as far as I could see.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

WallyWorld has some stuff that even Dollar Tree wouldn't be able to beat. You can get a 6-for-$1 pack of toothbrushes at Wal-Mart, for instance. Since I tend to brush my teeth twice a day, and pretty vigorously, each toothbrush only lasts four or five days, but still, one of those packs gets me through a couple of two-week trips.

But on the whole, Dollar Tree is great for traveling. Whatever small items you forgot, you can buy them there for a buck each, and they'll last you a week or two. Those off-off-brand batteries won't last nearly as long as Duracell or even Ray-O-Vac, but they'll last the week. Need some cheap snacks for your hotel room? They've got 'em. You forgot to pack earbuds? They've got those too - not the greatest, but good enough for a week.

They also have a decent collection of greeting cards - kinda hit-or-miss, of course, but enough of them are good that I always stock up for future occasions when I'm there, because instead of costing five or six bucks each (it's crazy what greeting cards cost these days, most places), they're only a buck.

What's really cool about shopping at Dollar Tree are the times you don't stop to think, "do I really need that?" and you just grab whatever strikes your fancy at the moment. And you get to the register with a basket full of stuff, and you find you've only spent $27 plus tax.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

FWIW, I consider Dollar Tree to be a true 'dollar store' because everything's $1, while Dollar General and Family Dollar aren't, because most of their stuff costs a good deal more. Just having 'Dollar' in the store name doesn't make it a dollar store.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Since I tend to brush my teeth twice a day, and pretty vigorously, each toothbrush only lasts four or five days, but still, one of those packs gets me through a couple of two-week trips.
My dentist told me that brushing your teeth too vigorously can lead to a receding gumline, in between light and vigorous brushing is the target zone.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta3535 View Post
My dentist told me that brushing your teeth too vigorously can lead to a receding gumline, in between light and vigorous brushing is the target zone.
I'm 65, so if it was going to happen due to my brushing, it would have surely started by now. My dentist seems to think everything's OK.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
FWIW, I consider Dollar Tree to be a true 'dollar store' because everything's $1, while Dollar General and Family Dollar aren't, because most of their stuff costs a good deal more. Just having 'Dollar' in the store name doesn't make it a dollar store.
I fully agree.

Back in their heyday (1990s, I guess) there were a bunch of different dollar stores, and they were fun to browse in because you never knew what you'd find.\

Nowadays, it's been a long time since I've seen a true dollar store other than Dollar Tree.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta3535 View Post
Now, I've bought clothing & items from Walmart in the past, and they've lasted to this day. I just don't see why buying a $100 pair of jeans is necessary, unless if you have the money to do so.
Just the other day I happened to be looking at jeans on Amazon, for no particular reason, and seeing that many of them cost well upwards of $100 a pair. And I wondered, who spends hundreds of dollars on a pair of jeans? What do those jeans do that a $20 pair doesn't? Are they really that much better? Or do some people just have so much money that it makes sense to them to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of pants?

That said, some clothing definitely is better than others—looks better, feels better, fits better—and in my experience WalMart's (and similar) house brands of clothing are... adequate, but not my first choice.

But also in my experience, price alone is not a reliable indicator of quality when it comes to clothing.

Last edited by Thudlow Boink; 05-14-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
If you examine per-unit prices at the dollar store, in many cases you'll find the dollar store items are actually more expensive than the same item at Target or Walmart, and even the items that appear to be a better deal are often a smaller quantity and/or vastly inferior products.
This is often IME also true if you compare big box stores to smaller, independently run local stores. If you still have any of the latter in your area, try it sometime.

Quote:
WallyWorld has some stuff that even Dollar Tree wouldn't be able to beat. You can get a 6-for-$1 pack of toothbrushes at Wal-Mart, for instance. Since I tend to brush my teeth twice a day, and pretty vigorously, each toothbrush only lasts four or five days, but still, one of those packs gets me through a couple of two-week trips.
That seems an awfully short time for a toothbrush to last, to me. I rotate a couple of them, trying to use a different one in morning and evening so they have time to dry out better between uses, but mine last for multiple months -- I don't keep close track. I'm curious: have you tried buying various brands of toothbrushes at various places to see if any of them last longer?

I remember having a conversation with somebody once in which she said she didn't see any reason to pay more than $20 or $30 for shoes because they only last a couple of months. I said the reason her shoes were only lasting a couple of months was that the shoes available for that price were all poorly made. It's true that higher price is no guarantee of better quality -- it may have to do instead with the name on the shoe, or the name on the store, or somebody's perception of what's pretty. But when something's being sold extraordinarily cheap: there's a reason. And sometimes, though not always, the reason is that it's shoddy.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Just the other day I happened to be looking at jeans on Amazon, for no particular reason, and seeing that many of them cost well upwards of $100 a pair. And I wondered, who spends hundreds of dollars on a pair of jeans? What do those jeans do that a $20 pair doesn't? Are they really that much better? Or do some people just have so much money that it makes sense to them to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of pants?

That said, some clothing definitely is better than others—looks better, feels better, fits better—and in my experience WalMart's (and similar) house brands of clothing are... adequate, but not my first choice.

But also in my experience, price alone is not a reliable indicator of quality when it comes to clothing.
Because they can afford it or pretend to be able to afford it.

I knew a guy (a friend of a friend) who was in charge of a highly successful family run produce distribution company. His fiancee would routinely buy $300+ jeans just because she could. My friend told me that sometimes she wouldn't even wear them before passing on to one of her friends.

On the other hand, I had a girl whose mother ran a small catering business (don't now how successful it was), and between complaining to my friend about how much she and the business were struggling, upgraded the Mercedes SUV she was leasing to a newer, larger model.

In both cases, there may be a logical explanation. The $300 jeans and other high end clothing may be de rigueur when meeting clients. Same with the Mercedes, though there's more doubt that driving a high end Mercedes SUV would make or break a catering deal.

Last edited by lingyi; 05-14-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
In my experience, liquid dish detergents in generic and/or dollar store brands seem to be more watered down than brand names. One squirt of the good stuff was the same as 3 or 4 squirts of the cheap stuff, so no real savings as far as I could see.
That's what I've noticed too, and sometimes they have thickeners in them to give them a closer consistency to the more pricey products.

Really though, dollar stores are just another tier on the whole name brand/house brand/generic continuum of products.

And it really depends on the product. For some things, the dollar store versions are perfectly serviceable. Things like dish sponges, disposable plastic containers, bar soap, etc... are all just as useful as the name brand equivalent.

Others are definitely not; would you trust a dollar store condom brand? Or put dollar store oil in your car? Or use a dollar store charger on an expensive electronic device?

Ultimately though, even for the items that are more or less equivalent, they're playing games with sizing to ensure they're still $1, and often, as pointed out upthread, they're not actually cheaper per unit (or if you prefer, you're getting less for your $1 than if you bought it at Wal-Mart.)
Old 05-14-2019, 01:57 PM

A lot of times fashionable clothing is more expensive just to be more exclusive. A $300 pair of jeans is not 3x more durable than a $100 pair of jeans, and not 6x more durable than $50 jeans. But the $300 pair of jeans has a cool designer label that all your friends will be impressed with. The actual problem with cheap clothes is that it is often made cheaply and with cheap materials. The threads and fabrics may be thinner and less durable. The construction may not be as crisp. The fabric pattern may not line up as well where parts are sewn together. Elastic things like socks will stretch out. Shoes will fall apart sooner.

The quality of tools are often directly linked to price. I wouldn't buy tools from the DS unless it was a one-time use thing. Even something simple like a screwdriver will be made with softer steel that may bend or warp under high stress. Anything with a motor or that needs precision will likely be worse than a higher priced, name branded tool.

I worry about foods since I don't feel as sure that they maintained the quality control and temperature. Since they're trying to eek out a profit at a low price, I worry that they might not be as concerned if the food isn't kept at the right temperature since it costs more to keep the shipping truck at a lower temperature.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM

When I worked for a consumer electronics company, we had our regular line of products,then we would have the club line. The club line was products that were sold at club stores like Sam's, BJ's, Costco, etc. They were of lesser quality and had fewer features. Our company was not the only one who did this.

So for electronics at least, there is a difference in quality even within the same brand name, based on where you purchase it.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I remember having a conversation with somebody once in which she said she didn't see any reason to pay more than $20 or $30 for shoes because they only last a couple of months. I said the reason her shoes were only lasting a couple of months was that the shoes available for that price were all poorly made. It's true that higher price is no guarantee of better quality -- it may have to do instead with the name on the shoe, or the name on the store, or somebody's perception of what's pretty. But when something's being sold extraordinarily cheap: there's a reason. And sometimes, though not always, the reason is that it's shoddy.
I don't see any reason to pay more than 20 or 30 for shoes either. They'll last me about 9 or ten months if I wear them nearly every day. $100+ shoes will maybe - MAYBE - last a year if I wear them nearly every day. I get far more bang for my buck out of cheaper shoes.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:

This reminds me of Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness. From one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books:

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

Last edited by dorvann; 05-14-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 PM

This 2016 Snopes.com article was found to be True:

Dollar Store Toothpaste

Some dollar stores sell expired and foreign, non-ADA-approved formulations of toothpaste."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do...re-toothpaste/

Note that the reporters found that some of the products were name brand.

Also, I would never buy anything electrical (i.e. carries a current, not matter how small) at a dollar store. Earbuds are fine, USB cables or chargers, a no go.

Last edited by lingyi; 05-14-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I fully agree.

Back in their heyday (1990s, I guess) there were a bunch of different dollar stores, and they were fun to browse in because you never knew what you'd find.\

Nowadays, it's been a long time since I've seen a true dollar store other than Dollar Tree.
When I was in San Diego they had 99 cent stores (surprisingly, considering how high cost of living is there).

Other than that and dollar tree I don't think I've seen any others either. I believe family dollar started as a true dollar store but switched to being a general store. I mean at this point though, dollar tree probably has the market cornered on dollar stores so I'm not sure if another company could compete (its not like the items would be different).

Apparently Japan has some interesting 100 yen stores though.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:40 PM

Ohh...we just got our second Daiso store here in Hawaii (no Dollar Tree or Dollar General AFAIK). Daiso is huge in locations (2,800 in Japan, 4,000 worldwide, including a good number in the mainland U.S.) and some of their stores are huge in size, one the biggest is in South Korea (where it's a 1,000 won store) with 8 floors of a building devoted to it. Daiso is a 100 yen store in name only as their items are priced in multiples of 100 yen, $1.50 in Hawaii.

I haven't visited either store (the first one opened late last year) because of reports of long lines and empty shelves. I'll wait until the furor dies down before filling my basket with things I really don't need!
Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM

I bought paper towels at the Dollar General near me. They hang on a rack that is magnetically attached to the side of my fridge. They are infuriating, which is quite an accomplishment for paper towels. The perforations between sheets are not substantial, and if you grab a sheet and pull it sideways you tear the whole business of off the fridge; the rack and the roll end up on the floor with about 7 sheets unspooled. Great attention must be taken to use two hands to tear off a sheet. One to tightly press the rest of the roll, and one to do the tearing. I do not consider this purchase to be a bargain.

Last edited by bobot; 05-15-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
I don't see any reason to pay more than 20 or 30 for shoes either. They'll last me about 9 or ten months if I wear them nearly every day. $100+ shoes will maybe - MAYBE - last a year if I wear them nearly every day. I get far more bang for my buck out of cheaper shoes.
IMO, some brands of shoes aren't as comfortable because of the insoles.

Cheaper Shoes = Cheaper Insoles

Which is why I either buy shoes from Dunham's or buy insole inserts if they cause discomfort for my feet.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
The person I had that conversation with said hers were lasting a lot less than that. And when I bought cheap shoes they'd often last a lot less than that -- plus which, I discovered, they'd usually give me plantar fasciitis. Better shoes cleared that right back up.

Feet vary, of course; as do the conditions people wear their shoes in, and how they move in them.

Yes, I like the Vimes Theory. It applies to a lot of things. Being poor is often expensive.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup Smith View Post
I do not buy food from the dollar store but the candy is fine.
Back when I was a poor college student I'd often shop at Big Lots. While not a true dollar store it seemed like a lot of the stuff in their food and household goods sections was the same stuff sold at dollar stores. The food was very hit or miss. Generally basic items like cans of green beans or whatever were fine. And the six packs of Shasta Cola for 99 cents were hard to beat. But I remember a can of baked beans I bought there once that was just truly awful. I think I maybe choked down a spoonful or two and had to throw the rest out, they were that bad. I mean, just the fact that can remember a can of beans that I bought circa 2002 probably says something about how bad they were.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
That seems an awfully short time for a toothbrush to last, to me. I rotate a couple of them, trying to use a different one in morning and evening so they have time to dry out better between uses, but mine last for multiple months -- I don't keep close track. I'm curious: have you tried buying various brands of toothbrushes at various places to see if any of them last longer?
Pretty much all toothbrushes last way longer than these 17-cent specials. The point is, they're good for traveling.

I'm not really keen on taking the toothbrush with me on a trip that I've been using at home; I'll buy a cheap toothbrush for the trip, and toss it when I head for home. These 6-for-$1 toothbrushes are perfect for that. 50 cents' worth of toothbrushes gets me through a 2-week vacation.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
family dollar is a dollar store for people who don't want the dollar store taint when they shop..

If you've ever noticed family dollar is carefully set up where there's 2-4 varieties of an item 1 or 2 are name brands (that's often more expensive than a grocery store)but there's always and 1-2 that's a dollar or less ... that's the ones they really want to sell and most people buy (and often the exact same thing you can buy at dollar tree ) but if you buy the name brand well they don't mind either

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-16-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Pretty much all toothbrushes last way longer than these 17-cent specials. The point is, they're good for traveling.

I'm not really keen on taking the toothbrush with me on a trip that I've been using at home; I'll buy a cheap toothbrush for the trip, and toss it when I head for home. These 6-for-$1 toothbrushes are perfect for that. 50 cents' worth of toothbrushes gets me through a 2-week vacation.
Ah. Gotcha.

I generally do just take whatever toothbrush I've been using at home; but I also don't travel much.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
The person I had that conversation with said hers were lasting a lot less than that. And when I bought cheap shoes they'd often last a lot less than that -- plus which, I discovered, they'd usually give me plantar fasciitis. Better shoes cleared that right back up.

Feet vary, of course; as do the conditions people wear their shoes in, and how they move in them.

Yes, I like the Vimes Theory. It applies to a lot of things. Being poor is often expensive.
In that case I'd strongly suspect that pricier shoes would also have a shorter lifespan for her than they do for me. If I pay 5X as much for something and it doesn't last at least 5X as long, I got ripped off. And I've never found a consistent correlation between price and comfort when it comes to shoes.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
In that case I'd strongly suspect that pricier shoes would also have a shorter lifespan for her than they do for me. If I pay 5X as much for something and it doesn't last at least 5X as long, I got ripped off. And I've never found a consistent correlation between price and comfort when it comes to shoes.
I generally buy cheaper shoes because I am very hard on shoes. However, I recently purchased a pair of sandals that were very expensive, and they are the most comfortable pair of shoes I've worn in years.
Partly because it's a good quality brand (some expensive brands are about conspicuous consumption rather than actual quality) and partly because this brand has actual double-wide sizes.

I doubt it will last the 5+ times as long as a cheaper pair of shoes, but in this case it was worth it.

Mind you, the reason why cheaper shoes don't last as long for me is in part because I can't find the width I need in cheap shoes.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
I doubt it will last the 5+ times as long as a cheaper pair of shoes, but in this case it was worth it.
Being more comfortable is something that is valuable. Even if they don't last 5x as long as the cheaper versions, you might enjoy wearing them 5x more. Consider something like hiking shoes. It's probably counterproductive to get super-cheap hiking shoes. Expensive shoes might mean you can do the whole hike without any discomfort in your feet, while cheap shoes might be painful and cause you to cut your hike short. Even if the expensive ones didn't last 5x as long as the cheap ones, the cheap ones could be essentially useless even if they were free.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
[ . . ] I've never found a consistent correlation between price and comfort when it comes to shoes.
I haven't found a consistent correlation among expensive shoes: some don't last, some do; some are comfortable, some aren't.

But I have found a consistent correlation in that cheap shoes are far more likely not to last and/or to hurt my feet.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
Mind you, the reason why cheaper shoes don't last as long for me is in part because I can't find the width I need in cheap shoes.
Cheaper shoes with double or extra width can be found at Walmart, but I've only seen them in black.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Dollar stores sell serviceable glassware for much less than any home furnishings store.

I buy a lot of food from a chain called Aldi which specializes in non-name brand foods which nevertheless are very good quality and often much cheaper. For example, a pint of heavy cream for $2, or a double pack of fig cookies for $1 that are just as good as Fig Newtons, etc. Aldi has the highest ratio of quality to cost that I've ever seen.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:35 PM

I've bought some things from Aldi that were pretty good quality. I've also bought some things from Aldi that turned out to be absolute junk.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:59 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

If you look at the clothing in any "dollar store" a lot of it is marked "irregular" or the manufacturer's tag has been sliced or removed, which means the same thing. The rest of it is pure junk.

As for stuff like household cleaners or rubber gloves, there's usually a hierarchy even among name-brand products. If you see something like Tide or Dawn at a discount store, look for a qualifier like "simple," "just" or something else to indicate this isn't the manufacturer's best stuff. The dishwashing detergent I buy at a supermarket, or even Wal-Mart, is "Dawn Ultra." The stuff at the dollar store is "Dawn."
Old 05-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
As for stuff like household cleaners or rubber gloves, there's usually a hierarchy even among name-brand products. If you see something like Tide or Dawn at a discount store, look for a qualifier like "simple," "just" or something else to indicate this isn't the manufacturer's best stuff. The dishwashing detergent I buy at a supermarket, or even Wal-Mart, is "Dawn Ultra." The stuff at the dollar store is "Dawn."
One trick I've noticed is that the ultra-cheap dish detergent is much more watery than name brands. One of many ways for a product to be invisibly lower quality.