Old 05-11-2019, 06:34 AM

Nurse, I did not give you permission to be rude to me.

I was visiting with the restorative therapist, which has become the lion's share of our sessions over the past couple months (see: my thread on women volunteering to chew my ear off with excessive personal info). As usual, there was some trash talk because that's how friends talk around here. In comes some RN I never met, a big, gruff, 60-ish fellow of Warsaw Pact heritage.
SPOILER:
A classic Chicago Polack with all that slur entails.
He starts talking smack and it continues the rest of the evening, after the RT left, especially about my meds.

Sir, I do not know you and I am sorry that you misunderstood that my friendship with the RT extended to you. She is my friend and has my permission to talk trash with me. You are neither and I prefer that you treat me with dignity, respect, and maybe some formality. I do not care to know you are a gun nut, and was insulted when you said, "a Democrat would have a heart attack" if he saw your collection. Sirrah, you did not establish my political affiliation before speaking ill of me and my fellows. You just saw a 65-yr-old white guy and assumed, wrongly, that I am a fellow Trumpist.

I do not know you and already I do not like you. In the future, please confine all discourse to medical topics, though a semi-formal, "How are you today, Mr zone?" will be acceptable.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:15 PM

Nine and a half hours and 217 views and nobody has taken me to task for such a supercilious attack during National Nurse Week? Does that mean people agree with me? This is uncharted territory.

The new screamer sounds like a goat from a distance. An angry and sad goat.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:42 PM

I really don't like the "friendly" stuff. Do what you gotta do, and get it over with. And being called by my first name irritates me. You assume a level of casual I did not give you.

I don't much care for my first name. People who know me call me by my nickname. Out of the zillions I have known, I have only allowed two people to call me by my first name. Both of them really liked the name, and they just SAID it differently.

Otherwise, don't callme by my first name, unless you are making out a check to me.

~VOW
Old 05-11-2019, 05:58 PM

I always feel like I'm in trouble when I'm addressed by my legal first name as doctors offices and such. The only time Daddy used it was when he was serious, or having to dish up punishment.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:51 PM

I dislike "Mikey" and only 'allow' one person to call me that because when she says it it's cute.

But that isn't what Stosh did that pissed me off, it was the instant familiarity, with swearing. Does he talk like that in front of the Old Dears? I hope not. It's not that I don't swear like a sailor; I just don't do it at work.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

I have a name, and it has a diminutive. That's fine. I hate my given name; but I love the diminutive. It's me.

But in all honesty, most people just call me by the username I have here: Spoons. Never mind why; I'm more likely to respond to that, than to my given name.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
I really don't like the "friendly" stuff. Do what you gotta do, and get it over with. And being called by my first name irritates me. You assume a level of casual I did not give you.
In my case and my mother's case, people getting the name from formal documents will usually get it wrong. If you are getting my firstname from some sort of file, please don't use it.

Last edited by Nava; 05-12-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:15 AM

reminds me of the surgeons visit after my gallbladder removal

it's 4:30 am they did the op around one ..... I've been bombed on morphine since about 15 minutes after I was admitted in the er so I'm recovering in my room asleep and uncomfortable ..... I hear some murmuring and he says "well let's see " and rips off the tape .. which was a real ouch so yeah I'm awake sort of now and he asks about my job..... i told him im disabled and on SSI ..... he gives me a ration of shi- for like 10 minutes saying SSI was a bunch of lazy bums and he didn't see anything wrong with me ect .....i just passed out again and i told the morning nurse later and she says " yeah he's a dick .... theres a reason doctors like him become surgeons "
Old 05-12-2019, 07:50 AM

A newcomer is touring Heaven's medical center's operating theater where they see a surgeon throwing things and abusing the nurses, then waking the patient to make fun of her insurance. The new guy is dumbfounded, asking, "You let surgeons into Heaven?"

St Peter replied, "No, that's God. He just thinks he's a surgeon."
Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I don't much care for my first name. People who know me call me by my nickname. Out of the zillions I have known, I have only allowed two people to call me by my first name. Both of them really liked the name, and they just SAID it differently.

Otherwise, don't callme by my first name, unless you are making out a check to me.

~VOW
Lighten up, Thurman.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 AM

I'm with ya DZ ol'buddy

Seriously though, I do empathize. Political views are a hazard I have to occasionally maneuver around in my job, and racism even more so. wtf is wrong with east coasters that think its ok to spout that shit off here? Take it back home or to eastern washington, you won't find your views popular in southwest Idaho. Also, tipping is an accepted practice in this industry, DO NOT brag to the crew humping your shit into or out of the house about how much money you have and not tip at least twenty each. I've refused bigger tips than that because I couldn't accept a hundred from someone that looked like they needed it more than me you cheap fucking racist pos bastard!

Um, I'm sorry, got distracted, what was the question?

Last edited by DorkVader; 05-12-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
In my case and my mother's case, people getting the name from formal documents will usually get it wrong. If you are getting my firstname from some sort of file, please don't use it.
Very much this.

I usually go by a form of my middle name. It's too much hassle to get a legal change to that, so my first name's on credit cards, medical forms, bank accounts. But it's really really irritating to have a clerk repeat that first name, over and over, when I'm buying something: because it's the wrong name.

The poor clerk's probably been told to do so by a boss who's under the deluded impression that this gives customers a pleasant sense that the store's friends with them. And I'm not going to bother arguing about it, especially when I'm afraid they'll misunderstand me and think I'm saying that's not my credit card. But I very much doubt that anybody's convinced that a large chain enterprise loves them because their clerks can read the name on a card; and, between the people who don't use that name, the ones who use a different form of it, the ones who don't pronounce it the way the clerk does, the ones who want to be called M/x Lastname, and the people who just hate fake familiarity, they're ticking a significant number of people off.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

The poor clerk's probably been told to do so by a boss who's under the deluded impression that this gives customers a pleasant sense that the store's friends with them..
You can blame Dale Carnegie and his book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". He proposed that people love to hear their name, so to ingratiate yourself with someone you should use their name as often as possible.

Maybe it works for some people, but it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:41 PM

It's horribly unnatural, even if the person gets the name right. People in ordinary conversation use the name generally once as part of a greeting, and then maybe if they're making a specific point, or an introduction, or referring to somebody in the third person; but not over and over. They don't say, "Hi, Name! How are you doing today, Name? Do you like that X, Name? Name, what do you think of this feature of the X? Name, how long have you been using X? Some people use Y with X, Name; Name, do you want to try that?"
Old 05-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Walmart policy is officially "CHANT": Customers Have A Name Too. You're supposed to call anyone paying via card or check by their names. Moreso back in the day when people paid with checks and you handed your card to the cashier to run it. Now they won't necessarily know your name. And that hokey forced familiarity might have worked in 60s Arkansas but it turned my Yankee blood cold in the 21st century. Strangers? Addressing me by NAME? Ugh. But it never happened to me in any Walmart I went into, north or south or midwest.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:08 PM

I had been using a massage therapist who would talk, talk, talk my ear off while working my muscles. She did good work but she never shut up the whole time I was there. After three sessions with her, I simply started going elsewhere so I could actually relax the muscles being worked on.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 AM

I don't have much of an opinion about medical personnel being too familiar or store clerks calling me by my first name. I'm a pretty casual individdle, though I do draw the line at blatant discourtesy.

What has me gobsmacked is that no one here has taken exception to the OP's (self admitted) slur against Poles. Not that I'm trying to call you out, dropzone. I'm just shocked that you haven't been piled upon.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 AM

All that talk and no happy ending? Does she think she's your wife?

I'm oldish so cashiers tend to call me Mr zone, which is meet and proper.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
What has me gobsmacked is that no one here has taken exception to the OP's (self admitted) slur against Poles. Not that I'm trying to call you out, dropzone. I'm just shocked that you haven't been piled upon.
I have explained before that, having been married to a Polish woman, I am Polish 'by insertion.' A big, dumb Polak as described is a type familiar to all residents of Chicagoland and Cleveland, and an embarrassment to all. In Berwyn he'd be a big, dumb Bohunk (Bohemian is one of my real ancestries). If he's Irish and being discussed by my in-laws he'd be Pig-Shit Irish, and so on. White people can always find a way to discriminate against each other.

Last edited by dropzone; 05-13-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I have explained before that, having been married to a Polish woman, I am Polish 'by insertion.' A big, dumb Polak as described is a type familiar to all residents of Chicagoland and Cleveland, and an embarrassment to all. In Berwyn he'd be a big, dumb Bohunk (Bohemian is one of my real ancestries). If he's Irish and being discussed by my in-laws he'd be Pig-Shit Irish, and so on. White people can always find a way to discriminate against each other.
I get it; my mother, born and raised in Chicago, never uttered a racial slur in her life EXCEPT about The Polaks. Hee, I haven't heard the nickname"Stosh" in thirty years
Again, I'm not bothered, it's just I've seen people get barbequed here for much less.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 AM

I'm from St Paul, MN where everybody was Swedish or Not so the prejudices my Not mom raised me with were against Swedes and Italians. Before moving here her only contact with Italians was through movies and TV. Never made sense to me, especially since I challenge most anybody to tell the difference between Swedes and Norwegians without seeing their last names. And her BFF here was an Axis-Italian war bride with a hot five-year-old daughter who viewed me with contempt because I was only 4.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I get it; my mother, born and raised in Chicago, never uttered a racial slur in her life EXCEPT about The Polaks. Hee, I haven't heard the nickname"Stosh" in thirty years
Again, I'm not bothered, it's just I've seen people get barbequed here for much less.
Well, I'll get started then . . .

. . . not all [blanks] are [slur]; I just call the bad ones [slur] is not appropriate. And "I'm married to a [slur] so I have a right to call them [slurs]" is not a reasonable justification.

No wonder the guy thought you were a Trumpist, you're more than willing to casually throw around racial slurs, based on which ones you've decided are true, and which ones you've inherited the right to use.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
You can blame Dale Carnegie and his book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". He proposed that people love to hear their name, so to ingratiate yourself with someone you should use their name as often as possible.

Yeah, I'm with you, both in finding it annoying when people who don't know me call me by my name, and also in blaming Carnegie. Grrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I had been using a massage therapist who would talk, talk, talk my ear off while working my muscles. She did good work but she never shut up the whole time I was there. After three sessions with her, I simply started going elsewhere so I could actually relax the muscles being worked on.
he. Everyone is different. I prefer a chatty massage therapist, because I get bored otherwise. Also, I like to know a little about them as a person. Someone being so intimate with my body ought to be someone I have some vague familiarity with.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Everyone is different. I prefer a chatty massage therapist, because I get bored otherwise. Also, I like to know a little about them as a person. Someone being so intimate with my body ought to be someone I have some vague familiarity with.
Interesting. For me, there's a kind of uncanny-valley effect. Someone who's actually intimate with me being intimate with my body (in a form and at a time I'm OK with)? Perfectly fine. Someone who's not intimate with me at all (though I might say hi to them in the grocery, say) being intimate with my body in an appropriate professional fashion and context, such as at the doctor's or dentist's or therapist's? Also perfectly fine.

Someone who's only a casual acquaintance being physically intimate with me, even in an appropriate professional context? Kind of weird. If my neighbor who I talk with casually were one of the options to give me a mammogram, say, or the kind of massage that involves taking off clothes: I'd really rather have a stranger do it.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
No wonder the guy thought you were a Trumpist, you're more than willing to casually throw around racial slurs, based on which ones you've decided are true, and which ones you've inherited the right to use.
First, I did not speak like that in front of him. I did not say much to him at all, having not been properly introduced. My tone in the OP was lofty and lacking contractions because he rolled his eyes at the middle-/upper-middle-class town I grew up in and I felt like playing a snob in this thread.

Second, Polak is not a racial slur because Polish is not a race. Shit, Poland, Bohemia, and Norway, over the past couple centuries, haven't always even been countries; Bohemia is not one now.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post

Oh, I can go one better!

In true military fashion, when you make an appointment for a routine exam, you get whoever is at the top of the list for that day. Odds are, you'll never see that person ever again. Not too bad if you are getting your eyes checked, but for the annual pelvic and Rx for birth control, a woman must establish a particular mindset. Mine was mentioned upthread, "do what you gotta do and get it over with."

The exam began with the typical medical history questions, and then it got to the nitty-gritty. I'm in a paper dress, feet in stirrups, rear end hanging off the end of the table. The doctor is in up to his elbows, then asked, "So how did you like Germany?"

~VOW
Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 PM

I once pissed off an orthopedic surgeon during a follow up by calling him by his first name. I felt thought he was really arrogant and condecending toward me (I was 21 at the time; he was at least fifetysomething), also I was misrable due to the leg brace I had to wear and the moblity issues. So when I called him by his first name during the example he got very indignant and he it was Doctor Lastname and that he didn't give me permisson to use his first name. He didn't have a response that I never said he could use my first name either. The nurse and med student in the room looked like they were biting their lips to keep from laughing or smirking. Naturally my mother was applalled (at me) when she found out afterwards. He did address me as Mr. ____ afterward though, with a bit of an emphasis on Mr.

Quote:
It's horribly unnatural, even if the person gets the name right. People in ordinary conversation use the name generally once as part of a greeting, and then maybe if they're making a specific point, or an introduction, or referring to somebody in the third person; but not over and over. They don't say, "Hi, Name! How are you doing today, Name? Do you like that X, Name? Name, what do you think of this feature of the X? Name, how long have you been using X? Some people use Y with X, Name; Name, do you want to try that?"
This is a constant back and forth between Operations and Quality in the call center I work for. Once upon a time the rule was to use the caller's name at least 3 times during the call (beginning, middle, & end); then it shifted to a vague directive to use the caller's name "throughout the call" which Quality refusing to be more specific and it's resulting in good CSRs being so concerned out their scores they do stuff like use the caller's name every time they address the caller, no matter how weird & unnatural that sounds. It get's even worse when you factor in that most of our CSRs are overseas now.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Everyone is different. I prefer a chatty massage therapist, because I get bored otherwise. Also, I like to know a little about them as a person. Someone being so intimate with my body ought to be someone I have some vague familiarity with.
Quote:
Interesting. For me, there's a kind of uncanny-valley effect. Someone who's actually intimate with me being intimate with my body (in a form and at a time I'm OK with)? Perfectly fine. Someone who's not intimate with me at all (though I might say hi to them in the grocery, say) being intimate with my body in an appropriate professional fashion and context, such as at the doctor's or dentist's or therapist's? Also perfectly fine.

Someone who's only a casual acquaintance being physically intimate with me, even in an appropriate professional context? Kind of weird. If my neighbor who I talk with casually were one of the options to give me a mammogram, say, or the kind of massage that involves taking off clothes: I'd really rather have a stranger do it.
I think which direction it goes has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't want someone I was already acquainted with becoming my massage therapist or urologist or anyone else who was going to touch me in intimate ways in a professional manner.

But if I see a health professional frequently enough over time to start to get to know them, I don't have a problem with that, even if part of their job involves handling personal areas of my body.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post

I blame Carnegie and his ilk also for service workers with nametags. Yes, people do like it when the folks at the store call us by name because we happen to know end trust each other, not because you're reading it off a file. Yes, people do like buying in places where we know the name of the waiters or the salespeople because we happen to know and trust each other, not because we're reading a nametag.

There are a lot of people I know whom I do not trust. Having them call me by my firstname doesn't make me like them any better, not when I already have good reason to make sure they can't tell where my wallet is.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:01 AM

If I'm at a hotel I will never go back to, I don't care for the name tags, because I don't really care what your name is. I guess it's slightly helpful if I want to get your attention. But if it's a place I go regularly, name tags are a way to learn the employees' names. I'm not going to ask the clerk in the coffee shop her name frequently enough for me to learn it (that's at least 4 times) but if they wear name tags, I do learn the names of the ones I interact with regularly.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Lighten up, Thurman.
No. When I was younger, it was tolerable. But now that the population is so DAMNED young, they can eke out a measure of respect for me. I'm PAYING for whatever service they are providing, they can respect my money.

I choose my friends. And I give them my nickname to use.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 05-14-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 PM

You know I'm such a freaky person I don't want anyone calling my name out loud in public. It's just another invasion of my need to be invisible. And, God don't touch me, I may just die. It's a mental illness. I totally know it, but I can't feel comfortable out in the mean ol' world. I work on it everyday. So far to limited success.
Someone here has encouraged me to step out of my cocoon a bit. I was able to get my hair cut without dying. There were tears, I admit. I was also able to go back in the library and take some pics of the mural I painted. It took me a week. But I got the pics.
(Thanks, Mike)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 PM

It's Mikey in your case, and what are friends for? And the mural looks stupendous.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 PM

This may still sound strange, but when I get a massage from my massage therapist wife it’s completely non-sexual. As long as I’m on the table, I’m no different than any other client.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
It's Mikey in your case, and what are friends for? And the mural looks stupendous.
Thank you, Mikey.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
This may still sound strange, but when I get a massage from my massage therapist wife itís completely non-sexual. As long as Iím on the table, Iím no different than any other client.
OTOH, I have a friend thatís a legitimate massage therapist, but her husband always gets the ďhappy endingĒ.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

~VOW
Boy howdy. My surgeon has seen the inside of my femur. He has, with terrific skill and care, assaulted me with a hammer and various surgical steel tools. Lovely fellow. Really enjoy him. His first name is Daniel.

He has never called me Cartooniverse. And I'd never call him Daniel.

Because it's a professional relationship- even though it includes a morning of remarkable intimacy in terms of rooting around in my body.

Nobody gets to presume a level of comfort or intimacy without being invited into that area. That person in the O.P. has no business working around patients.

I was an E.M.T. for a while. I'd do a call, and unless A) The patient was unconscious and B) Someone nearby told me their first name and C) I was yelling it to ascertain a level of consciousness, I would never address someone by their first name.

No wait. I did once. A girl who know me, and I knew her, a classmate of The Fem-Botô. 5th grade. Got sideswiped by a car while riding her bike home. Broke her leg in a fairly clean manner. I addressed her by her first name. Cause she knew me. And cause she was ten.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I don't have much of an opinion about medical personnel being too familiar or store clerks calling me by my first name. I'm a pretty casual individdle, though I do draw the line at blatant discourtesy.
I do, depending on the circumstances.

More than once, while hospitalized, a doctor has come into my room, a doctor I've never seen before, but who is presumably there for some legitimate reason (and who will certainly send me a bill), looked at the chart, and called me by my first name. When I respond in kind (after looking at the ID card that's always around the neck or on the belt), saying something like "why, yes, Bob, the knee does still hurt, which is not surprising, given that five or six hours ago, it had a metal spike through it," said doctor (let's call him "Bob") would get totally bent out of shape that I wasn't addressing him as "Doctor [last name]."

Whatever. You call me by my first name, I get to call you by your first name. That's all.