Old 05-14-2019, 09:04 AM

Any 'good' NA beer?

Yeah, I put 'good' in air quotes. But if you drink it any preferences?

Colorado used to have low alcohol 3.2 beer that I was fine with. Sure, it's not what you pick for a steak, but working in the yard? No problem. That's now gone.

So, if you drink NA or a low alcohol beer, are there any you consider better than others? (again avoiding the word 'good')

(Not sure if maybe this should be IMHO).
Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 AM

If you are lamenting the loss of 3.2 the you could try taking a regular beer of your choice and mix it with seltzer water.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 AM

I'm allergic to alcohol, so NA beer is my only option. Personally, I prefer the Labatt's Blue. In second place would be the O'Douls Amber followed by O'Douls Green. Busch NA is OK but a little behind the others. I enjoyed a Kaliber in a bar once but when I actually bought a six pack I was disappointed, it didn't taste fresh. Maybe just a bad batch.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:31 AM

For some reason we once had a Clausthaler in the fridge. It was passable. It was better after I topped it off with a little vodka.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Thanks all. I've tried O'douls, Clausthaler and Kaliber. Maybe it's a mater of getting used to the taste of them, but eh...
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

I like Kaliber, St. Pauli Girl NA, Buckler, Clausthaler
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Do note that 3.2 beer was 3.2% by weight, not volume. It’s more like 4.0% ABV beer, which is not far from the 4.2% ABV you get with a lot of light beers. So, while a bit lighter than your average American light lager, it’s closer to that than an NA beer by far.

For NA beer, I do remember thinking St Pauli was okay, if not quite tasting like real beer.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-14-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Do note that 3.2 beer was 3.2% by weight, not volume. Its more like 4.0% ABV beer, which is not far from the 4.2% ABV you get with a lot of light beers. So, while a bit lighter than your average American light lager, its closer to that than an NA beer by far.

For NA beer, I do remember thinking St Pauli was okay, if not quite tasting like real beer.
I do remember it was 3.2% by weight. Wasn't really sure how much different that would make it from regular beer. I guess not that much.

I like St Pauli in regular beer, I'll give that a shot.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Stiegl Radler if you like a grapefruit flavor.

Radlers are low alcohol and quite refreshing and Stiegl, in my opinion, is among the best.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
Radlers are low alcohol and quite refreshing and Stiegl, in my opinion, is among the best.
Visited Germany (Rhine Valley) last year during the hottest week of the year. It was in the high 90s every day and we were traveling by train and foot. In a little caf in Bacharach I discovered the radler. I'm a fan.

Coming back home I wish I had gotten a photo of the horror on my friends' faces as they watched me pour a beer into a glass and top it off with 7-Up (I do more of an 80/20 ratio than 50/50).
Old 05-14-2019, 12:35 PM

nm
Old 05-14-2019, 12:44 PM

I used to drink A LOT of beer. So much that I've been sober these past 15 yrs! Used to host and attend beer tastings.

Don't buy a lot of NA beer, but most of the ones I've had are decent. Definitely better than the swill we used to drink before microbrews got popular.

One of my faves is Clausthauler Dry Hopped. Definitely more of a hoppy/IPA taste than the regular Clausthauler - which I've always found decent.

Paulaner makes a decent hefeweiss, if you like that kind of thing. Sure, might not come out ahead if you taste-tested a bunch of hefes, but by itself, definitely drinkable.

I've also very much appreciated St Pauli. Definitely resembles their beer. Sorry, I haven't compared it to the leaded.

Kaliber and Buckler are OK. Actually, probably better than OK. Either of them are tastier than a Bud/Milller/Lite/PBR/etc. I just prefer Clausthauler or St Pauli. You may have to buy a selection and see which you prefer.

If you are drinking O'Doul's, definitely go with the Amber. It is still pretty sad, but better than the green. Sharp's is swill. If offered plain O'Doul's or Sharp's, I'd probably choose to drink water (which I do most of the time anyway.)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:13 PM

All good info, thanks. I suspect (and hope) that perhaps with all the micro brews out they are getting better.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:21 PM

Also Becks. I always thought Becks and St Pauli's similar and decent. Their NAs are as well.

Side note - the Beck's NA labels are VERY similar to regular. A few years ago - after I had been sober maybe 7 yrs or so, my sister/BIL were treating us to dinner at their club. I used to drink a lot of beer w/ my BIL - and he was paying!, so I ordered a few Beck's. Somewhere around #3 or so, one of us noticed something odd about the label. Sure enough, the waiter had goofed and brought me a leaded bottle.

Wouldn't have made me fall off the wagon or anything, but if I want to end my sobriety after several years, I'd just as soon have it be intentional rather than inadvertent!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Becks is another one of my favs. And you couldn't tell the difference? Wow, they have changed.

I did used to try to drink Sharps and O'douls once in a while. Just. Couldn't. Drink it.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Becks is another one of my favs. And you couldn't tell the difference? Wow, they have changed.
Sorry I was unclear - what I was trying to say is that the LABELS were very similar. So I tipped a couple of NAs, and when he brought me another, I ALMOST drank it w/o noticing the subtle diff in the label.

I'm going on several years past memory in comparing anything to real beer, but I always thought Beck's and St. Pauli tasted similar to each other, and from my distant recollections, their NAs taste similar as well.

(But back when I drank, I preferred darks, stouts, porters and such.)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM

See if you have access to anything on this list from BeerAdvocate. I generally find that a rating above 3 is the cutoff between average and good. Most would be imports, but there's a NA IPA out of Connecticut rated 3.5 and one from Michigan over 3.

Last edited by TroutMan; 05-14-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Sorry I was unclear - what I was trying to say is that the LABELS were very similar. So I tipped a couple of NAs, and when he brought me another, I ALMOST drank it w/o noticing the subtle diff in the label.

I'm going on several years past memory in comparing anything to real beer, but I always thought Beck's and St. Pauli tasted similar to each other, and from my distant recollections, their NAs taste similar as well.

(But back when I drank, I preferred darks, stouts, porters and such.)
Thanks for clearing that up. I saw that the labels where similar, but thought you had drank a few. I'm going to pick up a few sixers of different stuff tonight and try a few different ones.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
See if you have access to anything on this list from BeerAdvocate. I generally find that a rating above 3 is the cutoff between average and good. Most would be imports, but there's a NA IPA out of Connecticut rated 3.5 and one from Michigan over 3.
Thanks, I was looking at that site and don't know if I'll be able to find any of it in the small county that I live in. I'll be looking though.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Thanks, I was looking at that site and don't know if I'll be able to find any of it in the small county that I live in. I'll be looking though.
Keep the faith - according to Food and Wine, 2019 is the year of non alcoholic beer. I'd say that's a little premature, but you almost certainly will have more choices within the next few years.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:37 PM

I'm of fan of NA beers. Sometimes I appreciate the stupefying effects of alcohol, but in most circumstances it's a horrible-tasting substance.

I've noticed that internet taste-testings of NA brews produce hugely different judgements; people should conduct their own research. My own favorites are Kaliber, Trader Joe's Dry-Hopped Clausthaler, and (also from Trader Joe's) Gerstel. I don't like the other TJ Clausthalers.

The Trader Joe's brews are generally good values, with the Gerstel around $1.00 a bottle. The Joe's near me will sell individual bottles of their NA brews, which makes it easy to taste test.

The bad thing about Joe's is that the NA's are not refrigerated, and (if memory serves) some of them are in green bottles (a double whammy). The NAs are usually kept on the bottom shelf, and if I'm feeling quality conscious I will reach pass the front six-pack and grab a pack that has been more protected from light.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

If there's a Korean food import shop nearby, you can always try McCol (맥콜). It's a barley and wheat carbonated drink without alcohol. I drink it when I'm in Korea and when I can find it here in Beijing. Well, turns out it's available on Amazon.

Last time I was in Korea, I went through the "adult drinks" section of my favorite big box supermarket because they had a big sign advertising "0% Beers". I checked the labels and all the stuff on offer, both domestic (Korean) and imported was non-alcohol versions, not just extremely low alcohol*, of the various breweries' usual offerings. I haven't tried any of those because the price was still higher than the McCol. Maybe next time.

*It could be the alcohol content is so low that the government standards permit them to say "0%".
Old 05-15-2019, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

O'Doul's Amber is surprisingly decent for a non-alcohol brew from a macro brewer.

While not non-alcoholic (.5% or less is legally non-alcoholic) Old Style Low Alcohol is fairly decent (2.6%ABV).
Old 05-15-2019, 02:51 PM

IF you can find it Coors Cutter fooled me when I inadvertently grabbed one out of the beer cooler at a party. It was one of the few NA beers I've tried that I actually liked.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:05 PM

Between the generally high levels of beer consumption and the extremely strict anti-Drinking & Driving laws here, Eastern Europe is awash in non-alcoholic beers, virtually every major brewery has its own version, although I guess due to lower sales volume, it is almost always more expensive than their actual beers.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
IF you can find it Coors Cutter fooled me when I inadvertently grabbed one out of the beer cooler at a party. It was one of the few NA beers I've tried that I actually liked.
My basic daily drinker working around the house beer is Coors Light (yeah I know). I'll look for a six of Cutter.

I had a Becks last night and liked it quite a bit. Another beer I had A Paulaner Weizen-Radler was WAY too citrus for me, but I could see how others would find it refreshing. Tasted like half beer/half lemonade.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I enjoyed a Kaliber in a bar once but when I actually bought a six pack I was disappointed, it didn't taste fresh. Maybe just a bad batch.
Thing is, you can't really tell if the batch at the beer store, or at the restaurant, was the bad one.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 PM

O'Doul's Amber with tomato juice.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 PM

this thread reminds me of a joke about how you make beer in general you get 2 buckets and a horse ... fill one with water and the others for the horse .....light or na beer ? just add more water and get a bigger horse ....

But they have African malted drinks that I'm told taste like beer/malt liquor (there marketed as "energy" drinks believe it or not) I thought one of the home nurses my nephew had was drinking "8 ball" because he smelled like it and he showed me the bottle ... and said it tasted the same