Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2019, 04:21 PM

Again Kobal2 you miss the context of the room. Those intellectuals writing those longform bits are not succeeding in changing anyone's minds but they also are not trying to. They are aware that they are preaching to others who already think like they do and have escounced themselves safely in that room. They are playing for likes among their peer group.

Meanwhile you ignore the clear evidence I have presented that liberal views are in fact actually making steady gains in the marketplace of ideas.

To both you and MrDibble - I do not believe that this board allowing me to say something means that the board approves of what I say. I don't believe you really do either. They approve my being allowed to say it, yes.

I think I have shared this before. I grew up near Skokie and was 18 when the American Nazis wanted to march there. My take then (and it would be the same today) was that they should be given approval to march. No, that was not approval of their ideas.

IF they marched and no one watched them or to responded to them, preferring instead (as I was advocated for at the time) to go to a circus set up as an alternate activity, to mock them, would the community had been approving of their ideas?

When you refuse to feed a troll are you approving of what they say?

Back to the point of this thread - the issue is not either or for this board or any of its individual fora. Pretty much everyone agrees that there are some constraints that should be placed and different ones in different fora. And no one thinks that we should make this a safe place where there is no risk that anyone will ever be offended and no potentially sensitive subjects can be discussed. Really the question is just about where the sweet spot for the line is.