Old 05-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Game of Thrones 8.05 "The Bells" 5/12/19 [Show discussion]

This is for show discussion with the show as its own entity. No book talk. Using book knowledge to guess about the ending of the show is the perfect thing to discuss in this show/book thread, not this one.

Open spoilers about the show once it begins airing on the east coast/streaming in a few hours. If you have an actual spoiler (taken from leaks from cast interviews or gossip magazines or whatever) that would be an appropriate use for a spoiler box. A few of us would prefer that if you want to talk about plot points revealed in "next week on..." promos you warn people that you'll be discussing that first. Thank you.

Previous thread (with links to previous seasons found in the first OP of the season):

8.01 "Winterfell"
8.02 "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms"
8.03 "The Long Night"
8.04 "The Last of the Starks"

Show/book open spoilers discussion thread
Old 05-12-2019, 05:11 PM

It occurs to me that HBO may have made a minor strategy mistake with their timing and 6 episode schedule. Or I guess you could call it consumer friendly.

I subscribed to HBO Now on April 14th, the day of episode 1. You get a week of free trial, and then a month of the subscription... so my sub ends on May 21, 2 days after the last episode of the season. I suspect there's a sizable amount of people who did this, so by not squeezing out 7 episodes, everyone can get the whole final season in one HBO Now month, rather than two.

Although I may not cancel anyway, HBO Now is actually pretty nice.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post

Stick around and watch The Wire, Deadwood Rome, and The Sopranos if you haven't already. Though I think they're all on Amazon Prime, too, unlike GoT.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
It occurs to me that HBO may have made a minor strategy mistake with their timing and 6 episode schedule. Or I guess you could call it consumer friendly.

I subscribed to HBO Now on April 14th, the day of episode 1. You get a week of free trial, and then a month of the subscription... so my sub ends on May 21, 2 days after the last episode of the season. I suspect there's a sizable amount of people who did this, so by not squeezing out 7 episodes, everyone can get the whole final season in one HBO Now month, rather than two.

We like it, too. But we'll probably cancel it after the Deadwood movie (May 31, I believe), since we'll have seen everything we're most interested in two or three times.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:18 PM

I am so torn with this show now.
I have been thinking of the different outcomes and I came to the conclusion that none of them would make me happy.

Would I happy if Cersei ends in the throne? No.
Would I be happy if John ends in the throne, meaning that Danny was killed along the way? No.
Would I be happy if Danny ends in the throne? No, because John is the real heir and the have the feeling that the Starks would have a word about it but we wouldnt get to see that.
Would I be happy if someone else ends in the throne? No, because it wouldnt make any sense for that to happen...

Im so conflicted...
Old 05-12-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
I am so torn with this show now.
I have been thinking of the different outcomes and I came to the conclusion that none of them would make me happy.

Would I happy if Cersei ends in the throne? No.
Would I be happy if John ends in the throne, meaning that Danny was killed along the way? No.
Would I be happy if Danny ends in the throne? No, because John is the real heir and the have the feeling that the Starks would have a word about it but we wouldnt get to see that.
Would I be happy if someone else ends in the throne? No, because it wouldnt make any sense for that to happen...

Im so conflicted...
Other options are that Jon and Dany share the throne, that Jon ends on the throne but Dany is not killed, and that the wheel is actually broken, leaving no throne for anybody.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM

The sturm und drang over this season is nuts.

General opinions

Ep 1: Pretty good
Ep 2: One of the best eps of the entire series
ep 3: Couldnt see it, but a lot of spectacle. (Personally i loved it)

Ep 4: THE WHOLE SHOW HAS GONE OFF THE RAILS THIS SHOW SUCKS WHATS GOING ON???????

Jeez...it was just one bad ep people. (And again i loved it too)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Other options are that Jon and Dany share the throne, that Jon ends on the throne but Dany is not killed, and that the wheel is actually broken, leaving no throne for anybody.
Cersei dies. We probably see that area Jon and Dany visited again. Euron dies. Varys dies.

These are the only things im counting on.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
I think my point is that no matter what the outcome is I will probably wont be happy with it.
I dont know why or how I got this state of mind with this show.
It seems because the show is ending and that bothers me. Silly I know.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Watching it now. Dude, that is how Varys dies? Man, frustrating.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Everyone seems to be trying to get themselves killed, either in battle or by execution. So that remains consistent.

And yes, exactly Dany -- you attack from the direction of the sun so they are blinded until you're on top of them. Eurion obviously expected that she would not be smart enough to do that.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-12-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Mad "Queen" Dany.

Uh, so everyone's faith in her was not correct.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

No, it's fine, Cercei. Just stand there and look out the window.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Jon: "Danaey... are we the baddies?"
Old 05-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Jon: "Danaey... are we the baddies?"
I literally just said this to my wife.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Ugh, lots to take in.

Did Jamie and Cercei die?
Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Ugh, lots to take in.

They could be alive. People survive entire castles falling on top of them every day.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

My death list for this episode is:

Varys
Qyburn
Gregor Clegane
Sandor Clegane
Euron

Cercei?
Jamie?

Accurate?
Old 05-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Well that was about what I expected.

The pale horse was a bit on the nose.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 PM

On first thought, great episode! Jon's definitely going to kill Dany next episode. Who died? Varys, Cersei and Jaime, Qyburn, the Clegane family, the entire Golden Company and Lannister army, and every Dany fan's hopes and dreams. I lost track of Tyrion after the carnival of horrors started. And Grey Worm went pretty "Mad General" himself. Man, King's Landing is toast. "Queen of the Ashes" isn't metaphorical in the slightest.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Ugh, lots to take in.

Yes, and if were taking bets on this episodes title Im going with Last of the Lannisters.

Which would make the final episode may be L- - T-.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:28 PM

Oh yeah, and Urine Greyjoy.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:28 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Those Targaryen rulers! You never know what you're gonna get. Another Aegon I or another Maegor. Another Aegon V "the good" or another Aerys "the mad".
Old 05-12-2019, 09:30 PM

Sweet Jesus

I mean seriously that was fucking over the top insane, but I loved it.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:30 PM

So there was wildfire buried around King's Landing, but it seemed completely pointless and inconsequential compared to what Dany was doing. Also apparently dragon fire doesn't melt stone anymore, now it just explodes.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Accurate?
+750k KL residents.

While watching, my recurring thought was, "would it kill them to write some dialog?" It's entirely visuals. Seriously, it's all grunts and "over here! Keep moving!" and stuff. GOT used to have amazing dialog. They storyboarded this whole ep as camera shots and forgot to let the actors speak to each other.

Last edited by squeegee; 05-12-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:34 PM

Ok, I admit, I was totally 100% wrong. I didn't think they'd have the balls to do that. Wow.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:35 PM

So my one confusion was how did that many Dothraki survive?
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
+750k KL residents.

While watching, my recurring thought was, "would it kill them to write some dialog?" It's entirely visuals. Seriously, it's all grunts and "over here! Keep moving!" and stuff. GOT used to have amazing dialog.
We had closed captioning on. Lots of background dialogue appeared that was completely inaudible to us. But it was rather derivative. Stuff like "where's my wife! Help me find my wife!" and "Run Away . . ." Etc.

Looks like Bran is gonna be warging a dragon after all.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:36 PM

Ok last week when I said "Burn them all.".....I didn't mean ALLLLLL Dany. Jesus, learn the definition of hyperbole.

And yes, like someone else said....seeing the wildfire go up was kinda funny.

Also...as I've said before..."Fuck prophecy."...unless Cersei is still alive somehow.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:37 PM

I liked this episode, I'm glad they had the balls to go there. Also there was nothing that immediately jumped out as completely stupid like the last couple.

I dunno man, I was bored the entire episode.

I wish Jaime had been going to kill Cersei. What's his arc now? Clegane bowl was lame, especially with the music at the death. Scorpions sure have different effectiveness from episode to episode, eh?

Dany going Mad Queen was pretty obvious, but it seems like her destruction of the city was a bit over the top, no?

Also....uhm...Team Dany for the win? I guess that was a win? Feels good to back the winner.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
So there was wildfire buried around King's Landing, but it seemed completely pointless and inconsequential compared to what Dany was doing. Also apparently dragon fire doesn't melt stone anymore, now it just explodes.
Yeah, for a minute I expected Cersei to set off a wildfire doomsday device, but apparently the boon of the Blackwater and doom of the Sept of Baelor is puny compared to a rampaging dragon.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post

I wish Jaime had been going to kill Cersei. What's his arc now? Clegane bowl was lame, especially with the music at the death. Scorpions sure have different effectiveness from episode to episode, eh?

Dany going Mad Queen was pretty obvious, but it seems like her destruction of the city was a bit over the top, no?
"Bring me to the Iron Throne!!...well dig it up!! What? Make a new one then!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Also....uhm...Team Dany for the win? I guess that was a win? Feels good to back the winner.
Cept for Bronn, he backed the winner for no reason now that Jamie is dead and Tyrion probably in serious trouble.

Well Daernerys is her father's daughter after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
They could be alive. People survive entire castles falling on top of them every day.
It's frustrating that we don't actually see them die, and I imagine Daernerys will be obsessed with finding Cersei's body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Yeah, with the wildfire catches I was expecting a Medieval Hiroshima; instead we got a Medieval Dresden.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:40 PM

I don't normally attack storytelling choices, but Dany's actions were out of character. I know they were building to this, but it doesn't make sense to wait for the surrender, hear the surrender and then just decide, "You know I think I'll just kill so indiscriminately that even my own army retreats from me."

Varys was out of character as well. Very unlike him to leave himself vulnerable to getting snitched on. Old Varys would never have confided in Tyrion unless he knew it was where Tyrion already wanted to go.

Cleganebowl delivered though. And I'd bet that actor has the role of Jason in the next Friday the 13th movie sewn up if he wants it.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The pale horse was a bit on the nose.
I practically said that out loud. "And on a pale horse, Death."

When I saw that little girl with the wooden horse before the start of the battle, I said "Shireen. Oh God." And I was not wrong.

The Red God does like his burned offerings.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to repeat my horrific "prediction" from last week....part of it kind of came true...

Quote:
have Dany go "mad Queen" and become a crazy vengeance-fueled maniac? She insists they attack the city, killing all the innocents along the way, like a total wipeout type thing. Jon Snow realizes this is insane and agrees to take her out, something Tyrion and Varys are clearly thinking might be necessary.

Cue dramatic scene: Jon tells Dany she must stop and turn back. "You're tearing me apart, Dany!" or something like that. She doesn't care. John has to kill Dany in order to stop her from wiping out a bunch of innocents.

Someone else kills Cercei and her hand(and Euron or whatever his name is). John is clearly the one to become king.

But....he turns it down! "I never wanted it! I won't take it." He heads to the far North, leaving Westeros.

Tyrion or Sansa becomes king/queen, though I think Tyrion is more likely since Sansa has betrayed John.

OK, so I made all that up, but it requires them to totally ruin Dany, a character they spent the entire show building up to be good(and sane!).
So yeah, they are going to ruin Dany.

Quote:

Jaime and (probably) Cersei are dead. I was mad that Jaime went back, but I think that last scene completed his arc nicely. He didn't go bad on us, but he did go back to Cersei and had what I thought was the most touching moment you can get in an incest storyline.

Bronn...we've decided to give you Kings Landing.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I wish Jaime had been going to kill Cersei. What's his arc now?
That he tried his best to be a good person, but couldn't shake his love for Cersei. Feels more real than some 'arc' idea where he kills that love.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:45 PM

Dany has been murdering prisoners for seasons now. She was never good and sane (completely).
Old 05-12-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That he tried his best to be a good person, but couldn't shake his love for Cersei. Feels more real than some 'arc' idea where he kills that love.
Knowing what Cersei's done, killing that love is the obvious sensical thing.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

LOL, Dale Sams Bronn will be thrilled.

Someone else had it called from a while back: Queen of Nothing and Ashes.

And Gorsnak is right, resistance to having a whole building dropped on you or your ship blasted apart seems to be bred into these noble houses. So who knows who could be seen slinking around the background in the finale.

The thing to see I suppose is how Dany reacts if half her remaining army now says, "um... y'know what? We're heading back North now to mind our own business while you mind yours, was good knowing ya"...

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-12-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Up until the bell ringing, it was all military targets. Wonder how the scorpions went from super fast firing and deadly to slow loading and useless.
Dany could have certainly just headed for the keep, but she made the mad king look like a paragon of sanity. If she is queen, it is queen of ashes.
I guess we see that dragonfire affects stone, but damn! (and the wildfire certainly didn't help)
FYI, close captioning says the woman who helped Arya get up was named Nora.

Will Jon, or perhaps Arya, kill Dany? I don't see how Jon accepts her now, even with his lawful stupidity.

Brian
Old 05-12-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

That was horrific. 90 minutes of that was too much.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
I don't normally attack storytelling choices, but Dany's actions were out of character. I know they were building to this, but it doesn't make sense to wait for the surrender, hear the surrender and then just decide, "You know I think I'll just kill so indiscriminately that even my own army retreats from me."
I think she just told them what they wanted to hear, Grey Worm did not look like he gave a fuck when Tyrion told him to cancel the attack if they heard the bells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Varys was out of character as well. Very unlike him to leave himself vulnerable to getting snitched on. Old Varys would never have confided in Tyrion unless he knew it was where Tyrion already wanted to go.
I think he just sacrificed himself to push Tyrion over the edge, dude like him had to know the way things worked and now Sansa has eliminated both Tyrion and Varys. Varys dead and Tyrion pretty much on her hit list for releasing Jaime. I would say that Littlefinger did his job well.