Old 10-26-2019, 07:27 PM

Fatigue had caused him to discard his body amour. It was of no realistic use anyway, and just made him hotter and sweatier, made stealthy movement more difficult – and weighed him down.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:01 AM

Second, put on your war suit. This is the standard self-sealing body-length unitard that covers everything but the face. The unitard is designed to let you forget about your body for the length of the battle. The “fabric” of organized nanobots lets in light for photosynthesis and regulates heat; stand on an arctic floe or a Saharan sand dune and the only difference your body notes is the visual change in scenery. If you somehow manage to sweat, your unitard wicks it away, filters it and stores the water until you can transfer it to a canteen. You can deal with urine this way, too. Defecating in your unitard is generally not recommended.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:35 PM

I served my time in vac suits, working outside under the big, black sky that wrapped all the way around and seemed to pull at me like a magnet that would suck me away into its deepest, blackest depths.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:58 PM

The dark had shot across the sky before we'd started our good-byes, and it was black night now, darker than I had ever seen in my lifetime.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:51 PM

I laugh, and it's laughter, not light, that casts out the darkness building within me, that reminds me I am still alive, even in this strange place where everything I've ever known is coming apart.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:19 PM

It is said that, as he wandered the streets of the City, an ancient jackbird cycled three times above him, then came to rest upon Sam's shoulder, saying: "Are you not Maitreya, Lord of Light, for whom the world has waited, lo, these many years–he whose coming I prophesyed long ago in a poem?"
"No, my name is Sam," he replied, "and I am about to depart the world, not enter into it. Who are you?"
"I am a bird who was once a poet. All morning have I flown, since the yawp of Garuda opened the day. I was flying about the ways of Heaven looking for Lord Rudra, hoping to befoul him with my droppings, when I felt the power of a weird come over the land. I have flown far, and I have seen many things, Lord of Light."
"What things have you seen, bird who was a poet?"
"I have seen an unlit pyre set at the end of the world, with fogs stirring all about it. I have seen the gods who come late hurrying across the snows and rushing through the upper airs, circling outside the dome. I have seen the players upon the ranga and the nepathya, rehearsing the Masque of Blood, for the wedding of Death and Destruction. I have seen the Lord Vayu raise up his hand and stop the winds that circle through Heaven. I have seen all-colored Mara atop the spire of the highest tower, and I have felt the power of the weird he lays–for I have seen the phantom cats troubled within the wood, then hurrying in this direction. I have seen the tears of a man and of a woman. I have heard the laughter of a goddess. I have seen a bright spear uplifted against the morning, and I have heard an oath spoken. I have seen the Lord of Light at last, of whom I wrote, long ago: Always dying, never dead; Ever ending, never ended; Loathed in darkness, Clothed in light, He comes, to end a world, As morning ends the night. These lines were writ By Morgan, free, Who shall, the day he dies, See this prophecy."
The bird ruffled his feathers then and was still.
"I am pleased, bird, that you have had a chance to see many things," said Sam, "and that within the fiction of your metaphor you have achieved a certain satisfaction. Unfortunately, poetic truth differs considerably from that which surrounds most of the business of life."
"Hail, Lord of Light!" said the bird, and sprang into the air. As he rose, he was pierced through by an arrow shot from a nearby window by one who hated jackbirds.
Sam hurried on.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:23 PM

Off topic: Please remember that quotes shouldn't be more than a paragraph or so long. Otherwise, the copyright holders could get upset. Thanks.

In play: When I first saw you, you were on the highest balcony of Tatum House, precariously leaning over the edge with your arms spread wide. Like a little bird about to fly. Even now, you seem poised for flight at any given moment.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:00 PM

The rocket lay on the launching field, blowing out pink clouds of fire and oven heat. The rocket stood in the cold winter morning, making summer with every breath of its mighty exhausts. The rocket made climates, and summer lay for a brief moment upon the land....
Old 11-07-2019, 07:07 PM

Come on, Rory! It isn't rocket science, it's just quantum physics!
Old 11-08-2019, 05:57 PM

And the truth is, versions of me probably have deserted; however stable my personality, it’s hard to believe that there are no valid quantum permutations entailing such an action. Whatever the physically possible choices are, my alter egos have made – and will continue to make – every single one of them.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:12 PM

It's an event horizon made up of quantum particles that form a wormhole.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:08 AM

The fourth approved approach for the problem of frontally attacking a guarded wormhole was to shoot the officer who suggested it.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:53 PM

"Have we no commanders competent in this sort of exercise?"

"If you define competence as the ability to defy the laws of physics, then no, my lord. We do not."
Old 11-14-2019, 09:33 PM

Yuen said, “To us, their structure wouldn’t look like ‘structure’ at all. The simplest unit might involve a group of thousands of atoms – representing a trans-astronomical number – not necessarily even bonded together in any conventional way, but breaking the normal consequences of the laws of physics, obeying a different set of high-level rules which arise from the alternative mathematics.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:26 PM

They knew enough of vector analysis to find their way around unassisted in electrical engineering and electronics; they knew classical geometry and trigonometry well enough for the astrogating of a space ship, and they had had enough of non-Euclidean geometry, tensor calculus, statistical mechanics, and quantum theory to get along with an atomic power plant.

But it had never occurred to them that they had not yet really penetrated the enormous and magnificent field of mathematics.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:13 PM

“XVI plus IXX,” Ganil said impatiently, “what the devil, boy, can’t you add?” The apprentice flushed red. “Isn’t it XXXVI, then, Master Ganil?” he asked feebly. For answer Ganil jammed one of the rods the boy had been machining into its place in the steam engine that was being repaired; it was too long by an inch.

“It’s because my rule of thumb’s so long, sir,” the boy said, displaying his knobby hands. The distance between first and second thumb-joint was in fact unusually long. “So it is,” Ganil said. His dark face darkened. “Very interesting. But it doesn’t matter how long your inch is so long as you use it consistently. And what matters, you blockhead, is that XVI and IXX don’t make XXXVI, never have, never can, never will till the world ends—you incompetent gentile!”
Old 11-19-2019, 01:54 PM

Mathematicians deal with large numbers sometimes, but never in their income.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:27 PM

A. No, sir. Scientific truth is beyond loyalty and disloyalty."
Q. You are sure that your statement represents scientific truth?
A. I am.
Q. On what basis?
A. On the basis of the mathematics of psychohistory.
Q. Can you prove that this mathematics is valid?
A. Only to another mathematician.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:38 AM

“You are a slow learner, Winston."

"How can I help it? How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."

"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.”
Old 11-23-2019, 07:35 PM

"Why is your number 7/8?"

"All the whole numbers have been retired."
Old 11-24-2019, 02:50 PM

After an hour, I was so jumpy that it was a miracle I hadn’t blown my foot off. I unloaded the gun, then sat playing Russian roulette with the empty barrel. In spite of everything, I still wasn’t ready to put a bullet in anyone’s brain for the sake of defending the axioms of number theory.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:36 AM

The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred an twelve meters.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:39 PM

“Fantasy. Lunacy.
All revolutions are, until they happen, then they are historical inevitabilities.”
Old 11-29-2019, 02:52 PM

She got up so hastily that she lurched, and grabbed at the chairback to make sure she did not fall. She went down the hall to the bathroom and looked in the big mirror there. Her grey knot was loose and droopy, she hadn’t done it up well before breakfast. She struggled with it a while. It was hard to keep her arms up in the air. Amai, running in to piss, stopped and said, “Let me do it!” and knotted it up tight and neat in no time, with her round, strong, pretty fingers, smiling and silent. Amai was twenty, less than a third of Laia’s age. Her parents had both been members of the Movement, one killed in the insurrection of ’60, the other still recruiting in the South Provinces. Amai had grown up in Odonian Houses, born to the Revolution, a true daughter of anarchy. And so quiet and free and beautiful a child, enough to make you cry when you thought: this is what we worked for, this is what we meant, this is it, here she is, alive, the kindly, lovely future.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:27 PM

Rumored to be a thousand murdered dissidents, they said he was a ghost. A walking dead man. A symbol of rebellion that would never fade as long as the system survived. Anarchy in black.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:20 PM

“Don't come back till you have him!" the Ticktockman said, very quietly, very sincerely, extremely dangerously.

They used dogs. They used probes. They used cardioplate crossoffs. They used teepers. They used bribery. They used stiktytes. They used intimidation. They used torment. They used torture. They used finks. They used cops. They used search&seizure. They used fallaron. They used betterment incentive. They used fingerprints. They used the Bertillon system. They used cunning. They used guile. They used treachery. They used Raoul Mitgong, but he didn't help much. They used applied physics. They used techniques of criminology.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:55 PM

I'll bring you the alien, the creature, the being, right here on your table.