Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 AM

Big Bang Theory -- Conclusion Airs Tonight, May 16, 2019!

The Big Bang Theory, Season 12, Episode 23 (May 16, 2019) -- "The Change Constant"

The Big Bang Theory, Season 12, Episode 24 (May 16, 2019) -- "The Stockholm Syndrome"

I am starting this thread in anticipation of tonight's double-episode, which will conclude the series. It has been a wild ride!

A retrospective episode will air afterwards.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Note that I have no advance knowledge but isn't Stockholm where the Nobel Prizes are awarded?
Old 05-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Also, the entire cast will be on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:30pm.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Note that I have no advance knowledge but isn't Stockholm where the Nobel Prizes are awarded?
I believe so.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 AM

I hope the gang all moves out and as they haul the last of their things down the stairs, the elevator repairs are finished.

Will we learn Penny's maiden name? Will Amy be pregnant? Will Penny? Will Stuart get married? And what do we do about Raj? Hope it all gets straightened out.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

According to reliable sources, the story ends with

SPOILER:
closing credits followed by a vanity plate
Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post

SPOILER:
Holy shit, that would be so epic! It'll show those Game of Throne writers a thing or two about ending a series!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I hope the gang all moves out and as they haul the last of their things down the stairs, the elevator repairs are finished.

Will we learn Penny's maiden name? Will Amy be pregnant? Will Penny? Will Stuart get married? And what do we do about Raj? Hope it all gets straightened out.
And I hope it doesn't. I hope none of those things happens. These stories have been evolving for 12 years, why should everything (or anything) happen now? I think it's much better for the show (and its syndication revenue) and the fans if nothing further is resolved. Much better would be if these were actually funny episodes, to bring the series back to its more halcyon days.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:04 PM

I think it'll end with Thanos resurrecting Night King with the Infinity Gauntlet and then riding on the Zombie Dragon to torch the Nobel Prize ceremony. But Daenerys and Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange will try to stop them. And somebody will die. Probably a lot of somebodies.

Then Sheldon will be revealed as Dr. Manhattan, and Leonard will fly off with Penny as Night Owl and Silk Spectre in the OwlShip. This will leave an opening for the HBO Watchmen series.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:39 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

I kind of hope the episode handles all our unanswered questions as if they had never been asked. No one makes a big deal about the elevator being fixed, Penny's last name is mentioned so casually you might miss it, and the only thing Amy says about Stockholm is, "it's very pretty," while Sheldon bitches about the trip.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

SPOILER:
Nailed it.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

No spoilers here, but I found tonight's surprise cameo guest star a disappointment. Couldn't they get _____, _____, or even _____?

On the other hand
SPOILER:
Raj must have finally found the perfect pickup line, "Pardon me, would you like to be my guest at the Nobel Prize Award Ceremony?"
Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 PM

Well, I liked it all very much.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:44 PM

was it as bad as seinfelds? or even cheers?
Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Nailed it.
Oh, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Amy Farrah Fowler wins the Nobel Prize...
Seven years ago!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
was it as bad as seinfelds? or even cheers?
Definitely better than Seinfeld, and I happened to like the finale of Cheers.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 PM

I've been underwhelmed with most of this season, but the finale was pretty touching.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

In the season finale of Young Sheldon, his future friends are shown as children. The name "Penny" is clearly visible. Can anyone see if her last name is somewhere in the shot?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 PM

I think the culmination of all the Sheldon jokes and Leonard angst was pretty well covered in that slap. Maybe it says something about me that I found that so, so funny. I still giggle when I think about it.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
In the season finale of Young Sheldon, his future friends are shown as children. The name "Penny" is clearly visible. Can anyone see if her last name is somewhere in the shot?
I spotted "Penny" on the wall, but I didn't spot her last name, if it was even there. I did appreciate how Sheldon neatly sidestepped the question in his speech, when he introduced her as "Penny Hofstader."

I liked the final two episodes. There were a few clunky episodes this season, but the finale wrapped everything up neatly, IMHO.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Pretty touching. And the bit with Stewart and the kids was pretty funny. (note: I don't have kids -- parents may not find that as funny(
I think SMG was a fine guest star.

Brian
Old 05-17-2019, 05:44 AM

Minor spoilery question if I may

SPOILER:
Was that Jim Parsons singing the theme and playing guitar at the end?

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 05-17-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Minor spoilery question if I may

SPOILER:
Was that Jim Parsons singing the theme and playing guitar at the end?
Not sure why this is in a spoiler box but I think it was a bare naked lady.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Not sure why this is in a spoiler box but I think it was a bare naked lady.
Some people get a little nutty about spoilers. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I'm so glad the Wolowitz kids didn't become a precocious fixture in the show, but it was kind of nice to see them briefly. I'm also glad the gussied up Amy a bit. She deserves it.

All in all, not a bad finale.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

What I liked about it, apart from it providing a high percentage of actual laughs, which is not a guarantee with this show, was that everything tied up relatively neatly, but not definitively, and it was about things that had been hinted at throughout the whole season.

It didn't have a few things I expected, like a leap into the far future, or the reveal of Penny's surname, or an unlikely cavalcade of guest appearances. And that's good, it made it a simple, straightforward, and satisfying finale.

And it also didn't have Anu in it, so that was a bonus.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:29 AM

I think they stuck the landing. Great way to show the elevator working. A nice Penny-Sheldon scene. The slap was great. Seeing the kids for a moment was good. Penny's pregnancy handled well and Sheldon's reactions on the plane were funny. Minus points for having Kripke in even for a moment.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 AM

I liked it - my personal favorite part was Amy's description of the Swedes during the pre-flight briefing, and all the handshakes afterwards.

And Penny was right - pickled herring is awesome.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:30 AM

I have been critical of this show for the past two seasons; it felt tired, and the actors just seemed to be going through the motions much of the time.

The two-part finale, and the episode just prior to it, were a breath of fresh air. I'm glad they were able to bring back some of the magic from earlier seasons. Nice way to wrap up.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I liked it quite a bit, even if it didn't include some elements we speculated might be there (such as a flash forward showing where everyone ended up). And I particularly liked Leonard's explanation why he's always wearing a hoodie and why that DNA sculpture is there.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
What I liked about it, apart from it providing a high percentage of actual laughs, which is not a guarantee with this show, was that everything tied up relatively neatly, but not definitively, and it was about things that had been hinted at throughout the whole season.
But at the same time, it also wasn't one of those finales where everything changes (despite Sheldon's change-related freakout). Nobody is moving away, nobody got a new job, the general status quo of the series didn't really change. Once they get back from Sweden, their lives are going to continue pretty much as they always have. I like that. I've never been huge fan of the Friends-style "Everyone Goes Their Separate Ways" ending.

As someone who has admitted before to having a crush on Mayim Bialik since the days of Blossom, I appreciated her makeover, and was glad that she got a chance to appear all glammed up. Boo to Sheldon for reacting so badly to it. Sometimes he seems to have progressed in his social skills, but then he fails at something so basic as "Don't insult your wife's appearance."

While Sheldon's speech at the Nobel ceremony was very good, and Parsons delivered it beautifully (I loved "Astronaut Howard Wolowitz"), you have to wonder how much it will stick. Sheldon's been called on his bullshit before, and had moments where he seemed to realize that he's behaved badly. But before long he regresses back to his old ways. It would be nice to think that he finally "gets it," but I have my doubts.

Sarah Michelle Gellar was a weird final guest star. Or rather, the way they involved her in the story was weird. Some random guy she's sitting next to on a plane invites her to the Nobel Prize ceremony, so she says yes? Okay, whatever. But I did chuckle at, in the middle of Sheldon's heartfelt tribute to his friends, "Is that Buffy the Vampire Slayer?"

I liked the slapping of Sheldon, but they totally stole that from How I Met Your Mother.

It's definitely for the best that the show is ending. It hasn't been its best for several years now, and has often been tired and unfunny recently. But they pulled off a good finale.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Loved a lot of little things, like the DNA sculpture and Amy getting to wear her tiara again... and I could have killed Sheldon for shooting down her fabulous new look. And funny to see Penny and Bernadette competing over who'd be Amy's best friend. Too bad about the lack of Sheldon & Leonard's moms.

Sheldon's speech was inspiring... showed how much he's evolved.

And I loved the end of Young Sheldon, showing them all as kids.

And best of all: NO ANU!!! Thank you, writers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
And I hope it doesn't. I hope none of those things happens. These stories have been evolving for 12 years, why should everything (or anything) happen now? I think it's much better for the show (and its syndication revenue) and the fans if nothing further is resolved. Much better would be if these were actually funny episodes, to bring the series back to its more halcyon days.
I guess you're not very good with CHANGE.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I think the culmination of all the Sheldon jokes and Leonard angst was pretty well covered in that slap. Maybe it says something about me that I found that so, so funny. I still giggle when I think about it.
Oh yeah, that was great. Loved it!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:40 AM

It was a very touching finale. Sheldon's acceptance speech showed how fond he was of all his friends (and his wife!), even though his natural tendency is to take them for granted. Nice!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Best moments were the Sheldon slap, Penny discovering the elevator works, and the DNA model.

In Young Sheldon, the announcement of the award of the Nobel Prize in Physics to Jerome I. Friedman, Henry W. Kendall and Richard E. Taylor for "quarks" dates that show to 1990. Sheldon was betting on Frederick Reines to win for discovering neutrinos; he won in 1995.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
.......While Sheldon's speech at the Nobel ceremony was very good, and Parsons delivered it beautifully (I loved "Astronaut Howard Wolowitz"), you have to wonder how much it will stick. Sheldon's been called on his bullshit before, and had moments where he seemed to realize that he's behaved badly. But before long he regresses back to his old ways. It would be nice to think that he finally "gets it," but I have my doubts.......
This was my thought exactly. While the speech was stirring and heartfelt and maybe even a bit tear-inducing, it also seemed pretty much out of the blue. Given the fact that there wasn't much of an arc showing a transformation in Sheldon, it is hard to think it will be a permanent change. Maybe that was the point?
Old 05-17-2019, 11:02 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
<snip> and Amy getting to wear her tiara again...
I loved seeing her wearing it! I can never hear the word "tiara" without remembering the original episode!
Old 05-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Sheldon has shown he cannot handle too much change at once. That's why he ran away to go ride trains. Also, since Sheldon doesn't care too much about money, I think the Nobel Prize cash award won't change him too much.

I wish Mary could have been there.

I liked how they dialed down the laugh track some. When Amy was telling Sheldon she tolerates him too sometimes, because she knows he doesn't mean it, I think that may have pinged to Sheldon.

All in all, farewell. I've watched since the beginning and it was a nice wrap-up.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
I have been critical of this show for the past two seasons; it felt tired, and the actors just seemed to be going through the motions much of the time.

The two-part finale, and the episode just prior to it, were a breath of fresh air. I'm glad they were able to bring back some of the magic from earlier seasons. Nice way to wrap up.
I agree with this. As I had hoped, the writing was much better than it has been, and the story felt organic and not forced.

For those who like speeches, like Sheldon's, that show the main character having a huge change of heart under life-changing circumstances, I recommend an old British movie called "The Browning Version," available occasionally on TMC. It will break your heart.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
This was my thought exactly. While the speech was stirring and heartfelt and maybe even a bit tear-inducing, it also seemed pretty much out of the blue. Given the fact that there wasn't much of an arc showing a transformation in Sheldon, it is hard to think it will be a permanent change. Maybe that was the point?
Sheldon's evolution seems to have been two steps forward, 1.5 steps backward. What's important is that he's moving forward, at half-step intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I agree with this. As I had hoped, the writing was much better than it has been, and the story felt organic and not forced.

For those who like speeches, like Sheldon's, that show the main character having a huge change of heart under life-changing circumstances, I recommend an old British movie called "The Browning Version," available occasionally on TMC. It will break your heart.
Love that movie, and the original play. Big Terence Rattigan fan.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Some people get a little nutty about spoilers. Thanks for the reply though.
Yeah, those Game of Throners have everyone on edge.

All of a sudden I'm feeling like Sheldon-- why all this change? Why do all the shows I watch have to end?
Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Maybe I heard wrong but didn't Sheldon say he got a congratulations message from his Me Maw (sp)? I thought she had passed away at this point.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Maybe I heard wrong but didn't Sheldon say he got a congratulations message from his Me Maw (sp)? I thought she had passed away at this point.
There was no explanation why she wasn't at Sheldon & Amy's wedding, but she certainly hasn't died on the show. That would have been an event on the same scale as Howard's mother's death.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I could have killed Sheldon for shooting down her fabulous new look.
Did anyone else notice in the "two months later" scene, Amy is still wearing more attractive clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
I liked the slapping of Sheldon, but they totally stole that from How I Met Your Mother.
As a fellow hack writer* used to say, "If an idea's good enough to use the first time, it's good enough to steal."

My sig would say, if I could turn it back on, I'm not just a hack writer, I'm a hack author.

Last edited by Kent Clark; 05-17-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did anyone else notice in the "two months later" scene, Amy is still wearing more attractive clothing?
I noticed that, and it made sense. She's more comfortable with herself so she feels OK wearing nicer stuff. And both she and Sheldon were wearing the Nobel Prize medals around their necks, which seems weird. But maybe that's only for a while?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
There was no explanation why she wasn't at Sheldon & Amy's wedding, but she certainly hasn't died on the show. That would have been an event on the same scale as Howard's mother's death.
The actress who played Mee-Maw is nearly 90. Maybe she's too frail to perform and they don't want to recast her just for a cameo.

As for everyone else, remember in How I Met Your Mother that Barney and Robin's wedding had everyone digitally inserted into the audience, and at least on this Board, the producers were soundly thumped for that decision.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The actress who played Mee-Maw is nearly 90. Maybe she's too frail to perform and they don't want to recast her just for a cameo.
They could have used Annie Potts, Meemaw from Young Sheldon, though that could have caused continuity problems. Actually, those problems already exist, with two radically different actors playing the same character.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

BTW, Amy's PhD is in neurobiology but she won the Nobel Prize for Physics. Did anyone in real life win one of the science Nobel Prizes for a field other than the one in which they're educated?

And also, is it safe to assume that both Sheldon and Amy would have gotten fat raises from Caltech after winning the prize? Because I imagine that lots of other colleges would be trying to recruit them (as colleges seem to like to trumpet the number of Nobel Prize winners on the faculty).
Old 05-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
And both she and Sheldon were wearing the Nobel Prize medals around their necks, which seems weird. But maybe that's only for a while?
Are you familiar with the joke that ends "I'm telling everyone!"?

Amy may eventually stop wearing hers. Sheldon will be on the replacement Nobel ribbon website twice a year for the rest of his life.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I get the joke, but I also assume that everyone in greater Pasadena now knows them and knows that they won.