Old 05-10-2019, 08:01 PM

What's a good porky soup for spring?

So...
I have been making a lot of stir fries out of pork chops. The store near me had nice center cut boneless chops on sale for the month of March. But, one time I went they were out but had a big pack of random bone-in chops from all over the the muscle. So I got the pack and cut the nicer areas of meat into my stir fry, and put the rest into the freezer.

Now the bag of pork chop bones and bits of meat is taking up a lot of real-estate in my all-to-small freeze, because I can't quite figure out what to do with it. I love Pork and bean type soups and stews all winter, but it's just not catching my interest as the weather wars up. I've been thinking maybe something like Chorizo to reinforce the pork and add flavor, plus hominy and Chiles would be good, but it doesn't sound complete as that.

What thoughts/suggestions do you have for my pork?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I've been thinking maybe something like Chorizo to reinforce the pork and add flavor, plus hominy and Chiles would be good, but it doesn't sound complete as that.

What thoughts/suggestions do you have for my pork?
I think you answered your own question
Old 05-10-2019, 08:09 PM

three sisters soup

this recipe calls for chicken stock, but the person who introduced me to this soup used pork stock with bits of the meat in the soup.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

I believe pea soup is traditional for spring. Adding some pork to the stock would fit in well.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:45 PM

Chili verde. Chop a lb of tomatilos, half an onion, a can of diced green chili, and your comfort level of Serrano peppers. Saute a few minutes. Add 32oz of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Keep them simmering and the liquid reducing while you fix the pork. The recipe i learned on had you dice the pork very fine and brown in oil. Add chili powder and half a bottle of dark beer and cook as low as possible until the pork is done. These days I'd toss the pork, chili powder, and beer in the instant pot and let it do its thing. Add the pork mixture to the green sauce plus a can of rinse and drained white beans and simmer for thirty minutes or so til the flavors have melded. Add more broth or beer to keep out it at a consistency between soup and chili. Serve with cotija cheese, sour cream, and some chunks of avocado. And the rest of the beer.

Last edited by BeeGee; 05-10-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Hmm i had completely forgotten about pozole. Well obviously nor completely forgotten, since my memory pulled up the ingredient easily enough, I just had forgotten it was an existing dish I guess.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I believe pea soup is traditional for spring. Adding some pork to the stock would fit in well.
Fresh pea soup is, made with spring peas and not much else, usually a water base, mint, and possibly cream or milk. Supposed to be simple and delicate.

But you know what? The next few days here will be windy and rainy with highs in the 50s, and the hell with it, Im making either a bean or a split pea soup with the smoked hock and neck bone in my freezer.

Its too early in the season to give up cold-weather food for the monotony of salads, grilled meat and vegetables well be serving from June through September.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:08 AM

I agree, pozole is your answer. Freshen it up by serving with loads of cilantro, maybe some diced white or green onion. Mmm.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:49 PM

The Pozole is underway. I guess the procrastination payed off because the weather turned fairly cold this morning which was good, because when I went to the store and saw some smocked ham hocks, they sounded really good in place of the chorizo for cool weather soupage.

Last edited by wolfman; 05-12-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:55 PM

While not a soup, pork fried rice is a fairly easy dish to make and freezes and reheats well.