Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Game of Thrones finale Prediction Thread

I didn't already see one of these and there is only one episode left.

1. This will have spoilers for every episode including yesterday's

2. Book people are welcome to contribute but we are discussing the finale of the show not the books.

3. No talking about previews.

Here is what I think:

Tyrion lives but jut barely. Dany dies probably at Jon's hand and Jon dies as well. The North and the South split and Sansa is Queen in the North while Gendry Baratheon (with Queen Arya?) is King in the South ruling from Storm's End because King's Landing will be abandoned.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 AM

Arya takes out Danerys, but does not live. Rogue dragon on their hands.

Sansa and Tyrion on Iron Throne, which might be problematic to be found under the rubble.

Jon goes north past the wall, and joins the wildlings and Ghost.

Brienne probably goes with him, and ends up with Tormund, purely out of fan service.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 AM

You do know the details have been leaked online?

SPOILER:
Bran sits on the Iron Throne. Jon retakes the black. Dany is killed by Jon
Old 05-13-2019, 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=AK84;21639733]You do know the details have been leaked online?

Do Not Open AK84's Spoiler!

I wouldn't have put this in a thread where one of the rules is No Previews.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
So far as I can tell, AK84's post is in compliance with the spoiler rules. The OP did not request the strictest level of enforcement, and his post is in a spoiler box, clearly labeled as containing "the details" of the finale.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]
So far as I can tell, AK84's post is in compliance with the spoiler rules. The OP did not request the strictest level of enforcement, and his post is in a spoiler box, clearly labeled as containing "the details" of the finale.
This isn't the place to argue with you, so I'm out.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:54 PM

My imaginings...

My prediction:
Dany rightly perceives Sansa as her betrayer and most dangerous rival and flies north with intent to nuke Winterfell.
Bran does some Vulcan mind-melding with Drogon, which weakens the dragon to the point that the heartbroken-but-vengeful Ser Brienne gets to slay herself a dragon to avenge her lost love, carry out her sworn oath to the Starks, and get everyone all teary for a minute.
Dany will ragefully attempt to kill Bran and get choked to death by Mr. Tree.
Arya will show up to tell Gendry that she's had enough of the assassin life and is ready to settle down and be a Lady.
Jon and Tyrion will salvage what they can in Kings Landing, but institute a new constitutional monarchy with its capital at Highgarden, and swear in Bronn as Lord Mayor.
Kings Landing is abandoned as a ruin.
Jon dies quietly without issue, leaving King Gendry to be the founder of the House Stargarython dynasty.

Eh...no worse than any other likely outcomes...
Old 05-13-2019, 05:01 PM

If this were a real world scenario, King's Landing would definitely be rebuilt. Cities have been destroyed and rebuilt many times in history, because cities are located where they are for a reason. For example, King's Landing is situated on the edge of a bay that brings huge shipping from across the sea and elsewhere.

Also, any city is going to have a huge extended supply chain, which means without the city all the people employed in providing for it starve. And while King's Landing proper may be in ruin (although we didn't see ALL of it burn - the last shot of a dragon burning the city seemed to show about a third of it destroyed. But, a lot happened while Arya was unconscious, so maybe Daeneris finished the job).

But I predict that King's Landing will be a beehive of activity for years as rubble is cleared and buildings rebuilt. The Red Keep may never be rebuilt, though. A lot depends on whether the resources to rebuild can be scraped together quickly enough.

As for the ending, there are so many ways this could go given the setup we've just seen.

1. Dany orders Drogon to burn Tyrion for treason, but Drogn refuses - because Tyrion is a Targaryan with King's blood. There have been hints of that throughout the books and the series. Tyrion then convinces Dany that her power is truly gone, and she leaves on Drogon never to return. Jon Snow or Tyrion then rule the south from Dragonstone.

2. Dany kills everyone, and that last scene is her sitting on a destroyed Iron Throne, ruling a devastated populace by fear.

3. Dany is killed by Greyworm - who is Arya with Greyworm's face. In any event, I don't see Greyworm surviving - he has no reason, or desire, to live. And he's clearly willing to follow Daeneris to her destruction, so he's going to die in some tragic way.

4. There's a confrontation between the principals back at Dragonstone, and they all wind up dying. Gendry takes the throne.

5. Remember Cersei's comment about all it would take is 'one lucky hit' to bring down Drogon? What if Bronn puts a dragonglass or Valyrian steel arrow in his crossbow and shoots Drogon through the eye with it or something? I can imagine a scene where Daeneris is about to kill Tyrion, and Bronn shows up and says, "He's mine to kill. I've been paid to do it." Then he pulls his crossbow, and suddenly spins and shoots Drogon point blank through the eye. Then either Drogon flies away, leaving Dany unguarded, or Drogon dies, or it doesn't work and an enraged Drogon burns everything.

6. Some sort of last-minute twist. The Iron Bank shows up and claims everything, or Jaqen appears and kills Arya now that she's no longer needed to save Westeros from the dead, or Bran wargs into Drogon and kills Daeneris, or something else completely unexpected.

Predicting 6 different endings gives me better odds to be right. But I'm almost certainly wrong anyway.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 05-13-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:29 PM

Dani tries to kill Jon with dragon fire, but Jon is fireproof. Dani retreats overseas. Tyrion finds a hidden dragon egg and gives it to Jon.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:33 PM

Tyrion finds a hidden dragon egg...and destroys it.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:39 PM

Tyrion kills Daenerys, Jon slays the dragon, and democracy comes to Westeros under president Sansa Stark.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

1. Jon kills Dany. Very dramatic "you're tearing me apart, Dany!" type scene.

2. Jon refuses the throne and heads off "Lee Adama" style. Like, north back to Tormund or something. Vows to never have kids. End of Targaryen line.

3. Azor Ahai....uh, they don't reveal it maybe? I thought this was a big plot point.

4. Sansa or Gendry on the throne OR no throne at all, just divide the kingdoms up into countries.

5. Most people remaining live, except Dany of course. Who else is there we really need to see die? Last ep. took care of lots of big deaths.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:43 PM

Just had another thought--nobody winds up sitting on the Iron Throne because Drogon melts it.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
Just had another thought--nobody winds up sitting on the Iron Throne because Drogon melts it.
That might have already happened though.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:50 PM

Wasn't there a shot showing snow falling on the Iron Throne because the roof was gone many seasons ago (perhaps in a Bran vision?) I think we'll see that next week.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 AM

Dany kills Jon.
Arya kills Dany, probably using Grey Worm's face as said above and dying in the process.
Not sure after that.

Blank Slate: It was Dany's vision/hallucination, given to her by the Warlocks of Qarth, aka the Undying Ones, in the House of the Undying in season 2.

Last edited by by-tor; 05-14-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Wasn't there a shot showing snow falling on the Iron Throne because the roof was gone many seasons ago (perhaps in a Bran vision?) I think we'll see that next week.
Ash. Seen that this week. I think it was from Danerys's visions from House of the Undying.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 AM

Thanks you guys. I went looking for it and found that Bran had glimpse of that same shot of the ash-covered throne room in episode 2, season 4. He also saw the shadow of a dragon flying over Kings Landing.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
Arya takes out Danerys, but does not live. Rogue dragon on their hands.

Sansa and Tyrion on Iron Throne, which might be problematic to be found under the rubble.

Jon goes north past the wall, and joins the wildlings and Ghost.

Pretty much my pre-spoiler bet (and I'm still not convinced by the spoiler). I would assume that Arya would then leave for Essos or some other remote place. I would like the faceless men to reappear, but I don't expect it.

I would expect Brienne to stay with Sansa, though, possibly as head of the queensguard, with Ser Onion as hand.

Not sure what will happen to the dragon, but if they can put their hand on a ballista, it should be an easy kill.

Last edited by clairobscur; 05-14-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 AM

Why would you reference the spoiler?

"That's what I thought, but then I read the spoiler and learned it isn't true" is also a spoiler.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

By the way, Tyrion being suddenly revealed as a Targaryen in the last episode would be ludicrous. Not going to happen.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Why would you reference the spoiler?

"That's what I thought, but then I read the spoiler and learned it isn't true" is also a spoiler.
Why is there a fucking spoiler in a prediction thread in the first place. If there is a place where people do not want to know the answer, this is it.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 AM

Bran keeps things moving rapidly along throughout but comes out all right at the end.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Pretty much my pre-spoiler bet (and I'm still not convinced by the spoiler). I would assume that Arya would then leave for Essos or some other remote place. I would like the faceless men to reappear, but I don't expect it.

I would expect Brienne to stay with Sansa, though, possibly as head of the queensguard, with Ser Onion as hand.

Not sure what will happen to the dragon, but if they can put their hand on a ballista, it should be an easy kill.
Arya asked someone a few seasons ago, what is west of Westeros? Apparently, no one knows. I think she will retire as an assassin and sail off into the sunset to become the Christopher Columbus of Planetos. And maybe tell Gendry she wouldn't mind using Storms End as home base for her adventures.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Arya killing Dany seems unlikely to me, since she already took out the Night King.

Arya killing Grey Worm, on the other hand ...
Old 05-14-2019, 01:24 PM

I know I offered one prediction of Daeneris getting on Drogon and going back to Essos, but that can't really happen. Everyone would know that she could simply fly her dragon across the narrow sea any time she wants and lay waste to anything she wants. So the minute she leaves, she and her dragon would have a huge price on their heads. Everyone in Westeros will want both of them dead if it can be managed. And as they established two episodes ago, killing a dragon is possible. Daeneris will be hunted for the rest of her life if she leaves.

Dany is unredeemable, but so is Drogon. Most Westerosi have an image of Drogon as basically a weapon of terror to be unleashed against the people at any time. He would be absolutely hated and feared.

So if Daeneris does not sit on the Iron Throne at the end, I would expect both her and Drogon to die in some way, or perhaps for her to die and Drogon to fly away never to be seen again until the next plot needs him.

Here's one thing in favor of Daeneris ruling at the end: If she doesn't, how do they resolve the problem of thousands of Dothraki and Unsullied still left behind? Without their queen, what do they do? I don't think surrender is an option. Do they become a rampaging force? Does Drogon kill them, perhaps being warged by Bran? I don't see them all calmly getting on a ship and going home. Rather, I think they'd avenge their queen. So we could actually see an ending where Daeneris and Drogon are killed, then Westeros gets to spend years essentially fighting guerrilla wars against thousands of trained soldiers loosed into a hostile country.

So, the ending looks bad for everyone no matter what. If Daeneris lives, she rules by fear. If she dies, her dragon and her soldiers could start laying waste to Westeros. If she and her dragon die, there is still a huge enemy army sitting in Westeros. I don't see any happy endings for anyone.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 05-14-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Daenerys will die. Jon's got a shot at death but will probably end up north of the Wall, or on it. He will not be King. Tyrion will probably die, likely executed by Daenerys before she is assassinated. Grey Worm is a dead man. Arya will live, and Sansa likely will too.

There may not be a new person on the Iron Throne. If there is, it'll be Sansa or Bran or some figurehead, but there is a pretty good chance the Seven Kingdoms is done as a unified state. This is a chance for the various regions to make a break for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone
If this were a real world scenario, King's Landing would definitely be rebuilt. Cities have been destroyed and rebuilt many times in history, because cities are located where they are for a reason. For example, King's Landing is situated on the edge of a bay that brings huge shipping from across the sea and elsewhere.
King's Landing did not exist prior to Aegon's Conquest - it was just where Aegon first arrived, hence the name - and so its status as a natural place for settlement isn't clear. Cities of the past were often abandoned after disasters. Ani, Karakorum, Babylon, and more - some lasted a lot longer than King's Landing. Given that anyone who survived the burning of the city is now at risk of death from starvation or dysentery, people would, if history is any guide, leave. They'll take off as refugees for cleaner, safer places. If the Seven Kingdoms doesn't survive as a unified state and King's Landing has no political purpose for existing, sure, a city can die. That's what happened to Xanadu and Persepolis.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-14-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:09 PM

Of course there are examples of cities destroyed and never rebuilt, but that's not the norm. Look at WWII -how many cities were utterly devastated, then restored after the war? Dresden and Tokyo among others were firebombed and millions killed and whole regions of the city flattened. Berlin was close to being a pile of rubble by the end of the war - 80% of the city was destroyed. Stalingrad as well. Warsaw was almost completely destroyed. Hell, even Hiroshima and Nagasaki recovered, and even the areas bombed and irradiated are rebuilt.

In 1755 Lisbon was 85% destroyed by an earthquake, and rebuilt. The Mongols sacked Baghdad and almost completely destroyed it. It took centuries to recover, but it's still around.

Cities are rebuild because they are generally located in strategically or economically advantageous places, but even if they aren't, once a city is in place the economy around it changes, and then becomes dependent on that city. So there is great pressure to rebuild.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:13 PM

I would guess Sansa would end up as Queen.

I also predict the book fans will loudly complain and say they are waiting for the "real ending " from Martin which will likely never get written by him.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I would guess Sansa would end up as Queen.

I also predict the book fans will loudly complain and say they are waiting for the "real ending " from Martin which will likely never get written by him.
I think it is more likely than people realize that Martin has discussed the ending and what we are seeing on screen is the real ending, just executed very differently an with less insight into motivations than we'll get from Martin.

I think in the books, it is(or was if he is changing it now) likely that:

- Arya kills the NK
- Dany destroys King's Landing
- Cercei dies in the collapse

I think it is possible that they added or expanded:

- Clegane Bowl
- How the other dragon died in episode 4
- Euron stabbing Jamie
- Jamie hooking up with Brienne
Old 05-14-2019, 05:30 PM

I'm sure there was a note that said "Euron kills a dragon", but book Euron is very very different than show Euron.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Arya killing Dany seems unlikely to me, since she already took out the Night King.

Arya killing Grey Worm, on the other hand ...
I have revised my thinking on this theory, because it dawned on me that "A Song of Ice and Fire" may be more revealing than it appears at first glance.

What if the central character of this story has been Arya all along?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Dany sends her adoring army out to catch and kill all remaining betrayers while she rides her dragon to get that one bitch over in Winterfell and burns that to the ground also. Her troops kill every last commoner running around the countryside looking for her former advisors. But even her troops betray her because, while collecting Tyrion and Jon's heads, they lost Grey Worm in that fight. Just like Hitler, she blames her own people. Unlike Hitler, she has a dragon and burns all of them too. Adds another 100,000 or so swords to the Iron Throne and sits there until she dies too.

The Night King chuckles undeadily from beyond the grave.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM

Sansa sits on the Iron Throne.

Dany dies by Arya ex Machina, possibly with some face shifting foolery.

Tryion dies, probably by dragon fire.

Jon rides off into the frozen north.

Greyworm dies.

I'll likely be away from a computer from Saturday until almost the end of May, so if I'm right, just hold all my fabulous prizes and such until I get back. If I'm wrong...well, it ain't like it will be the first time.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Denarys tries to flame Jon.
Drogo says, "Mmmmmno, him Targaryan and me kind of like. Me no flame him." Maybe he bites her in half, but something leads to her demise and Jon ends up the last Targ.

Pushed toward the throne, Jon says, "Naw, I don't think so." and plans to fuck off to the Real North with a snowboard, and a bag of Alpo for ghost. Tyrion convinces him not to do that because he'd be dooming the realm to chaos and more throne skullduggery. Jon has the dragon melt the throne. NOW the wheel is broken, and Dany sure enough facilitated that as she promised. Because power seeks Jon, Dany's armies swear to him. Jon reclassifies them as cops and they are tasked with maintaining order. Jon begrudgingly accepts the title of high king, but rebrands the job as an arbitrator of disputes amongst the other kings. He does a lot of fishing in his spare time.

The long winters turn out to be an atmospheric effect of the NK's migrations. The weather balances and the long nights are now summer-y nights.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 05-15-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Dany dies by Arya ex Machina, possibly with some face shifting foolery.
At this point I'm not going to be happy unless Dany is walking along, talking to Grey Worm, when Arya gallops by on the pale horse and beheads her like the knight did to the lecturer in Monty Python & The Holy Grail. Now THAT would be awesome!
Old 05-19-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
Arya asked someone a few seasons ago, what is west of Westeros? Apparently, no one knows. I think she will retire as an assassin and sail off into the sunset to become the Christopher Columbus of Planetos. And maybe tell Gendry she wouldn't mind using Storms End as home base for her adventures.
Arya's ending was the only thing I was right about for eight seasons! Well, minus the Gendry part unless that happened off screen.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:56 PM

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Biggirl; 05-19-2019 at 09:56 PM.