Old 05-16-2019, 10:38 AM

Harry's Razors Bought by Schick

Well, technically the parent company that also owns Schick razors. Probably bad news right? Is it inevitable every small(er) successful company gets sucked up by a conglomerate?

Maybe nothing will change? Probably not but maybe?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Depends on the details of the deal. Often when a company is bought, the former owners just become employees of the larger company, and continue to run day-to-day operations. From what I've read about this deal, it's like that.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Is it inevitable every small(er) successful company gets sucked up by a conglomerate?
Many times, this is the goal of the entrepreneurs who started the small, successful company; to be bought out by a giant conglomerate so the founders can either keep running their company (with vastly more resources) or retire to a shack on the beach.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Harry's Razors Bought by Schick
...because they couldn't afford their own brands.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM

If you can't beat 'em, kill 'em. In 3 years we'll be able to get Harrys at Wal*Mart--basically Schick stuff with different labels--and men everywhere will wonder what was the big deal about Harrys?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
If you can't beat 'em, kill 'em. In 3 years we'll be able to get Harrys at Wal*Mart--basically Schick stuff with different labels--and men everywhere will wonder what was the big deal about Harrys?
I got a set of Harry's at WalMart a few months back. I wasn't impressed. Good shave, but the blades rusted after a week.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
I got a set of Harry's at WalMart a few months back. I wasn't impressed. Good shave, but the blades rusted after a week.
How long has that been going on? I thought they were mail order only. Kind of screws up my whole snarky comment.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
How long has that been going on? I thought they were mail order only. Kind of screws up my whole snarky comment.
It was back in January, I think. $9.99 for the handle and 2 blades. An additional $9.99 for a pack of 5 blades. It was honestly a great deal, and if they had been better razors, I would've kept getting them. Since I only use razors to clean up the parts of my face that aren't beard, they usually last quite some time.

And I'm sorry for the Taming of the Snark. Rest assured, the spirit lives on.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
They sell them retail at Target (at least here in New York).

I've never tried them.

Some years back, I got sick of Gillette's obnoxious pricing. At one point Mach 3 cartridges had gone up to something like $18.99 for a package of five. So I went looking for an alternative.

I found Pace cartridge razors, manufactured by Dorco, who supplies Dollar Shave Club. They're fine. Just as nice. I would have given Harry's a shot, but I stumbled across the Pace blades first, and I was perfectly happy with them.

And the price of Mach 3 cartridges has come down quite a bit in the last few years, very likely because of competition from Harry's and Dollar Shave Club.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 05-16-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
It was back in January, I think. $9.99 for the handle and 2 blades. An additional $9.99 for a pack of 5 blades. It was honestly a great deal, and if they had been better razors, I would've kept getting them. Since I only use razors to clean up the parts of my face that aren't beard, they usually last quite some time.
I think the Harry's products have been available at Target since sometime in 2016. And if Walmart sold a five pack of blades for ten bucks, that's two bucks for each blade. Costco sells a pack of sixteen replacement blades for the Gillette Fusion razor for $45 (and sometimes it's only $40), so that's only a little bit more. I don't know if Harry's and Dollar Shave Club have put downward pressure on Gillette, but the prices really aren't that different.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 05-16-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I don't know if Harry's and Dollar Shave Club have put downward pressure on Gillette, but the prices really aren't that different.
They're not that different now, but five years ago the difference was huge. So my guess is there has indeed been downward pressure.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Ummm....

Having ignored the Harry's and the Dollar Shave ads and hype forever, I'm still clueless.
What WAS the big deal?

---G?
Police Officer Garfield: Real smooth shave!
.....Highlander