#1  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Saint Cad is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N of Denver & S of Sanity
Posts: 13,168

Avoided the ebay auto scam


Sent an email about a car for sale online
Quote:
Hello there,

My 2003 Range Rover HSE is still for sale. This SUV is in great shape. Iím the original owner. It has no damage, no scratches, dents or hidden defects. It is in good condition, meticulously maintained, always garaged and hasnít been involved in any accidentÖ Has only 98,221 miles. I have a clear title, without liens or loans on it, under my name. The SUV belonged to my lovely husband who passed away 1 month ago and it brings me bad memories each time i open my garage... thatís the reason I want to sell it asap......The price was reduced at $1,800. Hate to sell it, but it's not worth keeping insurance. I want to use eBay Services for the safety of both of us so if youíre interested in purchasing this vehicle, I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.
Ooooookay a scam right? On the off chance that it wasn't I reply
"You're in the Denver area correct? Why not a cash deal?"

Her reply
Quote:
Me and my daughter decided to moved at my parents house in Omaha Nebraska trying to start a new life. The SUV is at the shipping company in Omaha Nebraska, ready for delivery because someone agreed to buy it, but in the end he never got the loan. For this reason, the shipping is already paid .

I will use eBay motors in this transaction for our protection. If you are not aware of this program, you should know that it will allow you to test and inspect the vehicle before paying me. The inspection period will be set to 5 days and I think is enough for you to make a decision about the vehicle. If you won`t like my SUV you notify eBay motors and you send it back on my expense. But I assure you it won't be the case.

When receiving it you will have as well all the documents including title, sale bill , 2 sets of keys, full service records and more...The title and the bill of sale will be notarized and signed by me.

I can ask eBay to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. If you are really interested please reply with your whole name, a delivery address including street, city, state, zip code and phone number and they will contact you right away. As soon as I hear that from you I will initiate the transaction through them.

Best Regards,
I was thinking of replying to this about how I'll be in Omaha this weekend or my cousin lives in Omaha but considering she has my real email I'm just going to let this drop.
  #2  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 38,936
Color me naive, but what was going to be the scam? Does the alleged seller get money up front with eBay?

Regards,
Shodan
  #3  
Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Spiderman's Avatar
Spiderman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: somewhere East of there
Posts: 10,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her reply
The title and the bill of sale will be notarized and signed by me.
I may be mistaken, but I didn't think one was allowed to notarize their own documents; kinda defeats the purpose.
  #4  
Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 AM
nate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I may be mistaken, but I didn't think one was allowed to notarize their own documents; kinda defeats the purpose.
Maybe she meant "The title and the bill of sale will be signed by me and notarized"?
  #5  
Old 05-10-2019, 11:44 AM
FairyChatMom's Avatar
FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 41,103
Not sure what the scam is, but yeah, it's scammy. We went thru similar crap when selling a motorcycle a few years back. Some guy in the PNW wanted to buy it because, well, no one out there sells Harleys, right? He also fed us some crap about using his work email because he's in the military and had a classified position and some such crap.

Similarly when I answered an ad for an RV, it was in Omaha (hmmmm, I sense a trend) but they'd send it to me on approval so if I didn't like it... yeah.

I guess this crap works on some people.
  #6  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Color me naive, but what was going to be the scam?
I searched for ebay auto scam and got a thread with about a dozen very similarly worded offers to ship through ebay services.

Apparently, they want you to pay up front with some kind of untraceable method, gift cards, or such, then they just skip out on you.
  #7  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Dallas Jones is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orygun forest
Posts: 4,812
Scams like this that involve any kind of shipping company are all about paying the so-called shipping company. I know this one says that the shipping company was holding the vehicle because the previous sale fell through, and the shipping is already paid. But after you get a bit more involved there will be some other, minor fee that needs to be paid, in this case probably some storage for the time that the shipping company has held the vehicle.

So you get really involved, it is a great deal, and the owner just wants to get rid of the thing. So you think that another $300 for the storage is a minor issue and you pay it.

There never was a vehicle for sale, never was even a seller, there isn't even a shipping company. The storage fee (or whatever they come up with) is the whole scam.
  #8  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 38,936
Thanks, Dallas and Cheese.

Regards,
Shodan
  #9  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 28,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Apparently, they want you to pay up front with some kind of untraceable method, gift cards, or such, then they just skip out on you.
You say they just skip out on you as if they actually own the vehicle they're pretending to sell.

I know you know, but just to be clear, it's fake right from the very beginning. When I was selling my bike, I'd say well over half the people that were 'interested' in it asked me to get a VIN report. They'd even provide a link. I can assure you that every single person who asks the seller for a VIN report never had any interest in buying the vehicle. They just want you to pay for the VIN report (either to steal your credit card info or because they get a referral fee).
  #10  
Old 05-10-2019, 04:57 PM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 12,670
Saint Cad, if you received this email randomly, out of the blue, then yes definitely scammy. Who sends out mass emails to people saying that you are the priority buyer of a car they are selling on ebay?

But if you know the person that sent it...
  #11  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:52 PM
Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 28,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Saint Cad, if you received this email randomly, out of the blue, then yes definitely scammy. Who sends out mass emails to people saying that you are the priority buyer of a car they are selling on ebay?

But if you know the person that sent it...
Saint Cad emailed them, asking to buy their car. The two quotes in the OP are the replies. It wasn't unsolicited.
  #12  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:01 PM
Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 28,514
If you reply with something like 'That sounds great, let me know as soon as you have it listed on ebay. Just send me the link and I'll buy it" I'll bet you either never hear from them again or they start trying to explain what they meant by 'ebay motors'. As soon as the person asked for all your info to have ebay send something to you (ya know, to explain how ebay works), that was a red flag.
Remember, in order for ebay to have any involvement, the sale has to be completed on ebay.
This person will probably try to explain how everything will happen on some other site or you'll paypal/mail them the payment etc etc etc, but somehow ebay motors is involved to cover you in case there's a problem. It's just a scam and they're using the ebay name to A)invoke trust and B)get a headstart when you realize you were scammed. They'll have a few extra days while you try to file a dispute through ebay.
  #13  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 31,426
This got my scam antennae twitching:
Quote:
The SUV belonged to my lovely husband who passed away 1 month ago and it brings me bad memories each time i open my garage... thatís the reason I want to sell it asap......
Maybe she also has a vintage Corvette that another family member passed away in and wants to sell it really cheap.
  #14  
Old 05-10-2019, 07:27 PM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
This got my scam antennae twitching:Maybe she also has a vintage Corvette that another family member passed away in and wants to sell it really cheap.
Exactly. That and the part about the shipping company and everything is already paid but it fell through. Waaaaaay too many weird things going on.
  #15  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:11 PM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 25,460
Ebay has a excellent guide to avoid scams.

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html
  #16  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Saint Cad is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N of Denver & S of Sanity
Posts: 13,168
The scam is: send me, a complete stranger, $$$ and I promise to send the car from a remote location so you can't verify that it really exist and since it's Ebay Motors it's totally NOT a scam.
__________________
If all else fails, try S.C.E. to Aux.
  #17  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Patch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In my house
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
The SUV belonged to my lovely husband who passed away 1 month ago and it brings me bad memories each time i open my garage... thatís the reason I want to sell it asap......
Odd... I thought it was in a shipping facility in Omaha.

Quote:
The SUV is at the shipping company in Omaha Nebraska, ready for delivery because someone agreed to buy it, but in the end he never got the loan.
Or maybe...maybe... the daughter is including the wife in the deal and she's also at the shipping company!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017