Old 11-19-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Bolding mine, for the breathtaking hypocrisy.
Jeez. I thought we were DONE with that son of a bitch asshole.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:04 PM

Really kind of minor compared to being beaten or shot.

Cops put GPS tracker on man’s car, charge him with theft for removing it

Quote:
The case began in July 2018, when the Warrick County Sheriff's Office got a warrant to attach a GPS tracking device to Derek Heuring's car. Information from a confidential informant had led them to believe that Heuring was using the vehicle to sell meth.

The GPS device transmitted data for a little more than a week. Then it stopped. Officers suspected Heuring had discovered and removed it.

After waiting another 10 days to see if it would start working again, detectives applied for a warrant to search Heuring's home and a nearby property belonging to Heuring's parents. US law requires law enforcement to show probable cause that a crime had been committed before engaging in a search. In this case, police said they suspected that Heuring had committed the crime of theft by taking the GPS device.

Police did find the tracking device. They also found methamphatamine [sic] and drug paraphernalia—evidence that police say show that Heuring had been dealing drugs.

So Heuring was charged both with drug dealing and with theft of the GPS device.
So, IMHO, it looks like a meth dealer is going to walk because the sheriff's dept was okay with trying to make their own rules.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:31 AM

It seems to me that the police GAVE him the tracker. They placed it on his car. If someone places something in or on my car expecting me to drive away with it, that is a gift. The charge of theft is ludicrous. The search should definitely be ruled as illegal.

Last edited by Orwell; 11-20-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:17 PM

I hope that the Indiana Supreme Court tells the cops to take a hike regarding the theft charge for the GPS device. It certainly sounded like the judges were leaning that way in the oral arguments.

In other news, Philadelphia Eagles player Malcolm Jenkins wrote a carefully considered op-ed about policing in the city, and about some of the reforms that his organization, the Players Coalition Task Force, believes are necessary.

Here's the response from the Philly police union:
Quote:
Every time I think that the Inquirer cannot sink any lower in integrity and
professionalism, they prove me wrong. They go lower still.

Sponsoring a racist attack by a non-resident washed up football player and trying
to disguise it as a commentary on police in Philadelphia shows why the only people who
still subscribe to your paper are those who use it to paper train their puppies.

Hurling slurs and false allegations against police offers nothing in the way of
improvement. Like other has been football players, they now do most of their running
with their mouths.

This character's "proposals" would leave Philadelphia's many crime victims as
defenseless as his poor play has left his football team.

Only the Inquirer would offer Malcolm Jenkins to tackle crime, when he can't even
manage to tackle his own opponents.

What is the Inquirer's next plan, a survey of drug dealers?
Stay classy, Philly Fraternal Order of Police!
Old 11-20-2019, 09:28 PM

And that is why "It's only a few bad apples" is a moronic response to police brutality.

What's wrong with "We want all citizens to be safe. We will work to ensure that all citizens are"?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
And that is why "It's only a few bad apples" is a moronic response to police brutality.
It's a lie they are comfortable telling, tho.
Quote:
What's wrong with "We want all citizens to be safe. We will work to ensure that all citizens are"?
There are fewer of them that are comfortable telling that lie, perhaps.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:40 PM

It just seems like the police are the only organization that, when the people they are serving complain about their methods, just say "Fuck you guys, we'll do what we want".

Last edited by manson1972; 11-20-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
I hope that the Indiana Supreme Court tells the cops to take a hike regarding the theft charge for the GPS device. It certainly sounded like the judges were leaning that way in the oral arguments.

In other news, Philadelphia Eagles player Malcolm Jenkins wrote a carefully considered op-ed about policing in the city, and about some of the reforms that his organization, the Players Coalition Task Force, believes are necessary.

Here's the response from the Philly police union:Stay classy, Philly Fraternal Order of Police!
Great example of ad hominem, though.

-God
Old 11-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Off duty cop drives 94 mph (almost twice the speed limit); causes crash which kills baby. What do you think happens? Manslaughter charge? Cop fired? Or just a speeding ticket?

SPOILER:
Old 11-23-2019, 01:47 PM

^^ The DA makes it sound like the two offenses were equal, and pointedly highlights the speeding offense. The off-duty cop's main offense was causing an accident while speeding, not simple speeding. Yes, the infant should have been restrained, but the cause of the death was the crash caused by the cop.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
And as usual, as the sysiphean semantic bitch that I am, I will pointedly remind anyone who cares to listen that the full saying goes "A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch". So "it's just a few bad apples" is a moronic defense on multiple levels - not only does it seek to dismiss and minimize factual problems ; but it tries to do so by misusing a proverb that explicitly underlines that those very problems undercut any and all good the organization in general might very well be doing... aside from making sure the rotten apples' jobs are protected, of course.
It's not ever a good look, using that phrase.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I will pull myself up by my bootstraps and make sure I don't use the 'bad apple ' analogy wrong.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
And as usual, as the sysiphean semantic bitch that I am, I will pointedly remind anyone who cares to listen that the full saying goes "A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch".
I always heard it as "...spoil the whole barrel."

But I completely agree with your point. If you keep the "few" bad apples, pretty soon you'll have ALL bad apples.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:21 PM

Former Georgia Officer Is Sentenced to 20 Years in Killing of Unarmed Black Man
Quote:
The officer shot a man who was wandering naked outside an apartment complex in suburban Atlanta.
White Alabama Officer Guilty of Manslaughter for Killing Black Man
Quote:
An Alabama jury found a white police officer guilty of manslaughter on Friday in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man in Montgomery in 2016, the latest case in which an officer has been held to account for using lethal force.
Hopefully these and others being held accountable will make more officers a little lot less trigger happy.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I will pull myself up by my bootstraps and make sure I don't use the 'bad apple ' analogy wrong.
Well, you know what they say - too many bad apples spoil the broth.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Well, you know what they say - too many bad apples spoil the broth.
Too bad they don't seem to be willing to DEAL WITH all the "bad apples" (of which there seem to be SO many).

Me, I don't buy the "bad apples" excuse. It's bullshit.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
And as usual, as the sysiphean semantic bitch that I am, I will pointedly remind anyone who cares to listen that the full saying goes "A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch".

one bad apple spoils the whole bunch

True for apples and cops:
Quote:
The riper a piece of fruit is, the more ethylene it produces, and overripe fruit gives off even more ethylene, eventually leading to a concentration of the gas that’s enough to overripen all the fruit. Given the right conditions and enough time, one apple can push all the fruit around it to ripen—and eventually rot.

Additionally, an apple that is infested with mold will contaminate other fruit it's stored with as the mold seeks additional food sources and spreads. In both cases, it actually does take just one single apple to start a domino chain that ruins the rest of the bunch.

-God
Old 11-26-2019, 02:55 PM

Bittersweet

Quote:
Judge exonerates three men in 1983 ‘Georgetown jacket’ school killing
Quote:
Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said Monday the detective and prosecutor in 1983 coached and coerced the testimony of the four students. Her prosecutors appeared Monday afternoon in Baltimore Circuit Court to ask a judge to throw out the three convictions.
Quote:
Lipscomb said police withheld exculpatory evidence, particularly interviews from other students who identified the killer as another man, who died in 2002, prosecutors said.
Quote:
The three men became the latest prisoners exonerated and set free by a partnership between Mosby’s conviction integrity unit and two nonprofit innocence projects.
Conviction Integrity Unit. That sounds like a good thing.

-God
Old 11-26-2019, 05:54 PM

Check out this story from Detroit Free Press: Sergeant suspended in cop killing case was once fired for being a coward

The Detroit police sergeant suspended with pay on accusations of not showing up at the scene of a shooting that killed a police officer has a troubled past.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ce/4308445002/
Old 11-26-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
one bad apple spoils the whole bunch

True for apples and cops:
Would this work for apple trees that are grown outside? I'd think that the wind would quickly disperse any ethylene.

Put apples in a barrel, though, and skin contact will quickly spread any rot. My grandfather (born 1880), an Vermont farmer who grew apples and had strong opinions about everything, had special contempt for a neighboring family who would try to salvage bad barrels of apples, the ones he would just dump into the manure pile. He thought that they never ate a good apple out of season. And good apples (put up in a pie, with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese on the side) were pretty near the best thing he knew.

As far as these bad cop excuses, though, they even more contemptible.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Jesus. What the hell kind of life is the poor guy expected to have left, having spent 30 years in prison from age 16 ? The cops & prosecutors responsible for the witness manipulation should spend the rest of their own days behind bars. This is some shameful shit.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Shopping while Black is suspicious

Quote:
The responding officer spoke with the two men who questioned why Jones ran their plates without just cause. The officer told the pair: "Not necessarily. We can run plates for any reason or no reason at all. What he does have to have is he has to have what's called reasonable suspicion in order to make a stop. He has to have some sort of reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed."
I don't know about Indiana, but here in Louisiana the bolded is true. In fact, many police cars locally have readers that passively run plates all day long as they drive around and conduct their daily business. Brings in A LOT of expired-registration tickets, inspection-tag tickets, etc.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Jesus. What the hell kind of life is the poor guy expected to have left, having spent 30 years in prison from age 16 ? The cops & prosecutors responsible for the witness manipulation should spend the rest of their own days behind bars. This is some shameful shit.
Absolutely. Fuckers.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:44 PM

From the other direction, the cops on duty on Thanksgiving were horribly assaulted by a Starbuck's Barrista who was quickly fired by the company.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...label-n1094096

Oh wait, turns out the Starbuck's POS system won't let you type "PIG" as a customer name, so the person ordering had to use it as their name, and according to his own daughter the cop in question is a sexist, racist bastard who fully deserves to be called a pig anyway.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/02/daught...olutely-a-pig/

I think it's notable that someone who allegedly writes 'PIG' on a cup for a police officer gets fired rather than given a paid vacation, while police won't fire or arrest one of their own buddies for outright murder and do their best to make sure he gets a vacation.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
the person ordering had to use it as their name, and according to his own daughter the cop in question is a sexist, racist bastard who fully deserves to be called a pig anyway.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/02/daught...olutely-a-pig/
I think that's the daughter of the Chief of Police.

Quote:
“The deputy it actually happened to told my mom he didn’t really care and that it was a harmless joke, no big deal,” she said. “[B]ut my father is a camera whore who couldn’t resist the attention.”
Curious why she called the officer a deputy, though.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:04 AM

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml...-investigation

I guess spitting is enough to body slam a guy and have their head hit the pavement.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Michigan State Police trooper sentenced for assault on female colleague
Quote:
Mullin was found guilty of four assault-related charges in October before Huron County Circuit Court Judge Gerald M. Prill. He will spend one year in Huron County Jail and three years of probation.
A year and then 3 years probation. Fer fuck's sake.

At least he might lose his job!
Quote:
Following his conviction, MSP moved to permanently revoke his law enforcement certification and terminate his employment.

-God
Old 12-04-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml...-investigation

I guess spitting is enough to body slam a guy and have their head hit the pavement.
He (allegedly) spat in the officer's eyes and mouth. That's battery, and if true, that absolutely justifies the body slam. Police officers are entitled to defend themselves.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Respect mah authority! Or lose police protection altogether. https://www.google.com/amp/www.msnbc...protection/amp
AG Barr thinks that rather than fixing what needs fixing, we should appreciate the police we have, or they all pick up their marbles and go home.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
they might find themselves without the police protection they need.”
They already find themselves without the police protection they need.

-God
Old 12-04-2019, 03:44 PM

On the positive side, at least she never knew what happened to her...
Old 12-04-2019, 03:51 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Oh wait, turns out the Starbuck's POS system won't let you type "PIG" as a customer name, so the person ordering had to use it as their name, and according to his own daughter the cop in question is a sexist, racist bastard who fully deserves to be called a pig anyway.
I'm confused by this part. If the POS system won't let you type "PIG" as a customer name, how did it end up on a cup? How does the customer giving it as their name change that?
Old 12-04-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I'm confused by this part. If the POS system won't let you type "PIG" as a customer name, how did it end up on a cup? How does the customer giving it as their name change that?
The customer is allowed to put that in through mobile orders. The employee didn't enter it at all.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
The customer is allowed to put that in through mobile orders. The employee didn't enter it at all.
Snopes says it couldn't have been a mobile order because the receipt shows it was in-store: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/starbucks-police-pig/
Old 12-04-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksummon View Post
Snopes says it couldn't have been a mobile order because the receipt shows it was in-store: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/starbucks-police-pig/
Something doesn't add up.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
He (allegedly) spat in the officer's eyes and mouth. That's battery, and if true, that absolutely justifies the body slam. Police officers are entitled to defend themselves.
Not an equivalent amount of force. Spitting does not deserve slamming a guy's head on the ground .
Old 12-05-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Not an equivalent amount of force. Spitting does not deserve slamming a guy's head on the ground .
You lose me there. Saliva can be infectious. Spit on me and I'll attempt to break your spitter.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:21 AM

Whoa. Protect & Serve; which was this?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:27 AM

https://twitter.com/jlegewie/status/1202331879615193088

"...in utero exposure to police killings of unarmed Blacks within 1-3 km of mother's residence substantially reduces the birth weight of Black infants by 50-80g"

and

"...no effect for police killings of armed Black or white and Hispanic victims on infant health suggesting that stress and anxiety related to perceived injustice and discrimination might explain this finding"

This data supports a hypothesis I've suggested for a long time -- broad societal injustice against black people, even if it's just in the "background", decreases the chances for black people to thrive. In other words, being black in America is harmful to one's health.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
You lose me there. Saliva can be infectious. Spit on me and I'll attempt to break your spitter.
The guy can be restrained without attempting to kill him.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
The guy can be restrained without attempting to kill him.
Fine. Put a dry-cleaner bag over his head and duct tape around his neck. Sorry, I draw the line at bodily discharges.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Check out this story from Detroit Free Press: Sergeant suspended in cop killing case was once fired for being a coward

The Detroit police sergeant suspended with pay on accusations of not showing up at the scene of a shooting that killed a police officer has a troubled past.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ce/4308445002/
Fired, and then got his job back

"The sergeant who was suspended for not rushing to the scene of last week's fatal shooting of Detroit police officer Rasheen McClain was fired five years ago for behaving cowardly: He stood by and watched a female officer get assaulted, police said.

But he still got his job back, and, was promoted to sergeant — a fact that Police Chief James Craig said he struggles with."
It isn't "just a few bad apples, it's the whole damn "system".
Old 12-05-2019, 05:40 PM

West Virginia police academy graduating class all does a Nazi salute in a photo with the caption "Hail Byrd", the name of their trainer.
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/l...4937697a7.html
Old 12-05-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Correction: correction officers, not police officers. Still very, very bad of course.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
West Virginia police academy graduating class all does a Nazi salute in a photo with the caption "Hail Byrd", the name of their trainer.
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/l...4937697a7.html
This seems like much ado about very little.

Seems like they are just giving a nudge to an overly-strict training office. You ever refer to a teacher or a supervisor who drives you hard a 'Nazi'? A joke picture that was never meant to be public.

Ill advised, to be sure. Poor judgement, yeah. Them showing themselves to be Nazis or white supremacists? I don't think so. Especially since one is black and 4 of them couldn't get the hand gesture right.

-God
Old 12-06-2019, 01:11 AM

Two robbers hold up a jewelry store in Florida and during the escape hijack a UPS truck taking the driver hostage. 11 police officers open fire. The two robbers, the UPS driver hostage and the innocent driver of another car end up dead.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...238090049.html

So who killed the two innocents?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Two robbers hold up a jewelry store in Florida and during the escape hijack a UPS truck taking the driver hostage. 11 police officers open fire. The two robbers, the UPS driver hostage and the innocent driver of another car end up dead.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...238090049.html

So who killed the two innocents?
The UPS driver? Could be either set of parties. The bystander? Probably the cops. Will we learn who shot who? Not for a long time.

Video of the final shootout. It is gruesome. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vo-T2_R7oA Note the swiss cheesing of the side of the UPS van. Also note police using innocent people, including children, as concealment for their approach to the van.

Fucking incompetent cowards. The lot of them. Russian cops approve of how this was handled. Look at the holes on the side of that van. That look like aimed fire to you?

The police in this country only really care about getting home at the end of the day. They sort of care about apprehending criminals If they have to hose down a crowded street so they can make it through a deadly force encounter, so be it.

I thought Idiocracy was a ham-handed satire. I didn't think it would be prescient.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Are police are little more than military cosplayers.

This is fucking insane. No one wants the police to just let robbers and hostage-takers get away, but between "let them go" and "re-enact the battle of Mogadishu", there's got to be a better approach. What the fuck kind of training did these guys have? They were using cars full of bystanders as cover, for Christ's sake! Did Michael Bay do their training films?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:23 PM

So, UPS can track their trucks, and they even let you track your delivery in real time as it's being driven on the truck with a simple phone app, but Miami police felt they had to assault this vehicle while it was stuck in slow or stalled traffic and surrounded by vehicles occupied by civilians because otherwise the bad guys might get away?

Insanely irresponsible.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Are police are little more than military cosplayers.

This is fucking insane. No one wants the police to just let robbers and hostage-takers get away, but between "let them go" and "re-enact the battle of Mogadishu", there's got to be a better approach. What the fuck kind of training did these guys have? They were using cars full of bystanders as cover, for Christ's sake! Did Michael Bay do their training films?
'Warriors on the homefront', I've heard them describe themselves. Long way from Peel's Principles.

UPS trucks are GPS tracked. Call up UPS, get a real time location of the truck, maintain surveillance. Alternatively, PIT the vehicle along one of the more deserted stretches of road in the 25 mile chase. It's going to be really rough on the hostage, but it confines the drama to a smaller, more easily controlled area. And it's infinitely better than trying to use suppressive fire on a target surrounded by friendlies. They nearly shot each other, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if some officers were getting medical care for taking fragments from all of the ricochets and spall.

Not letting them break containment from the jewelry store robber scene would be ideal, as would stopping them between the jewelry store and carjacking the UPS truck.

Just complete reckless disregard by the firing officers for any human life or safety other than their own. In a perfect world, that reckless disregard for safety, coupled with the deaths of the bystander and the hostage, should result in manslaughter charges. In our world, nothing of substance will happen. Doubt many of the officers will lose their jobs over this, and if they do, they'll just get hired somewhere else. Any monetary penalty will ultimately just be paid by the taxpayers.