Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Siamese Elephants and the Dentist were very fine indeed, but the one that always cracked me up the most is Mister Bunny, Attorney-at-Law.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3eqWYGahgA
Old 05-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

A good comedian can take good material and make you laugh. Tim Conway could take good material and make you wet yourself.

The elephant story is an example of something else that made him great. The story is, in a sense. an ensemble piece. I know that breaking character and cracking up was part of the schtick on The Carol Burnett Show. Sometimes that works, for other shows, sometimes it's just the cast making a joke seem funnier than it is. But Tim Conway in the elephant story was able to use it to involve, not only the cast, but the audience, in the feeling that they were part of something. Not just watching, but watching along with the cast from the inside. And Tim knew that, and by using his absolutely perfect timing in delivering the story to make everyone else collapse helplessly and just watch him play with them and with the audience. Nobody was faking it that time - everyone was watching someone hitting an absolute peak, and letting him run with it because nobody wanted to miss a moment.

And then Vicki Lawrence, in character (more or less) as Mama, delivering that perfect punchline. Not to upstage, to underline. And then Tim Conway cracks up too, and everyone - cast, audience, and performer - are drawn up together.

Some moments are so perfect that they can't be compared to anything else. Because only one person could have done that moment. Tim Conway gave us moments like that.

RIP.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 PM

No mention of Dorf yet?
Old 05-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Shodan, that was perfectly put.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Back when you could still joke about Nazis, Tim Conway did an unforgettable bit with a Hitler hand puppet interrogating Lyle Waggoner as an American POW with the best rendition of I've Been Working on the Railroad ever.

"I am the most feared interrogator in the world....and part of Canada!"
Old 05-15-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Back when you could still joke about Nazis, Tim Conway did an unforgettable bit with a Hitler hand puppet interrogating Lyle Waggoner as an American POW with the best rendition of I've Been Working on the Railroad ever.

"I am the most feared interrogator in the world....and part of Canada!"
Looks like that sketch is one of the ones linked to here:
Tim Conway's Funniest Sketches from The Carol Burnett Show
Old 05-16-2019, 07:46 AM

Regarding McHale's Navy cast members ...

Of the cast that appeared in at least 100 of the 138 episodes, only John Wright (Willy Moss) and Yoshio Yoda (Fuji Kobiaji) aren't listed as deceased. For such minor actors, sometimes their deaths go by without notice.

In terms of definitely being alive, you have to reach down to Gavin MacLeod (Happy) who is credited for 73 episodes before leaving the show.

The show started in 1962, which just makes me feel old.

Carl Ballantine (Lester Gruber) was my favorite character. I have a sibling that got a picture taken with Bob Hastings (Lt. Elroy Carpenter) in uniform during a studio tour well after the show went off the air.

Regarding Conway: If you can make Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman crack up regularly, you are a top notch funny person.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Regarding McHale's Navy cast members ...

Of the cast that appeared in at least 100 of the 138 episodes, only John Wright (Willy Moss) and Yoshio Yoda (Fuji Kobiaji) aren't listed as deceased. For such minor actors, sometimes their deaths go by without notice.

In terms of definitely being alive, you have to reach down to Gavin MacLeod (Happy) who is credited for 73 episodes before leaving the show.

The show started in 1962, which just makes me feel old.

Carl Ballantine (Lester Gruber) was my favorite character. I have a sibling that got a picture taken with Bob Hastings (Lt. Elroy Carpenter) in uniform during a studio tour well after the show went off the air.

Regarding Conway: If you can make Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman crack up regularly, you are a top notch funny person.
I was in second grade in 1962. My God, how I loved that show! My mother hated it, which made me love it even more.

Tuesday night was the best one of the week: Combat! followed by McHale's Navy (and I'd watch Dobie Gillis in the last half hour before the network took over Channel 9).