Old 12-02-2019, 09:30 PM

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, guess what page it is?

Last edited by Spiderman; 12-02-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

FCM - You're an engineer - surely you can figure out some way to rig his drawer with these can o' snake things!

Or how about a realistic-looking snake coiled tucked in a corner or under the desk.

StG
Old 12-02-2019, 11:08 PM

Mom, get some wiggly eyes and stick them in odd places. It may take weeks to find them all. He'll think he's being watched.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Whatever I do has to be hidden till I'm gone, so I'm pretty much limited to the drawers and maybe the knee hole, so foil and post-its won't do it. I could put stuff on the cork board under all my notes so when he removes my stuff, he'll find a message...

I also have a limited time in the morning to do these things - he arrives within 30 minutes of me.

I'd love to have something inflate and pop out of a drawer when he opens it, but that's getting into waaaay to pricey territory. And he won't use my chair, so there's no sense in messing with that, either.

I don't want to be mean - I just want to mess with him a bit. He really is a good kid.
I'd suggest an Annoy-a-tron but those appear to be impossible to find anymore. My theory is that enough victims got together to buy airline tickets to wherever the things were manufactured, and flew there and blew up the factory .
Old 12-03-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I'm wondering if I should start looking for alternative employment now, or wait to see how things pan out. I think I'd rather work the floor at Costco or Trader Joe's, or find a data job in town (only 25 miles away). I'm getting tired.
The sooner you start looking, the sooner you can find.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 AM

Well, once again I'm awake at 3:am. This is really screwing with me this time. Just sent all my company packing Sunday. We had a good visit. But I'm worn out. Can't sleep. I tried resting for awhile in the aftermoon but my head was spinning. I've got lots to do and can't get motivation to actually do it.
Ah, well. Such is my life.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 32 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 55 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. Today I shall accomplish laundry and go out in public to deal with some necessary errands. ICK! Sup shall be pepper steak 'n rice cause I have a gnawin' and a cravin' for pepper steak.

Flyboy I'll put my .02 worth in and say start lookin' for another gig. Could be the best thing all around. At the least you can see what options are out there.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, alas, alack, bother of bothers, I must purtify and don appropriate bein' about the public attire. Figure I'll get that out of the way this mornin'. Woe!

Happy Tuesday Y'all!
Old 12-03-2019, 06:08 AM

yeah johnny id say find something else and walk away .. when the jackass will learn why yes you were neede after something screws up ...
Old 12-03-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Well, once again I'm awake at 3:am. This is really screwing with me this time. Just sent all my company packing Sunday. We had a good visit. But I'm worn out. Can't sleep. I tried resting for awhile in the aftermoon but my head was spinning. I've got lots to do and can't get motivation to actually do it.
Ah, well. Such is my life.
Yes, me too. I woke up at quarter to 4 from a dream that I was being fired. Since I have been retired for over 10 years, that shouldn't seem so real! I could MAYBE have gone back to sleep if the two cat-overlords hadn't been so insistent that they were starving. Hope you and I can both get a nap this afternoon, Beck.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
Stop with the 10 emails an hour telling me “last Chance” to buy stuff. The worst is Microsoft. I get multiple messages a day from them. STOP IT!
Oh, it gets better today, with emails from every charity you've ever interacted with. As someone who does lots of races, because I like the race, not because it's for my favorite charity, I get deluged today.

Yestidy around lunch time I was expecting to wake up to 2-4" of white, by last night that had been downgraded to ½". This morning the actuality of it is the only white out there is the curb.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:10 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Sunny - Roxy does sign for "eat" which is helpful. If she wants a bottle (only before nap or bedtime) she gets an empty out of the cabinet. Same if she wants water - she brings out a sippy cup. I'll be taking a sign language class in March, and you can bet she'll be learning along with me!

Sleeplessness must be epidemic! Three whole hours of sleep last night, and I'm dragging something awful this morning. Soooooo tahred, and tonight, daughter and SIL have class, so I'll have Roxy up till bedtime. Only 5 more times to wake at 5. Well, except for when we head to FL.

Happy Tuesday!!
Old 12-03-2019, 07:11 AM

Happy Toosday!

Up too early again today.
It's a cold 37, feels like 28, degrees outside.
The dogs are hyper since I put my boots on, but I'm taking my time getting out this morning.

I had to proofread an assignment this morning. Very rushed because he thought it was due this morning, but he has until Thorsday. We can proofread it again and again a few more times. He has a low A in the class and he has to get an A on this, the last assignment, to keep the A.
He had strong A's in all his other classes, although the group assignment is falling apart, and that is a worry.
He also hasn't been checking his emails and found out he should have registered for his spring classes 2 weeks ago. He'll have to take what he can because he IS graduating in the spring. I've done enough proofreading to last me a lifetime, and the classes he is taking now are boring as hell.
And if he has to go another semester HE can fill out the damn FAFSA.

Which reminds me, I need to pick my health insurance plan for next year.

I can already see it is going to be a grumpy day.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 12-03-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 AM

you FCM know i have the perfect solution for your stunt problem .... gumballs ...... you can buy a box of thousands for about 10 bucks

Walmart used to/might still sell them because they sold toy gumball machines ..... you might have to look in the toy aisle tho
Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 AM

May I have 10,000 marbles please?
Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 AM

Blurfage Was up before 6am which is real early for me. I got to irk early but spent more time on the commute as there is a K-8 school here on base and at 0730 is when all the parents are dropping off kids.

Tahred already. I didn't have enough sleep either.

I have a bunch of EOM/FOM stuff to finish and A/P. I hope to be out of here a little early today.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 AM

Home from the park, wasn't as cold as I thought it would be.
Neither one of the brats wanted to come home. Ripple behaves though, today is the second day in a row Echo wouldn't come through the gate.
She'd better not make me into one of those people who have to chase their dogs or ask somebody else to catch them so they can leave.

I have to go through town to get to the park. Getting there isn't so bad if I time it to miss the school busses. However, coming home the city is getting busy and there are a lot of people out and about. There is parallel parking on both sides of the street, and you can be sure some dumb ass will walk out into traffic to get into their car. It's never the skinny people, they are too smart for that. No, it's always the people with the big fat asses, and then they try to flatten themselves up against the side of their car. It never works.

Too much to do today.
Of the kind of stuff that makes my brain hurt.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM

It's Tooosday, December 3. Happy Birthday to me.

The house is practically turned upside down, and somehow we've got to push part of its contents into the car (including cat) and head to SCal today.

My neck decided to crochet itself into knots, and the trip wil be a Helluva rough ride!

We'll have kids and grandkids and the lead up to Christmas. That makes it worth the battle with my poor neck. The new bottle of pain pills I almost didn't get will help plenty.

Here's to dry roads, and cooperative traffic!

~VOW
Old 12-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

This is totally pointless. I was at the Ace Hardware yesterday buying some replacement Christmas lights. The cost came to some dollars and 99 cents. The cashier gave me the penny and I headed for the door. As a former coin collector, I have a habit of checking my pocket change, and I noted that this appeared to be an older coin. Thinking it was probably another 70s vintage, which are common, I stopped and gave it a closer look.

It's a 1944 wheat penny! And in good condition! Worth about a penny! It just made me smile to see a 75 year old coin still in circulation. Now if it had only been a 1944 steel penny. . .
Old 12-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Morning all. Did the December shopping yesterday, only needed two stops to finish up the list and spent the balance of the day on TV and internettin'.

flyboy, I'll join the chorus and start looking around for a job you'll enjoy more; it's pretty obvious from your post that even if the boss recognizes your importance, you're not really going to be happy there. Don't quit out of pique, but start looking for a way out.

Becks, we make sense out of Spidey, flytrap and ruble after they have had a few...libations...so following your post was easy.

And considering all the 'help' you folks have been giving FCM, no one is ever getting my address...

Have finished two bowls of Cocoa Krispies and need to do some more banking and maybe look at mattresses for the Great Spring makeover. Might also stop at the flooring place and see what they've got.

Heading to the mid-40's today and lots of sunshine. My kind of winter
Old 12-03-2019, 11:18 AM

To further torture myself, I decided to go back to playing NotPron http://notpron.org/notpron/
Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

What a morning this has been!! Brent gave me what should be a fairly simple installation drawing, but the parts in the model don't align correctly. Most likely it's due to the way the parts were modeled, since they weren't designed here. So he and I discussed it and I'll give him a "best guess" drawing that he'll redline when they do the installation. Someone else will fix the drawings some day. Not my problem.

I managed to fix most of Josh's drawings that had come back for tweaks, and my timecard finally got straightened out. Plus I'm still awake, so there's that.

Did I mention that I saved us some $$$ the other day? FCD wanted me to take his parents' laptop to our computer guys because he thought the place where the charger plugged in had broken. I asked if he'd checked the charger, and he hadn't. Daughter happened to have the right charger, and it worked! So the issue was the charger, which has been ordered, and we didn't have to pay a troubleshooting fee for nothing. This is the same laptop that they took to the Geek Squad and were told it'd be many $$$ to fix it, if it could even be fixed.

Moral of the story - don't trust the Geek Squad.

And now, lunch.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Just wondering what's harder to fix. Drawings not drawn here, or timecards.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:10 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Our timecard software is, um, occasionally challenging and the rules here are a bit bizarre. But I'll just be making 6 more entries, so I'm almost beyond caring.

Drawings, on the other hand, can be a major league pain in the patootie. There's a standard but many places choose to do things their own way, and sometimes there's a complete lack of logic. And when models are created in one program and converted to another via .STEP or .IGES, you can get some interesting results.

Bottom line - software can be screwy.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:31 PM

*****HAPPY BIRTHDAY ~VOW******

I don't know how to do the fancy big colored font. But, still have a good day and a good trip to SoCal, my friend!!!!!
Old 12-03-2019, 02:07 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VOW! Hope the world treats you like the gem you are.

My DD and my sister share your day of birth. December 3rd is indeed a wondrous day!
Old 12-03-2019, 02:49 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Happy VOW Day!!

To do the big, colorful text, after you enter your message, select the "Go Advanced" box and you'll have all the options one might find in WORD - I think it's pretty straightforward.

I'll pick that box for most of my posts so I can check for typos and such. I don't always catch them, but mostly I do. It's a handy feature.

10 minutes and I'm outta here!!!! FINALLY!!!
Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
flyboy, I'll join the chorus and start looking around for a job you'll enjoy more; it's pretty obvious from your post that even if the boss recognizes your importance, you're not really going to be happy there. Don't quit out of pique, but start looking for a way out.
I'm in the office today. I told the boss that I think the president is going to get rid of me when she's gone. She told me not to think that way. 'You just need to know how to talk to him. Besides, who else is going to do [the work]?' As I said, a lot of data goes through the Easytrieve programs I wrote. I'm the only one in the office who knows how to run them.

In other office news, our receptionist is retiring at the end of January (I think). Our Customer Service person will become the receptionist (medical reasons), and then she's retiring next year.

But yeah... I'll keep my ears open for things closer to home.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:36 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Not to worry. I'm fluent in typo!

I hosted in a busy AOL chat room for several years.

~VOW
Which one?

Other than that I mined the boxes and came home. Nothing of note but I'm a good kind of tired.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Afternoon all. Looking at getting a carpet guy here in January to give me an estimate, thinking about tiling the dining room (at least that is what it was designed as, it's been my library forever), we'll see what the damage is. Mattress shopping is going to be a pain, you can find them for $600 or $3,000, and the sales-folks all work overtime to explain why you should by the $3000 one.... Also paying some bills and did some banking.

Probably not much else for today, cereal doesn't last me long so nuked a couple of frozen White Castles and drank some Cherry Kool-Aid to hald me until dinner. Catching up on some webcomics in the meantime.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Happy Birthday Vow!

Got my new chairs, legs put on, but they are still sitting in the middle of the living room. I'm not sure I like them for the living room.

Got my son registered (I think) for all of his classes.
His advisor is going to call him tomorrow. I think he is going to have to take two winter classes and then two in the spring. He can't find four qualifying classes for the spring, or he probably could if he didn't insist on taking online classes. I don't know how it will affect the grant money.
He only needs 7 credits to graduate, except he needs 10 credits of 300 level or above classes, so he has to take 4 classes.
I'm probably going to have to talk to the billing department at some point, joy and happiness there.

His assignment is still not decided. I think he is going to email the professor to see what to do. There is no way to get it done by Friday.

I'll see about a health care plan tonight, or maybe tomorrow.
Wednesday is an easier day to get things done, no dogs getting in the way.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 12-03-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:58 PM

Ha! Took a little ride to get gas and go in the Dollar store in the scary little village nearest to me. No weirdos at the gas station. The Dollar store is manned by weirdos. There's always a crazy or 2 walking the store. I spent the whole time trying to avoid them. I went in for those long lighters for the wood stove and fireplace. Never got close to them. Bought a pkg.of cheap cigarette lighters at the check-out. Only one works of the 4. Shoulda got Bic lighters, I guess.
I made 'the bestest ever kitty treats' this morning. Yuk. I walked in the house after my outing and smelled liver. The cats are basking in their own nirvana because of the odor. That's a plus, I guess. I lit a candle with the only cheap lighter that works. And.....it broke. Dang it!
Old 12-03-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Which one?

Other than that I mined the boxes and came home. Nothing of note but I'm a good kind of tired.

Instant Cafe. The area of AOL was for (wannabe) writers, and was called "The Amazing Instant Novelist," after Dan Hurley.

My host name was NOVLVow. Duh!

~VOW
Old 12-03-2019, 06:12 PM

The steak I bought yesterday for dinner tonight? Never made it into the fridge so it just made it directly into the trash can. Now to forage for something else.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:19 PM

Sorry about your dinner Spidey.

I ordered groceries today. An entire bag was missing from the order. They will bring it over tonight.

Other than that, I have spent the entire day recovering from yesterday. We were in mediation over my daughter's schooling situation. It was a long day, and we did not reach an agreement. By the Law of Conservation of Spoons, this means that I will spend a few days recovering. Boo.

Not sure about dinner tonight, if the groceries don't get delivered in time.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:28 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Instant Cafe. The area of AOL was for (wannabe) writers, and was called "The Amazing Instant Novelist," after Dan Hurley.

My host name was NOVLVow. Duh!

~VOW
I was simply Host 7 (to be frank I forget my number) over at the Civil War Chat Room -------- which was often nuts but totally so during the trivia contests. At least two people from there went on to become guides at G'burg. At off-the-clock times and other places I was just ArussFROG.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:15 PM

Happy birthday VOW!

Mooooom, do ya think that maybe the engineers are pranking you with the troublesome drawings?

Returned to irk today. The sales order guy was out until 10 for a lost temporary crown, I had the E0M/FoM reports to get out and almost everyone else in the department was at the third party logistics warehouse a few miles down the road (really a good thing, as one of them has a bad habit of pestering distracting everyone trying to tune her out with headphones.

I got one of da Jungle shipments (of three) on the doorstep this afternoon and should get #2 and a Chewy order tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:28 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
Mooooom, do ya think that maybe the engineers are pranking you with the troublesome drawings?
When thieves fall out, or Karma backlash?
Old 12-03-2019, 07:38 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
No - there are too many projects with tight deadlines - nobody has time to mess with anyone like that.

Josh made a comment today about them taking me out and getting me trashed. I informed him that alcohol makes me fall asleep, so getting trashed really isn't a possibility. hehehehe

Roxy was pooped - she went down just before 7:30. In fact, after her pre-bed bottle, she ran down the hall to her room and made to climb into her crib. I plopped her in there, threw an afghan over her, turned on the fan for white noise, and that was that.

Meanwhile, the dishwasher is washing and I'm ready to crash. I's tahred!!!!
Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 PM

Have read the thread, but mostly lost the narrative, except to wish Vow a happy birthday, and good luck to red and SonOfRed. No more FAFSA is a thing I dream of! Oh, and agree with the general consensus, flyboy: time to start looking. You don't sound happy with the current job sitch.

My week has been dull so far, mostly because last week was absolutely fraught. I woke up with a sore throat last Wednesday, and hoped it was because someone had sprayed cotton defoliant nearby. Nope. Cold from hell. (Accompanied by one of Ma Nature's other regular gifts, which I could do without, tyvm.)

Naturally. My stepbro and his wife were visiting from out of state Wednesday through Friday. Thanksgiving at Ma's Thursday. Had tickets for the college football game for dad, daughter, and me Saturday*. Thanksgiving Part Deux at my aunt's Sunday. Nothing I could put off for another day. My nose is raw from blowing, my hands are raw from washing obsessively, and I'm still worried that I might have transmitted the plague to someone, and I'm stoned on cold medicine.

Yesterday, I got the Littles to the school bus, and went back to bed. Except for basic necessities, like feeding people and critters, that's where I stayed until this afternoon. I'd have remained prone, except that I HAD to buy a few groceries and wash some clothes. The Mister is having a spinal injection tomorrow, and I try not to leave him alone afterwards until he can resume his diabetes prescriptions.

*Hometown U won the game in fine fashion. It was my daughter's first college football game, and likely my dad's last, due to his deteriorating eyesight, and yeah, it was special.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! I did the things I was supposed to do today. Laundry, do errands, make sup, so Go Me! What? I adulted like a real adult today, so I'm proud.

And now this....

<AHEM> CLEARIN' THROAT <AHEM>

HAAAPPPYYY BIIIRRRTTTHHHDDDAAAYYY TOOOOOO YOUUUUUU!!!!!!
HAAAPPPYYY BIIIRRRTTTHHHDDDAAAYYY DEEEAAARRR VVVOOOWWW!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Swampy, you are most enthusiastic person I've ever known.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
No - there are too many projects with tight deadlines - nobody has time to mess with anyone like that.
That's what they want you to believe.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 PM

I spent too much time today trying to figure out if I should change insurance companies. Still haven't decided. At about 3 PM, I realized I hadn't eaten yet, and then I remembered I'm supposed to have fasting blood work done this week, so I walked the 1.5 miles to the lab and got it done. Whew! Lightheaded, but a grocery store was nearby, so I got a one ounce pkg. of cheese and ate that. Much better!

Talked to my Birthday Girl daughter on the phone. She's very happy she was born. My sister is playing bridge tonight, so I'll call THAT birthday girl tomorrow. VOW, hope you got cake!
Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacunae Matata View Post
Have read the thread, but mostly lost the narrative, except to wish Vow a happy birthday, and good luck to red and SonOfRed. No more FAFSA is a thing I dream of!
Fortunately, I don't have to deal with FAFSA anymore (but sari does ).
Old 12-03-2019, 09:29 PM

Lacunae Daughter the Third has decided to be a teenager, at age 9.

"But I don't WANT to wear a hat! I'm fine! It will mess up my hair! It's not cold! And no one wears an undershirt!"

"No baby, it's not cold while you are standing here in the living room. But it's cold outside the front door. At the bus stop. I'm trying to dress you in layers to account for the freezing temps at the bus stop, plus the pleasant afternoon temperature in the forecast. And people will give me the stinkeye if you get to school with frostbite."

Camisole, long sleeve shirt, hoodie. And can we wait a couple more years for teenage insistence of style versus function?

Fourth grade...

Last edited by Lacunae Matata; 12-03-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Fortunately, I don't have to deal with FAFSA anymore (but sari does ).
Lacunae 0, Sudafed 1.

I'm losing all of the battles today!
Old 12-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VOW!!!!!!!

Chefguy, I do have a steel penny.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 PM

*Checks clock--still 2Day* Happy Birthday Vow

Well, didn't do much this evening except for the Mac-N-Cheese for dinner. Picked up some color strips at Sherwin Williams for seeing if any look good enough to live with for another 20 years. Have already made a list of things to get done tomorrow, including all my Xmas Shopping. we shall see.

Feel better soon, Peaches

All y'all take care.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:38 AM

Thank you all so much! Even Swampy singing, I feel so blessed!

No cake, but we had an uneventful, no weather problems, dry pavement the whole way, drive from NE AZ to SCal. And after we got here, my granddaughters sang to me, and I got kisses from them.

Kisses are better than cake, any day!

~VOW
Old 12-04-2019, 06:47 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I didn't sleep with Mel last night, but I took a shot of Amaretto before heading to bed, and it helped me zonk out. Roxy was particularly noisy around 2 of the AM, but apart from that, I got some decent sleep, so yay!

Not sure what was up this morning, but I passed 2 sheriff's cars (2 different places) with cars pulled over, plus was passed by 2 ambulances (2 different places going in opposite directions.) Is something afoot in St. Mary's county???

I thought this morning in addition to whatever I do to screw with Baby Engineer upon my departure, I think I'll leave a small gift for him - for reals, not a joke. Not sure what it'll be, but I hope I can figure something out soon.

Meanwhile, there's crap on my desk that needs attention. Happy Wednesday!!