Old 11-22-2019, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I have been getting phone calls, a recording that announces something about Bank of America <muffled> Chinese <muffled> Start recording now then segues into something in spoken Chinese ... at which time I tend to hang up.

No idea what they are wanting, I don't happen to speak Chinese.

I also had an odd happening on my phone, something in Russian appeared on my calendar, 2 different 'appointments' everyday, one at 0200 and the other at 0400 - again, no idea how it got there [I don't do email or go to any random internet sites, I have 2 that I regularly go to and I will occasionally google for directions] but I was able to decline all instances and get it off my calendar.
That's actually a known spam technique. . You can tweak your settings to prevent it from happening.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
I needed a new picture window and a window salesman just happened to be walking by. When I asked him for a price he told me he didn't know, his job was to set up appointments for the real salesman. Ok, so I started setting up an appointment. Then he asked for a time when both my wife and I could be there, so I told him I wasn't married (I'm married). Two days before the scheduled appointment I get a phone call saying that they looked up my house and discovered I was married and I needed to schedule an appointment for when both my wife and I would be available. Needless to say I cancelled my appointment using a lot of foul language.
First off, Could you imaging if it was my wife that made the appointment and they told her she needed her husband there to make a purchase? That shit would not fly.
Second, What kind of a low down, piece of shit, company needs to work spouses off each other to make a sale? Do they hold training courses in identifying the weak spouse and driving a wedge in their marriage?
Friends of ours have had a similar experience - they won't talk to just the wife.

In one case, they refused to take no for an answer - as there WAS no husband to be there.

It's a reasonably reliable way to lose the sale completely, I would think.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Here's one I've encountered recently -- furniture stores with "free" delivery. Free delivery means they will drive the truck to your house and unload the furniture on the curb. If you want them to actually bring it into the house, they want to tack on a $40 or $50 surcharge.
There are reports of American Home Shield (you may have seen their Grim Reaper commercial) pulling this in reverse: they'll pull a non-functioning appliance out and put a new one in but that old one will sit on the curb until they're paid to take it away, often for not much less than what that new appliance costs. Assuming they decide to even honor that coverage in the first place.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-22-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Won't a metal scrapper just take a dead appliance left on the curb? So what's the incentive for the customer to pay American Home Shield to remove it?
Old 11-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Won't a metal scrapper just take a dead appliance left on the curb? So what's the incentive for the customer to pay American Home Shield to remove it?
IIRC, that's after the policyholder manages to convince them to get the thing off their truck.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-22-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Friends of ours have had a similar experience - they won't talk to just the wife.

In one case, they refused to take no for an answer - as there WAS no husband to be there.

It's a reasonably reliable way to lose the sale completely, I would think.
In my area, and I assume many others, door to door sales people have to get a permit from the city. That being said, if you're having a problem with one, call the police. Their permit will be revoked
Also, they must leave if asked. Of course, that's not restricted to door to door people, anyone must leave if asked. If they don't, their trespassing. I imagine a call to 911 telling them that you're trying to get someone to leave your house and they're refusing will get a quick response, both from the police and the salesman.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
A few years ago, I got a set of new appliances. The delivery people first wheeled the old appliances out onto the sidewalk, then brought in the new ones. By the time they got the first new appliance into the house (not even installed) and went to get the second one, the old ones had disappeared from the sidewalk.

Similarly, when I got a new furnace installed, the installers just wheeled the old one into the alley and one of them said, "if it's still there when we're ready to leave, we'll call someone." Sure enough, it was gone in less than an hour.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:41 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
The Chinese-language robocalls are, from what I've read, claiming to be from the Chinese embassy or the Chinese government saying that you need to pay money to them or face arrest. As you can guess, they're aimed mostly at Chinese people living in the US. And that tells you just how cheap these calls must be, given that only a tiny fraction of the people in the US are the target and yet they're calling numbers seemingly at random.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
My wife is from China and we got one of these calls on our answering machine. In the message, they stated that the Chinese embassy was holding a package for us and to call them back at the number provided. Our assumption was that they would require some kind of delivery fee and then disappear, but we never did call the number so we don't know how the scam would have proceeded from there.
Ah, I figured that was pretty much the case =)
Quote:
That's actually a known spam technique. . You can tweak your settings to prevent it from happening.
Done =)

Just had a blast screwing with a Robert Brown on Face Book ... Got a message asking me to friend him, so I did the fair thing and went to his page to see what he had for public access. Pics - about 5 of them. Distinguished looking army guy, officer, serious rank, JCOS badge, infantry rifle, armored badge, some other odds and ends. Pacific rim sort, showed one pic seeming to involve Hawaii. SO I friended him and we started to chat ... basic pleasantries, nothing particularly serious - me being in CT, he was originally from York PA. He is purportedly on the American Peacekeeping Force in Syria. I asked him what his favorite aspect of his MOS and his least favorite aspect ... his response - his favorite was access to getting into the military academy, his least favorite was having his daughter! I finally got tired of messing with him and defriended him as I had stuff I needed to do
Old 11-23-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
They are, but there are still enough "tells" on junk mail that a seasoned junk mail recipient is rarely fooled.
When I go through the mail at work, I toss the junk mail (80% of my mail) without opening it.

A few years ago our phone company went through a bankruptcy and got a new name. The new phone company's first bill looked like junk mail, so I tossed it. Apparently most other people did as well. They redesigned their envelope and resent the bills, with no surcharge for not paying the original.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Just give them a fake and extremely rude email address. It's what I do.
Dang! Now I kinda want to go out and buy a printer, even though there's nothing wrong with the one I've got, just so I can do this! Shoot, I may just change my email ferreals--my friends will understand and everyone else can … well I don't care about them.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Just give them a fake and extremely rude email address. It's what I do.
I do something similar in the analog world. When someone asks for my home address, I give them 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, {Hometown}. Hey, I live in England - nobody has ever even queried it.

j
Old 11-25-2019, 05:43 AM

I just fell for a slimy sails technique. Not terribly slimy, but not terribly clean either.

We are going through a technology change in my city, and my phone is going to be disconnected. That is real, it is going to happen.

We just got a letter, around October 7, telling us that our phone would be disconnected on around October 21. So we rushed around an got the new technology sorted, using our existing supplier, not really looking around for anything else.

Then noticed that the date, right there in the letter, was October 21 2020. They hadn't done anything slimy at all!. They just managed to get us signed up and transferred over by the 'lucky accident' that we misread their fortuitously timed warning!

So not entirely slimy, but pretty dammed slick.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:59 PM

Mentioning phones reminded me of one from years ago. Actually it's pretty much the same as the tactic the OP described. A guy in a hard hat and AT&T uniform came to my door, and when he answered he told me they had just installed their new fiber optic internet lines in my neighborhood, and he wanted to check that it hadn't interfered with my phone service. Ok, fine. I don't actually have a landline phone, and I told him so. When I did he immediately transitioned to a sales pitch for AT&T's new broadband internet service and tried to get me to sign up. It then became pretty obvious that the "checking to make sure they hadn't messed up my phone line" was just a ruse to get me to talk to him.

And then there was the vacuum cleaner salesman with the sales pitch scripted as to not leave any opening for the mark to say "not interested". "Hi we're offering free carpet cleaning of one room in your house which room would you say gets the most traffic?" Of course you can still say "not interested" after he finishes that spiel, which is what I did once I caught on to that tactic, but normal social rules make you feel like you're supposed to answer the guy's question.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:45 PM

Had $5 stolen from me by a Sonic car hops last week.

I placed a order that cost $5 and change. Gave her a $20. She acted oddly, handed me my change and bolted away. I had no opportunity at all to see what was handed to me. It was no accident. She didn't have any other items on her tray to deliver.

She shorted me a $5. Now was I going to complain and waste 20 mins talking to a 19 year old assistant manager? Nope. She won that one.

My own damn fault for not having smaller bills. I should have given her a $5 and a $1.

I dispise thieves.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-25-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

In my opinion, you should have brought it up. Even if you simply told them and didn't wait around for counting of the drawer (the usual next step).

This is necessary in order to establish a pattern--without people calling her on it, if she is a thief she is being enabled. Besides, they probably have video these days and the manager can look and see what is going on.
If the girl is a thief, she should lose her job. If not, she should have her chance to explain her error.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:29 PM

That's a good point. I was so annoyed with myself for not having any small bills. I still should have reported the incident to the manager.

It adds up quick if the car hop short changes several people a day.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-25-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:36 PM

My family recently did some estate planning, resulting in the deed for our house being transferred to my brother’s name. Almost immediately, he got a scammy bill from a deed recording service for $89.00. It looked very real, and I was getting ready to call our attorney when I saw the words “Not an Official Document” hidden somewhere on the bill, and I figured it out. These transactions are public records and the scammers take advantage of that. But I bet a lot of people fall for that one. It was really super scammy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple cow View Post
A friend of mine told me she had the same thing and it took her an hour on the phone to get it cancelled. Yay.
I just had to cancel my Verizon Fios, I’m moving to another state. And I’m moving in with people that already have TV/Internet/Phone and don't want to switch.
So when I called to cancel and they started in on the questions, I told them I was moving to Australia to live with my parents ( just on the remote chance that they actually have Fios in Australia, then I could talk about how my parents were honest to god Luddites.) So I got to cancel without going through the song and dance.

Quote:
I needed a new picture window and a window salesman just happened to be walking by. When I asked him for a price he told me he didn't know, his job was to set up appointments for the real salesman. Ok, so I started setting up an appointment. Then he asked for a time when both my wife and I could be there, so I told him I wasn't married (I'm married). Two days before the scheduled appointment I get a phone call saying that they looked up my house and discovered I was married and I needed to schedule an appointment for when both my wife and I would be available. Needless to say I cancelled my appointment using a lot of foul language.
First off, Could you imaging if it was my wife that made the appointment and they told her she needed her husband there to make a purchase? That shit would not fly.
Second, What kind of a low down, piece of shit, company needs to work spouses off each other to make a sale? Do they hold training courses in identifying the weak spouse and driving a wedge in their marriage?

I’m going to defend them, a little bit, in that in this type of home improvement sale it’s standard practice to require that all “decision-makers” are present for an in-home sales call.

I just completed a home renovation and I wanted one of those custom fitted liners for my old bath/shower so I called the local company that did that (although there’s a couple that claim to, with a little research I learned that there is really only one company in my area, the others subcontract to them.)

The in-home sales calls can require a lot of travel time and the salesman can only do so many in a day. And if they aren’t meeting with everybody that has a say in the decision, they figure they have no chance of closing the sale.

I live alone and although they asked me a couple of times if I were the sole decision maker, they made the appointment with just me. And I was a sure thing, I knew what I wanted, so the sales technique didn’t bother me.

But it’s weird to me that the guy wouldn’t meet with you if he was passing by. And it’s weird to me that they used the terms husband and wife .....that’s making an assumption about the spouse that’s no longer valid even in small town America.

The scheduler and salesman I talked with didn’t even seem to care if I was married, as long as I could assure them I was the sole decision-maker.

And, as an aside, being the sole decision-maker for a major renovation was hard. So many decisions, so many ways for them to be wrong, and no one that shared my self-interest to bounce them off. It’s literally the only time in my entire life that I found myself wishing I was married.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 11-25-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
...And, as an aside, being the sole decision-maker for a major renovation was hard. So many decisions, so many ways for them to be wrong, and no one that shared my self-interest to bounce them off. It’s literally the only time in my entire life that I found myself wishing I was married.
You could've asked us.

We would've said "Oh, prairie-style trim. That's fine." "So we're going to go find our own vintage doorknobs? Fine." "Seafoam foyer, huh, sounds fine."

As the husband in a big renovation, I can tell you that's what I spent six months saying. And it turned out... fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I also had an odd happening on my phone, something in Russian appeared on my calendar, 2 different 'appointments' everyday, one at 0200 and the other at 0400 - again, no idea how it got there.
Tovarische! You no come, we waiting for you at 2 then at 4 in am. Black van be stocked with armaments and disguises, but no comrade aru! So, we do caper without: Blow up theengs, keel moose and squirrel, get briefcase of rubles and... we spleet your share! Evvvvybody happy, vodka and pierogis for all!

Next time, be looking at calendar, is setting alarm, and get rubles!
Old 11-26-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
You could've asked us.

We would've said "Oh, prairie-style trim. That's fine." "So we're going to go find our own vintage doorknobs? Fine." "Seafoam foyer, huh, sounds fine."

As the husband in a big renovation, I can tell you that's what I spent six months saying. And it turned out fine.
When I look back, it seems funny that I was worried I wouldn’t stand up for myself enough, and that I might let the contractor push me into accepting things I shouldn’t.

Today I’m making him change or paint a bathroom cabinet because it’s the wrong shade of gray. Not a lot wrong, I bet most of you couldn’t tell the difference. I didn’t even notice until after the good lighting was installed. it’s a shade darker than my kitchen cabinet and I asked for the EXACT same color. Boo Hoo dude, words mean things and I didn’t ask you for a cabinet that was ALMOST the same color as my kitchen cabinets.

/End hijack

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 11-26-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
When I look back, it seems funny that I was worried I wouldn’t stand up for myself enough, and that I might let the contractor push me into accepting things I shouldn’t.

Today I’m making him change or paint a bathroom cabinet because it’s the wrong shade of gray. Not a lot wrong, I bet most of you couldn’t tell the difference. I didn’t even notice until after the good lighting was installed. it’s a shade darker than my kitchen cabinet and I asked for the EXACT same color. Boo Hoo dude, words mean things and I didn’t ask you for a cabinet that was ALMOST the same color as my kitchen cabinets.

/End hijack
If it was me, I'd be having him change it because otherwise, every time I looked at that cabinet, I'd think "You're such a wuss! You didn't speak up!"

BUT, if "Boo Hoo Dude" had countered with "We're really busy with another job, how 'bout if I just knock 500 bucks off the bill?"... well, then every time I looked at that cabinet, I'd think "You're such a rockstar! You spoke up and saved some coin!"
Old 11-27-2019, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
The last time I bought a new vehicle, doing the paperwork with the salesman. He mentioned the extended warranty, road hazard tire coverage, and gap insurance. Never asked if I wanted them, just mentioned them...
Don't forget the extra option to "protect" or "seal" the car's finish. If you don't buy that, your paint will oxidize to a powder within a year. And it will show fingerprints.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
That is strange, because my CD with a local credit union renews automatically by default. If I just want to renew it without making any changes I don't have to do anything at all. If I do want to make changes, or not renew it and just withdraw the money, I can do that over the phone. I don't think I can do it online, which would be nice. So I don't think you having to go in has anything to do with banking regulations unless those regulations are specific to your state.
It might be a brokered CD, which is a large CD that is broken down into $1000 smaller CDs for sale to retail customers and often has a slightly higher interest rate.

For example, Bank ABC issues a one million dollar CD and then that’s broken up into one thousand CDs with a value of $1000 each. Those $1000 CDs can then be sold by any financial institution but it needs to be done as a brokerage transaction rather than a banking one.

I know, that’s way too much information but that could be an explanation of needing to do in person rather than online. My information is about 15 years old and they were definitely a pain in the butt to deal with.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Shortly before they closed permanently, I was at CompUSA buying a desktop computer. I was at the register paying and the cashier asked me if I wanted the extended warranty. I told him no, definitely not.

When he asked me a second time I looked him in the eye and calmly told him I'd already answered that question and I was offended that he was asking me again. When he very nervously suggested that the extended warranty was actually a bargain, I told him I'd buy a computer elsewhere, and walked out.
A lot of these stores require the cashiers to offer the extended warranty and punish them if they don't meet the quota. It's a shame really...the people you should be mad at are management, not the poor retail clerks who have to push something they know is crap to keep their job.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
A lot of these stores require the cashiers to offer the extended warranty and punish them if they don't meet the quota. It's a shame really...the people you should be mad at are management, not the poor retail clerks who have to push something they know is crap to keep their job.
Buy not purchasing the product I was hitting back at management. The cashier still got paid for his work.

A similar thing happened at JC Pennys (sp?) the last time I bought clothes there. The cashier told me I'd get 20% off if I'd apply for a Pennys Charge. I declined. She kept arguing that it was a great deal and I kept declining. Eventually I screamed at her, " Just ring up my fucking order", and she did.

I swore I'd never spend another cent at Pennys and I haven't. The store shut down a few years later.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Terrific View Post
My wife just renewed her Sirius radio. She did cancel and waited two months and got an offer in the mail for a discounted price. She called and negotiated a price of $5.00 per month for 6 months.

Call the number and negotiate. You will get a better price.
I had a Sirius trial that came with the new car. I got a notice in the mail for a renewal at a fairly steep price.

I called up the sales dept. and told Ludmila in Kazakhstan that I was considering canceling the service and could they do any better on the price? Nope, no bargains to be had. So I hung up and called back, getting Arkadina on the sales desk, and just said I was canceling Sirius. Whoa, how about renewing at this (much lower) rate? OK.

As for supermarkets pricing items at 3 for $4.50, I've found that invariably you can get one for $1.50. It works out as a better deal since that extra avocado typically rots before you can eat it.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Buy not purchasing the product I was hitting back at management. The cashier still got paid for his work.

A similar thing happened at JC Pennys (sp?) the last time I bought clothes there. The cashier told me I'd get 20% off if I'd apply for a Pennys Charge. I declined. She kept arguing that it was a great deal and I kept declining. Eventually I screamed at her, " Just ring up my fucking order", and she did.

I swore I'd never spend another cent at Pennys and I haven't. The store shut down a few years later.
I hope your use of the word "screamed" is hyperbole. I really do hope that. I haven't noticed any reason to think ill of you before.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A similar thing happened at JC Pennys (sp?) the last time I bought clothes there. The cashier told me I'd get 20% off if I'd apply for a Pennys Charge. I declined. She kept arguing that it was a great deal and I kept declining.
I don't get the same satisfaction as you, but it's generally easier to lie and say, "already got one."
Old 11-29-2019, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

We constantly get our doorbell rung by contractors who are "doing a job just down the street" and would be happy to give us a free estimate. I courteously point out that they aren't wearing the solicitation tag my town requires, and they might want to check with city hall. A few of them have actually tried to push back, and I politely inform them that the cop assigned to patrol my neighborhood gets really annoyed about unregistered salespeople.

At that point, one of the pushier types actually backed away across the front yard, hand halfway up, insisting he was just trying to be helpful.

P.S., I have no idea how the cop who patrols our neighborhood feels about door to door salespeople.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Shortly before they closed permanently, I was at CompUSA buying a desktop computer.
Holy crap, CompUSA was bad.

Back when I would buy stuff there, they would infuriate me by having salespeople work the line at the cash registers. You'd be standing there with whatever you wanted to buy in your hand, there'd be two or three people ahead of you in line, and some dweeb would walk up to you and treat you as a captive audience, and start his spiel. Usually about an extended warranty, but sometimes about some other bullshit.

I stopped shopping there quite a while before they went out of business.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
They don't want to sell you one window. They want to sell you all the windows.

And they want to you take out a home equity loan to do it. They will have the paperwork handy. They looked up your house in some realtor's database and found out that you and your wife own the house jointly, so they need both of you there to sign the loan they're going to get you to take out. And they're going to make a ton of money off the loan. And they're going to install some garbage windows. If they bother to show up to install windows at all.

These people are beyond crooked.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I hope your use of the word "screamed" is hyperbole. I really do hope that. I haven't noticed any reason to think ill of you before.
You'd have to have been there. I condensed the interaction 500%.

For some reason the cashier decided my agreeing to a Pennys charge was her hill to die on. For each of my "no" replies she came back even harder with "I guess you weren't paying attention, so I'll go over it again. Applying costs nothing, and you get an immediate 20% off. You'd be a fool to not understand this".

I probably should have just walked out without the clothing, but I rarely shop for clothes and I'd spent an hour or so trying on pants. So, yeah, I raised my voice a hair and told her to just ring up my fucking purchase. Sometimes an f bomb is needed.

Of course, when I got home (a 35 minute drive) I discovered a pair of jeans with the anti-theft tag still attached.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Of course, when I got home (a 35 minute drive) I discovered a pair of jeans with the anti-theft tag still attached.
One time at K-Mart they didn't remove the anti-theft tag from some pants and they set off the alarm so I waited there for someone to help me, but no one looked up, so I just walked out again setting off the alarm again in the process, not knowing how hard it would be to get the tag off. Thankfully my pants were unharmed.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
The last time I bought a new vehicle, doing the paperwork with the salesman. He mentioned the extended warranty, road hazard tire coverage, and gap insurance. Never asked if I wanted them, just mentioned them.

When he printed out the paperwork with all the details, the bottom line was quite a bit higher than my mental math had estimated so I closely reviewed the line items. I would have reviewed them in any case, but I was extra critical in that instance.

There they were, warranty, coverage, and insurance. He wasn't thrilled when I had him remove them.

Of course, this isn't any new or improved tactic, just something to be expected from car salespeople.
Guy on the radio says he wants my car, in any shape or condition at all. Makes it really sound like he needs used cars.

I have an old junker I want to unload. I call them up get the receptionist, ask about details of them taking it off my hands for maybe a few bucks.

"Oh, please hold until I can put you on with a salesman."

Um, I'm not looking to buy any thing...hung up right then.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
And at some stores, if the cashier doesn't make the upsell quota s/he gets their hours cut.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Oh God, I used to hate that. I would respond with “I don’t know why anyone agrees to this, it screws up your credit rating.” And when they persisted, I would explain how unused credit lines can negatively impact you, and I’d turn slightly to make sure the people behind me in line heard me. They stopped pushing then, they usually couldn’t shut me up fast enough .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I remember buying a computer at, IIRC, CompUSA, and the salesman literally would not take no for an answer on the extended warranty. He told me he couldn’t let me buy the computer without the added warranty. He went and got his manager, who eventually “allowed” me to buy the computer.

These days I would’ve walked out. But this happened over twenty years ago, and on-line shopping was just not common in those days — the computer was the first generation Toshiba Libretto, I had a thing for small computers and purchased it on impulse- so it looks like this would’ve happened mid-1996. And it was sort of an unusual computer ( mini-laptop, less than 2 pounds and I could hold it in one hand) and it was too specialized to be carried at Best Buy or Staples.

So if I wanted it my choice was to buy it there, despite the pushy salesman, or find another CompUSA where I would probably encounter the same thing. So am bought it instead of walking out.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
One time at K-Mart they didn't remove the anti-theft tag from some pants and they set off the alarm so I waited there for someone to help me, but no one looked up, so I just walked out again setting off the alarm again in the process, not knowing how hard it would be to get the tag off. Thankfully my pants were unharmed.
Helpful hint from the Lock Picking Lawyer on Youtube
Old 11-30-2019, 04:24 PM

I bought a 2016 car in September, and the salesman tried to sell me the enhanced undercoating. I didn't even bother to point out that that stuff is applied at the factory, and if I wanted it, I couldn't buy the car he was trying to sell me.

I bought a pair of winter boots online a few months ago. Never heard anything back from the company until today, when I got an email saying, in broken English, that the shipper admitted to losing the package in transit. Unfortunately, the boots I ordered are now out of stock, and they hope I'll order something else from them soon. No mention of a refund or credit for the next purchase, so there won't be a next purchase.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Does click bait count as a "slimy saleshole tactic"? They aren't selling anything other than ad views, and aren't anything new, but they are deceptive. I usually know better than to click those "from around the web" you see on pretty much every website, but I fell for one yesterday. The headline was "Star Trek Actress Dies Tragically at Age 52". I'm a fan of all things Star Trek, so I immediately thought "Oh no, which Star Trek cast member died?" I didn't really recognize the woman in the picture, but I thought maybe she played a non-human character and looked different without makeup. Upon reading the article I discover she was a relatively unknown actress who had a supporting role in Star Trek: Insurrection. NOT one of the main cast members. I mean sure, it's tragic that she died an all, but appearing in one movie, presumably among many other roles she played in her career, doesn't mean she can be described as a "Star Trek actress".
Old 12-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Click bait...and its brethren.

How about some annoyances I see in USA Today whenever I open the app:

They have stories that are thinly-veiled advertisements interleaved between the real stories. Sometimes they use a slightly different font or say "from xyz" next to the headline, but it's a spammy article-length ad nonetheless. On Amazon Prime Day I counted about 20 different stories about Prime Day. Surely there wasn't enough news about this event to merit 20 news stories, was there?

Secondly, when I am reading stories, they insert links between the paragraphs that look very much like bold headers for each paragraph--these are links to related stories, but I feel they are conflicting with and taking advantage of our long-learned knowledge that bold headers in documents introduce each topic.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

CNN at least titles "Paid Content".
Old 12-03-2019, 11:31 PM

An increasingly popular slimoid sales tactic involves dubious and outright phony "review" websites.

There are lots of sites presenting themselves as sources of honest reviews to aid consumers. Gee, why are there so many of them for a given class of product or service and how do they make enough money to stay in business?

Subtle clues appear when the same product or service that gets panned on legitimate sites garners wildly enthusiastic evaluations on the faux website, or has a suspiciously high number of 5-star reviews from visitors to the site. Ads for the companies being "reviewed" provide another hint.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-03-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Chinese-language robocalls are, from what I've read, claiming to be from the Chinese embassy or the Chinese government saying that you need to pay money to them or face arrest. As you can guess, they're aimed mostly at Chinese people living in the US. And that tells you just how cheap these calls must be, given that only a tiny fraction of the people in the US are the target and yet they're calling numbers seemingly at random.
These started by calling only the 425 (Seattle area) area codes, and expanded to other tech centers, all of which tend to have a larger-than-average number of Chinese speakers. They're also calling "in order" so far as I can tell, my wife's phone, which differs only in the last digit, will ring just after mine.

I've been learning Chinese for a while, now. One of my interim goals is to actually understand the spiel. Can't quite do it, yet.

Last edited by TimeWinder; 12-03-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Not exactly the same thing, but it just happened this week and it made me SO MAD I need to vent!

Kohl's has an app that advertises the ability to scan barcodes and get a price. I wanted to buy something the other day and I couldn't find a price, so I used the handy-dandy app to scan the barcode, it says $14.99, what a deal!

So I buy a bunch of stuff, look at the receipt later and realize I was charged $24.99 for the item in question. I brought it back the next day and they said "oh, the app is linked to the website, so that's the web price." I already think it's kind of shady when a store's web price doesn't match their in-store price, but regardless... I said, why on earth would I ever have a need to scan a product in store, only to see the web price which isn't valid in store? And nowhere does it say "offer valid only on web" or some such disclaimer?

She got flustered and her response made no sense. I just returned it and made a note to avoid Kohl's in the future
Old 12-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
Not exactly the same thing, but it just happened this week and it made me SO MAD I need to vent!
... I brought it back the next day and they said "oh, the app is linked to the website, so that's the web price."...
Oh yes.

I ranted here some years back about Barnes & Noble doing the same thing. I showed the manager the B&N website showing the price of a book that was, say, $30 on their shelf and $18 on their website.
She looked at me as if I were weird because I couldn't understand why the prices would be different. It's not like I was showing her Amazon's prices, it was B&N's site.

She then told me "The web site and the physical stores are different parts of the business"
...not my problem. You use the same name for both and want to act like one side doesn't even know the other? You want to have your cake and eat it too?

She preached on and on about "you know, it costs much more to have a physical presence"
...again, not my problem. I sympathize, but you are telling me of your costs to do business. And... 50% higher?

I have come to the logical conclusion that there are likely two possible explanations for her behavior: 1) She absolutely believes her cogent explanation of the economics of the situation, and this makes sense since she is seeing everything from the inside, but is wildly out of touch with the guy walking in off the street. 2) She is being forced to spout the party line by Corporate.

I think option 2 is most likely, and I felt bad for her having to explain a 50% price hike to customers who look at their own website.

Last edited by minor7flat5; 12-04-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:53 PM

I had a similar experience with the web price vs. store price. I needed something from PetSmart. I looked online from work and saw that the store I drive past on my commute had them in stock, so I figured I'd just stop and grab one on my way home rather than going through online ordering process. Except at the store I found the same thing -- the price in the store was nearly double the online price. And the thing is, if I had ordered online and selected the option to pick it up at the store, I probably would have gotten literally the same physical item, but for the lower price. What I really should have done is pulled out my phone there in the store and ordered it through the web site, but I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait for the store to receive the order. But in hindsight if I had pointed that out to the manager I likely could have gotten them to match the web price.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 12-04-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Not in the "slimy" category, but topical to online versus store prices: CostCo often has HIGHER prices on their Web site than in the store; I'm guessing so they can cover "free shipping" for Web orders.

My opinion of Best Buy has been a roller coaster over the years, but until a few days ago was high: I get good, even professional, assistance when I visit the store and often find they have the cheapest price for whatever gadget I'm seeking. But a couple of days ago I ordered a Roku Ultimate ($40 off!) via their Web site for delivery, and they automatically added $9 in batteries to my cart. There was no message "hey, would you like batteries?"; they simply got added to the cart, without any sort of message, and appeared on the final "Place Order" screen. I only realized it because the total was about $10 too high. VERY SLIMY, and now Best Buy is back on my shit list for such shenanigans.

Starting back around post 17 people complained about Sirius XM. I had bought from a dealer a used Corvette, and got the usual 3 month trial, and signed up for a year at a good price ($60/year, I think). At renewal time, I called to cancel, and the US-based salesman refused to cancel it! He insisted on "suspending" it for a few months, at which time it would automatically restart. I then politely but firmly demanded to talk to his supervisor, and he again refused! I had never experienced such insolence from any non-criminal enterprise in my life.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I had a similar experience with the web price vs. store price. I needed something from PetSmart. I looked online from work and saw that the store I drive past on my commute had them in stock, so I figured I'd just stop and grab one on my way home rather than going through online ordering process. Except at the store I found the same thing -- the price in the store was nearly double the online price. And the thing is, if I had ordered online and selected the option to pick it up at the store, I probably would have gotten literally the same physical item, but for the lower price.
This is actually a great point, because most apps (including the Kohls app) allow you to buy online and pick up in store, so there is literally no difference except their dogged insistence to stick to the higher price.

So her argument to return the item at customer service, then buy it again online is pretty much just a waste of everyone's time.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
In my opinion, you should have brought it up. Even if you simply told them and didn't wait around for counting of the drawer (the usual next step).

This is necessary in order to establish a pattern--without people calling her on it, if she is a thief she is being enabled. Besides, they probably have video these days and the manager can look and see what is going on.
If the girl is a thief, she should lose her job. If not, she should have her chance to explain her error.
Drawer counting wouldn't help in this case. She doubtless went inside and got the correct change, so the register would be correct. That 5 bucks went directly into her pocket, not the register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmanii
...We had someone come to our door recently wearing one of those vests and resembling a utility worker. Turns out he was going around advertising his tree trimming/removal service (Mrs. J. was hanging over my shoulder sighing loudly during his spiel, impatient for me to cut him off).
Um, why on EARTH did you let this person get more than a single sentence out? Really, the ONLY response to anyone selling ANYTHING door to door (aside from Girl Scouts bearing cookies) is to cut them off mid-sentence, say "no thank you" and shut the door. I feel absolutely no need to waste my time (or theirs).

We regularly get people coming around who are "doing some roofing work for your neighbors" (or windows, or whatever). My default assumption is that they are lying. If I want roofing / windows / whatever, I will ASK the neighborhood for recommendations.

Something else we frequently see round here: young kids - 12 or so perhaps - who are going around selling candy or magazines. They are quite literally driven into the neighborhoods by handlers. I have no idea if they even have a way to call to get picked up. In this scenario, the kids are also victims.

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 12-05-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Upgrade coupon in newspaper.

For a theatrical performance, there was an upgrade coupon in the newspaper and advertised on TV.

For illustrative purposes, there were two sections, A and B. The view was identical from sections A and B. The regular prices were $25 for all of section A and the first 20 rows of section B. The $20 seats were rows 21-40 of section B. Anyone paid the $25 was seated in the first 20 rows of either A or B. Anyone who showed up with an upgrade coupon was seated in the last 20 rows of section A. They received the same view as someone who paid the $20 without the coupon and sat in the last 20 rows of section B.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Drawer counting wouldn't help in this case. She doubtless went inside and got the correct change, so the register would be correct. That 5 bucks went directly into her pocket, not the register.
On second reading of the scenario, I agree.

But it still needs to be reported so that the manager can become aware of a pattern over time and/or scrutinize this particular individual more closely.