Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupwalla View Post
Could he ever?
The Red God resurrected every single person on the show that we've seen be resurrected (Beric and Jon).
Old 05-13-2019, 08:39 AM

So was THIS the third 'oh shit moment'? Cause if not, im kind of scared.

Cue Bran warging into Drogan, roasting everyone and taking the throne as his eyes turn blue.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
The Red God resurrected every single person on the show that we've seen be resurrected (Beric and Jon).
Not counting wights and Frankenmountain?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Great episode if I hadn't seen the early seasons of GoT, but the tropes that continue to be rolled out just take me out of it:

1. Varys being dumbed down since the source material ran out.
I really didn't see him as being dumbed down at all. He saw what was happened, and he correctly knew it was all going to be a disaster, and he was trying to do something about it, but it didn't work. What the hell else could he have done?

At the end, he died bravely and nobly. He did was was right, hopeless though the effort was, and when he was betrayed he walked to his death with his head high. His final words were so good.

Quote:
2. BIG ONE: Dany's quick change from being really paranoid to just deciding to burn down the entire city
I've thought for years she was insane. She has always been held in check by her advisors and by the fact helping people was in her interest. Neither of those things were true anymore.

How many times has Targaryen insanity been foreshadowed? A hundred? TWO hundred? How many times have Tyrion or Varys or someone else had to hold her back? How many times has she refused any sort of compromise? Daenerys Targaryen has always been a wannabe tyrant. She has always had a Messianic complex. All her support systems have shrivelled up. For a full season she's wanted to kill and burn and lay waste and she had to be coaxed into every compromise. You could see the fury bubbling underneath the whole time.

Quote:
3. BIGGEST ONE: Euron showing up on the beach that Jamie wound up on, AND of course they fight to the death, AND of course Jamie received a mortal wound, AND of course, well it turns out it's not quite fatal, so he crawls to a sword while Euron watches and ends up killing Euron with it. And then gets up like nothing happened and walks up tons of stairs to magically run into Cersei.
I hate everything about anyone named "Greyjoy" so I'm with you here.

My only really huge problem was Cersei. She was utterly beaten and useless; no tricks up her sleeve at all. I mean, that's not unrealistic; she expected her armies to win, and they didn't, but it would have made for a better episode if she had some evil trick and THAT is what triggered Daenerys.

There are a lot of obvious problems as the story barrels towards a conclusion in what is really not enough time to do it justice, but that was a great episode of television, because like all good entertainment it evoked emotion. The scene between Tyrion and Jaime was incredibly poignant. There was a palpable sense of dread before the battle started. The burning of the city was incredibly horrifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak
Tyrion has certainly failed, but I don't think anyone who "outsmarted" him is better off than they would have been by following his advice.
No one outsmarted Tyrion. He failed, but what happened was out of anyone's control except Daenerys, and maybe not even her because she is nuttier than elephant shit. For all everyone has played the Game of Thrones, really things just fall to shit; if there is a theme to this story, that's the theme. They are all prisoners of a horrible, brutal system. Jon called it: all anyone knows is a shit world and Daenerys couldn't "burn cities and melt castles" and expect to be any different, and as it turns out she wasn't and it's the same as it ever was. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-13-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Not counting wights and Frankenmountain?
Gregor never died, so he can't be resurrected.

Wights... yeah, sure. But you knew what I meant so good job.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
I LITERALLY thought this 'if the bells ring, back off' thing was going to just be another dumb Tyrion idea that blew up in his face. So I can't blame Dany for thinking the same thing.

Also...we did revolutionize ship-to-ship combat. That was something. They can't take THAT away from us. There IS a copy of the schematic somewhere, yes?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 AM

So who ordered the bells to be rung? Jaime hadn't met Cersei to tell her.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 AM

What was up with the weird ass helmets the Lannister forces had? I don't think they wore those before.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
You people don't seriously believe Jaime and Cersei are dead, do you?

Really?
They'll just find Jaime's golden hand in the wreckage, and declare them dead, thus setting up a far inferior sequel series.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
What was up with the weird ass helmets the Lannister forces had? I don't think they wore those before.
They did. It's been their signature helmet since season 1. See Syrio Forel's last stand for an example.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Cersei died...on Mother's Day
Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 AM

So, I actually thought the telegraphing of Dany going bad was SO obvious, that they absolutely weren't going to do it.

When she started nuking everything my jaw dropped. Felt like a dream. I seriously thought it was going to end with Jon waking up in a cold sweat.

I know poor George didn't get nearly this much time, but this felt like a much better Darth Vader origin story than he did. The clues have already been there in 1) She's always been a power hungry with merciless evil streak hidden under a sheen of civility and 2) Targaryans just go mad. It's their thing (Jon survived the coin flip). She had a perfect storm that made her snap. I do NOT think it was out of character.

As soon as she started nuking stuff, I felt it totally unnecessary for somebody to go off Cersei. Dany's the big bad now. If she doesn't die, I won't be happy, but I CAN see her winning. However, since Arya escaped, I think she will be assassinated, or killed by someone else. No way Arya's gonna let that fly. She saw the Dany's destruction first hand.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM

So, in general, I think they did a good job of showing the transition to the mad queen. Time and time again they showed her wanting to be brutal, and sometimes getting her way (crucifying the masters for example) but most of the time her advisors reeled her in. Then her advisors/friends were taken away from her, one by one, and she was in a new place where she felt like she had no support or love. She tried to do the right thing - fighting for the living against the dead - and was betrayed for doing so. And then she was successful, but felt like she gained no support or credit for it despite sacrificing a dragon, half her armies, her best friend, etc.

When Missandei is killed, by the woman who betrayed her when Dany was trying to do the right thing, the woman she had spared because her advisor kept preaching mercy over and over again, she was completely justified in losing her shit. If she had gone right then and there and burned the city to the ground, it would've rung true emotionally.

However. She then attacks the city, very successfully. She's brutal, she burns the armies and the walls and the defenses of the city, but this is all justified as military targets. Her attack is wildly successful, her armies overwhelm the city, and the city surrenders. Great. With you so far.

And then.... she just decides to go mad. Right at the moment of her victory. I'm not saying this is implausible, but narratively, they need some sort of triggering event. Something that makes her lose her shit in the moment.

For example - maybe she catches a glimpse of Cersei escaping with Jaime. She realizes that Tyrion set Jaime free, and assumes it was for the purpose of saving Cersei's life or perhaps using Jaime's military skill to win the battle. She would feel justifiably betrayed that her last advisor was working for her enemies all along, which she had suspected. And she basically says fuck it, fuck this, fuck everything, and burns it all.

Or perhaps rumors/reveal that Jon is Aegon Targaryen get out among the northern armies, and when the victory is won, the northern armies begin to rally around Jon and declare him King of the Seven Kingdoms and try to install him on the iron throne. She sees this, realizes that after all she's done to realize her life dream, her destiny, Jon may end up stealing it away at the last moment. So she loses her shit, burns the city, and the northern armies and Jon too. This would've been totally narratively justified, in character, and gave us a well-earned shock.

But instead, what just get her realizing she's won... and just sort of deciding at that point for no reason that's apparent to the viewer to lose her shit. And the viewer is left saying "huh? Why is she deciding to go mad queen right now?" rather than "oh shit, what a well-earned twist!"

The fact that I could come up with these superior alternative narratives right off the top of my head, and the writers, who had months to write this, basically just didn't bother to write anything for that crucial moment, seems crazy and lazy.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
This made me laugh. I'm imagining Digi as an Unsullied... ankle deep in Roasted Kid Ash...asking that question.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
And then.... she just decides to go mad. Right at the moment of her victory. I'm not saying this is implausible, but narratively, they need some sort of triggering event. Something that makes her lose her shit in the moment.
I think she had her mind made up to nuke the city before they even got there. Probably from the moment Missandei said "Dracarys." If anything she was being tugged by the light to show restraint before the bells rang, then the darkness took over once again.

Could they have made that more obvious? Yeah. Something like the voices going through her head like in the recap maybe would have been helpful for the audience, but really, they were hinting towards this so obviously that I thought subverting expectations would be her NOT going mad.

Last edited by Ashtura; 05-13-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
and rules of GOT is that if not seen killed, then not dead...
Like Stannis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauplius View Post
Cersei died...on Mother's Day
While pregnant!
Old 05-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
It's their thing (Jon survived the coin flip). She had a perfect storm that made her snap.
It is worth noting that Daenerys is a full, incest-created Targaryen; her parents were Aerys II and Rhaella, Aerys II's sister.

Jon, of course, is not; he is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-13-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It is worth noting that Daenerys is a full, incest-created Targaryen; her parents were Aerys II and Rhaella, Aerys II's sister.

GoT lessons: Incest is bad. Climate Change is coming and nukes are bad. Got it. Subtle.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Nature and nurture. He was raised by Ned Stark as a bastard who should keep his head down and not expect much. She was raised by (or with) her nutty brother with bedtime stories of the revenge he would wreak on those who had betrayed them.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Irony: Varys secretly helped Daenerys when the Baratheon-Lannisters were on the throne
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I think she had her mind made up to nuke the city before they even got there. Probably from the moment Missandei said "Dracarys." If anything she was being tugged by the light to show restraint before the bells rang, then the darkness took over once again.

Could they have made that more obvious? Yeah. Something like the voices going through her head like in the recap maybe would have been helpful for the audience, but really, they were hinting towards this so obviously that I thought subverting expectations would be her NOT going mad.
I think this is it - her mind was made up before she got there. When she's sitting on the dragon as the bells are ringing, you could see her bloodlust was high. She was angry and exhilarated and glaring at the Red Keep where she knew Cersei was. This was Daenerys without a governor. Jorah is dead. Missandei is dead. Jon has pulled away from her. Grey Worm also wants to burn them all. So, dracarys it is.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Also, notice again that Jon had essentially no effect on the outcome of another battle?
Of course he did. Jon is the only reason that army could even have been there. No Jon, no alliance, no army at the gates.

Amateurs discuss tactics. Professionals discuss logistics.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
My only really huge problem was Cersei. She was utterly beaten and useless; no tricks up her sleeve at all. I mean, that's not unrealistic; she expected her armies to win, and they didn't, but it would have made for a better episode if she had some evil trick and THAT is what triggered Daenerys.
She did. We saw it last week.

From a storytelling standpoint, I think it would be problematic if Cersei had a villains death. It would have made Dany seem just in her rage. We would have been a little too sympathetic. If we are to end with any sympathy at all for Dany, it will be next week when she faces her own death.

And thematically, I am comfortable with the last of the Lannister twins. Martin has said that every villain is a hero when viewed from the other side. (Though he doesnt strictly follow that in his writing). Thats part of why the story has such complex, grey characters. The dashing hero who topples a failed dynasty is a usurper to his vanquished rivals.

In their own minds, Cersei and Jaime were the tragic romantic heroes of their own story. They died like Aida and Radames, which has its own kind of scary beauty.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:00 AM

The pale horse that Arya rides off on is the same horse that the late leader of the Golden Company was on. Very distinctive nose markings. We saw the horse get knocked down when the gates blew down behind the GC, but it must have survived.

It's GoT, they didn't re-use the same horse because they couldn't afford two horses. On the other hand, I can't see how the horse is going to do anything in the one episode that's left.

So I guess it's just an Easter egg for people who were paying attention.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 AM

What was it that Tyrion wanted Davos to smuggle for him?

The boat for Jamie and Cersei?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:10 AM

if the Golden Company was a current baseball team they would be the Miami Marlins .
Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 AM

Wow, having read a reddit thread, I now realise that the reason Varys was annoyed that Danerys wasn't eating, was that he was trying to poison her...
Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Like most apparently I expect now that Arya will murder Danaerys (or maybe she'll commit suicide? Seems a posibility because she isn't evil at heart, and despite her "then it will be fear" statement, I think she won't forgive herself for what she has done). What will happen to Jon? I would guess the night watch (might be another Night King in one thousand years, who knows?) or turning widling.

It seems to me that now Sansa has a good shot at the throne (and she's basically the last woman standing, since I take as granted that Danaerys is a goner), and a new marriage with Tyrion wouldn't surprise me.
My prediction:
Dany rightly perceives Sansa as her betrayer and most dangerous rival and flies north with intent to nuke Winterfell.
Bran does some Vulcan mind-melding with Drogon, which gives the heartbroken Ser Brienne opportunity to slay herself a dragon as revenge for her lost love, of course, dying heroically in the process, gasping out her sworn oath to the Starks one last time (cue swelling music and tugged heartstrings).
Dany ragefully rushes Bran and gets choked to death by Mr. Tree.
Arya shows up to tell Gendry that she's had enough of the assassin life and is ready to settle down and be a Lady.
Jon and Tyrion pick up the pieces in Kings Landing and put together a new constitutional monarchy with its capital at Highgarden, where Bronn is sworn in as new Lord Mayor.
Kings Landing is left as a ruin.
Jon rules a long time, but dies without issue, leaving King Gendry as the first monarch of the House Stargarython dynasty.

Eh...no worse than any other likely outcomes...
Prove me wrong.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
What was it that Tyrion wanted Davos to smuggle for him?

The boat for Jamie and Cersei?
Pretty sure Davos smuggled Jaime into King's Landing. And yeah, probably the boat, too.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Oh, that reminds me, when did Davos become the "world's greatest smuggler"? It felt as out of left field to me as Sansa being the smartest person Arya has ever known.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
I think this is it - her mind was made up before she got there. When she's sitting on the dragon as the bells are ringing, you could see her bloodlust was high. She was angry and exhilarated and glaring at the Red Keep where she knew Cersei was. This was Daenerys without a governor. Jorah is dead. Missandei is dead. Jon has pulled away from her. Grey Worm also wants to burn them all. So, dracarys it is.
It would be one thing if her rage led her to shoot for the Red Keep and kill Cersei. But instead, she started torching the city, street-by-street, building-by-building. What led her to do that?
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
If you mean the soldiers at the gates of the city, that was the Golden Company's weird ass helmets.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Oh, that reminds me, when did Davos become the "world's greatest smuggler"? It felt as out of left field to me as Sansa being the smartest person Arya has ever known.
That's his backstory. He was a smuggler, and when the Tyrells were starving out Stannis and Storm's end during Robert's Rebellion, Davos smuggled onions into the city to keep them from starving. For this, Stannis cut off Davos's fingertips for breaking the law, and then also gave him a lordship as reward for saving Storm's End. Davos chose an onion as his sigil, and that's why he's also sometimes called "The Onion Knight". He also smuggled Mellisandre and her shadow baby into the sewers beneath Storm's End during the War of the Five Kings.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

Quote:
That is his profession, from about season 2.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
It would be one thing if her rage led her to shoot for the Red Keep and kill Cersei. But instead, she started torching the city, street-by-street, building-by-building. What led her to do that?
She kept saying that the folks in King's Landing were siding with Cersei because they weren't rioting in the streets and agitating for Dany to be Queen and Tyrion had to remind her that they were afraid. So I can easily see her going back to that idea that everyone was complicit.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
If you mean the soldiers at the gates of the city, that was the Golden Company's weird ass helmets.
No, I mean the Lannisters inside the city. I guess I just never noticed those visors covering their eyes hinged outwards like wings. It looked weird to me.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus alba View Post
My prediction:
Dany rightly perceives Sansa as her betrayer and most dangerous rival and flies north with intent to nuke Winterfell.
Bran does some Vulcan mind-melding with Drogon, which gives the heartbroken Ser Brienne opportunity to slay herself a dragon as revenge for her lost love, of course, dying heroically in the process, gasping out her sworn oath to the Starks one last time (cue swelling music and tugged heartstrings).
Dany ragefully rushes Bran and gets choked to death by Mr. Tree.
Arya shows up to tell Gendry that she's had enough of the assassin life and is ready to settle down and be a Lady.
Jon and Tyrion pick up the pieces in Kings Landing and put together a new constitutional monarchy with its capital at Highgarden, where Bronn is sworn in as new Lord Mayor.
Kings Landing is left as a ruin.
Jon rules a long time, but dies without issue, leaving King Gendry as the first monarch of the House Stargarython dynasty.

Eh...no worse than any other likely outcomes...
Prove me wrong.
Jaimes hand is found in the rubble. At this point Tyrion is no more inclined to justify his actions then Dany will be. He dies a very anti-climatic death and because he backed the wrong horse (not that there is a right one) he wont give a shit.

Millions of people moan on Twitter. The Burlington Bar people who are probably very conflicted by the last ep will be even more confused.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM

While not a STRAIGHT metaphor for American jingoism (This is a character driven show and not as much a metaphor driven one) its so very AMERICAN that the reaction to this ep and DnDs scathing indictment of war, and not knowing you're backing the wrong horse (we will see more of that next ep)....is that the general public reaction to this ep is "BuT JaimEEss arc!!"

Last edited by Dale Sams; 05-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
Tyrion and Davos are dead men if they aren't smart enough to get the hell out of there. So, Tyrion will probably stick around. Davos may think Jon can save him, though.
There are no bread crumbs that I see that lead to Davos. He told Tyrion how to access the castle, and probably arranged for the boat, but how would anyone think to ask that that even happened? Hell, they aren't likely to find Cersei and Jamie's bodies, buried under tons of rock.

Quote:
If you want someone to do you a favor that could conceivably get them burned alive, a little flattery is never out of line. And I belive it is established that he is at least a very good smuggler.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
By the way, what is the significance of the "pale horse"? It vaguely rings a bell, but nothing more...
It's from that song from the 80s:

"I'm Arya, on a pale horse I ride
Dany's wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive"
Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
By the way, what is the significance of the "pale horse"? It vaguely rings a bell, but nothing more...
Book of Revelation 6:8a (KJV - because it's poetic):
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Of course he did. Jon is the only reason that army could even have been there. No Jon, no alliance, no army at the gates.

Amateurs discuss tactics. Professionals discuss logistics.
Eh, even if the army had never shown up, the result would have played out the same way. Dragon single-handedly wipes out the iron fleet, all the castle ballista, and then the red keep. Jon's army accomplished absolutely nothing to that outcome - all the castle defenders they fought would have been torched anyway.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupwalla View Post
In their own minds, Cersei and Jaime were the tragic romantic heroes of their own story. They died like Aida and Radames, which has its own kind of scary beauty.
I was very okay with their fate at the end. It adds to Tyrion's tragedy, too.

This is not a happy story. It's not supposed to be. The story of Westeros is a story of neverending war and conquest and the common people getting perpetually shit on. The kings and queens and generals and factions come and go but it's always the same. The show takes its name from the phrase "In the game of thrones, you win or you die." The maximum possible number of winners is one, so that means death for a lot of other people.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
That's his backstory. He was a smuggler, and when the Tyrells were starving out Stannis and Storm's end during Robert's Rebellion, Davos smuggled onions into the city to keep them from starving. For this, Stannis cut off Davos's fingertips for breaking the law, and then also gave him a lordship as reward for saving Storm's End. Davos chose an onion as his sigil, and that's why he's also sometimes called "The Onion Knight". He also smuggled Mellisandre and her shadow baby into the sewers beneath Storm's End during the War of the Five Kings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
That is his profession, from about season 2.
He is a well established smuggler, agreed. But "world's greatest"? I've always interpreted the show's presentation of Davos as a pretty good smuggler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
If you want someone to do you a favor that could conceivably get them burned alive, a little flattery is never out of line. And I belive it is established that he is at least a very good smuggler.
That's fair, but Davos doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would appreciate flattery. I would have thought his reaction would be along the lines of "Not even top 10; I'm just a guy."

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-13-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure Davos smuggled Jaime into King's Landing. And yeah, probably the boat, too.
But he didn't though. Jamie just walked up there with everyone else. He was no more smuggled into King's Landing than Arya and the Hound were. Less so because he never actually made it in before the doors closed.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Arya had spent seasons and seasons deadening herself to decency and kindness, to kill without qualm, and all of a sudden she decides to be heroic to strangers.
Arya spent seasons doing nothing but witnessing the suffering of the common people in wartime. This totally fit her arc.

And failed to accept the Faceless Man's credo of killing without remorse anyone targeted by someone paying for it.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:28 AM

I was trying to figure out why the instant travel annoys me so much, and it's because the foundation of the show was slow travel.

We got almost an entire season of Arya & The Hound traveling from King's Landing to the Twins, but now between episodes whole armies can march from Winterfell to King's Landing? How long did it to take Brienne and Jaime to get to King's Landing?

If we hadn't had so many examples of it taking the better part of a season to traverse the continent, it wouldn't be so jarring to see armies (so you know they're on foot) traveling up and down the continent in between episodes or even scenes.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-13-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
But he didn't though. Jamie just walked up there with everyone else. He was no more smuggled into King's Landing than Arya and the Hound were. Less so because he never actually made it in before the doors closed.
The entire point of the convo between Tyrion and Davos was to set-up the dingy to be on the beach to facilitate Jaime and Cersei's escape. It wasn't about smuggling Jamie in, Jamie had already been unchained and "escaped" to return to Kings Landing. It was about making sure he had a way to escape if he made it down through the keep (presumably with Cersei).

If they didn't have that convo, everyone would be complaining about how did Jaime know that route existed out of the keep and it was awful lucky there was a boat just sitting there for him.

Last edited by MeanJoe; 05-13-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:32 AM

I have to think there might have been some supernatural force putting that horse where it was. We're supposed to believe that a bleeming horse would survive that conflagration, not be spooked or injured, and calmly let Arya ride it? We weren't even hearing moans of survivors, the destruction had been so complete. Only Arya's plot armor saved her.

So I'm thinking the Horse came to her after the battle was over. Perhaps the Lord of Light is still interfering, or somehow it was sent by the faceless men, or something. Or maybe Bran warged into it and went looking for her. But I can't believe Arya would wake up and find a perfectly intact white horse just standing there waiting for her to ride it.

As for why she needs a horse, my guess is that so she can ride out of King's Landing and on to Dragonstone where she will attempt to kill Daeneris. I don't see Arya just walking out of that carnage and not attempting to kill the person who caused it. I think the change we saw in her in this episode is that she went from being a person consumed with revenge for her own sake to a normal Stark, but one who realizes that Daeneris must die and she's maybe the only one who could pull it off. Not for revenge, but for the good of the people.

In fact, her arc is the opposite of Daeneris'. Daeneris started wanting to do the right thing, but tragically wound up consumed with rage and following the footsteps of her father and brother. Arya, on the hand, spent the series consumed with rage and an intent to kill a lot of people, but ended the story by regaining her humanity. That doesn't mean she'll live happily ever after, but it's interesting that Arya lost her blood lust as Daeneris was consumed by hers.

I still think we could be in for a twist with Tyrion. For example, he is tried and convicted like Varys, but when Daeneris tells Drogon to kill him, Drogon ignores her. Because Tyrion is also a Targaryan. Or, Jon Snow and Daeneris die together, and Tyrion winds up on the Iron Throne. Or we get a scene with Tyrion and Gendry where Tyrion says, "The people will never accept a dwarf on the throne. You look the part, and you are a good man. Take the job, and I will be your hand and show you how to rule." Arya Stark then walks up to Gendry and says, "I will help. I'm no lady, but I am a Stark, and a Stark/Baratheon alliance is what the realm needs." Thus fulfilling Robert's comment to Ned way back in episode 1 of season 1 that a Stark and a Baratheon should marry for the good of the kingdom.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 05-13-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Sexual frustration after being denied by her nephew.