Old 08-13-2012, 03:39 AM
BANNED

cockroaches vs spiders, which is more disgusting to you?

I have little problem with spiders, no matter what kind they are. Heck, I think I got a few spiders in my room right now but I don't care. Saw a big tarantula-like spider in the kitchen some day ago and I poked it and let it go. Sometimes I even feel sorry for these "create a net and wait" type of spiders because they have nothing to eat inside indoor, so they are simply wasting time there and will starve to death for sure. i have encountered many different kinds of species of spiders in the flat it's interesting to see such diversity.

But cockroaches are a huge no-no, and they totally disgust me. The thing is, some people seem to be very scared of spiders. So which one you cannot tolerate, spiders or cockroaches, or both? Or you can tolerate them both......
Old 08-13-2012, 03:50 AM

Reported for move to IMHO - not one of the greater debates of the ages there

Anyway, to me, cockroaches are filthy, and I hate even squishing them because they're all meaty and bloated and it gets everywhere and yuck ; but spiders are alien. Just... should not be in this world. Probably come from a crashed meteor or something. It's not that I'm scared of them, not as such - but they're really unnerving and repulsive to me. I will screech like a little girl if I spot one, and I *will* beg my girlfriend to dispose of it while I run and hide, possibly on top of a stool. There's just something not right about them. There are some photos floating around the net of people smiling with gigantic spiders on their faces and that's just... no. NO. WRONG.

Which is weird because I don't have a problem with crabs, which are pretty much your overgrown, battle-ready version of the average spider. But they don't have eight fricking eyes, either, so maybe that's it. Too many fucking eyes - what do they need with so many, anymay ? I could understand if they were at weird angles, but they're all facing the same way. Staring. Judging.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:22 AM

Cockroaches are worse. Little spiders don't bother me much at all unless they crawl on me or something, and spiders typically avoid doing that. The bigger ones like tarantulas are creepier, but still lack the sheer "yuck!" factor of roaches.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Too many fucking eyes - what do they need with so many, anymay ? I could understand if they were at weird angles, but they're all facing the same way. Staring. Judging.
Maybe you'll like this one better? (Warning: you almost certainly won't. In fact, I imagine many will find it even creepier.)

I'm wary of spiders, likely out of proportion to the probability and severity of a bite. I don't like having them in my immediate vicinity because I might accidentally squish one and get an unpleasant bite in the interval between "pressure" and "squish". If they get close, I usually try catch them and put them outside, but if they keep their distance, I mostly let them do their thing. They're not disgusting.

Cockroaches, on the other hand, are the hated enemies of my people. Nasty, persistent, stinky wretches they are, and we hates them, my precious. I grew up in a TV repair shop, and sets came in from infested houses. You could tell from the reek that they were full of roaches, living on piles of their own dead. (Yes, literally. Opening up a machine and seeing an avalanche of roach corpses cascading out onto your workbench as their living relative scurry for cover is pretty revolting.) We had an ongoing infestation in the shop, no matter how much we sprayed or cleaned, because new waves came in every day. The war went on for years; there were lulls, and we found tactics that slowed down the invaders, but we didn't manage to clear the place until the ultimate weapon dropped into our laps: a bunch of geckos moved in.

Of course, we then had lizard crap to deal with, but that was an acceptable price to pay. Better to wield the world's tiniest pooper-scooper than deal with roaches every day.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Maybe you'll like this one better? (Warning: you almost certainly won't. In fact, I imagine many will find it even creepier.)

I'm wary of spiders, likely out of proportion to the probability and severity of a bite. I don't like having them in my immediate vicinity because I might accidentally squish one and get an unpleasant bite in the interval between "pressure" and "squish". If they get close, I usually try catch them and put them outside, but if they keep their distance, I mostly let them do their thing. They're not disgusting.

Cockroaches, on the other hand, are the hated enemies of my people. Nasty, persistent, stinky wretches they are, and we hates them, my precious. I grew up in a TV repair shop, and sets came in from infested houses. You could tell from the reek that they were full of roaches, living on piles of their own dead. (Yes, literally. Opening up a machine and seeing an avalanche of roach corpses cascading out onto your workbench as their living relative scurry for cover is pretty revolting.) We had an ongoing infestation in the shop, no matter how much we sprayed or cleaned, because new waves came in every day. The war went on for years; there were lulls, and we found tactics that slowed down the invaders, but we didn't manage to clear the place until the ultimate weapon dropped into our laps: a bunch of geckos moved in.

Of course, we then had lizard crap to deal with, but that was an acceptable price to pay. Better to wield the world's tiniest pooper-scooper than deal with roaches every day.
This was too much information. I kind of threw up.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Which is weird because I don't have a problem with crabs, which are pretty much your overgrown, battle-ready version of the average spider. But they don't have eight fricking eyes, either, so maybe that's it.
A lot of people say that. But they are generally people who aren't aware that there's a species of crab that's three feet wide, has similar leg/body proportions to a spider, can climb walls and is known for climbing into people's houses via open windows. No, really.

----------------

But to the OP; there's a difference between disgust and anxiety. A turd is disgusting but not particularly scary. Something sharp hanging just above my head would make me nervous but isn't disgusting.
So my answer is: I find cockroaches more disgusting. But that doesn't mean I'm fine with spiders.

-----------------

The coconut crab
Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 AM

When it comes to roaches and spiders of similar size the spider will always win out. Otherwise it's whichever is bigger.

So a small spider versus a small roach: The spider is worse. But a small spider versus a huge fucking roach... ugh, the roach wins out. There's nothing worse than a huge spider.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 AM

Spiders aren't gross. Spiders are scary.
Roaches aren't (very) scary. Roaches are gross.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Spiders aren't gross. Spiders are scary.
Roaches aren't (very) scary. Roaches are gross.
This is my opinion also.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 AM

Spiders. Cockroaches are just icky. Spiders are evil.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 AM

Well, of course cockroaches are worse. They are attracted to filth and are known to be around filth, which is why people think they're gross. Cockroaches are affiliated with unclean. They must be eliminated, no question, no debate.

Spiders are scary, but not in the same way. They are associated with dust and neglect, but not filth. Spiders are creepy, but also beneficial, as they eat bugs. I can deal with small spiders, but the big web spinners like the ones I can't reach outside my kitchen window really squick me out. I have a deal with them - don't come inside and I won't kill you. It may be an empty deal, though. I might be too scared to try to squish it if one of those big juicy things comes in here. Just thinking about the squished mess kinda freaks me out.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 AM

I have anew found respect for spiders. lately I have been getting up at 3 am and going out onto the patio for a smoke. Spiders of kinds I have never seen are prowling the patio for crickets. Some jump on them, others run them down while others ambush or sneak up on them. They appear intelligent in their hunts which are purposeful and are most effective when making a kill.

Last edited by HoneyBadgerDC; 08-13-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 AM

Disgusting? Neither. Both are extremely well-adapted to their environments, with spiders (all gazillion species of them) being some of the most versatile predators in the world, and cockroaches being supremely flexible in search of survival.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Cockroaches are definitely more disgusting.

Cockroaches eat & contaminate things I eat; spiders eat things that eat & contaminate things I eat = The enemy of my enemies is my friend.

Also, did Vincent Price ever perform the introduction to or appear with Alice Cooper for a song about cockroaches as he did about The Black Widow?
(7:14 long video)
Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Cockroaches are portrayed as being disgusting, while spiders as having a repulsive appearance, and people having a natural fear of them. So cockroaches seem more disgusting to me. Spiders are pretty cool looking, but they do have a frightful appearance when seen close up. Roaches appearance is more like more generic bugs.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 AM

Has there ever been a superhero called The Amazing Cockroach-Man? No, and there never will be. Because cockroaches are the most sickening creatures on earth.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
Has there ever been a superhero called The Amazing Cockroach-Man? No, and there never will be. Because cockroaches are the most sickening creatures on earth.
Brilliant! No Amazing Centipede, either.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
If there was, his power would be grossing out his enemies.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
THIS.

Spiders really are kinda cool - unique in their body type, variety of colors, and hunting styles, they exude a kind of grace. Cockroaches, on the other hand, will never be mistaken for graceful. Filthy, crunchy things that run unsettlingly fast for their bloated bodies and exist in the horrible shadowy places of the world.

A good test to determine which is worse: imagine you're lying in bed, about to drift off when you feel a tickle on your leg. You pull back the covers. Which would you rather find? For me, even a fairly large spider would beat a roach.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Just think about the implications. If I have a cockroach on my leg in bed (eek!) I know I now have a cockroach problem. And they are notoriously hard to get rid of.

MOAR spiders, please.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Cockroaches, no contest. They carry filth and disease and don't provide any benefits. Spiders don't eat your food, they kill vermin. Every fly in a spiderweb is one less fly to transmit disease to you.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Has there ever been a superhero called The Amazing Cockroach-Man? No, and there never will be.
Well, there was at least one. But I admit it was parody.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Word up my man, and yet there is a superhero with a spider motif and that's Spider-Man.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:08 PM

Which are more disgusting? Definitely cockroaches, but that's just to speak for the pest species, such the American, German, Oriental, and brown banded. As you know not all roach species are pests, and I can tolerate the non-pest species.

As for spiders they are clearly a winner in the creepy crawly world.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Neither bother me at all- I've had pet tarantulas and hissing cockroaches.

The only non-dangerous animals that bother me at all are the Daddy-long-legs flies, because their legs drop off in your hand when you're trying to help them out of a window, which makes me feel guilty for helping them. Frankly, I'm pretty fascinated by most dangerous animals too...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 AM

I don't, at all, understand the disgust and hatred people have for spiders. Fear, sure, I can understand that, but even when they're out of sight, people hate them. They kill all the other nasty creepy crawlies!

Cockroaches by a mile, and both of those are child's play compared to the horror that is the house centipede.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 PM

I like spiders. I think they are pretty, and many are quite cute to me. They are cool to watch, and they are smart, and Charlotte was a spider and she saved Wilbur so there you go.

Cockroaches are the embodiment of evil disgustingness. They are the ugliest color in the world. Their legs are horrible. They have ugly faces. They WILL crawl on you, and they can FLY!!!! which is just... oh my god so awful, and they make that awful sound when they fly. They are THE WORST except maybe house centipedes, but I've never seen one of those in person (THANK GOD) so for me cockroaches win.

Ugh.

FUCK COCKROACHES
Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss elizabeth View Post
I like spiders. I think they are pretty, and many are quite cute to me. They are cool to watch, and they are smart, and Charlotte was a spider and she saved Wilbur so there you go.

Cockroaches are the embodiment of evil disgustingness. They are the ugliest color in the world. Their legs are horrible. They have ugly faces. They WILL crawl on you, and they can FLY!!!! which is just... oh my god so awful, and they make that awful sound when they fly. They are THE WORST except maybe house centipedes, but I've never seen one of those in person (THANK GOD) so for me cockroaches win.

Ugh.

FUCK COCKROACHES
Thank you, that was well-written. Ladies and gentlemen, I hereby submit miss elizabeth's post as my answer as well.

Gawd, I hate those shiny brown wings. It's a visceral reaction; I know they can't actually hurt me.

Shiny brown cat = "awwww, pretty kitteh! I will pet you and hug you and squeeze you and ..."
Shiny brown roach = "AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss elizabeth View Post

Ugh.

FUCK COCKROACHES
This expresses my sentiments pretty exactly. I find spiders fascinating and roaches disgusting.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Most common spiders don't really annoy or scare me, if I saw a tarantula or a black widow though I would certainly be freaked out! I lived in Spain for 3 months and when I first moved into my room there were crazy cockroaches everywhere, some between 3/4 inches long, so I have to say cockroaches.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:09 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Modding

Not a debate, more of an opinion question. Moving to IMHO from Great Debates.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Cockroaches, easy. They're so dirty and don't even have any cool or unique body structure, unlike spiders. Spiders are awesome.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:18 PM
BANNED

Spiders are scary. Particularly the big black widows that live near me. EEEeeeeeekkkk! We also have wolf spiders. The freak me out like a MeanOldLady. Cockroaches are just mildly unpleasant by comparison.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 PM

I've never actually seen a cockroach in person. I find them more disgusting because of their affinity for trash. Spiders still creep me out pretty bad (because I've seen jumping spiders, so I worry that every spider I see is going to jump on me/bite me/run into my ear), but they're less disgusting than roaches.

I run into spiders pretty often though, so I am trying to learn to make my peace with them. I kind of have a spider buddy right now, he keeps building his house on my car's driver side mirror. The web gets torn all to shit when I drive to work (the first time I saw him, he was clinging to his guide thread for dear life at 55mph), but he just rebuilds it every night. I admire his persistence! I named him Spidey the Retarded. But he's kind of cute in his bumbling idiocy, and he hasn't jumped on me or made any attempt to enter the vehicle proper, so I let him live. Yesterday, I watched him tenderly wrap up a bird feather that landed on his web and drag it into his house, behind the mirror. I don't know if he thought it was food, or if he wanted a pillow.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM

cockroaches win, hands-down. dirty, nasty, icky, disgusting!!! ew ew ew ew!!

i actually prefer to have one or two spiders in the house. unfortunately, they don't last very long, thanks to three active cats, but while they survive, they do reduce any potential bug population such as mosqitoes, etc., to zero.

i admit wolf spiders do freak me out a bit, but as long as they leave me alone, i leave them alone. i think i've seen maybe four of them in sixteen years of living in this condo.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM

I have spiders around all the time. They don't bother me, and if one is in a bad spot, I'll often try to move it outside. Last summer we had some sort of spider that spun a web between two trees in our backyard. The cool part? The trees are 25 feet apart.

Roaches? They get no mercy, and if found in the house, will be vacuumed, squashed and gassed until they are dead dead dead!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Cockroaches are just too fucking fast. I know there are fast spiders but all roaches are way too fast and sneaky.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 PM

To me, cockroaches are just bugs. Mercifully, I haven't had to deal with them for almost 20 years. Never had 'em apart from when I was in an apartment in Georgia, but even then I just took them as a sign that I needed to live cleaner and keep the food sealed up better. They're little opportunistic thieves (hominid versions of which also plagued the aparment complex), but nothing more.

Spiders scare the living shit out of me when I'm not ready for them. I can look at them in a web or whatever with no general feelings at all apart from wonder and some kind of respect. But when they get in my bed or on me because they built a web on my stuff or in my path--little girl city. It's the bank of eyes (what else on this planet has more than 2 eye-things?), the extra pair of legs, the violence and intimacy of their predation that sets them apart from the fly or even the hornet that bumps into me while going about its business. They're just wrong, like the mocking and hateful creation of one of God's adversaries, the bulk of whose creations are in a parallel universe.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 PM

I think that many spiders are interesting and even beautiful, and most don't bother me at all. Cockroaches, however, I absolutely detest.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Spiders bite and poison you and make you itch, but roaches are nasty and gross, so my answer is both.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Cockroaches. Spiders are pretty and they eat the crap you don't want flying around your house, anyway. I'm not superstitious, but I was taught from a very early age to never ever kill a spider (something about bad luck or another) and, as far as I know, I never have. At worst, I'd capture it and let it outside. Usually, though, I'd just leave it be. Spiders are cool by me.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Cockroaches are ICK! Gross and disgusting.
I don't like spiders, I've been bitten way too many times.

I lived in a house infested with spiders (along with a snake and a toad).
I could never live in a house infested with cockroaches.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Another one for cockroaches, because they are dirty and much more likely to contaminate food and be pests than spiders; you might come across a spider from time to time but with roaches you can end up with hundreds. Although finding a bunch of spider webs on something in the basement or closet, under furniture, etc, is also gross (not the spiders, the webs, which for the most part never have any spiders in sight).

Oh yeah, a semi-personal experience (before I was born) - when my parents first moved into their house, it was infested with roaches, something apparently not disclosed at the time (although I never saw more than an occasional roach - yay for pest control).

The house I'm in now has had (still has?) mice in it, but nothing serious, don't remember the last time I saw a roach but saw a spider on the wall just the other day (I left it alone).
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 PM

With most insects/arachnids, my general rule is live and let live. They do their thing, I do mine.

For spiders, the exception is twofold. First, don't be venomous. Second, not in my bed. I actually kill most of the spiders I find in the house, because most are brown recluses and thus violate the venomous rule. Otherwise they're left alone to eat mosquitoes, but they end up et by kitteh eventually.

Roaches die on sight, whether German or American. Luckily, I've never lived in a place that had any kind of roach problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM

I've never seen a cockroach in the wild, although they do apparently exist in the UK.

But I think that if I found a cockroach in my house, the most terrifying thought would be that there are hundreds more hidden away. At least spiders are solitary.

Plus, no matter how terrified I am of spiders, they can be vaccuumed up easily. Not so much with cockroaches, I imagine. Too big and...meaty... ::shudder::
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
But I think that if I found a cockroach in my house, the most terrifying thought would be that there are hundreds more hidden away.
Just so. If you see one, then every time you open a cabinet, or (shudder) look under the sink, you brace yourself for a posse of gross. It wears on your mind.

I don't know why I keep reading this thread. I hate even thinking about roaches. They're so far above and beyond other life forms on the Disgust-o-Meter. Kill kill kill and incinerate the corpses.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 AM

When I was growing up in SoCal, we didn't have much of a variety of bugs - or at least none that found their way into anywhere I lived. If I saw a spider, no matter how small, I would be a shreiking bundle of terror. It could be dime sized and up in the furthest corner of the ceiling and I would see it immediately and could not, WOULD NOT rest until someone, usually my dad, killed it.

Today, living in Florida where roaches are the size of airbuses, when I see a spider in the house, I gently take it outside as thanks and reward for not being a roach. Good god, people; how can there be any contest.

I notice people keep asscociating roaches with filth. My hatred and disgust burns with atomic heat but I never particularly associated them with dirt. Are you mostly referring to the German variety that gather in packs of a thousand and live in city apartments? The beasts I'm talkin' 'bout are about three inches long and usually travel solo. And fly. And are nearly indestructable.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 PM

How is this even a question? Spiders are proof that there is no god, because even he wouldn't create such a damned thing. They should all be nuked from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Insects can and will harm you. They spread disease. They eat your food. They befoul your food. Some of them see you as food. And there are far, far more of them than you can reasonably kill. So the gods, in their compassion and wisdom, provide you with a free, (mostly) harmless, all-natural, no-maintenance-required system to combat their infestation, and you call it wrong and unnatural and claim it's worse than the bugs. Spiders are proof of a benevolent higher power, albeit one that doesn't want you to get TOO comfortable.

Asking which is more disgusting is like asking which is darker, a 20-watt bulb or a black hole.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Almost 40 years ago I went into my baby's room in the morning and heard an odd buzzing in the corner. It was a yellow jacket securely caught in a spider web. Yay spider!